• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Resilient

Hey peeps

Is anybody else's Switch itself slightly bent?

I ask cause I fell asleep in bed playing it and woke up to it next to me just now, and I'm worried i broke something.

When I put I the screen face up flat on a table theres a "gap" in the bottom left corner where I can push it down, suggesting she ain't flush and flat no more. No joycons plugged in.

Anybody else notice this or did I bend it slightly?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
Only confirmed for US. European release info should come soon.

Nothing about isaac, nothing about these games...that's really annoying for me ._."

Hey peeps

Is anybody else's Switch itself slightly bent?

I ask cause I fell asleep in bed playing it and woke up to it next to me just now, and I'm worried i broke something.

When I put I the screen face up flat on a table theres a "gap" in the bottom left corner where I can push it down, suggesting she ain't flush and flat no more. No joycons plugged in.

Anybody else notice this or did I bend it slightly?

nothing bent here.

So, I made a Japanese EShop account on my system, which is really nice to have whenever I want to access the Japanese Eshop. However, a side effect I've noticed is that my Game News section now populates with both US and Japanese posts, which is kind of obnoxious as I can't read half of the things in there, and most of the Japanese posts I get are just the same post from the US but in Japanese. Is there a way to opt-out of news for my Japanese account?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
So, I made a Japanese EShop account on my system, which is really nice to have whenever I want to access the Japanese Eshop. However, a side effect I've noticed is that my Game News section now populates with both US and Japanese posts, which is kind of obnoxious as I can't read half of the things in there, and most of the Japanese posts I get are just the same post from the US but in Japanese. Is there a way to opt-out of news for my Japanese account?

not that I know of

Resilient

Can anybody do a check with their switch flat on a table to see if it wobbles slightly? Worried I may have created a problem :( bottom left is where the wobble is at

j-wood

Posting for the new page:

So I have a ravpower battery pack that has USB C to charge my switch on the go when I don't have an outlet.

But, it also came with a USB-C wall adapter. I'm wondering if I use use this to power my switch when I'm near an outlet instead of buying a 2nd "official" switch adapter.

The specs on the block are:

Input: AC110-240v 50/60Hz 1A Max

Output: DC 5V/3A,9V/2A, 15V/2A, 20V/1.5A Max

Will I damage my switch by using this?

Played Shovel (Specter) Knight for some time. The lack of d-pad is less awful than I thought it would be, and the battery only dropped from 100% to 86% in more than an hour of playtime. This thing's going to be so good for indies.

Got my switch yesterday. Love how sleek it is and the screen is perfect. I don't like the joycons though. I think they're uncomfortable on and off the tablet. I was pleasantly surprised by the little buttons in place of the dpad though. It's really not that bad so that was a relief.

So far I've only played BotW and docked it is reminding me of the Wii U version performance wise. It looks sharper but it seemed even more "framey" than the Wii U version in the opening areas. I decided to just play it undocked cause it runs so much better and the screen is a good size. I find it a little uncomfortable though after a while.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Got my switch yesterday. Love how sleek it is and the screen is perfect. I don't like the joycons though. I think they're uncomfortable on and off the tablet. I was pleasantly surprised by the little buttons in place of the dpad though. It's really not that bad so that was a relief.

So far I've only played BotW and docked it is reminding me of the Wii U version performance wise. It looks sharper but it seemed even more "framey" than the Wii U version in the opening areas. I decided to just play it undocked cause it runs so much better and the screen is a good size. I find it a little uncomfortable though after a while.

It generally runs well though. The opening area is among the worst. Sure, you'll get brief drops later on as well, but rarely (if ever) anything sustained.

It generally runs well though. The opening area is among the worst. Sure, you'll get brief drops later on as well, but rarely (if ever) anything sustained.

Thanks I'll play some more docked tonight cause that's how I would like to play it at home. I had some bad stutters where the game felt like it froze for a split second. not sure if that is something others have experienced. Definitely don't remember that happening on the Wii U

things preventing this system from being perfect:

- lack of bluetooth
- plastic screen (glass screen protector amends this slightly though
- battery
- lack of activity log (at least it shows up in profile though)

mojo2

Neo Member
Never worked for me. You can't tighten those screws very much without stripping them since they're already snug. I found the best way is to put a little bit of electrical tape on the rail. Put it on the black square part - the visible square - facing out. On the back side of this piece is where the pins for the JoyCon are, in case you're wondering where I'm talking about.

This snugged things up just enough, eliminated the plastic-on-metal squeaking/rubbing, too. I did it on both sides and the whole thing feels like one cohesive unit, now.

