• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Switch Presentation 2017 Thread: Joy-Conference

Status
Not open for further replies.

Genocyber

ninstockx9u2z.png

Anyone who is into stocks that can explain this? Are investors slightly disappointed or super disappointed?

Investors are a crazy bunch of people.

This was shown when they drove up the price of Nintendo stock when the company first announced that they would be releasing games on mobile.

When investors learnt that games wouldn't be free to play, they quickly drove down the price.

Kaban

That presentation could have gone so much better if it was just done in a pre-recorded Direct format. Running time could have easily been cut by a third, and they wouldn't have had to deal with cringetastic translators.

Mario, Zelda, Splatoon & MK8D all look great. But Nintendo really seemed out-of-touch considering the unevenness of the release schedule. In all honesty, they were better waiting until the fall to release the Switch.

ArcLyte

So what about those of us who had tempered our hopes and were still disappointed?

Is it our fault it sucked?

No, it's not your fault. This was another press conference in a sea of press conferences where a games company awkwardly shows the hardware and some games, same as all others. Was sony and microsoft's handling of their respective launches any different? nope, they both sucked, both had sparse numbers of barely interesting games announced for launch. My only point is wait for reviews before judging, if only because nintendo deserves the benefit of the doubt more so than some others.

HotHamBoy

It wasn't a great show but I don't get why GAF thinks the sky's falling. 3DS and PS4 had poor launch lineups and they ended up fine. Zelda looks head and shoulders above anything in those lineups. (Except, of course, Knack)

You can't see the difference between the situation the 3DS and PS4 were in VS the mid-gen launch of the Switch?

Polarbear

Banned
In the build up to the conference, I was considering a pre-order. Now I'm going to pass for the forseeable future.

The bad outweighs the good:

The Good:

Region free
Zelda for launch
Hardware itself looks nice to me, and the portable element fits in well with my lifestyle.
Mario looks fun - though the city segment does look unimpressive.
Glad to see No More Heroes return in some form.

The bad:

Too expensive
Unimpressive launch lineup with no surprises.
Mario is ages away.
Too expensive.
Paid for online - utterly unjustifiable given Nintendo's terrible online system and lack of multiplayer games.
No explanation of transferrable virtual console purchases from Wii U/3DS
Too expensive
Absolutely no word on Retro Studios game, and no Metroid (for god's sake, just get a talented studio to 'Sonic Mania' a 2D one into existence).
Given the 3DS/Wii U drought, there should have been more games!

What they should have done:

Cheaper
Free online
Bundled a selection of virtual console games into the system at launch to try and tap into some of the same success as the NES mini.
Have more ready for launch, even indie-developed Nintendo-licensed titles.
Mario Maker 2 with more content would have been tempting, as its by far and away my most played Wii U game.

So yeah, I'll wait.

$430 for the console, Zelda, and a pro controller

It's a complete non starter. Nintendo shit the bed.

Skylanders just posted a quick clip with a "Coming Soon" for Switch, seems likely the game will be at launch.

I dunno if Skylanders is as popular as it once was, but when Giants came out for the Wii U (after the first game was on the Wii, and then Giants first launched on the Wii), I'm pretty sure it still sold pretty good. If any families buy a Switch for their household, its a good bet they'll get Imaginators too, especially if retailers have some sort of bundle going on around Easter/Thanksgiving. (and granted we don't get another new Skylanders game this year)

Zedark

Feeling really sorry for Laura, she is on Twitch and just relayed she has been doxxed and getting threats on twitter and twitch. Shitty ass people there, she even has quite a lot right (of course quite some wrong, but still).

NintendoEverything said:
The game will also support voice chat using the new Nintendo Switch smart device app (a free, limited version of the app will be available this summer),

Bumping this, because the PAID ONLINE panic is getting ridiculous. I personally thought the presentation was hype! Only real disappointment is no Mario or Splatoon at launch. I don't know why folks are shocked at the price; a lot of tech went into the JoyCons, after all. HD Rumble seems fascinating to me. There'll probably be more details during Treehouse tomorrow; I'd just relax. Don't be like SUDA51's translator.

ninstockx9u2z.png

Anyone who is into stocks that can explain this? Are investors slightly disappointed or super disappointed?

I dont understand this either. I dont think its exclusive to Nintendo or to this product. If Im remembering correctly, Apple stock decreases after a presentation. To my untrained eye it doesnt make sense. They showed off cool new hardware and software that people want to spend money on. If anything you would think the stock would increase

The_Lump

Banned
Seems the presentation was the problem, more than anything.

If someone had told me last year that 2017 would give us (at the very least):

Zelda
Mario (spiritual sucessor to Mario 64)
Splatoon 2
Xenoblade 2
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe

I'd have taken it with a smile. Sounds awesome.

Nintendo really need a lesson in visual communication, it seems.

Mikey Jr.

"Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017"

Thread worthy in my opinion. If its only from your pho e, I'll die laughing.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
How does Nintendo not have a PR with the launch lineup ready to go?

Nintendo stock down 5.95%

Nintendo stocks mean absolutely nothing in any discussions. I dunno why people keep screencapping the google stocks page. It dips up and down randomly for virtually everything they announce.

I dont understand this either. I dont think its exclusive to Nintendo or to this product. If Im remembering correctly, Apple stock decreases after a presentation. To my untrained eye it doesnt make sense. They showed off cool new hardware and software that people want to spend money on. If anything you would think the stock would increase

It's probably either investors wanting to quickly make a buck on their stocks in the event whatever new product they're introducing doesn't pan out.

Raab

Neo Member
The price is a bit of a disappointment in principle since 250 is the Magic Zone for a cheap Nintendo console to get 1st party games. However, it seems to be a death of a thousand cuts problem; there is a lot of small things in the Switch that add up fast, particularly the two wireless controllers with significant hardware inside them.

For me personally I don't care because Zelda looks really exceptional. Some may need to stop and realize the Switch, over the long haul, represents a major change for Nintendo. They have to put all their software on it. Same goes for 3rd parties that supported the 3DS out of Japan. We already have SMT V coming to the Switch.

This is what realization I've come to with the Switch (and why I'll get it). The typical Nintendo games now have to be under one console. No good Pokémon on handheld and offshoots on console...unless phones take that role.

Overall, Nintendo's first party output for the first 9 months is good. We're getting a new Zelda, Splatoon, 3D Mario, Xenoblade and Mario Kart in its first 9 months. There are more than likely a few unannounced games releasing in summer-holiday 2017. However, their 3rd party lineup was terrible. I was hoping it would be some combination of Wii U and 3DS launch lineup but it was terrible. Ubisoft, Activision, Namco and Capcom were completely missing which I found surprising. Sega gets up on there to promise they are making a game for it. Suda appears to say he's been thinking about doing something with Travis Touchdown for a year now and that whatever it is will be on Switch at some point. EA talks about how amazing FIFA on Switch is. They show off a SMT game for its 25th anniversary but they only just thought up the idea so who knows when it will release.

kunonabi

I should really say something about ports and the lack of new games by Nintendo despite telling Wii U owners to go kick rocks for the last year but I won't.

Super Mario Odyssey: Interesting direction. It didn't work for Sonic but maybe Nintendo can stick the landing on it.

Splatoon 2: Nice to see it isn't port although the release date being so late is unfortunate.

Xenoblade 2: Meh, I prefer the Chronicles world but I'm sure it will be fine. Kind of letdown to be honest.

ARMs: I really thought it was going to build off 1,2, switch and be a fighter without a screen. Still looks kinda cool though.

1-2 Switch: Looks great but this absolutely should have been built in-software and not a (full?) retail release

Fire Emblem Musou: Hell yes but it sucks that it seems to be super far off.

Octopath Traveler - not a fan of side scrolling RPGS but still one to watch out for.

Shin Megami Tensei Something: Should be awesome but yikes at being so far off.

Travis Touchdown thing: I want to be excited but Suda51 is just pawning another game off on one of his loser subordinates I'm not too interested.

Nagoshi's thing: Who knows.

I'm super amped about the joy cons and no region locking but the pricing and paid online is garbage.

While my decision to not buy a Switch until a revision/price drop seems to be the right choice I have to say I'm excited for the Switch now. Nintendo hasn't completely lost their identity and the Joy Cons don't look like they going to ignored like I assumed they were.

The lack of first party software on display was kind of shocking and the presentation was really poorly structured though. I think Nintendo kind of botched it a bit.

Dre3001

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017

There is no way this can be true??

xevis

Banned
Catching up now. Personal highlights:
- New 3D Mario!
- So much Dragon Quest!
- New Bravely-Default-ish game from Square!
- Insincere villain-like figure from EA invoking the birth of his child as proof of his love for Nintendo.

Bumping this, because the PAID ONLINE panic is getting ridiculous. I personally thought the presentation was hype! Only real disappointment is no Mario or Splatoon at launch. I don't know why folks are shocked at the price; a lot of tech went into the JoyCons, after all. HD Rumble seems fascinating to me. There'll probably be more details during Treehouse tomorrow; I'd just relax. Don't be like SUDA51's translator.

Read what? Are you implying that it's not pay to play online, or pay to voice chat (through a phone app)?

4b3oXa0.jpg

People are angry. Oh dear.

I just finished watching and thought it looked fantastic.
Right there with you! As a PC + Nintendo person, this is the 3D leap I've wanted for so long with some baggage that- while I'm not a fan of it- I'm willing to accept.

Where's Pikmin, Animal Crossing, Smash, and Dark Souls tho? :p

HawaiianDreads

Neo Member
Ahhh okay thanks. Yeah i was hoping i could play it on the Switch instead. Oh well.

e: omg i just realized there's no region lock... hmmm

I mean when it release WW I'm pretty sure SE is going to have a Switch port as well so I don't see why not, you just have to wait a little longer that's all.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017"

Let me know if you make one. This can't be true. It seriously must be a mistake.

$430 for the console, Zelda, and a pro controller

It's a complete non starter. Nintendo shit the bed.

You don't NEED a pro controller

People have been saying they're dead at $300 for so long that now people just assume that that's true. They're going to be fine. And if not they can always do a price cut and turn it around like the 3DS.

Nintendo is Doomed is so boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom