• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love my Switch. My main complaint so far is the lack of StreetPass. I've always been a huge StreetPass user on 3DS and it's a total drag that there's no Switch support.

Do we know whether, from a tech perspective, Switch has what would be required for StreetPass implementation? In other words, could it be patched in in a future software/OS update?

Yes it could be patched in. But I don't we'll eher See it on Switch because afaik this was one of the reasons why 3DS has such a terrible standby battery life.

Kyzer

Banned
A best buy nearby had one neon switch... I picked it up for my best friend who was unable to get one at launch! He already sent me a text about zelda. "Yep. Best game ever."

Chopini

Neo Member
I'm curious... I got my Switch from Amazon and on the box there was no tape holding it shut and the none of the plastic baggies inside were sealed. Every larger electronic I've purchased has had a clear plastic sticker holding the outside cardboard box sealed and baggies inside sealed with the cables and stuff.

Was my unit most likely returned? Or are they all like this? I have zero issues so it doesn't really matter but was just wondering.

As far as impressions, I'm sure the pro controller would be nice, but I love the Joy Con grip. It's a TAD small but not "go out and buy $70 controller" small. Realllly happy with my Switch. My GF was too tired last night for co-op Snipperclips so hopefully we'll try that tonight. Zelda is a BEAST.

All units I bought are like that, there is no tape or seal.

Pro controller is really great. There is also a reason I prefer pro controller. With all attaching and detaching, I worry it could make joycon more loose overtime so I have an extra joy con just for multiplayer purpose too.

Anyone have experience with using this on planes? I have a few flights in the next couple of weeks and I'm worried about being able to hear the volume coming out of the headphone jack. Seems like the volume output is just extremely low (at least for Zelda) and I could easily see myself not being able to hear anything on a loud plane.

I was going to look into portable headphone amps, but I figured I'd ask hear first to see how much of an issue it is.

klier

Probably mentioned a dozen times already, but I just found out you are not allowed to use a 3rd party USB C cable to charge the dock.

WTF Nintendo? The dock won't send an image to the TV without the official cable.

Kudo

Probably mentioned a dozen times already, but I just found out you are not allowed to use a 3rd party USB C cable to charge the dock.

WTF Nintendo? The dock won't send an image to the TV without the official cable.

You don't charge the dock, you power it, I'm assuming the charger and cable you're using do not give it enough to work with so it doesn't work.

Pbae

Anyone have experience with using this on planes? I have a few flights in the next couple of weeks and I'm worried about being able to hear the volume coming out of the headphones jack. Seems like the volume output is just extremely low (at least for Zelda) and I could easily see myself not being able to hear anything on a loud plane.

I was going to look into portable headphone amps, but I figured I'd ask hear first to see how much of an issue it is.

I've used it for a few flights and had no issues with the volume output. I put the volume toggle at around 7-80% so still room for even louder volume.

As for what I was using, I typically carry around Sony XBA-4SL or a TTPOD T1. For a couple of flights I had to buy some JVC Gummy's and it still sounded very good.

I think as long as you have sound isolating earbuds, or closed over-the-head headphones you should be fine.

Protome

I love my Switch. My main complaint so far is the lack of StreetPass. I've always been a huge StreetPass user on 3DS and it's a total drag that there's no Switch support.

Do we know whether, from a tech perspective, Switch has what would be required for StreetPass implementation? In other words, could it be patched in in a future software/OS update?
I doubt we'll see this. Given how bad the Switch battery life is already, adding streetpass to also destroy it's standby battery life would be a disaster.

klier

You don't charge the dock, you power it, I'm assuming the charger and cable you're using do not give it enough to work with so it doesn't work.

Well yeah that's what I meant. I can power charge the Switch just fine with that cable without the dock, but when I plug that cable into the dock the Switch says I have to use an official cable if I want to 'switch' (sorry) to the TV.

oatmeal

Banned
Had a couple of couples over last night for dinner and we played some Snipperclips and 1 2 Switch.

Switch needs more multiplayer stuff. I was ready to buy something else but there really isn't anything.

Anyone have experience with using this on planes? I have a few flights in the next couple of weeks and I'm worried about being able to hear the volume coming out of the headphone jack. Seems like the volume output is just extremely low (at least for Zelda) and I could easily see myself not being able to hear anything on a loud plane.