Thanks, I was wondering where to put that piece of tape. Time to experiment.
And you're right, for a ~300 EUR piece of machine they can't make the tolerances to be perfect. And it's plastic on metal, they're gonna get loose eventually :|

Poppyseed

I bought a pair of blue joycons and notice they fit more snugly onto the switch then the greys that came with my system. The greys had a little give to them, the blues much less so.

Anyone else able to weigh in?

Just do the electrical tape fix. It made a world of difference to me, and you would never know it's there. Snugs up the JoyCon, and removes the creaking/clicking etc.

GjBRybc.jpg

Posting for the new page:

So I have a ravpower battery pack that has USB C to charge my switch on the go when I don't have an outlet.

But, it also came with a USB-C wall adapter. I'm wondering if I use use this to power my switch when I'm near an outlet instead of buying a 2nd "official" switch adapter.

The specs on the block are:

Input: AC110-240v 50/60Hz 1A Max

Output: DC 5V/3A,9V/2A, 15V/2A, 20V/1.5A Max

Will I damage my switch by using this?

The output Voltage/Amperage is fine (in fact it should charge the Switch just as quickly as the official adapter). I cant speak to the supplied cable though. USB-C cables can be very offspec.

Souzetsu

I personally didn't realize that the bundled coloured Switch Joycon are reversed from the separately sold ones. I now find it incredibly hard to not buy the separate coloured ones to make an all red or blue switch.. Contemplating taking advantage of some trade in credit I might be able to dig up....

I have spent too much on this thing already....
Anybody else rocking an all red/blue Switch?

Edit: just saw there are double red and blue bundles available too. Guess it's not that unique then. That makes the urge much less.

I have a Neon Switch and got the Red Left and Blue Right Joy-Con since I had a gift card from Newegg. It looks great with both colors. Plus I get the choice of going all red or blue whenever I want!

Just started playing Legend of Zelda today..blew me away SO AWESOME!! Anywho I went ahead and saved my progress of the game and pressed the home button on my pro controller to go back to the home screen..(Im new at this so my apologies for this otherwise silly question) where it says legend of zelda it has an icon that says "Keep Playing" and it gave me an option to close software..which I ended up doing..the cartridge is still in the switch slot and I turned it off(Went into sleep mode) is that OK what I did..and when I want to play again I can just turn it back on and go where I left off

Just started playing Legend of Zelda today..blew me away SO AWESOME!! Anywho I went ahead and saved my progress of the game and pressed the home button on my pro controller to go back to the home screen..(Im new at this so my apologies for this otherwise silly question) where it says legend of zelda it has an icon that says "Keep Playing" and it gave me an option to close software..which I ended up doing..the cartridge is still in the switch slot and I turned it off(Went into sleep mode) is that OK what I did..and when I want to play again I can just turn it back on and go where I left off

You didn't have to close the software. You can just put it to sleep mode (hold down the Home button) while in a game. When you next wake it you'll be right where you were in a matter of seconds.

I do the want to get banned from the other thread but goddamn I'm pissed off about the fucking Disney collection not being announced for Switch. I could buy it for my PS4...Or PC I guess but it would feel much better to play it on Switch somehow. Not sure how it would interact with VC though

DjRalford

I bought a pair of blue joycons and notice they fit more snugly onto the switch then the greys that came with my system. The greys had a little give to them, the blues much less so.

Anyone else able to weigh in?

My daughters grey ones are snug, both her neons have a little give.

Poppyseed said:
Just do the electrical tape fix. It made a world of difference to me, and you would never know it's there. Snugs up the JoyCon, and removes the creaking/clicking etc.

What's this never heard of this.

Oooooh the Switch has a Gyro calibration option in the settings. My Wii U used to have a faulty gamepad and I had to recalibrate it all the time, but that setting was hidden behind a button combination you had to hold for a few seconds on the home screen. While playing Zelda earlier my gyro went up by itself so I was having flashbacks, however the calibration fixed it instantly no worries.

I do the want to get banned from the other thread but goddamn I'm pissed off about the fucking Disney collection not being announced for Switch. I could buy it for my PS4...Or PC I guess but it would feel much better to play it on Switch somehow. Not sure how it would interact with VC though

It's unfortunate but it's the case with all new consoles. Hungry for games and developers don't develop for them right away really.

You didn't have to close the software. You can just put it to sleep mode (hold down the Home button) while in a game. When you next wake it you'll be right where you were in a matter of seconds.

OOPS OK now I Feel kind of silly for doing that..I already saved the game and immediately went back to the home screen was just confused about the whole "Still playing "option so I just closed the software..my save is still in tact right? Just have to have it on still playing next time and not close it out..or as long as I save the game manually it will be saved no matter what I do?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Eh idk I bought a lot of garbage on PS4 when it was first released because I was desperate to play anything.

That's not what you said in the first post though. This was about a console not getting ports, not getting garbage games at outrageous prices.

OOPS OK now I Feel kind of silly for doing that..I already saved the game and immediately went back to the home screen was just confused about the whole "Still playing "option so I just closed the software..my save is still in tact right? Just have to have it on still playing next time and not close it out..or as long as I save the game manually it will be saved no matter what I do?

Yes, the save is permanent, you'll start wherever your save file left you.

The sleep / suspend lets you resume literally the exact point where you suspended until you close the software or turn off the power completely. Once you do that you have to load a save file.

Yes, the save is permanent, you'll start wherever your save file left you.

The sleep / suspend lets you resume literally the exact point where you suspended until you close the software or turn off the power completely. Once you do that you have to load a save file.

oh I get it..so the keep playing option is for those who dont actually manually save the game..but since I manually saved it then I am fine..and since I closed the software I have to load my save data anyway..what is more recommended, to have the keep playing option loaded or to close the software..still new at this LOL..I have been unplugging the HDMI cable since my TV keeps on "Switching" to HDMI 4 even though the switch is on sleep mode its very annoying but until a fix comes out this is what I have to do

Poppyseed

What's this never heard of this.

Well nobody else seems to have thought of it yet, I guess. :D

I was sick of the loose JoyCon issue at the bottom of the controller. This just makes it a little more snug. If you look at how the JoyCon slide on, there's actually a sizable gap where that piece of the metal bracket meets the JoyCon. You can actually see a light gap between the controller and Switch itself.

This simple fix removes/minimizes it.

oh I get it..so the keep playing option is for those who dont actually manually save the game..but since I manually saved it then I am fine..and since I closed the software I have to load my save data anyway..what is more recommended, to have the keep playing option loaded or to close the software..still new at this LOL..I have been unplugging the HDMI cable since my TV keeps on "Switching" to HDMI 4 even though the switch is on sleep mode its very annoying but until a fix comes out this is what I have to do

Well the only thing that is permanent is the in-game save, so that's the safest. If its suspended you'll lose all progress up to the last save if you open another game or the battery runs out etc. But suspend is great when you quickly need to put your game on hold for a little while and want to jump back in at the exact point you left.

Zelda auto-saves so much though that it doesn't make as much of a difference as in other games.

Well it wasn't that wrong that you closed Zelda if you saved and didn't want to play on right away anyway because without any software suspended the battery-drain should be less.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

After thinking about it for a bit, I have a guess for what happened here, and it's an easy explanation: simply put, Digital Eclypse couldn't get dev kits in time for working on a Switch port. Considering how the collection is releasing next month, planning and development probably started a while ago, when Switch dev kits were available only for specific partners, and not in great quantity (so, for example, Capcom internal teams yes, but external ones like DE no), and Capcom didn't think it was worthwhile to add another SKU for it so late in development / couldn't find a team with Switch dev kits at the time that could work on a port (like Tantalus, but was probably already working / in final talks for both Sonic Mania and Rime). It's a similar scenario to what me and others thought happened behind Sonic 2017 getting announced for Switch but not Sonic Mania, but with a different ending because SEGA decided and had to chance to get Tantalus for the port.

Also, the user who stated it's a possible problem early on in consoles' lives, while you tried to specify Nintendo...well, at least for the most recent gen he's not completely wrong: in the first few months since their launch, both PS4 and Xbox One missed several titles from major third parties, that still got PS3/360 releases. Among them, we find games like:

- Dark Souls 2
- South Park: The Stick of Truth
- Lightning Returns: Final Fantasy XIII
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2
- Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD
- 2014 FIFA World Cup Brazil

The majority of them surely much bigger sellers than a (very appreciated, of course) Digital only collection of classics.

EDIT: Also, since this is probably the best thread for this

http://gonintendo.com/stories/276129-russian-retailer-lists-batman-the-telltale-series-for-switch

https://www.gamebuy.ru/switch/game/batman-telltale-series-nswitch

Is there anyone around here who can chime in and speak about this Russian seller's reliability with "leaks" of this kind (if there's is a credibility to begin with, of course)? Don't want to start a thread for this, I don't see enough solid ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom