• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo suspiciously dont have a Black Friday week game announced for Switch

I don’t get this - are you saying Mario is going to disappear from stores before Black Friday? Game companies don’t commonly time brand new games to release specifically on Black Friday.

Mario Tennis: Hyper Smash Plus as release schedule filler. Believe.

In all honesty though, when Nintendo is already selling every Switch they can produce they could probably get away with holding a game or two back...

Aren't Fire Emblem Warriors and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 still without confirmed release dates? It's probably one of those unless Nintendo see Pokemon as the biggest game they have because of the 3DS install base.

XandBosch

Rumors from where?

I can't remember what the original source was, one of the people who have thrown out stuff in the past...but I can't remember who.

Supermetaldave maybe? He was the dude who originally predicted/leaked the two metroids rumour.

EDIT: Looking at his YouTube vids, he has some videos about it (haven't watched them) but I'm not sure if he was the original guy who said it.

yuoke

Banned
I can't remember what the original source was, one of the people who have thrown out stuff in the past...but I can't remember who.

Supermetaldave maybe? He was the dude who originally predicted/leaked the two metroids rumour.

EDIT: Looking at his YouTube vids, he has some videos about it (haven't watched them) but I'm not sure if he was the original guy who said it.
SMD also said the nx wpuld be 4k and more powerful than the ps4 pro. He doesn't have credibility.

c1d

They can't even make the Switch fast enough right now - pretty sure anyone holding out for some kind of black Friday Mario Odyssey bundle is going to be severely disappointed

Their catalogue sales are strong enough.

Mario Kart DX will outsell lots of new releases.

I can see SNES Classic being their BF star though.

MomoQca

I'm hoping Xenoblade 2 is the Black Friday title. It could probably benefit from the holiday rush especially if it gets raving reviews. Monolith Soft deserves to have their game as the Switch's totem this holiday period.

redcrayon

FE Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim or the SNES classic could all fit in the slot for that Friday. Realistically once you look at how many weeks are left between the start of October and early December, and knock off two for Pokemon and Mario Odyssey, there's only so many slots left and several products without release dates.

My money is on both Skyrim and the SNES Classic.

SalvaPot

They always release big games the week before Black Friday, its been known as Nintendo days around here, even.

My money is on Smash Switch, Pokemon USUM, and one more new unnanounced title to complement them, pipe dream would be Animal Crossing Switch to coincide with the mobile phone game.

Edit: Forgot about Skyrim, yeah low-ball its going to be that, Nintendo is publishing after all.

yuoke

Banned
They always release big games the week before Black Friday, its been known as Nintendo days around here, even.

My money is on Smash Switch, Pokemon USUM, and one more new unnanounced title to complement them, pipe dream would be Animal Crossing Switch to coincide with the mobile phone game.
There was nothing in 2015.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
FE Warriors, Xenoblade 2, Skyrim or the SNES classic could all fit in the slot for that Friday. Realistically once you look at how many weeks are left between the start of October and early December, and knock off two for Pokemon and Mario Odyssey, there's only so many slots left and several products without release dates.

My money is on both Skyrim and the SNES Classic.

The OP is from June; SNES Classic releases on September 29th.

Last year the big star was the $99/$149 CDN Mario edition New 3DS, which was pretty awesome.

Of the known lot I say Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is the most likely candidate, and honestly would be a great honor for it and shows effort to pushing it IMO. I would be nice to see Nintendo push a game that's not obviously going to see gangbusters on Black Friday, which XC2 obviously (sadly) wouldn't.

Everyone's going to look at Odyssey, Kart, and Splatoon 2 anyway, so why would they need another huge hitter hogging the spotlight?

this is a 2 month old thread

It's still just as true today.

I'm gonna agree that it's probably gonna be Skyrim, but I think it actually changed from Nintendo publishing it (in the E3 documentation) now to Bethesda publishing it. So I'm not sure if that has any bearing on when they would want it released.

Cartho

I believe the surprise is a 3rd party game for this year. Overwatch is my guess.

I'd love to believe but I can't see them releasing Overwatch without any hype. I mean surely they'd have announced a game like OW at E3? Unless they're gonna do a big surprise reveal at Gamescom. Possible I suppose.

Also, the thought of Overwatch without public voice chat makes me want to top myself. Salmon run is frustrating enough let alone a highly team composition / tactics based hero shooter like OW.

night814

I expect they're priority is getting switches themselves on the store shelves for the holidays. A new big game would be nice especially Smash or XC2 coming out on that classic November 18th release day. They need to make sure they have the actual systems more than any individual game.

There was nothing in 2015.

It was a pretty weak one, but they still dropped two games the week before Black Friday. Pokemon Super Mystery Dungeon and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash.

I'd be surprised if we got nothing but Pokemon on that day, but considering their current one game a month switch strategy, and the fact that FE Warriors and Xenoblade 2 still just have nebulous "2017" release dates I suspect it'll be one of those.

Kyzer

Banned
There doesn't have to be a game for that week. Games coming out a few weeks earlier will still benefit. Besides, it will probably be FEWarriors

I'm predicting it will probably be Skyrim. Maybe Xenoblade 2, but I think that comes in December. Don't think it will be some crazy exciting unannounced game. They have enough games announced right now to fill the release schedule for the rest of the year IMO.

I think having Zelda, Mario Odyssey, Mario Kart, and Splatoon all lined up next to each other will be enough to sell the Switch through the holiday.

Top Bottom