• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Dev Kit Stats Leaked? Cortex A57, 4GB RAM, 32GB Storage, Multi-Touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecosse_011172

It gives us plenty of insight in the potential power envelope. Most likely estimates put it at the position I posted above.

But obviously you can just disregard the leak entirely if you prefer.

No need to disregard it entirely but putting it at x% of console y is silly.
I can try though:
XBO CPU runs 10% faster than the PS4's so Xbox one is 10% more powerful.

Hoo-doo

Banned
No need to disregard it entirely but putting it at x% of console y is silly.
I can try though:
XBO CPU runs 10% faster than the PS4's so Xbox one is 10% more powerful.

Yeah. Totally the same thing.

Likely estimates put the GPU of the Switch at 33% of the Xbox One GPU in docked mode. Satisfied?

Using overconfident technically illiterate posters to create a strawman that bolsters your personal speculation doesn't really alter the fundamental argument here.

From a business strategy standpoint, there are games that may be able to scale down enough to run on the switch at the docked clock speeds, but would require fundamental changes to the nature of the game to make it work at the undocked speeds specified by Eurogamer. If you want those games on your platform, it's an issue that you can't ignore.

The Eurogamer leak makes it pretty clear that developers can choose to keep the undocked clock speeds even when displaying on a television, if that's their choice. They also have a choice of memory bus speeds while undocked as well. My point is that this is clearly a flexible system that grants a measure of developer control. If allowing docked speeds at the expense of battery life means more games on the platform, I think Nintendo would be foolish to rule it out entirely. They just have to communicate to consumers adequately that these games will have a much shorter playtime while on the go due to how much they push the system. People are already used to this playing the more graphically intense games on their Apple or Android devices. The battery life goes completely to shit when the GPU is really working hard.

There is nothing stopping a game that runs in docked mode from running undocked with a lower resolution. And that's exactly what to expect from most games.

foltzie1

It wouldn't be surprising that Nintendo and Nvidia have done some customizations that might help the system "punch above its weight" the way the Gamecube, Wii, and Wii U chipsets did, but those end up being little used by third parties.

Except for the Wii and Gamecube mister. Some of the best looking games on those systems are third party for example the Resident Evils :)

Edit: the Wii U is the only Nintendo system were third parties didn't used the graphic capability at max :O

I said little used for a reason, sir ;). There is always an exception like Factor 5 and Capcom. But multi-platform titles usually dont (and really shouldn't) take advantage of odd chipset customizations.

Hermii

It's sad to me how bad people want this to be a cheap console and use maxwell 20 or 28nm so they can say "lol Nintendo." But this is neogaf as to be expected.
I don't think people want that, it's more that 28nm would be a possible way to explain the fan running at those clockspeeds.

There are people in this thread who would gladly pay 50$+ more for better specs.

Dekuboy

Neo Member
So as someone who doesn´t have any clue about all this hardware stuff. I only got one question:

Is it possibile to get the Kingdom hearts series for the Switch? In terms of power.

I mean 1.5,2.5, Chi and 3D HD shouldn´t be a huge problem, because this thing should handle PS3 games. 3D was even released on Nintendo handhelds.

But my concern lies with 0.2 and 3. Both are using UE4, which the switch supports and both are cell-shading games. If I look e.g. at zelda botw, it looks smiliar to KH series, just without all the effects. Also I think botw uses more of the cpu than KH, because of the physics.

So shouldn´t it be at least possible?

Schnozberry

There is nothing stopping a game that runs in docked mode from running undocked with a lower resolution. And that's exactly what to expect from most games.

In the scenario where developers are given no flexibility in undocked clocks, I would anticipate that more often than not developers of ambitious titles would just opt not to build for the platform if given the choice.

Hermii

Saying it's a third of an Xbox is a simplification that ignores a lot of things. Architectural differences, CPU, memory amount, bandwidth, fp16 calculations.

But it is a lot less powerful than an Xbox.

Mokujin

Using overconfident technically illiterate posters to create a strawman that bolsters your personal speculation doesn't really alter the fundamental argument here.

Now it's when you explain me how is it any different what you are doing, and from there I can tell you that my comments are way more reasonable than yours.

From a business strategy standpoint, there are games that may be able to scale down enough to run on the switch at the docked clock speeds, but would require fundamental changes to the nature of the game to make it work at the undocked speeds specified by Eurogamer. If you want those games on your platform, it's an issue that you can't ignore.

You can't just throw away all your hybrid concept just for the sake of trying to have all software, at that point they should just have scrapped Switch completely and made a Ps4 Pro powerful Wii U.

And it may be painful for those that wished for that, but Nintendo is releasing an hybrid system.

The Eurogamer leak makes it pretty clear that developers can choose to keep the undocked clock speeds even when displaying on a television, if that's their choice. They also have a choice of memory bus speeds while undocked as well. My point is that this is clearly a flexible system that grants a measure of developer control. If allowing docked speeds at the expense of battery life means more games on the platform, I think Nintendo would be foolish to rule it out entirely. They just have to communicate to consumers adequately that these games will have a much shorter playtime while on the go due to how much they push the system. People are already used to this playing the more graphically intense games on their Apple or Android devices. The battery life goes completely to shit when the GPU is really working hard.

But that's the point "it lets developers use the lower clock on docked mode", it is not mentioned anywhere that they can upclock in handheld mode.

You are free to think that Nintendo would be foolish that full undocked clocks are not a thing, well I think Nintendo would be foolish to allow the device to have crap battery even if it had a million warnings.

Rodin

Nice bit, didn't really make sense that there were two fans, it was either one on the dock or in the main unit.

You see, at the end of the day the main problem when talking about Switch is people trying to rationalize how Switch is going to handle "Top tier 3rd party games", and all the wild theories stem from that.-

• There will be more SMs for sure!
  • It's totally Pascal guys! Don't worry about the clocks!
  • I'm sure final unit will have 8GB!
  • Full clock undocked is totally a thing!

If you ask me, Switch will be able to handle most 3rd party games as long as Developers want to support it (and if the Switch sell well most will be willing to), but compromises will have to be made obviously.

Personally I think it would be an awful decision to enable undocked full clock because you would be basically sabotaging the hybrid nature of the system, it would give both shit battery life for those that use full clock undocked and a craaaptastic normal handheld mode versions, I would rather have good games starting from a fine scaled down handheld version and being able to seamlessly play it upresed on my TV (thankfully I'm pretty sure this is going to be the case).

As a final bit, how do you explain that EG gave explicit clocks for docked and undocked mode?
Options are bad

Yeah that will look good, like sub res games on the Vita. Huge selling point.

Options are bad

If it's already running sub-1080p on the TV, it's not really that different. I wouldn't see games going below 540p on the portable, and the games on Vita that actually run in 544p look great.

Options are bad

I think it would be bad if portable mode was variable too. Killing the battery or not as a choice on the go is not a good design.

Also, the difference in docked and undocked is mostly or mainly resolution? Can't see any reason someone would play Zelda in 1080p on portable mode for 2 hours vs 4 hours at 720p as an example. Almost always, lower res + longer battery life is the way to go.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Hence the words 'likely estimates'.

From the things we know right now, the signs all point a certain way. Feel free to ignore the current consensus, just don't get your hopes up too high.
Without having any real clue or leak on the fab process used for the final SoC which would allow to roughly quantify the wattage of the CPU and GPU blocks on the chip, I'll say that there's more than one possible scenario rn.

Donnie

Yeah. Totally the same thing.

Likely estimates put the GPU of the Switch at 33% of the Xbox One GPU in docked mode. Satisfied?

Even at the rumoured performance level you're referring to Tegra Maxwell would be more than 33% of XBox One in real world performance. XBox One/PS4's GPU's are quite old now after all.

Maybe add "theoretical performance" before Xbox One and we can all be happy :D

Rodin

If it's already running sub-1080p on the TV, it's not really that different. I wouldn't see games going below 540p on the portable, and the games on Vita that actually run in 544p look great.
It's not the same thing for a lot of reasons, although like i said in another thread there are some temporal solutions (like the one used by Ubisoft in R6 and the PC version of WD2) that may actually help a lot if there's a game that needs to be rendered at sub 720p.

Vita games at full res look awesome, but the subnative ones are a blurry mess. Nintendo needs to avoid that one way or another.

I think it would be bad if portable mode was variable too. Killing the battery or not as a choice on the go is not a good design.

Also, the difference in docked and undocked is mostly or mainly resolution? Can't see any reason someone would play Zelda in 1080p on portable mode for 2 hours vs 4 hours at 720p as an example. Almost always, lower res + longer battery life is the way to go.
I'm not saying that intensive 1080p games should run at 1080p downsampled on the portable, i was making an example with less intensive stuff that can run easily at that resolution even with portable clockspeeds, so the battery wouldn't last 2 hours.

