• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo uploads ARMS stream (Japanese, nearly an hour)... Game looks fantastic!

ryechu

Ugh. I know. That's a grab, not a punch.

if you do it simultaneously. you can through out two punches at different times but still close enough to have tilt control over both. Also even when you grab you can tilt both arms and curve your grab or even move both arms independently (curve them together or apart)

I do feel spoiled with fighting games nowadays where rosters reach nearly 30 characters or more. I do remember a time where we only got 8 playable fighters, 4 unplayable bosses and subsequent full priced sequels slowly increasing the roster.

ARMS in this state does seem a little light for $60, it's not 1993 anymore.

The best value for me was the mid-90s to early 2000s when we got tons of extra modes like Tekken Ball, World Tour, Dramatic Battle etc.

Honestly, I prefer full priced sequels to what we get now with service based games like SFV. Each full priced game had to stand on its own. So we got more variety of music/stages/modes. But obviously times change and game budgets have really ballooned since then.

hatchx

Banned
10-15, as some are suggesting, would be a fine amount.

But that said, there's no indication whatsoever of just how much content the game will have based solely on this initial reveal. How about we wait and see? You're basing your assumptions on nothing.

Nintendo's last new fighting game, Pokken, had 16 characters. The first Smash had 12.

These are fine amounts and if ARMS is in that ballpark then that's great.

SFV, the newest SF, also started with 16.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 8, maybe 10. The characters each have customized gloves, and each has their own story mode or missions, tbh I'd be totally fine with what.

I'm more interested in what modes it has, especially for single player and online. Costumes and unlockables and a healthy set of stages would be cool too. For me personally, modes matter more than a large character number.

I wouldn't be surprised if it's 8, maybe 10. The characters each have customized gloves, and each has their own story mode or missions, tbh I'd be totally fine with what.

I'm more interested in what modes it has, especially for single player and online. Costumes and unlockables and a healthy set of stages would be cool too. For me personally, modes matter more than a large character number.

Between Smash 4, MK8 and Splatoon, Nintendo has shown a willingness to provide both free and paid DLC for stages, characters, equipment and modes. I very much see it being a game that grows throughout the gen, and I think they'll avoid the situation that Splatoon suffered from where it launched a bit prematurely and wasn't a "complete" package until 2 months later. The gameplay looks strong enough for it to hold up, much like Splatoon's, but it still probably did some damage initially

Malus

10-15, as some are suggesting, would be a fine amount.

But that said, there's no indication whatsoever of just how much content the game will have based solely on this initial reveal. How about we wait and see? You're basing your assumptions on nothing.

Nintendo's last new fighting game, Pokken, had 16 characters. The first Smash had 12.

These are fine amounts and if ARMS is in that ballpark then that's great.

SFV, the newest SF, also started with 16.

I'm not assuming anything lol. I'm just speculating while we wait for further details. The other person was talking about 30 characters which I'd be surprised with.

Speely

Banned
if you do it simultaneously. you can through out two punches at different times but still close enough to have tilt control over both. Also even when you grab you can tilt both arms and curve your grab or even move both arms independently (curve them together or apart)

Oh? That's very interesting for sure. Do you have any suggestions for viewing this in action, or first-hand accounts about how it plays out?

I ask not so much because of the Pro Controller questions, but because of how this works for grabs/throws. Wouldn't this mean that one should always curve apart for throws to maximize ones grab area? I mean, if you can curve each hand apart during a throw, why not do it every time, right?

Doorman

They won't but Nintendo should heavily market this with "from the developers of Mario Kart".
Frankly I'd be happy just to stop that sentence at "Nintendo should heavily market this."

Impressions of the demo have been very positive but they'll really need to message this carefully lest people overlook it as just another Wii Boxing, as tended to happen after its initial reveal. As has been said, there needs to be more push around the characters and the game's mechanics, rather than focusing on presenting motion controls yet again.

random25

Frankly I'd be happy just to stop that sentence at "Nintendo should heavily market this."

Impressions of the demo have been very positive but they'll really need to message this carefully lest people overlook it as just another Wii Boxing, as tended to happen after its initial reveal. As has been said, there needs to be more push around the characters and the game's mechanics, rather than focusing on presenting motion controls yet again.

Nintendo is currently promoting it to FGC, believe it or not. It's a start.

Top Bottom