• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q1: Wii reaches 100 m (3DS 32.48 m/Wii U 3.61 m), Posts Q1 Profit

javac

Wii U would have trouble reaching the goal Nintendo are giving it as is. Throw in the next Gen systems and even 3DS which will be taking up most space on shelves as well as in the consumers mind-share and it's not a good position to be in.

It is expected. New console, price is higher than mass market price (200-250) and best of all NO GAMES.

Shit Einstein, Wii U is not selling.

They should have launched this year, the year in advanced has only done damage to the Wii U in terms of Doom articles everywhere, but I guess having a small near 4m console lead is good.

I don't know if they've been posted or not available, but is there any sign of those colourful slides they do comparing other platforms and top games sold in the period?

jcm

It is disingenuous because it suggests the 3DS business isn't profitable which is very unlikely at this stage. The 3DS business isn't doing good enough to offset the WiiU failures, but that doesn't mean the 3DS business isn't doing good by itself. If you're trying to find out where the real problem is, the WiiU is the far bigger target, that's my point.
I would say that the 3DS business is not doing good by itself. It's probably profitable, but there's plenty of room between profitable and good.

And as been pointed out before, the software sales comparison is not a 1:1 comparison since on the 3DS side there's no accounting for DD-only titles.

Is there any reason to believe that DD-only titles have a material impact on Nintendo's bottom line?

gtj1092

It is disingenuous because it suggests the 3DS business isn't profitable which is very unlikely at this stage. The 3DS business isn't doing good enough to offset the WiiU failures, but that doesn't mean the 3DS business isn't doing good by itself. If you're trying to find out where the real problem is, the WiiU is the far bigger target, that's my point.

And as been pointed out before, the software sales comparison is not a 1:1 comparison since on the 3DS side there's no accounting for DD-only titles.

Do you honestly think that eshop represents 50% of sales when nintendo themselves get excited when a title has a 80:20 retail to digital sales ratio. No way to spin it 3DS software sales are way down from DS.

jcm

Ah, pretty much near from what I expected. This might sound silly, what about MS and Sony? I'm curious with their cash in hand.

MSFT: $77.0B in cash and short term, $12.6B in debt
SNE: $16.2B in cash and short term, $10.9B in debt
NTDOY $8.8B in cash and short term, 0 debt

Do you honestly think that eshop represents 50% of sales when nintendo themselves get excited when a title has a 80:20 retail to digital sales ratio. No way to spin it 3DS software sales are way down from DS.

Actually, those digital sales are included. They only exclude digital sales for titles that aren't sold at retail. This may be new; they changed the language in the earnings release.

I'm not talking about retail titles that have DD versions (which would be accounted for in that comparison). I'm talking about DD only titles that cannot be found at retail. Of course 3DS software sales are down from the DS, but that doesn't mean that comparison is reliably accurate.

I would say that the 3DS business is not doing good by itself. It's probably profitable, but there's plenty of room between profitable and good.

I'd agree there. But that's probably also where we differ. Then again it's not like our opinions matter to Nintendo :p

Is there any reason to believe that DD-only titles have a material impact on Nintendo's bottom line?

To the extent that 3DS software sales suddenly compare favourably against DS sales? Unlikely. But it'd certainly look better from a revenue standpoint.

No it won't, it'll drop like it has been since 2010. It's dead in Japan, and Europe sales are always under US sales.

Given Wii did 450k in the US last holiday, I don't know what you're expecting this year.

The PS1 is somewhere over 101million. The Wii will reach that easily.

Hard to believe Nintendo posted a profit despite the WiiU. I wonder how low sales would have to be before they decide to cut their losses and drop support like they did with the virtual boy.

Hard to believe Nintendo posted a profit despite the WiiU. I wonder how low sales would have to be before they decide to cut their losses and drop support like they did with the virtual boy.

They have several weapons to use before they would ever give up on the system.

1.Marketing.
2.Price Cut.
3.Big name exclusive software in the next 18 months.

If the system is still selling like it is now in April 2015 then I think they will quickly move on and show their next console at E3 2015 with an Xmas 2015 launch. It's that or either just pull out of the console business, make games for PS4/XBO and continue to support 3DS and it's successor.

They posted an operating loss though, which isn't good. The fact that they posted an overall profit has more to do with an increase in the value of their foreign assets due to favourable exchange rates with the yen rather than the company doing well.

The operating income is basically basically the gross income minus the operating expenses, so I would say it's a better indication of the health of the company.
Operating Loss - The net loss recorded as a result of a company's unprofitable operation, considering only the company's operating income versus its operating expenditures. An operating loss does not consider the effects of interest income, interest expense or taxes, but in some cases includes depreciation expense. A company which consistently generates operating losses will require outside financing in order to avoid bankruptcy.

Obviously I think it could be much worse for them, but things aren't exactly great.

F#A#Oo

Banned
I have no Wii U regrets.

My only issue is that it's clear Nintendo really didn't handle the jump to HD well and marketed the console all wrong but ah well I hope it means Nintendo is working triple hard to turn the Wii U around.

Those happy with Nintendo's mismanagement should really reflect upon what this hobby means to them really if they would be happy with Nintendo quitting gaming.

I have no Wii U regrets.

My only issue is that it's clear Nintendo really didn't handle the jump to HD well and marketed the console all wrong but ah well I hope it means Nintendo is working triple hard to turn the Wii U around.

Those happy with Nintendo's mismanagement should really reflect upon what this hobby means to them really if they would be happy with Nintendo quitting gaming.

I won't be happy, but i will be when iwata and the rest of the board is jettisoned out of nintendo and miyamoto is locked away in a room with a 10-20 person dev team

Lambtron

Unconfirmed Member
If the system is still selling like it is now in April 2015 then I think they will quickly move on and show their next console at E3 2015 with an Xmas 2015 launch. It's that or either just pull out of the console business, make games for PS4/XBO and continue to support 3DS and it's successor.
I personally wouldn't wager a lot of money on either of those scenarios happening.

There are two important things to note, year over year, from looking at their financial statement.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2013/130731e.pdf

Numbers in parenthesis is negative.

Code:
                          Q1 2012            Q1 2013: (in yen)         Change
Net Sales (revenue)      84,813 M          81,548M                      (3.85%)
Cost of sales (COGS)   59,937M           45,144M                      (24.68%)
Gross Profit           24,876M           36,404M                      46.34%
Operating Income         (10,331M)         (4,924M)                     (52.34%)

So looking briefly, even though revenues dropped 3.85%, COGS declined 24.68%, which led to their Operating Income loss to decline 52.34%.

On top of that, they stated:

Nintendo said:
For the “Wii U” system, we will attempt to concentrate on proactively releasing key first-party titles from the second
half of this year through next year to regain momentum for the platform. Starting with “Pikmin 3,” which was released in
Japan and Europe in July and will be released in the United States in August, we plan on releasing key titles such as “The
Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD,” “Wii Party U,” “Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze,” “Super Mario 3D
World,” and “Wii Fit U.” Moreover, Nintendo strives to improve the sales by communicating the compelling nature of our
hardware and software to as many people as possible through our new network service called “Miiverse,” which offers an
environment where people can empathize with others and share their gaming experiences. We also strive to improve
hardware profitability by reducing its costs.

So they're continuing to lower Wii U hardware manufacturing costs.

Overall, they're making good progress considering the disaster of the Wii U launch.

I won't be happy, but i will be when iwata and the rest of the board is jettisoned out of nintendo and miyamoto is locked away in a room with a 10-20 person dev team
I seriously hope that you are not betting your happiness on the chances of that happening.

They posted an operating loss though, which isn't good. The fact that they posted an overall profit has more to do with an increase in the value of their foreign assets due to favourable exchange rates with the yen rather than the company doing well.

The operating income is basically basically the gross income minus the operating expenses, so I would say it's a better indication of the health of the company.

Obviously I think it could be much worse for them, but things aren't exactly great.
I guess in summary: it is good that they posted a profit, but its generally not cool to rely on the unpredictable foreign asset exchange. They were fortunate this quarter, but that may or may not be favorable next quarter. It's obviously good for be short term, but its too unstable to count on for he long term. Nintendo is counting on some massive gains soon, so we will see how that will go.

I seriously hope that you are not betting your happiness on the chances of that happening.

I guess in summary: it is good that they posted a profit, but its generally not cool to rely on the unpredictable foreign asset exchange. They were fortunate this quarter, but that may or may not be favorable next quarter. It's obviously good for be short term, but its too unstable to count on for he long term. Nintendo is counting on some massive gains soon, so we will see how that will go.

Their forecasts include the Yen strengthening from 98Y/D to 90Y/D by fiscal year end. So we'll see how that goes.

mattchuuu

Neo Member
Quite a low ratio of total Wii U software/hardware shipped in Japan.

Region: Total hardware shipped / Total software shipped ... ratio
Japan: 1,010,000 / 1,910,000 ... 1.89
Americas: 1,580,000 / 7,800,000 ... 4.94
Other: 1,020,000 / 4,730,000 ...4.64

Road

I think Japan being a relatively small country don't allow many retailers to keep a room full of unsold Wii U games.

Japan has also had significantly fewer games hit retail. At the end of reporting period, there was 24 games out in Japan at the end of report, while the US had about that many at launch.

Regarding the software. Based on revenue figures, US sell-through is ~3M units.

In all likelihood more than half of those Americas Wii U software shipments are sitting on shelves or in warehouses.

I think it's been mentioned before in Media Create, retailers are less likely to have returns provisions, so they're less likely to take on inventory they don't think will sell. So that might be why the software numbers for Japan are less inflated.

Actually, does anyone know the policy on financial reporting when retailers return goods?
What's the LTD worldwide totals for PS3 and 360. Do you guys think they will eventually beat the Wii totals?
I think the PS3 will ultimately pass 100M if it manages to retain strength in Europe and expands in emerging markets. The PSP still sells surprisingly well in Europe for instance.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
Nintendo will not abandon the wii u no matter how badly it does. They stuck with the gc for 5 years despite getting its ass kicked. They still posted a profit, that's the bottom line.

Things need to get even worse before Nintendo decides to change direction. That last 2+ years of the wii and the wii u launch did nothing to change their mindset.

clem84

Gold Member
Sales figures for 3DS are so good, and the ones for WiiU so bad, that it seriously makes me wonder if the 3DS wasn't around, if Nintendo wouldn't pull the plug on WiiU. If they're barely making a profit with such a good performance from the 3DS, the WiiU must cost them a fortune.

AniHawk

nintendo had 960,000 wii us sold in japan, or 50,000 sitting on store shelves. in the us, they sold about 1.2m even, and have 380k sitting on store shelves (that's going to last them through at least november without something drastic happening).

not sure about europe. we never get numbers from there. it's my theory that the tyrannical monarchy of great britain is to blame. they prevent other countries from releasing numbers under the threat of war.

nintendo had 960,000 wii us sold in japan, or 50,000 sitting on store shelves. in the us, they sold about 1.2m even, and have 380k sitting on store shelves (that's going to last them through at least november without something drastic happening).

not sure about europe. we never get numbers from there. it's my theory that the tyrannical monarchy of great britain is to blame. they prevent other countries from releasing numbers under the threat of war.

I believe the end of fy report in march had 900k shipped to eu with around 450k as sold. I'll go see if i ca find it.

Striek

There are two important things to note, year over year, from looking at their financial statement.

[...]

Overall, they're making good progress considering the disaster of the Wii U launch.
Yeah I thought this was interesting too. They do note that sales and COGS were affected by yen depreciation, decreased hardware proportion of sales and 3DS margin increases (would love to see how much is impact of 3DS XL vs. lower production costs).

What you think about the progress depends on how you define progress. Really the trick for Nintendo has never been returning to operating profitability per se. Its returning there whilst salvaging the Wii U and lifting the 3DS higher (both of which Nintendo forecasts it will do this year), which are very important long term priorities for the company.

I believe the end of fy report in march had 900k shipped to eu with around 450k as sold. I'll go see if i ca find it.
In thousands. Shipped is to all Other territories, while Est. Sold is European.
Code:
	Shipped		Est. Sold
Dec-12	900		425*
Mar-13	110		122*
Jun-13	10		52**
[B]	1020		599[/B]
* Extrapolation of Nintendo's charts by Road.
** Extrapolation of reported sell-through data by Aquamarine.

I think this is a reasonable estimate.

Top Bottom