• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Parental Controls App v1.1 patch notes

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
https://www.nintendo.com/switch/family-fun/parental-controls/software-update/

Version 1.1

View play records for individual users

You can now see how much time each family member spends on the Nintendo Switch console. The app will display:

Daily and monthly game time per person
Daily non-gaming time spent on the console
Daily time spent with Parental Controls disabled
Average play times per month
Days played per month

You can share Monthly play records with another parent or guardian via the app.

View game downloads

You can now see a record of downloads to your console and enable push notifications for new downloads.

Disable alarms for today

Parents or guardians can use their PIN to disable play time limit alarms and game suspensions for a full day. This can come in handy on special occasions and holidays, or whenever everyone’s allowed to play longer.

Your Nintendo Switch must be on version 3.0.0 in order to take advantage of the new features in the Nintendo Switch Parental Controls app.

Vanillalite

Positive

We got granular stats now

Negative

App still blows ass for it's main purpose ie parental controls because shit is still system wide vs per user.

I installed the update the second I found this thread but I still can't see the hours and minutes played of each game I've ever played. So it's still useless to me :/

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They should just put everything into 1 app. Soon I'll have more Switch apps on my Phone than other Apps combined

One app for Online and one for Parental l control...its not like you have to juggle 10 different apps lol.

Raytow

Can you get the time played data on the Switch? remember reading something about unlocking after a week, pretty sure I've played more than a week and can't find it.

I have some questions for regular users of the app if I may:

1) How does the granular breakdown look now - do you get stats for each game or is it stats per day like the Wii menu's messageboard feature?

2) Does it automatically apply changes to previous days or is it for new days going forward? I used the app a while back but was disappointed that it only gave playtime per day.

I also wonder whether the app only displays information from Nintendo's servers for the days where the app is active on the Switch and your phone, or whether you can pair the app later and still see your playtimes.

Wish the online app was as good as this app. It's not perfect but it's a hell of lot more user friendly then the dumpster fire of the online app.

Vanillalite

Wish the online app was as good as this app. It's not perfect but it's a hell of lot more user friendly then the dumpster fire of the online app.

It's user friendly, but it does a piss poor job at parental controls due to shit being system wide vs player by player.

OCD Guy

Can you get the time played data on the Switch? remember reading something about unlocking after a week, pretty sure I've played more than a week and can't find it.

Yes go into your profile and it will show.

However mine didn't show until I played a game for over 10 days, before that point all it would show for each game was "played x days ago"

After 10 days it shows "Played for X hours or more"

Crash331

It's user friendly, but it does a piss poor job at parental controls due to shit being system wide vs player by player.

Yeah, that was my complaint back in March. I turned it on for my kid and then realized I had just locked down my own account as well. I didn't feel like always typing in a password or enabling access or whatever the fuck I had to do each time to unlock my account so I just took it off.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Wow great update! It actually shows you play time rounded to the nearest 5 minutes. It's getting closer and closer to the actual activity log on the 3DS!

zelas

One app for Online and one for Parental l control...its not like you have to juggle 10 different apps lol.

It's not like people are only installing Nintendo apps, of which there are several. They actually could do us a favor by helping us save space/clutter and just having a Nintendo app that can covers anything Nintendo service related. Stickers for Super Mario Run do not need its own app. It, parental controls, and Switch Online should be one "Nintendo" app.

Vanillalite

Yeah, that was my complaint back in March. I turned it on for my kid and then realized I had just locked down my own account as well. I didn't feel like always typing in a password or enabling access or whatever the fuck I had to do each time to unlock my account so I just took it off.

Yeah my family of 4 all have an account on the Switch, but I can't set controls for each account individually which makes it a PITA.

Tillbo

The inability to set limits/restrictions per user really lets down this App. Hopefully it'll be something that gets added with a future update as otherwise it makes it pointless and severely limits it's primary use.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
But not on the device! Beautiful.

lol I know, it makes no sense. I like having it on my phone, but why not both? Well we know the reason why, Nintendo wants to be on your phone and thinking about Switch when you're away from it... but still. Can't we have a proper activity log?

Javier

I haven't downloaded this app yet. I'm guessing if I start using it now, it won't retroactively add my play times, right?

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
I haven't downloaded this app yet. I'm guessing if I start using it now, it won't retroactively add my play times, right?

... I'm pretty sure it will, as long as your Switch has been connected to the internet the whole time you've been using it.

Needham

Updated it. So it does track time spent in the home menu,I thought my play times were longer than they actually were sometimes.

Also, it's strange that when you check a specific day the total time for the day and the more detailed play time don't always match. Different rounding methods?

KtSlime

This app model is so weird. I don't mind the apps, but should be on the Switch too.

What good would that do? Take the Switch away from your kid to check out what games they have been playing? Seems easier to just use your phone and check.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
This app model is so weird. I don't mind the apps, but should be on the Switch too.

What good would that do? Take the Switch away from your kid to check out what games they have been playing? Seems easier to just use your phone and check.

I see the value of having it on the Switch and on the App... they need to have it on BOTH. Makes no sense why they can't do it both places.

KarmaCow

They should just put everything into 1 app. Soon I'll have more Switch apps on my Phone than other Apps combined

Eh, it makes sense to have a layer of separation for the parental controls and the system the child is using. The bigger issue is that the non-parental controls stuff like the stats shouldn't be only in the parental controls app.

fernoca

... I'm pretty sure it will, as long as your Switch has been connected to the internet the whole time you've been using it.
It doesn't.
I downloaded the app in June and it only shows June and July. But wasn't expecting it.

The new update is nice. Shows which games were downloaded that day and even show which games were any "guests" playing.

Top Bottom