• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Q4 FYE 3/15 Results - Beats Market Expectations, FY15 Guidance Announced

E-phonk

Banned
3DS may be older, but it has an installed base that is generating profit.

3DS needs a replacement, because nintendo needs at least one successful platform. They are forecasting another decline to 7m (from 9m) - they know the 3DS is on it's way out.

The 3DS may be profitable, but it has also been stagnating for quite some time and is a pretty unhealthy platform when compared to previous Nintendo handhelds. Hardware sales are in a constant decline, its attach rate is the lowest of any moderately successful Nintendo platform to date, third-party support is sub-par and there's very little to look forward to on the first-party front as well. I feel this is mainly due to the fact that the 3DS went through most of its design phase well before smart devices redefined portable gaming, and was never really a product that met the needs of the current market as a result. A real answer to the smartphone boom (aside from the DeNA partnership) is much more crucial for Nintendo's dedicated gaming business than a hasty Wii U replacement.

Agree

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Curious. How many quarters has Nintendo posted a loss since the Wii-U came out?

McHuj

3DS needs a replacement, because nintendo needs at least one successful platform. They are forecasting another decline to 7m (from 9m) - they know the 3DS is on it's way out.

I agree. I don't think you want to get to a point where software sales dry up and you're introducing a new system. A new system, by definition, has a small install base and will generate limited revenue. I believe you want to introduce early enough so that when your older platform starts to completely fall off, the install base on the new platform is meaningful for software sales. In my opinion, that time would be this fiscal year.

Snakeyes

I agree. I don't think you want to get to a point where software sales dry up and you're introducing a new system. A new system, by definition, has a small install base and will generate limited revenue. I believe you want to introduce early enough so that when your older platform starts to completely fall off, the install base on the new platform is meaningful for software sales. In my opinion, that time would be this fiscal year.
That's a good point too. They need to try and leverage what little momentum the 3DS has left to boost the next handheld instead of dragging it out. Another Wii to Wii U-like transition could put their dedicated handheld business on the ropes.

Just put out the new Fire Emblem, another Pokemon game, the new Yokai Watch, a couple cheap GameCube ports and call it a day.

Mathematically speaking if Nintendo had to pay Sony / MS / Steam even 30 % of the sales....then the game would have to sell 30 % more to compensate.

So the question is, would Mk8 sell 30 % more being on other platforms. If MK would sell 10 million on all platforms, then the splitting of profit is irrelevant in monetary terms. Political and strategic is another story.

The interesting thing about the back to profits is there is no mention of Amiibo, which was probably a big contributor to profits.

Your mathematics is very wrong. If they had to give 30% to Sony they would need to sell another 43% of a game to make the same profit, not another 30%.

If they had to give 50% to Sony, they'd have to sell double (100% more) to make the same profit as selling on their own platform.

AniHawk

So probably no NX in 2016, I'm fine with this, Wii U still have much to offer.

i actually do think it's 2016. the software side of nintendo's been winding down on both fronts this year. the days of showcasing a platform over a year in advance are long gone.

Top Bottom