Agreed with what Pbae said. You want to remove outside noise as much as possible rather than try to boost above it.

Well yeah that's what I meant. I can power charge the Switch just fine with that cable without the dock, but when I plug that cable into the dock the Switch says I have to use an official cable if I want to 'switch' (sorry) to the TV.

Probably doesn't have enough power as the official cable has the power to drive the Switch's clock speed increase. Even if it does have enough power, they probably don't trust anything other than their cable to avoid stability issues when trying to hit higher resolutions and such.

I've used it for a few flights and had no issues with the volume output. I put the volume toggle at around 7-80% so still room for even louder volume.

As for what I was using, I typically carry around Sony XBA-4SL or a TTPOD T1. For a couple of flights I had to buy some JVC Gummy's and it still sounded very good.

I think as long as you have sound isolating earbuds, or closed over-the-head headphones you should be fine.

Agreed with what Pbae said. You want to remove outside noise as much as possible rather than try to boost above it.

Cool, thanks. I have a pretty good pair of isolating earbuds and M50s (not great at isolation, but decent) so I'll just work with what I have on my first flight and see how it goes.

Kudo

When you charge the Switch with that cable it just does that, charges it with the power the cable gives it even if it's not enough to charge it while playing for example.
When docked though there's other things than charging the Switch needs power for like the overclock and HDMI output, so it will need much more juice than just charger.

Rarius

I was like "Look at all these titles coming out" at launch. But I think the lack of console features (I use consoles for A LOT of media) bums me out, as does the drought.

klier

Probably doesn't have enough power as the official cable has the power to drive the Switch's clock speed increase. Even if it does have enough power, they probably don't trust anything other than their cable to avoid stability issues when trying to hit higher resolutions and such.

So am I the only one mentioning this, or have I simply bought a cable that can barely charge the Switch?

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Is Fast RMX fun? Looks great.
It's one of the worst designed racing games I've played in a long time and is an absolute embarrassment compared to the games it attempts to emulate. Some of tge worst track design I've seen in a racing game in years. Mechanically it doesn't offer a very rich experience especially when compared to Wipeout or F Zero. The way the game handles AI is incredibly poor. I would not call Fast RMX a good racing game when all is said and done.

But it looks very pretty, has varied environments and at least initially has that ZOMG SPPEEEEEEED feeling going for it that gives it a little something.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
I find it amazing, from track design to graphics on portable mode. Theres an Ikaruga layer and difficulty is about the same as F-Zero GX, probably easier. I had the chance to play it for hours in 4P mode at a ski weekend with friends, everyone loved it.

Charamiwa

Banned

I love it, and it's a great game to just pick up and play for little sessions. But I'm a fan of Trackmania and all these games with tricky tracks that you have to learn to master. That may not be your thing. Also the game looks really good and runs well.

One thing I hate though, is the AI. If I'm killing it during a race, I want to be able to leave my opponents way behind. As it stands there's no reason to be in the first place during the first 2 laps, they'll just follow you. It's so stupid for a game like that.

Does your charger output 60w? One misconception with USB charges is that they are all the same but USB does infact have different power-states. Since phones need relatively few power they accept mostly anything you throw at them but the Switch with the dock needs 60w to be supplied if I remember correctly.

lol, TSA Agent was just like, "Hey, that's a Nintendo Switch!" as I was going through security at Logan. Mentioned how he heard that it was breaking sales records. At least it has some decent public awareness.

I'm curious... I got my Switch from Amazon and on the box there was no tape holding it shut and the none of the plastic baggies inside were sealed. Every larger electronic I've purchased has had a clear plastic sticker holding the outside cardboard box sealed and baggies inside sealed with the cables and stuff.

Was my unit most likely returned? Or are they all like this? I have zero issues so it doesn't really matter but was just wondering.

Also did not have a sticker, fwiw

emb

Well, decided to play some Switch today, but, fun surprise, my system won't turn on or respond in any way.

My best guess is that it was docked slightly incorrectly, and the battery completely died? I think I did put it into sleep mode last time. I unplugged the dock the other day, but when I tried today it was already plugged in before I started. Tried undocking, attaching Joycons, and switching to another outlet, but it's still not doing anything. Is there any kind of charging indicator I should be seeing?

Edit: Ok, troubleshooting thing from Nintendo's site worked. Unplugged AC adapter, held down power button for 12+ seconds to make sure system was off, then pressed power button. Not sure what was up, the thing had plenty of charge when it came back. Seems to be good now though.

Does your charger output 60w? One misconception with USB charges is that they are all the same but USB does infact have different power-states. Since phones need relatively few power they accept mostly anything you throw at them but the Switch with the dock needs 60w to be supplied if I remember correctly.

39W, not 60W. 15V at 2.6A.

It doesn't have to be "official" really, it just has to provide enough power. Not many USB-C chargers do (yet).

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
Splatoon 2 stress test confirms for me that I just can't get into that game.
Was the same with the first one..

I enjoy Splatoon, but it's in small bursts. My usual shooter inadequacy anxiety pops up, even in something as simple as Splatoon, so after about 2 rounds or about 20 minutes I'm done and have to shut it off and play something else.

lol, TSA Agent was just like, "Hey, that's a Nintendo Switch!" as I was going through security at Logan. Mentioned how he heard that it was breaking sales records. At least it has some decent public awareness.

Take it to Harpoon, wait staff was very interested at PAX East. Several came by our bench to check it out

It doesn't have to be "official" really, it just has to provide enough power. Not many USB-C chargers do (yet).

Know of any confirmed non-official plugs that work on the dock? Everything I have tried gets an error message even if it is providing the correct power rating. Measuring using a USB-C power meter. I am pretty sure the dock rejects anything but the official plug.

Know of any confirmed non-official plugs that work on the dock? Everything I have tried gets an error message even if it is providing the correct power rating. Measuring using a USB-C power meter. I am pretty sure the dock rejects anything but the official plug.

What specifically are you using? What wall adapter are you using? What cable? I'm confused what you're doing trying to power the dock with a usb-c cable.

I know Hyperkin has an ac adapter up for preorder that releases on April 12th I think it is for $17.

Not talking just a cable. I have a few USB-C PD compliant AC plugs. Using any of them with the dock when you put the switch in an error shows on the screen saying the wrong plug is being used.

So having accurate power rating alone is not enough for the dock.

Not talking just a cable. I have a few USB-C PD compliant AC plugs. Using any of them with the dock when you put the switch in an error shows on the screen saying the wrong plug is being used.

So having accurate power rating alone is not enough for the dock.

That's interesting. Are you doing that because you're trying to us the original AC adapter on the switch console itself? What happens when you use your C-cable + wall adapter for the Switch console itself? Does it work in that case?

Will Snakepass and that heroes game come out at midnight tonight?

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just advising ;)

Has Been Heroes is a hard pass from me, personally. It's just a bad game IMHO- played it several times. Obviously use your own judgement

Snake Pass- I'd wait and see reviews. I played on 3 Switch setups at PAX East, and all three the snake would randomly stop moving and do what it wanted to do, or not. I asked the staff, they said probably interference with all the devices to the Switch. Very well could be true. 3 demo kiosks just seemed like a pattern more than an occurrence. Obviously use your own judgement as well.

Snake Pass could be awesome if it actually works, Has Been Heroes is still a bad game. Again, my opinion.

pulsemyne

I'm not telling you how to spend your money, just advising ;)

Has Been Heroes is a hard pass from me, personally. It's just a bad game IMHO- played it several times. Obviously use your own judgement

Snake Pass- I'd wait and see reviews. I played on 3 Switch setups at PAX East, and all three the snake would randomly stop moving and do what it wanted to do, or not. I asked the staff, they said probably interference with all the devices to the Switch. Very well could be true. 3 demo kiosks just seemed like a pattern more than an occurrence. Obviously use your own judgement as well.

Snake Pass could be awesome if it actually works, Has Been Heroes is still a bad game. Again, my opinion.

Snake pass will be fine. I wouldn't have any worries about it.

That's interesting. Are you doing that because you're trying to us the original AC adapter on the switch console itself? What happens when you use your C-cable + wall adapter for the Switch console itself? Does it work in that case?

Yeah, charges it fine plugged in directly. Same ranges too when idled at the OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom