• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch | Hardware Review Thread

Dystify

I'm removing the IGN score from the OP because they seem to be the only one so far who actually gave a score and it's misleading as the reviews aren't finished. Read the quotes/articles to get an opinion. Don't just look at a score.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Why did they set that they can't play online yet as a con? It should have been a review in progress if it should weigh into the scoring.

Because it is a con? They're launching a system where you're beta testing their paid online service that isn't going to be ready for months after you've bought the system and one where you really have no idea how the final implementation will work other than presumably like the other online services

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Because it is a con? They're launching a system where you're beta testing their paid online service that isn't going to be ready for months after you've bought the system and one where you really have no idea how the final implementation will work other than presumably like the other online services
I think you misunderstood the poster >.>

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink

???

Online gaming will be coming in day one patch, he shouldn't set not being able to play online as a con.

Polygon did lovely animated, full colour presentations for their PS4 and Xbox One reviews while Nintendo get an article and some crappy photos.

Plenty of complaints about what is not included in the box, but no mention of triggers. They're rightfully skeptical about the online functionality.

Glix

Wow at that Wired review. In fairness, its what they deserve. Not commenting on the joycon issue at all is a really big fuck up.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Bluetooth earphones support? Can't do tabletop mode on the train properly if I'm tethered by an earphone cable

Not Jose Vince.

Ahh you edited :p

Jose is doing the Zelda review, which honestly meant he should've done the hardware review as well since he's putting all that time into playing the system.

Hahaha, Gamexplain was so cute about this. Essentially: "I'm just doing a casual, non-scripted review because I have to get back to reviewing Zelda."

Good display of (very valid) priorities. But a good review nonetheless.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her
That Wired review is a bit brutal.

sikkinixx

What if the day one patch isn't up by Friday? If t was ready now they'd push it for reviewers no? Are they still trying to get it sorted? That's the thing that has me a bit concerned for things. This thing is out the oven into our mouth levels of hot.

Fliesen

I'm removing the IGN score from the OP because they seem to be the only one so far who actually gave a score.

also, it's the low hanging fruit for people who won't bother reading the reviews and don't want to see their future toy bullied by IGN.

I'm holding on to my pre-order. i'd pay a thousand bucks to for a hybrid that plays the latest and greatest Zelda. - i'm still baffled by the fact that there's no official statement by Nintendo (not even towards the reviewers) about the Joycon sync issues.

The WIRED review literally describes the console as a handheld because the joycon doesn't work for him.

This isn't the best console on the market, not the best value on the market - but it's the current Nintendo console. - no review can change that fact. :/

I think it's just early days because the online is not ready yet and not too many big games yet but it's good to hear pretty much all of them are saying the hardware itself is well built and really good.

Will definitely be picking up a Powerbank battery charger for it, Digital Foundry say they got nearly 7 hours out of the Switch.

100% Brightness, 100% Volume (Powerbank Connected) - Six Hours, Fifty Minutes

Sure it's extra cost but seems well worth it if you plan on using it as a handheld a lot of the time.

Scrawnton

Oh dang I didn't know that the way the console is at the moment the eShop wasn't even accessible. Still strange they haven't given them the update yet.
Yeah Nintendo didn't release the patch yet. So all reviewers have are a system capable of what we saw in that leaked UI video and the ability to play Zelda and a few other games.

Tsosie

Do these reviews have any embargoed information that is new? Basically, is it worth me reading/watching these to obtain new information that I would not have learned as a regular on Gaf?

Dystify

also, it's the low hanging fruit for people who won't bother reading the reviews and don't want to see their future toy bullied by IGN.

Yeah I edited my comment to reflect that. People need to read the reviews, not just look at a score.

CronoShot

What if the day one patch isn't up by Friday? If t was ready now they'd push it for reviewers no? Are they still trying to get it sorted? That's the thing that has me a bit concerned for things. This thing is out the oven into our mouth levels of hot.

Well, considering there are several eShop games launching with the system, and I know at least Bomberman has online, the patch kinda has to be available on Friday.

Spirited

Mine is pretty and pink
Yeah whoops misread it but I think it's worth noting anyway that they're doing a paid online service where you don't know what you're paying for yet

Well that's not coming until fall so they will have plenty of time to talk about what their online service will entail.

Not sure what people are expecting. You know what it does, you know its strengths and limitations. You know if you want to get one for Zelda right now or just to wait.

this is true for game reviews to and it's still the reviewers opinion. I guess it works if the reviewer is similar in the way of liking things as the person reading but yeah I agree with you 100 percent. Maybe some people get influenced a lot by scores though?

Fredrik

Then why release it to the public?
That's my concern too. They did the same with WiiU, released it before all features were there, I never even got the TVii thing before it closed down. And here we are with Switch, great hardware but it gets so-so reviews since it's simply not quite ready yet.
Zelda will still sell the system but it's still a bummer to start off like this.
Edit: Don't get me wrong though, I have it preordered and is super hyped, but I'm not the typical fence-sitter they need to convince that they're back in the game again.

Scrawnton

Do these reviews have any embargoed information that is new? Basically, is it worth me reading/watching these to obtain new information that I would not have learned as a regular on Gaf?
Nothing new at all. Zelda is embargoed til tomorrow and that's the main selling point for Switch.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Here we go. Nintendo said it'd be up shortly before launch.

Interfectum

TBH for Nintendo to lift an embargo before any day 1 patch or giving a statement on the left joycon is pretty dumb on their part. They are now letting the press form the narrative. This system must really be coming in hot.

Hardware-wise I think we are pretty solid. I think the huge miss once again comes from Nintendo's lack of communication.

When will the Day 1 update hit for reviewers?
Is it delayed because of the Joy-Con issue?
Speaking of, any more details on that issue?
Why was embargo before the update?

While this communication wouldn't change what the reviewers are working with in terms of hardware and software, it would definitely lend more context.

beta_fuse

Ouch @ some of those reviews. I am all about the games so I don't care about the features that aren't available day 1 but in all honesty though the negative aspects are warranted.

n0razi

Most reviews seem to point to a rushed product. I will probably wait for a some huge patches and more than 2 must have games to come out.

thatJohann

Yikes, what a mess.

Makes me feel better I didn't pre-order this. Will wait a year or so to see if it's still alive and breathing then.

NotLiquid

Yeah whoops misread it but I think it's worth noting anyway that they're doing a paid online service where you don't know what you're paying for yet

Considering online play itself isn't something you have to pay for until later in the system's lifetime, I'd like to think you're not missing out on too much other than bonus features for the next half year.

I'm just glad i didn't decide to get one just only for Zelda, i'll be more than fine with my Wii U. I'll be pretty much forced to buy one later this year for Mario though. I know i will want that game day one!

Top Bottom