• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch big issue: It cannot be used docked if battery breaks

Do you think is actually a big issue for you?

• Yes

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 30 50.0%

• Total voters

Kataploom

Gold Member
I know, I know, this may be obvious to some of you and I actually have been wondering this for years but someone finally confirms it. This is a video I saw earlier today and left me thinking (spanish, enable automatic caption translation for english):

This is definitely bs and I don't know the reason behind batteries not being removable. Saving some peanuts for a short time in exchange of consumer benefit and maybe bad press when many Switch batteries phase out? I don't think it's worth it, because it will eventually happen.

There's a new UE law that demands all portable devices to have removable batteries so I hope this is one and done for this practice around consumer electronics these days.

Ev1L AuRoN

I have a V1 model that I bought in 2018, I mostly play docked and the battery surprisingly still works great, around 2~3 hours in heavy titles and 5 hours in indies games.
When the battery finally starts to die, I'm thinking about buying one in AliExpress.

I have a V1 model that I bought in 2018, I mostly play docked and the battery surprisingly still works great, around 2~3 hours in heavy titles and 5 hours in indies games.
When the battery finally starts to die, I'm thinking about buying one in AliExpress.

I have a day one launch model from March 2017 and the battery last as long now as it did six years ago. I’ve literally never had a single problem and I use it all the time.

Muffdraul

Not an issue for me. I played my Switch undocked once for less than 5 min the day I got it in May 2017, I've only played it docked since. After over six years of solid use, if it breaks now, I'll just buy a new one. I've had various other consoles break down in much, much less time.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Thankfully batteries in the Switch aren't horrible to have replaced. I had it done in my launch Switch for $80 including the cost of the battery. Or if you have some patience ifixit has a guide and will sell you a battery for 40 bucks.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Without having seen the whole video. Going to assume that we're talking DOA or drained dead over time lithium-ion is the case in which it wouldn't play docked. Which is something everyone should have already known. Got my Switch for my birthday (yeah, it took me awhile) in September 2022. My wife bought it 3-weeks prior to and the day I connected; the battery had drained to 0 while in the box. When I docked it to play, nothing...until it got to about 3% charge. I've never let the battery go below 50 since but that right there already showed that it's inoperable docked if the battery is completely drained or dead. On the plus side, my wife has been playing hers regularly since 2018. Except for when she took a year off from playing it in 2021. When she went back to it, there were no battery or charge issues and it's holding up great for 5 + years. Besides that, they're not super over-priced to me at this point that I wouldn't just buy another if this were to happen.

Hope they consider fixing this for 'Switch 2' though.

Most PC laptops also do not operate if you remove the battery and then plug it in.

Most phones also do not operate if you remove the battery and then plug it in.

I'm not sure how this is a Switch problem. The battery actually is an important part of the electrical system of the device. They are typically not designed to operate without the battery present.

A 3rd party replacement battery for the Switch is less than 20 bucks on Amazon. You can easily DIY a battery replacement on a Switch, watch a Youtube video that shows you how.

Last edited:
Yeah, this is a huge problem for me. Not today - but in 10 or 15 years. I was really hoping the docked mode would still work regardless of battery situation (like AC adapter for a PSP say). Very disappointing to hear this.

Dream-Knife

Banned
It sort of bothered me when I first found out about it, but anymore not really. My OG died and was replaced by a V2. I used to just leave it docked all the time, but it's in a drawer now and it seems to hold it charge fine, unlike the controllers.

Switch is popular enough there will probably always be batteries available for it. Plus switch emulation is so good now that it's not like the library would be lost forever.

ManaByte

It sort of bothered me when I first found out about it, but anymore not really. My OG died and was replaced by a V2. I used to just leave it docked all the time, but it's in a drawer now and it seems to hold it charge fine, unlike the controllers.

Switch is popular enough there will probably always be batteries available for it. Plus switch emulation is so good now that it's not like the library would be lost forever.
If Switch 2 is BC this won’t be an issue.

ChazAshley

Gold Member
Yeah this doesn't surprise me, I didn't watch the video so apologies if it mentions it. I left my switch in storage for an extended period of time so the battery drained. I expected to play while it charged up while being docked, but no, I had to actually wait a little for some juice to get in before it even worked docked mode. It's unfortunate it's like that.

Mortisfacio

If I liked Nintendo games, then yah, but my Switch mostly just collects dust. I haven't even finished TotK because I fell for the 96 meta and my experience was a very boring game that doesn't respect my time. Not even my kids want to play it. They just play the PS5 or Series X.

alf717

I'm sure someone will come up with a way to bypass this like they did with the WiiU Gamepad.

I did see a pretty cool consolized Switch mods on YT once that still needed the battery to be hooked up pretty cool what an overclocked Switch is capable of.

ReBurn

Gold Member
That's just kicking the can down the road. Switch 2 will likely have the same issue. We also don't know how easy it will be to emulate.
It's so common for mobile devices that it borders on ridiculous. It should be mandatory that users can easily change batteries in expensive devices without risk of breaking them.

Dream-Knife

Banned
I’m sorry but I don’t buy a console based on how easy it is to pirate its games.
You're old enough to know that emulation =/= piracy. But lose all your games, I don't care.
It's so common for mobile devices that it borders on ridiculous. It should be mandatory that users can easily change batteries in expensive devices without risk of breaking them.
You can't easily change the battery on your phone with a glass back either.
But if you keep kicking the can, you're all good.
Maybe. What do you play your gameboy and ds/3ds games on these days?

MarkMe2525

You're old enough to know that emulation =/= piracy. But lose all your games, I don't care.

You can't easily change the battery on your phone with a glass back either.

Maybe. What do you play your gameboy and ds/3ds games on these days?
I play Gameboy on my many retro handhelds, mostly my anbernic Nano. Ds on my phone mostly for convenience. 3ds only on native hardware, I'm the weird one who actually likes the 3d.

Edit: I imagine by the time my switch dies, I'll be emulating that platform as well.

Edit edit: many people own a switch and emulate the games specifically for mods or enhanced performance. It's not just about getting the games for free.

Last edited:

ReBurn

Gold Member
I play Gameboy on my many retro handhelds, mostly my anbernic Nano. Ds on my phone mostly for convenience. 3ds only on native hardware, I'm the weird one who actually likes the 3d.

Edit: I imagine by the time my switch dies, I'll be emulating that platform as well.
I primarily use an Anbernic RG351M for my retro handheld gaming and I like it a lot. Its screen is the same resolution and aspect ratio as the GBA and those games on it are so good. I still use my 3DS hardware for 3DS games and the handful of DS games I still have. The prices are ridiculous but I'd like to get another one for backup.

Dream-Knife

Banned
Oh don’t even try to claim that. The only reason to “emulate” a console that is currently available is for piracy.
Or to play it at 4k60, but this thread isn't about now. It's about when your console dies and can't be played.

Edit edit: many people own a switch and emulate the games specifically for mods or enhanced performance. It's not just about getting the games for free.
I actually picked up a backlit and biverted DMG a few years ago. It's pretty awesome.

radewagon

Hybrid my ass. This is a portable console for $300 buck and $70 games.

I wish this console never existed.
Tom Hardy Bait GIF

Serge85

Well...is not ideal, but you can replace the battery, no solder required, just a screwdriver and some care.

MarkMe2525

Or to play it at 4k60, but this thread isn't about now. It's about when your console dies and can't be played.

I actually picked up a backlit and biverted DMG a few years ago. It's pretty awesome.
That really does sound awesome. I'm always torn about buying modified og hardware. It is the best way to play for sure, but I do love the versatility of emulation. I have to have save states too.

CamHostage

Most PC laptops also do not operate if you remove the battery and then plug it in.

Most phones also do not operate if you remove the battery and then plug it in.

I'm not sure how this is a Switch problem. The battery actually is an important part of the electrical system of the device. They are typically not designed to operate without the battery present.

Yep, same with PS Vita I believe, by the way (maybe also 3DS too?) It cannot just run off of the wall charger, it needs a minimum charge to start up.

(*You will notice this with your phone if you ever let it run totlly dead, it'll show a blinking battery for the first 1% of startup and won't boot.)

It makes a little sense, a modern OS will check for some juice as it doesn't want the device to under-run or conk out in boot and make any errors on the storage or other parts. However, it sucks that these devices have a death sentence.

Top Bottom