• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: new Firmware update available (Ver. 3.0.1)

A9rjE2L.gif

lol why does it do that

mrkgoo

Out of curiosity, if I bought a switch now, will it be "fixeD" regarding the joy con issue?

Like would I still need to send it in for the fix? Like are they making sure all machines coming from factory now are "fixed"?

IF not, when would a rev 2 come out? holiday time bundles?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Out of curiosity, if I bought a switch now, will it be "fixeD" regarding the joy con issue?

Like would I still need to send it in for the fix? Like are they making sure all machines coming from factory now are "fixed"?

IF not, when would a rev 2 come out? holiday time bundles?

Been a little while since I've seen the broken joycon thread bumped but it was still happening with new Switches and standalone joycons fairly recently. You might have to send it in.

The ones which are 'fixed' just have the foam bit already in them which is the same result as sending them in.

There might be a revision 2 but not in the immediate future I'd say if they are going with this solution for now.

OMG BATTERY ISSUE FIXED!

*goes to update Switch.

Just read all the steps. Damn, thought it would just be the update and you're done, it's fixed.

Ensure the console has the latest system update. The steps below apply to system menu version 3.0.1 or higher.
Set the Auto-Sleep mode to "Never" for "Playing on Console Screen" and for "Connected to TV."
Connect the AC adapter directly to the console until the battery is fully charged.
If the battery charge indicator does not reach 100%, simply allow the console to charge for approximately three hours.
Once the battery is fully charged, leave the console alone for one hour with the AC adapter still connected to it.
Afterward, disconnect the AC adapter and allow the console to display the HOME Menu for approximately three to four hours.
The remaining battery life must be depleted as much as possible.
Once the battery charge is almost depleted, power off the console by holding down the POWER Button for three seconds, then select "Power Options" > "Turn Off." Leave the console alone for at least 30 minutes.
Repeat steps 2 - 6 several times.
The battery charge indicator will improve gradually by repeating this process several times.
Last edited by L~A; Today at 08:20 PM.
What in holy fuck?

mrkgoo

Been a little while since I've seen the broken joycon thread bumped but it was still happening with new Switches and standalone joycons fairly recently. You might have to send it in.

The ones which are 'fixed' just have the foam bit already in them which is the same result as sending them in.

There might be a revision 2 but not in the immediate future I'd say if they are going with this solution for now.

interesting, thanks. yeah, just wondering if you can tell if ones are "fixed" out of the box or not?

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
interesting, thanks. yeah, just wondering if you can tell if ones are "fixed" out of the box or not?

No ones said you can so far, they either have foam inside or they don't.

And a few people have sent theirs in for repair and it's not worked, which I imagine is because the signal was just too weak from the 'manufacturing variation' for the foam to help with.

Not ideal all round really. I still need to send mine in but kept waiting till things were more certain but it doesn't look like they will be.

mrkgoo

No ones said you can so far, they either have foam inside or they don't.

And a few people have sent theirs in for repair and it's not worked, which I imagine is because the signal was just too weak from the 'manufacturing variation' for the foam to help with.

Not ideal all round really. I still need to send mine in but kept waiting till things were more certain but it doesn't look like they will be.

Hmmm. Ok.

What was the actual problem? and how does the foam help? I mean, I thought it was interference, and the foam helped block it...

lol why does it do that

The eyes of chicken (and other fowls) don't have a lot of travel, so they instead rely on their flexible necks to maintain a stable vision (by keeping their head still during body motion, as opposed to moving their eyes to compensate head motion like humans do).

SirNinja

Oh come on, did you seriously think 3.0.0 -> 3.0.1 was going to be some incredible earth-shattering change?

Save the hype for 4.0. Actually just save a little bit of hype for it, cause it's probably still not going to give us what we want.

Steenbock

Neo Member
I only have one request: Hopefully Nintendo installs this update on my Switch before they send it back to me. Failing that, hopefully this update won't brick my system like the last one did...

I've owned every Nintendo system they've released (yup, even a Virtua Boy), but I have never had this much trouble with any of them. I've had to perform a hard reset several times since launch (often just after an update). This time it didn't work, and I just got an email from the Nintendo repair team stating that my data cannot be recovered, so there goes god only knows how many hours of Zelda, down the tubes.

As much as I was enjoying the game, the fact that I'll have to re-invest all that time and effort just to get back to where I left off is making me seriously reconsider whether or not I want to start it over or just sell the game and move on. For that matter, I've found myself actually contemplating whether I even want to keep my Switch. Right now, I've only got Zelda, and I have to wonder what the point is of investing money & time into a new game when I could just lose it all the next time a system update comes out?

And for what it's worth, I treat my system very well. It sits in its dock next to my TV. I think I've used the portable mode three or four times; just so I could play while lying on the couch or bed. I've never even taken it out of the house since I bought it.

Sorry for the rant. I'm just a bit ticked off right now. I'll probably give it another shot; maybe the repairs will remedy the necessity to constantly perform hard resets all the time, and ensure that it doesn't brick again during an update.

PetrCobra

This looks like the beginning of some awful infomercial lol.

That being said, the switch stand is awful.

in their defense, the stand is complete garbage.

I thought so until I tried it out on a train which kept bumping in all directions. The Switch, sitting on a tiny little table with the support of the stand, didn't move a tiny bit the entire time.

Are Netflix and Hulu coming anytime soon, or are we still going with it's a gaming only device and to use those apps on something else?

Pokemaniac

Are Netflix and Hulu coming anytime soon, or are we still going with it's a gaming only device and to use those apps on something else?

When they are coming has nothing to do with system updates.

Probably soonish though, there's already a streaming app in Japan.

Eusis

in their defense, the stand is complete garbage.
This is true, but I think it'd make sense to 1. undock the controllers before propping the stand, and 2. not use them so close to the system you'd jerk around and knock it with your hand.

Vena

At current rates of updates, the Switch can be fuse protected from roll-back for homebrew for ~5 years. After that it will run out of available fuse configs. I do have to wonder if it won't eventually slow down, though, since they are now hiring white hackers to find major exploits.

Just a random tidbit.

At current rates of updates, the Switch can be fuse protected from roll-back for homebrew for ~5 years. After that it will run out of available fuse configs. I do have to wonder if it won't eventually slow down, though, since they are now hiring white hackers to find major exploits.

Just a random tidbit.

English? Sorry I've never hacked a console so no idea what you're on about but it sounded interesting

Vena

English? Sorry I've never hacked a console so no idea what you're on about but it sounded interesting

The Switch uses e-Fuses in order to hardware protect the system from a software rollback on firmware. (Hence, if you have any interest in homebrew, do not allow your Switch to update.)

They also started a bug hunt program where they pay out up to 20,000$ USD rewards for reporting exploits to them, so called white (hat) hackers. These are the type of hackers who do hacking for a good purpose such as bug hunt programs, as opposed to black hat who would be associated with, for instance, piracy.

The Switch uses e-Fuses in order to hardware protect the system from a software rollback on firmware. (Hence, if you have any interest in homebrew, do not allow your Switch to update.)

They also started a bug hunt program where they pay out up to 20,000$ USD rewards for reporting exploits to them, so called white (hat) hackers. These are the type of hackers who do hacking for a good purpose such as bug hunt programs, as opposed to black hat who would be associated with, for instance, piracy.

Yeah I'd heard about the hacker reward thing, just had no idea what an e-fuse was, sounds interesting though, nah not really bothered with homebrew anyway was just curious

Vena

Ooh interesting.

This update may have patched some major vulns, potentially very deep seated ones which weren't caught initially. It does (probably non-coincidentally) coincide with a recent major update in bounty additions.

If you have any dream of homebrew, do not upgrade (be warned, the Switch is actually fairly capable (this time around) of blocking you without updates and can get you banned) for the foreseeable future.

Does somebody know if i update from a old system version around 2.0 to this update if there isnt any battery display problem in the first place?

Was this just a problem caused by 3.0?

lol why does it do that

read this post while turning your head left and right. our eyes move subconsciously to fixate on objects or perceive stable images while we are in motion.
chickens and some other birds can't move their eyes, so they subconsciously move their heads/necks instead. it's the same reason they bob their heads - to maximize the amount of time during which they perceive a stable image, such as a patch of grass that might be hiding food
i googled this last time someone posted those gifs and now y'all don't have to

Pokemaniac

Does somebody know if i update from a old system version around 2.0 to this update if there isnt any battery display problem in the first place?

Was this just a problem caused by 3.0?

The battery issue is more of a general hardware thing (software battery meters are more of a guess than most people realize) and the update just allows for fixing it via the standard calibration method.

Generally you'll want to update anyway unless you're holding out for homebrew or something. There have been a bunch of user facing bugfixes and enhancements since 2.0.

Oppo

Why are people shocked? That's exactly what is recommended on any Lithium Ion powered device. Charge it all the way up to full and keep it charged then deplete, shut down, charge to full and repeat a few times. Essentially imprints the battery maximum and minimum.

No it's not. this is the old advice for nickel cadmium batteries.

if you discharge a lithium ion battery completely flat you run a real risk of it never turning on again. they don't have memory. best "ideal" practice is to charge it up from 70% to 95% or so and then take it off. never let it go below 15% (most have fail safes for this).

Nintendo's battery "fix" is incredibly strange. they basically want you to brute-force the recalibration which is definitely going to deplete the overall life of the battery. and also is hilariously onerous as pointed out.

The battery issue is more of a general hardware thing (software battery meters are more of a guess than most people realize) and the update just allows for fixing it via the standard calibration method.

Generally you'll want to update anyway unless you're holding out for homebrew or something. There have been a bunch of user facing bugfixes and enhancements since 2.0.

Ah ok thanks.

Nah was just asking because i thought i maybe dont have to care about the calibration method when i update from a older version since i used my switch months ago the last time.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Love them stability updates. Keep em coming.

Especially CNet still to this day needs them badly.

h
giphy.gif

It is not broken as it keeps the HW up if you do not touch it much or vibrate the table it is sitting on, but that cheap kickstand is really badly designed for a Nintendo product and barely fit for purpose. On most train and airplane rides the Switch would fall quite often in tabletop mode with only the system kickstand to prop it up.
Who would design a thin and very off center slim support like that to keep up a structure of the shape of the Switch?

Ivan 3414

Why are people shocked? That's exactly what is recommended on any Lithium Ion powered device. Charge it all the way up to full and keep it charged then deplete, shut down, charge to full and repeat a few times. Essentially imprints the battery maximum and minimum.

Seriously. I thought most of us had laptops.

I'd love to know what influenced you to believe that proper lithium ion battery care was common knowledge.

On most train and airplane rides the Switch would fall quite often in tabletop mode with only the system kickstand to prop it up.
Who would design a thin and very off center slim support like that to keep up a structure of the shape of the Switch?

I don't know what turbulent planes and shitty trains you go on, but the stand works fine on those rides for me.

supersaw

xebQ6Yj.gif

I noticed the fan spool up quite high randomly a few times while playing Zelda then slow down, never heard it that loud before. Could just be the Darunia dungeon but I've not noticed it go that loud before.

It is not broken as it keeps the HW up if you do not touch it much or vibrate the table it is sitting on, but that cheap kickstand is really badly designed for a Nintendo product and barely fit for purpose. On most train and airplane rides the Switch would fall quite often in tabletop mode with only the system kickstand to prop it up.
It’s never fallen over for me either, not on a plane or light rail. Where do you live that most train rides you take are making your Switch fall over? It sounds like you may have a defective Switch.

I'd love to know what influenced you to believe that proper lithium ion battery care was common knowledge.
It’s obviously not, if people believe this :) DO NOT FOLLOW THESE INSTRUCTIONS, they will lower the life of the battery. You should never let the battery drain completely if you can help it.

Top Bottom