• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo reveals demographics of Wii U eShop users (age ranges, 93M:7F gender ratio)

I dont understand why everyone thinks the female ratio is low. My wife always uses my mii for the eshop since the payment is saved. Same with the kid. I would think this is common. They never chose their mii at start up.

Listen to this man Nintendo. No one switches accounts via Miis. No one.

They tried. They made a system that features an inoffensive, family friendly "tablet" type of controller, whose main sell is that it can be used to play games while boyfriends/girlfriends/brothers/sisters/moms/dads are watching television. They backed it with a ton of gender inclusive, family friendly advertising, supported by a bunch of DS/Wii casual style games. All of this happened before, during, and after launch.

It failed to catch on. No one cared, because they were too busy with their smartphones and iPads, with Flappy Bird, Minecraft, and Candy Crush Saga.

Trying isn't enough....you can't just win an audience over because you put up a half-assed effort to try and win their dollar; and that's the thing..."half-assed" sums up the core WiiU strategy pretty well.

The Tablet controller is humongous and has a bunch of buttons; it's stuck somewhere between the design philosophies behind the simplistic intuitive Wiimote and the complicated core focused Dualshock, this makes it really unappealing to both audiences because it's a "Jack of All Trades Master of None".

Nintendo Land suffers from the fact that none of it's ideas (despite their quality) are as appealing or as intuitive as just playing real world sports games in a simplistic and familiar way. Running around as little Samus Miis in a battle arena fighting against a gunship sounds like something that's supposed to appeal to young men...but unfortunately for Metroid Blast it's art direction is too cutesy and it's dynamics are too simplistic for that.
Nintendo Land is a lot like the core WiiU strategy, many of it's mini-games are trying their best too appeal to two different demographics but it fails because there a better more dedicated options on the market.
This is also very true of the WiiU's early software ecosystem...Nintendo was pushing the likes of Zombie U, Darksiders2, Batman, and Assasin's Creed pretty hard; hell, they were promoting them just about as much as they were promoting their youth/family/casual-aimed software like NSMBU and Nintendo Land. That kind of software mixing sends confusing messages to potential consumers, it causes them to ask "Who is the machine for, and why shouldn't I just go for software ecosystems that are completely dedicated to my needs?"
Blue ocean consumers want the best software ecosystem for youth/family/casual-centric software, and "Red Ocean" consumers want the best software ecosystem for young male-centric games; you can't really realistically have both in this day and age.

Furthermore, those commercials you pointed out are only superficially similar to the "Wii Would Like to Play!" (god that was genius) commercials.
Look at these commercials (it's compilation, these commercials were often shown separately), they are so relatable and fun but they're also incredibly focused.
All of the youth/family/casual software features people who you really wouldn't expect to play AAA PS3/360 games (Little girls, young women, middle age women, middle age men, old women, old men, families etc.), and they all look like they're having a blast! Plus, the editing makes every action these people are performing super readable. It's easy to see these commercials and assume that someone was thinking "Whoa, that controller is letting them bowl like it's the real thing. I wanna try that myself!"
Also you'll notice that there are TWO major commercials dedicated to this group.
Look at the commercial with Zelda, Metroid, and Red Steel; it's pretty damn clear who those games are aimed at, young males. The editing and shots make every action look powerful and focused.
On the TV/video advertisement side of things the message was pretty clear.

The WiiU advertising campaign is the complete opposite of this...it's weird and abstract. There is loud overbearing mechanical music...a bunch of unrelated people in rave boxes...a giant video game controller that kind of sort of looks like a DS but not really...the editing is erratic, it's kind of hard to see what's going on...
It's a mess, a complete and utter unappealing mess.

Saying, something akin to "Nintendo tried, but the WiiU failed to catch on because casuals don't care about consoles" is simplistic and shortsighted, it completely ignores why the Wii was a success and why Nintendo's actions in 2011-2012 were so hurtful to their business.

Speaking purely from anecdotal evidence...

Of all of my friends who are couples that live together and share consoles usually it's the guy who sets up the primary account and has his credit card info on the machine to buy games for both of them. I did the same thing when I lived with my ex, even for games I never played but she wanted.

Just something to think about.

Curufinwe

My wife is the only account holder for our 3DS and WiiU. I have a Mii on there, but I don't even bother switching to it when I play Bayonetta.

If Nintendo is that Male skewed than I imagine MS and Sony are similar? This is why I don't get how all those "females are 50% of the market" studies are relevant to console gaming (unless I'm misunderstanding?)

Edit: ah, the account thing makes sense though still it feel a bit too lopsided.

Edit 2: seems I had already said as much before. Didn't realize this was an old thread

GamerJM

Banned
Since this topic got bumped, to point out something kind of relevant, I went to a Smash tournament yesterday with over 70 entrants and it was 100% male.

faridmon

Wow, losing the female demography was the one that made the company lose a lot of money.

They should make more games which focuses on female. Bring back the gaming craze that was the DS and the Wii.

QaaQer

If Nintendo is that Male skewed than I imagine MS and Sony are similar? This is why I don't get how all those "females are 50% of the market" studies are relevant to console gaming (unless I'm misunderstanding?)

Edit: ah, the account thing makes sense though still it feel a bit too lopsided.

Edit 2: seems I had already said as much before. Didn't realize this was an old thread

1) info from advocacy group.

2) includes Facebook and phone games, at least the ones that aren't about kill animations and stabbing people.

Dr. Buni

I find the gender ratio weird because there is no way "male" gamers outnumber "female" gamers by such a large margin. That was perhaps the case in the 90s, but in 2014? Nah. Perhaps Nintendo games simply don't appeal to other women that much? I can only speak for myself but I only really buy Nintendo consoles for two or three franchises and the handhelds for the third party games. Overall, PC and Sony systems appeal to me a lot more in variety and quantity of games.

I also think nostalgia might play a huge role here, since supposedly a big part of Nintendo's fanbase is composed of people who are following the company since the NES and SNES days.
M$ maybe, but Sony and PC? No way.

ngower

I'm not surprised by the demographics, though I do imagine something like 20-30% of those are dads/husbands setting up the system for their wives and children. A more accurate ratio might be something like 70/30.

QaaQer

I'm not surprised by the demographics, though I do imagine something like 20-30% of those are dads/husbands setting up the system for their wives and children. A more accurate ratio might be something like 70/30.

Because electronics and numbers confuse women?

Arkam

For certain. I don't think anyone thinks the Wii U only has 1% in the 0-12 age range.

Have to remember this is the internet... and GAF.
But yea, these numbers clearly show a subgroup and not entire wiiu userbase.

"70+% of connected users (i.e. 63% overall) visit eShop on a "regular basis". Many of those people are repeat."

Read that aloud to yourself. LOL

Lunar15

There is some kind of irony in the fact that only 6% of the userbase is actually under the age of 18.

Nintendo is not appealing to kids at all with this thing, despite it seemingly being their main goal with how they design the interface and the games they're putting out.

EDIT: Oh, tied to credit cards? Hrm.

FUCK: This is kind of an old thread. That's what I get for not reading.

Top Bottom