• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Launch Thread: Now you're playing with power; HYBRID POWER!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cepheus

My flatmates just came in to try my Switch out, and they seemed impressed. One of them seemed dead-set on buying it after I told him that Skyrim was coming out on it. So yeah. It's anecdotal, but there are people who are excited to play Skyrim on the Switch.

My Switch comes tomorrow, but I won't have any games for it due to Zelda being out of stock everywhere (unless I pay the extortionate Nintendo store price). Are there any decent demos for me to download?

Might of repeating myself on an earlier post but I love my Nintendo Switch. Seems the more I play Zelda, the more impressed I am with this console and looking forward to more games coming out for it.

sadromeo

My flatmates just came in to try my Switch out, and they seemed impressed. One of them seemed dead-set on buying it after I told him that Skyrim was coming out on it. So yeah. It's anecdotal, but there are people who are excited to play Skyrim on the Switch.

Definitely one of the many reasons why I bought a Switch.

Thanks to all who've posted how to make a Japanese eShop account. I currently have Puyo Puyo Tetris and Dragon Quest Heroes 1-2 demos downloading. :)

This seems too good to be true. I hope Nintendo doesn't back track on this and removes the ability. Why? Cause Nintendo.

EDIT: Wow. If Dragon Quest Heroes 1 and 2 is what we can expect in terms of graphical performance, then we've been hoodwinked by Nintendo and Nvidia. I know it's a demo but it's simply terrible looking.
This is something the Wii U could handle.
Horrible textures. Bland open world. Yuck. Now, I have *heard* that this was simply a port of a PS3/Xbox 360 game so my comments may be a bit unfair.
If it's a straight port without using any of the supposed additional horsepower the Switch has over the Wii U, I stand corrected.

Tetris is fun and seems like it'll be a fun party/multiplayer game.

The dragon quest heroes games are being ported from vita(heroes 2) and ps3(heroes 1).

The demo content seemed like heroes 2 so it's probably a pretty simple port of the vita version. I thought it looked pretty good but not the best.

LordKano

Since I started using glass protectors on my phone(s), I won't use anything else. They're so much better then the plastic ones. They're also easier to install.

I just installed one on my Vita a few weeks ago, was a breeze. If you're worried, I'm sure you could take it to a cell phone repair store and have them install it.

Mh, I could do that yeah. Thanks for the advice.

I'm officially joining this party!!

All I'm going to say for now is: so happy there's a dark theme! Praise be to whichever UI designer pulled for that. The world needs more dark themes.

So last night before I went to bed, I shut off and connected the Switch to the pro controller usb cable, which is connect to the dock. So basically

AC adapter > dock > USB A to USB C > Switch undocked.

When I connected it, the Switch turned on by itself, but it was as if I had simply put it in sleep mode. I shut it off again and left it connected overnight. Woke up today, turned it on...And it says 93℅ charged.

Is that normal?

thedan001

So Nintendo Switch works great at my home, having fun with BotW

I brought it to my university for the first time and connecting to the wifi is authentication log-in type with username and password

Nintendo Switch UI has no input for log-in username, only for password and it keeps failing to connect

The web applet doesn't come up either since it doesnt have any pop ups similar to public wifi's at restaurants, etc

Anyone find a work-around to this?

So last night before I went to bed, I shut off and connected the Switch to the pro controller usb cable, which is connect to the dock. So basically

AC adapter > dock > USB A to USB C > Switch undocked.

When I connected it, the Switch turned on by itself, but it was as if I had simply put it in sleep mode. I shut it off again and left it connected overnight. Woke up today, turned it on...And it says 93℅ charged.

Is that normal?

Yeah, I'm wondering about charging options too. I'm wondering I can take the USB C to USB A cable that came with the Joycon charging grip, attach the USB A end to my iPhone outlet dongle, and use that to charge the system itself. I tried it and the Switch registered as if it was charging, but after 10 mins it hasn't increased a single percent battery-wise...

I am kind of nervous to be living in a Post-Zelda Switch world. Once I beat Zelda I'm not sure I will really be interested in too much on the console until Mario Kart. Which is a shame because I absolutely love the console itself. Maybe I will get around to trying Shovel Knight and giving it an honest try but I have reservations since I have already purchased it on the 3DS.

mstevens

I am kind of nervous to be living in a Post-Zelda Switch world. Once I beat Zelda I'm not sure I will really be interested in too much on the console until Mario Kart. Which is a shame because I absolutely love the console itself. Maybe I will get around to trying Shovel Knight and giving it an honest try but I have reservations since I have already purchased it on the 3DS.

Shovel Knight is amazing and I haven't even tried the other two characters yet.

Has anyoned figured out if you can remove news posts from other regions from the lock screen? I have a Japanese account and that's all I see for News on the lock screen.

Has anyoned figured out if you can remove news posts from other regions from the lock screen? I have a Japanese account and that's all I see for News on the lock screen.
From what I gather is seems to be latest news at the top. Since creating a new JP account, the news for that account is the latest. However, I now have two new US news additions atop the JP listings.

I am watching a record of a stream where Quickybaby, a notable WoT streamer, plays LoZ. He went completely blind, did unboxing there and all.

He is absolutely clueless about most of the things, and I think it is wonderful to see one who hasn't followed the Switch to start using one.

He was really surprised how easy the Switch was to setup to TV and his capture card. Seems quite impressed overall about his Switch.

Now he's starting BotW...

Anybody else have an issue with the Switch and needing to constantly adjust the screen size displayed on the TV? I select 100%, next time I boot it up, 100% doesn't fit anymore, so then I need to go down to 96%. Next time I boot it up, 96% isn't enough, and I have to go back up to 100%.

mstevens

Lol just went to a drive through coffee place and the guy asked what I was up to today. Said I was going to check out the new Zelda and he said "bro, breath of the wild?" And asked a bunch of questions about the switch.

ColdPizza

Banned
Cuningas de Häme;231529972 said:
I am watching a record of a stream where Quickybaby, a notable WoT streamer, plays LoZ. He went completely blind, did unboxing there and all.

He is absolutely clueless about most of the things, and I think it is wonderful to see one who hasn't followed the Switch to start using one.

He was really surprised how easy the Switch was to setup to TV and his capture card. Seems quite impressed overall about his Switch.

Now he's starting BotW...

Sounds like my experience. Didn't know anything about the Switch but decided last minute to jump in head first. Set up was a breeze and I've been lucky enough to not experience any of the multitude of issues other have here. Besides lack of games, this has been a positive experience for me.

Shiggy

Dragon Quest Heroes doesn't run too well, right? I've only tried out the demo, but the frame rate was pretty irritating in portable mode, and I'm normally not one of the people who are saying "oh, no, it's not 60fps". But here the drops were pretty noticeable. Not sure if it was better in docked mode though.

Snipperclips is great though. Great fun, just like Puyo Puyo Tetris (though I wait for a localised version, the language barrier was still too high). For Zelda I might need a bit more time.

Hallowed

Sorry if this has been asked, but is there any way to transfer videos/images/audio from my PC onto the micro sd card of my Nintendo Switch?

Cepheus

So Nintendo Switch works great at my home, having fun with BotW

I brought it to my university for the first time and connecting to the wifi is authentication log-in type with username and password

Nintendo Switch UI has no input for log-in username, only for password and it keeps failing to connect

The web applet doesn't come up either since it doesnt have any pop ups similar to public wifi's at restaurants, etc

Anyone find a work-around to this?

This was happening to me, too. However, I found a workaround. I just used the university 'guest' wifi network instead, which brought the university login web applet up and let me connect just fine. If your university has a 'guest' equivalent, then that would probably work. If there are no pop-ups at all, though... It might not work. Still, give it a try.

Anybody have issues with the Joy-Con not being recognized in portable mode? I'm trying to play Zelda, but it won't recognize the Joy-Con when I press L+R on both of them. If I hit the home button or exit out of game the controller works, but it isn't working in-game.

Dragon Quest Heroes doesn't run too well, right? I've only tried out the demo, but the frame rate was pretty irritating in portable mode, and I'm normally not one of the people who are saying "oh, no, it's not 60fps". But here the drops were pretty noticeable. Not sure if it was better in docked mode though.

Snipperclips is great though. Great fun, just like Puyo Puyo Tetris (though I wait for a localised version, the language barrier was still too high). For Zelda I might need a bit more time.

It's bad in docked. They ported over the ps3 version. I don't know how that version is but the Switch version seems to be running at 1080p

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!

I've tried DQH's demo in both modes. And yes, the differencies in terms of frame rate are important: in docked mode, it's 30fps, with some drops when the scene is more crowded, but not always. Several intances where the game was going at quite lower than 30fps undocked while it was almost perfect 30fps docked.

Peltz

If anyone is looking for a second dock for ease of moving it to one room or another, Nintendo sells just the dock for $60 with no power or HDMI (I bought a spare power cable for travel and have plenty of HDMI cables). I tried to buy the one they said would be available for $90 at launch but it doesn't look like you can buy it anywhere so that's kinda weird.

https://store.nintendo.com/ng3/browse/subcategory.jsp?categoryId=cat831380&pageSize=6&viewAll=true

Their pricing is so odd.

thedan001

This was happening to me, too. However, I found a workaround. I just used the university 'guest' wifi network instead, which brought the university login web applet up and let me connect just fine. If your university has a 'guest' equivalent, then that would probably work. If there are no pop-ups at all, though... It might not work. Still, give it a try.

Thanks, This worked for me just now

hopefully an update will come that will fix this issue, but I'm okay using the guest wifi for now

From what I gather is seems to be latest news at the top. Since creating a new JP account, the news for that account is the latest. However, I now have two new US news additions atop the JP listings.

For me right now I have -
Welcome to Nintendo New
Japanese eShop ad
English eShop ad

Edit - actually it seems to change every time I lock/unlock

I'm excited too. And I have it on Xbox 360, One and PC.

thedan001

Figured out another way for college/university students at the mercy of WPA2 enterprise login's

If you have a laptop, login with that to the university's wifi

once your laptop is connected to wifi, you can use an ethernet cable to wire your console into your computer and use the internet

On the laptop computer:
Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
Right-click the wireless network connection.
Click Properties.
Click Sharing.
Put a check mark in the box under Internet Connection Sharing.
Click OK.
Ta-da! now you have internet on your console!

*This requires a LAN adapter for your Switch console

LAN adapter

elmalloc

Sorry if this has been asked, but anyone experiencing some slight delay every now and then with the joycons when playing in docked mode? I imagine it has to do with distance from the tablet/dock. I'll experience it more if I'm sitting more than about 7-8 feet away from the dock.

Edit: Ah, see it's an issue with the left joycon that others are experiencing. Shit. Though I think distance has to do with it.

Yeah, this thread seems to have a lot more happiness in it than people reporting those types of bugs (lol). Pro Controller doesn't have that affect, but then I feel like we're defeating part of the purpose of this console. I've seen the flickering problem and it was annoying enough to want to return it.

Yeah, I'm wondering about charging options too. I'm wondering I can take the USB C to USB A cable that came with the Joycon charging grip, attach the USB A end to my iPhone outlet dongle, and use that to charge the system itself. I tried it and the Switch registered as if it was charging, but after 10 mins it hasn't increased a single percent battery-wise...
Yeah, I'm gonna guess we're better off just charging directly through the AC adapter/dock. All this because of a bended plate.

I've brought this up in a few threads to no avail - is there no fix to the left joycon range being completely garbage?

Is it possihle for future joycon releases to have better range? I would pay ungodly amounts. I want my Switch in my entertainment center but my couch is too far.

Shovel Knight is so good on this platform. Just lovely. I hope this becomes an indie utopia. Blaster Master and Stardew Valley will be awesome to have. I have high hopes. Great piece of tech.

Funny how I mainly play on the TV configuration with this. Playing Zelda is sooo good.
Also I did not like to use both joycons separately (like the wiimote/nunchuk combo) at first but it grew on me.

Can't wait for the improvements of the console, such as savegames being exportable.

sadromeo

Figured out another way for college/university students at the mercy of WPA2 enterprise login's

If you have a laptop, login with that to the university's wifi

once your laptop is connected to wifi, you can use an ethernet cable to wire your console into your computer and use the internet

On the laptop computer:
Go to Control Panel > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.
Right-click the wireless network connection.
Click Properties.
Click Sharing.
Put a check mark in the box under Internet Connection Sharing.
Click OK.
Ta-da! now you have internet on your console!

*This requires a LAN adapter for your Switch console

LAN adapter

Nice workaround! Thanks for the info!

Any USB to Ethernet adapter should work though right? The Hori Nintendo Lan Adapter isn't necessary right?

Black Storm

Neo Member
HI guys, I have a question

I will get my Switch in the next three days, I bought the Switch from Amazon US , so the console and the AC adapter are the US version, now I know that in US the AC adapter is about 100~120V however the voltage in my country is about 220~240V , so is this gonna work? or do I need anything to make it work?

Thanks in advance.

Watched Quickybaby playing BotW as mentioned earlier. He was so happy just fooling around and testing things. I didn't want to spoil myself so watched only from the beginning and in the end when he stopped playing.

He played 9 hours straight (at least stream is 9h46min long) so I think he liked it...

It is so really nice to see someone who bought the console for themselves, isn't a huge fanboy or professional game journo and just stumbles his way in.

But that only strenghtened my hype, cannot wait the arrival of my unit!

Ninja Dom

Might of repeating myself on an earlier post but I love my Nintendo Switch. Seems the more I play Zelda, the more impressed I am with this console and looking forward to more games coming out for it.

Same here.

I brought my Switch in to work for the first time. Playing Zelda in Tabletop mode at work on my lunch break is incredible!!

Kilrogg

paid requisite penance
I've tried DQH's demo in both modes. And yes, the differencies in terms of frame rate are important: in docked mode, it's 30fps, with some drops when the scene is more crowded, but not always. Several intances where the game was going at quite lower than 30fps undocked while it was almost perfect 30fps docked.

All I know is that the PS3 version of DQH I and II is supposed to run at 30fps (vs. 60fps on PS4). Whether it's stable or not I don't know. Don't know if the PS3 versions run at 720p or 1080p either.

Everything points to Square Enix shoddily porting the games over to Switch to make launch. I mean, the Wii U is already more powerful than the PS3 in most ways, and the Switch obliterates the Wii U, so the games should run at a completely locked, buttery smooth 30fps in undocked mode at the very least. It's too bad, but launch titles gonna launch title I guess. After all, Konami can't even be arsed to make Bomberman run at 60fps, so...

ineji

Neo Member
HI guys, I have a question

I will get my Switch in the next three days, I bought the Switch from Amazon US , so the console and the AC adapter are the US version, now I know that in US the AC adapter is about 100~120V however the voltage in my country is about 220~240V , so is this gonna work? or do I need anything to make it work?

also is the US AC adapter can actually be plugged in this? :
maxresdefault.jpg

"Picture taken from google"

Thanks in advance.

Don't try to plug it in to those plugs (without an adaptor). Those plugs have safety features that block the two lower prongs until something is plugged in to the top one (and no, don't stick something in the top just to unblock the bottom...)

Afaik, the switch power supplies are the same around the world, just with different plugs so you should be able to buy a travel adaptor from amazon or probably even some supermarkets. Just make sure the power supply says 100-240V and 50-60Hz.

Ninja Dom

Shovel Knight is so good on this platform. Just lovely. I hope this becomes an indie utopia. Blaster Master and Stardew Valley will be awesome to have. I have high hopes. Great piece of tech.

I bought Shovel Knight back on the Wii U. I thought the game was alright. Didn't fall in love with it like other people here on GAF did. Is it much better on Switch?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom