• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch: Online Service Features

I struggle to justify paying for Plus like hell I would pay for a Nintendo variant with even less features.

Also the "with new added online features" for VC games to me confirms you are buying them again.

I already canceled my Plus resub, that increase in price was pure nonsense and I barely play my PS4 for online. I'd never pay for Nintendo online crap if I ever got a Switch.

Fredrik

You can bet your ass if people weren't willing to pay, MS and Sony wouldn't have gone in and continued going down the direction they have.

This is on all of us. Not MS specifically.
Well I voted against the online paywall during the whole last generation when MS was the only one doing this stupid thing. I did my share for free online. Didn't work. Then Sony jumped in too and I payed for awhile. But no more! This has to stop! Everybody need to boycott this nonsense! Reporters need to slam them all for this! All of them!
I mean if it costs so much that it needs to be a pay service, why isn't it a pay service on all platforms!??
Valve should openly point finger and joke about them all on all event on all press conferences. The best platform for "console" gaming 2017 and onwards seems to be Steam Link.

jay

Just like to add to the voices talking about canceling online services. I let Gold expire years ago and my Plus just expired last month and there is little chance I resubscribe. Sorry, Nintendo.

jmdajr

Voice Chat is apparently from their app only, which is the dumbest thing ever.

giphy.gif

oatmeal

Banned
Voice Chat thing is hilarious.

How can we add a feature everyone wants, but ruin it completely?

I GOT IT!

It will be, minimum, $5/month.

Wait, is it a free game every month...or access to a game for free, but for 30 days only?

And why only NES and SNES games? Is there no Gamecube/64/Wii game compatibility?

jmdajr

Wait, is it a free game every month...or access to a game for free, but for 30 days only?

And why only NES and SNES games? Is there no Gamecube/64/Wii game compatibility?

It's because Nintendo are jerks! I'm glad they hold their classics in such high esteem, but it's the year 2016!!!!

I was insane to think they would offer some unlimited NES library for a monthly fee.
LMAO

QnmpdrO.png

On top of everything else wrong with this online offering - for a monthly fee subscribers should have access to every NES/SNES game Nintendo can get a license for. MINIMUM.

Interfectum

- Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

So they take the game back after the month is up?

Did anyone notice that the official Nintendo website reads "The paid online service will be available in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico only at launch.".

I find this confusing for two reasons: 1st I thought the paid service wasn't due to launch till fall and 2nd what does this mean for the other regions?

In any case it all sounds very disappointing to outsource all these features to smartphones. I mean yeah, everybody has one but it seems a bit extreme to not have any features on the system (and according to the UI screens we've seen so far, it looks a bit like that).

A free trial for 6 months with nothing to play

Needing a smartphone app to take advantage of some online capabilities

Nintendo just can't get right.

NotLiquid

A free trial for 6 months with nothing to play

Needing a smartphone app to take advantage of some online capabilities

Nintendo just can't get right.

By the time Fall 2017 rolls around we'll have at least Mario Kart 8, Splatoon 2 and Arms in terms of first party efforts, though I suppose the jury's out on the two latter in terms of how many free months they'll get.

Prologue

Pretty much. Thanks MS for ruining everything for console gamers. Consoles are offline for me from here on. Fun.

Only reason console online gaming is as big as it is, as functional as it is, is because of the risks microsoft took back then.

You're welcome.

I struggle to justify paying for Plus like hell I would pay for a Nintendo variant with even less features.

Also the "with new added online features" for VC games to me confirms you are buying them again.

Or like the ambassador titles certain VC games will be Nintendo Online exclusive...

So how do I play if I'm on South America? Fake US address?
Do you need an address to play? I had an Xbox waaaay before Xbox Live launched in SA and I played just fine from Colombia. Same for PS3/PSN, I played just fine with a US account even before it officially launched in my country.

edit: I want to see how well Splatoon will do now that its multiplayer will be behind a paywall. I've heard good things about the game but can't imagine a great percentage of the Switch user base will pay for online.

Interfectum

Are we sure that voice chat app on your mobile phone is the only way to communicate through the system? That shit seems clunky as fuck.

Tregard

Soothsayer
It's so sad to me that I should be absolutely ecstatic right now about how amazing Super Mario Odyssey and Splatoon 2 look, but all I can focus on is just how badly Nintendo fumbled this whole thing.

The entire time the Splatoon 2 trailer was on, all I could think about is how I'm not going to pay monthly to play it, so there is no point getting excited.

wildfire

Banned
My only hope is the paid service is so dismally supported by customers they drop it ASAP, but I'm not optimistic.

I also hope like only 10% of switch owners pay for the online. This plan needs to go into the trash heap.

I actually believe there is a way to make paying for online multiplayer acceptable but Nintendo aren't doing it like all the other console makers failed to do.

After waking up from the hype of Mario, Zelda and Arms I'm having a lot of negative thoughts about this console because of this specific announcement as well as the lack of proper 3rd party announcements. Square Enix didn't even mention Ni No Kuni.

This is garbage. Absolute garbage.

Could add 200-250 dollars to the life of the system to play online, and instead of new games as a bonus I'll get Roms of games I already own on Wii u and 3ds which should just transfer over in the first place.

There needs to be a massive and loud backlash against this, XB1 reveal style.

This post is fantastic, and I agree. I'm proud of you, Griss :-D

Top Bottom