• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo: We have no plans to release a new Nintendo Switch model during 2020

DESTROYA

Guys, Amazon currently offers a Switch + free game of choice here.
I have a launch unit witch is heavily in use.
Should i take the chance to “upgrade” to the revisited switch, now that no PRO is coming anytime soon?
I don’t see why you would have too unless you need the extended battery life.
If your OG still works good I say your better off buying more games instead of another Switch.

iconmaster

Banned
Switch Pro will happen for two main reasons - first being next gen ports. If fans/Nintendo want any hope of getting next gen ports to Switch, you need stronger hardware. Second reason being BOTW 2 and other Nintendo first party titles.

I'm not seeing where BotW 2 is any great leap over the original, but I'll grant you that ports will become an issue at some point. Why would Nintendo solve this with a Switch Pro rather than a Switch 2, though? (By "Switch 2" I mean a Switch successor that is backwards-compatible with Switch games but also plays a new generation of games which don't run on the original Switch.)

evanft

I'm not seeing where BotW 2 is any great leap over the original, but I'll grant you that ports will become an issue at some point. Why would Nintendo solve this with a Switch Pro rather than a Switch 2, though? (By "Switch 2" I mean a Switch successor that is backwards-compatible with Switch games but also plays a new generation of games which don't run on the original Switch.)

I think the naming is semantics. "Next version of the Switch utilizing more powerful hardware." Whether you want to go it Pro or 2 doesn't really matter much.

I don’t see why you would have too unless you need the extended battery life.
If your OG still works good I say your better off buying more games instead of another Switch.

I completely agree with this. You can just buy an inexpensive battery pack for $20 or less for your OG Switch, and use that $300 to purchase 6-8 Nintendo 1st-party games.

Varteras

Gold Member
Alright then. I was going to put off buying a Switch this year if a Pro version was indeed coming this Summer. Since it sounds like it'll be a while yet, gonna have to jump in. Not waiting for Smash Bros or Fire Emblem anymore!

RAIDEN1

Well as the saying goes, if it ain't broke, why fix it? The Switch is going great guns, and isn't worried about the PS5 and Xbox Series X.....so they can decide as and when to release the next major upgrade..

iconmaster

Banned
I think the naming is semantics. "Next version of the Switch utilizing more powerful hardware." Whether you want to go it Pro or 2 doesn't really matter much.

This is completely wrong, sorry. A "Switch Pro," as I've always understood how it's meant, represents a generational half-step along the lines of the PS4 Pro and Xbox One X. A Pro would simply run existing Switch games better. A true Switch successor, however, means a whole new ecosystem of games and game development. It would represent a major shift for Nintendo, for its developers and for its customers.

The latter will happen at some point, whatever it's called. It's the former that's in question.

Last edited:

MaestroMike

Gold Member
i hope so they should be focusing all their resources on making games right now not some refresh. early adopters get screwed over with having inferior tech AND less games to play becuz of diverted resources going to these refreshes its not fair

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
tenor.gif

ultrazilla

Gold Member
I still think the "Switch Up"(pro model) is coming this year. Now when does Nintendo launch it-spring, summer, fall...

Being that the PS5 and Xbox Series X will almost certainly be $499 at launch, Nintendo could release the "Switch Up" around
the same time of those systems but come in at $350-$399.

However, I think we'll still hear something soon(Spring) regarding the system and it'll launch this summer.

nordique

Difference between prior “fibs” and this is that Nintendo is directly telling investors

that’s what makes me believe they’re being honest here Vs the past

with the prior models it was to the press they said “no new 3ds model” and specifically “we won’t announce anything at e3”

that said the switch is also a new beast for Nintendo. iwata did say switch was going to be a family of systems (at least that’s how it was planned) and they’d follow a more mobile type upgrade path as opposed to every 5-6 years hardware upgrades, they’d do updates every 2-3 years. That’s why Nvidia said they had a “20 year” relationship planned

I’m sure where there’s smoke there’s fire. They might not release a new model this year but they might next year, something that could receive ports from the next gen of consoles or have ray tracing ability similar to how The X1 can scale most current gen engines

Last edited:
Nintendo might launch new more powerful Switch console early next year

jigglet

Banned
I want:

1) Fixed joycon drift.

2) A non-flimsy stand.

3) The ability to charge it while in tabletop mode without buying a special stand (a receded USB port that allows an angled charge cable would be an easy solution to that).

Come to think of it, the Switch is so well designed there's actually not much I really want in a successor other than more grunt obviously.

carlosrox

Banned
Switch 2 in 2021 is less likely than a Pro I think, but I doubt a Pro would be a massive difference from the original.

We'll see though.

Edit: Oh it's a necrobump. Shouldn't this just be a new thread then?

Last edited:

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Switch 2 in 2021 is less likely than a Pro I think, but I doubt a Pro would be a massive difference from the original.

We'll see though.

Edit: Oh it's a necrobump. Shouldn't this just be a new thread then?

New "news" usually justifies a new thread, yes.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
At first I'd think that's stupid, it's another WiiHD.

But then I think how silent Nintendo has been this year...so, who knows? Stranger things have happened.

We'll see..hopefully.

Top Bottom