Running at the same speed as when docked may be required for some intensive titles where the resolution is already 720p in docked mode, for example with those rare multiplatform games that may hit the system because third party publishers may want to test the waters and see there's a market for their games on a portable system. It wouldn't be the rule, and there's no point for Nintendo in denying this possibility altogether. Zelda will likely be 1080p docked/720p undocked, but in general i don't think this will be an issue with Nintendo games, third party exclusives and indies (the three types of games that will be more common on the system).

It's not the same thing for a lot of reasons, although like i said in another thread there are some temporal solutions (like the one used by Ubisoft in R6 and the PC version of WD2) that may actually help if there's a game that needs to be rendered at sub 720p.

Vita games at full res look awesome, but the subnative ones are a blurry mess. Nintendo needs to avoid that one way or another.
My point is that running anything less than 1080p on a TV is also subnative, and the reason they don't look like a "blurry mess" is because the rendering target resolution isn't crap. I mean, those Vita games are running sub 480p, of course they're going to look like a mess. Also keep in mind that UI and other non-3D stuff could still be rendered at native resolution.

Edit: Vita games running at 544p on my PSTV look just fine on my 32" TV. I think that would be a fine resolution for intensive titles on the portable.

Schnozberry

Now it's when you explain me how is it any different what you are doing, and from there I can tell you that my comments are way more reasonable than yours.

He took comments from random people and attributing the same flippant attitude to me. I have not done the same for him.

You can't just throw away all your hybrid concept just for the sake of trying to have all software, at that point they should just have scrapped Switch completely and made a Ps4 Pro powerful Wii U.

It doesn't stop being a hybrid concept just because you allow developers and consumers more choices. The device still functions as a handheld and docked on your television, no matter how the clock speeds are manipulated, so I'm not sure what you're getting at. We're talking about clock speeds that the Tegra X1 has already surpassed in a tablet format that has average battery life for it's class.

And it may be painful for those that wished for that, but Nintendo is releasing an hybrid system.

Nowhere did I deny this.

But that's the point "it lets developers use the lower clock on docked mode", it is not mentioned anywhere that they can upclock in handheld mode.

You are free to think that Nintendo would be foolish that full undocked clocks are not a thing, well I think Nintendo would be foolish to allow the device to have crap battery even if it had a million warnings.

I'd have to go back through the thread, but there was a post earlier that noted a Ubisoft developer had said this was possible with dev kits.

Battery life is going to be a trade off no matter what. Most battery life claims are based on no radios running, low backlight settings, etc. Clearly the Eurogamer leak makes it clear that by default the Switch will prioritize the battery life in handheld mode, as you would expect. I just don't find it completely insane that Nintendo may offer some flexiblity in order to grow the platform. I don't think that's unreasonable.

Oregano

If we see subnative games isn't the most likely res to be 480p undocked/720p docked? That's the same multiplier as 720-->1080, right?

Hieberrr

If we see subnative games isn't the most likely res to be 480p undocked/720p docked? That's the same multiplier as 720-->1080, right?

Nintendo would be foolish to go 720 docked. They've shown signs of embracing technology with 1080p games on the Wii U, I don't see them taking steps backwards. Having said that, I'm hoping we see at least a locked 30FPS and, if they somehow pull it off with Nintendo magic, 60FPS.

But yeah, I can't see them going subnative yet again. People were pissed off enough with the Wii and Wii U.

Nintendo would be foolish to go 720 docked. They've shown signs of embracing technology with 1080p games on the Wii U, I don't see them taking steps backwards. Having said that, I'm hoping we see at least a locked 30FPS and, if they somehow pull it off with Nintendo magic, 60FPS.

But yeah, I can't see them going subnative yet again. People were pissed off enough with the Wii and Wii U.
We're not talking about Nintendo games. Also, was subnative even a thing on Wii?

jdstorm

Banned
So as someone who doesn´t have any clue about all this hardware stuff. I only got one question:

Is it possibile to get the Kingdom hearts series for the Switch? In terms of power.

I mean 1.5,2.5, Chi and 3D HD shouldn´t be a huge problem, because this thing should handle PS3 games. 3D was even released on Nintendo handhelds.

But my concern lies with 0.2 and 3. Both are using UE4, which the switch supports and both are cell-shading games. If I look e.g. at zelda botw, it looks smiliar to KH series, just without all the effects. Also I think botw uses more of the cpu than KH, because of the physics.

Most information coming out from people with DevKits is that porting games is relitively hassle free. So it should be fine. Just dont expect it to run at the same resolution and with every graphical bell and whistle as the other consoles. Its a tradeoff you have to choose between for Portability

If the Xbox One/PS4 were PCs Running on (Hypothetically) Medium/High settings at 1080p Then the Switch would be running at either a lower resolution or Lower settings. Maybe both. Depending on the game and how much it pushed the hardware

Oregano

Talking about if a third party had to, like if they were porting a PS4/XBO game.

I expect Nintendo to stick with 720/1080 religiously.

Instro

I think I asked this in another thread, but with the advent of things like checkerboard rendering, is that something that could be used to improve IQ on any sub native games, or is that only more useful at higher resolutions?

1.5 and 2.5 should not be an issue. 0.2 and 3 on the other hand...well they would likely need to be downgraded based on rumored specs. If the platform takes off, SE might consider porting these to the Switch.

Why would they be foolish? The x1 has several (if not most) of its games at 720p and 900p ?

If anything they would match exactly what the x1 was doing which is a range of 720p to 1080p? Hell even the ps4 isnt full native 1080p on a few of its games.

Astral Dog

Why would they be foolish? The x1 has several (if not most) of its games at 720p and 900p ?

If anything they would match exactly what the x1 was doing which is a range of 720p to 1080p? Hell even the ps4 isnt full native 1080p on a few of its games.
Nevermind the Xbox ONE

Vic

Well, the dev kits was reported to be Vanilla TX1s, so it wouldn't be helpful if the final hardware derived too far from that. The final kits is also reported to be not much different from the former, but are more powerful. This implies that whatever changes that happened are not that divisible to developers.
I doubt that the modifications that I gave as an example (wider memory bus, more than 2 SM) would require devs to modify their code much, if at all.

ecosse_011172

Hence the words 'likely estimates'.

From the things we know right now, the signs all point a certain way. Feel free to ignore the current consensus, just don't get your hopes up too high.

The 'consensus' is 33%? Haha, good one.
My problem is with the precision, if you had've wrote "between 30 and 60%" or something like that then sure, no problem.
"Pointing a certain way" suggests something value such as "quite a bit less than the PS4", "Noticably better than the Wii U", not 32.8888567% of the XBO even though we don't know the number of shader cores, anything about the memory, modifications etc.
I assume your 33% is just 393/1200 i.e assuming that GCN and Maxwell FLOPS are the same?

My hopes aren't too high, I hope that it'll come closer to XBO performance than we imagine but imagine that it'll be somewhere between Wii U and XBO.
I don't know anywhere near enough information to know.

We'll have an idea in 6 days with game footage :)

Dekuboy

Neo Member
Most information coming out from people with DevKits is that porting games is relitively hassle free. So it should be fine. Just dont expect it to run at the same resolution and with every graphical bell and whistle as the other consoles. Its a tradeoff you have to choose between for Portability

If the Xbox One/PS4 were PCs Running on (Hypothetically) Medium/High settings at 1080p Then the Switch would be running at either a lower resolution or Lower settings. Maybe both. Depending on the game and how much it pushed the hardware

So Low-Medium at 720p? I would totally be ok with this. I mean it´s Cell-shading.

1.5 and 2.5 should not be an issue. 0.2 and 3 on the other hand...well they would likely need to be downgraded based on rumored specs. If the platform takes off, SE might consider porting these to the Switch.

Well the Switch can do UE4, so I think, porting would be possible. They also do DQ11 and not to forget 2 mainline Kingdom hearts games were released on Nintendo Handhelds (3 if you want to count re:coded)

Vic

The 'consensus' is 33%? Haha, good one.
My problem is with the precision, if you had've wrote "between 30 and 60%" or something like that then sure, no problem.
"Pointing a certain way" suggests something value such as "quite a bit less than the PS4", "Noticably better than the Wii U", not 32.8888567% of the XBO even though we don't know the number of shader cores, anything about the memory, modifications etc.
I assume your 33% is just 393/1200 i.e assuming that GCN and Maxwell FLOPS are the same?

My hopes aren't too high, I hope that it'll come closer to XBO performance than we imagine but imagine that it'll be somewhere between Wii U and XBO.
I don't know anywhere near enough information to know.

We'll have an idea in 6 days with game footage :)
And let's not ignore that GPUs in ARM-based SoC commonly uses FP16 to compute floats which means 1/2 the time to compute a float vault compared to FP32 with the downside of the float value being less precise (2^16 for FP16 vs 2^32 for FP32, which is a freaking huge difference in size.)

Calculating FLOPS using the clocks leaked by DF + FP32 or FP16, we get:

FP32
2 x (2 SMs (128 CUDA cores per SM)) x 0.768GHz = 393 FLOPS
2 x (3 SMs (128 CUDA cores per SM)) x 0.768GHz = 589 FLOPS
2 x (4 SMs (128 CUDA cores per SM)) x 0.768GHz = 786 FLOPS

FP16
393 FLOPS x 2 = 786 FLOPS
589 FLOPS x 2 = 1178 FLOPS
786 FLOPS x 2 = 1572 FLOPS

Computing float values with only FP16 might not be possible in practice, but a mix of FP32+FP16 should help to fill a part of the performance gap between the Switch and the Xbox One depending on the number of SMs the Switch SoC will have.

I really hope Nintendo and Nvidia gives us hard specs on the 12th because I really don't want this shit to carry on months after release waiting on a tear down. Even those aren't 100% legit.

Lol, you aren't getting hard specs. Nintendo is not going to curb that tradition now.

Arkam

I really hope Nintendo and Nvidia gives us hard specs on the 12th because I really don't want this shit to carry on months after release waiting on a tear down. Even those aren't 100% legit.

You will get gameplay videos only and you will like it!

Nintendo and "NVIDIA"

Lol, as if that matters. If Nvidia wanted to the could have been specific in their first release about the system but they were vague. We all know if Nintendo says no, there will be no specs released. And we all know Nintendo aint gonna release shit.

Kimawolf

So how bout Maximum PC mag saying Switch is using Pascal tech? Legit? Seems like maybe as a print magazine they, like other mags, got some info early for this upcoming Switch Event.

Net

So how bout Maximum PC mag saying Switch is using Pascal tech? Legit? Seems like maybe as a print magazine they, like other mags, got some info early for this upcoming Switch Event.
I doubt they know anything. Nintendo doesn't talk about specs, so why would they break the rule for some obscure print mag? And if it was Pascal it would contradict nearly everything we've heard about the hardware recently, from the internal fan to the Maxwell in the final dev kits to the Eurogamer report and others.

jdstorm

Banned
So Low-Medium at 720p? I would totally be ok with this. I mean it´s Cell-shading.

The PC graphics terms i used previously are slightly missleading. I was more using them to illistrate what a potential downgrade compared to the PS4/Xbox One/PC versions might be.

Until we know the actual specs of the Switch. Saying it will run games at 720p on low/Medium settings is something that cant be determined.

Vic

After seeing the reactions in both the VentureBeat's Maxwell and EuroGamer's clocks threads, maybe it's for the best to not publish the system specs lol. Showing the games running on the system will be a far more convincing argument than numbers that won't make any sense to most people.

Net

After seeing the reactions in both the VentureBeat's Maxwell and EuroGamer's clocks threads, maybe it's for the best to not publish the system specs lol. Showing the games running on the system will be a far more convincing argument than numbers that won't make any sense to most people.
I agree. If DQXI looks similar to its PS4 version, and if something like KH3 is announced for Switch, concern about hard numbers will diminish greatly.

Neoxon

The PC graphics terms i used previously are slightly missleading. I was more using them to illistrate what a potential downgrade compared to the PS4/Xbox One/PC versions might be.

Until we know the actual specs of the Switch. Saying it will run games at 720p on low/Medium settings is something that cant be determined.
Didn't Eurogamer already leak the clock speeds?

Earendil

I agree. If DQXI looks similar to its PS4 version, and if something like KH3 is announced for Switch, concern about hard numbers will diminish greatly.

I just hope we don't have a repeat of the Wii U reveal where people said that the games looked worse than the PS360 versions, only to find out later that the footage was from those versions to begin with.

optimiss

Yeah and I don't think that would be too bad on a 6.2 inch screen. They might be able to hit close to XBone levels of detail with a 720p docked/480p mobile game. Just speculation of course since we don't know the specs yet.

Edit: Actually 480p would be a multiple of 1.5 which isn't ideal. They'd have to go as low as 360p to have an integer multiple. That probably wouldn't look very good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom