• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NintendoLand - Review Thread

Randdalf

GameXplain's review is very to the point: the multiplayer games are unexpectedly fun, the singleplayer games are mainly boring and flawed.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
RMC review snippet (from the place to go for Nintendo news):
RMC said:
I'm honestly worried about Nintendo Land's ability to sell the Wii U to the newcomers. This package is much, MUCH more focused on the regular/core gamer than Wii Sports ever was. I can understand the idea of Nintendo expecting Wii owners to have evolved over the last 6 years, so something like Nintendo Land might make sense as the next step for that expanded audience gamer. Unfortunately, I think they might be overestimating the abilities of those gamers. Wii Sports is being played in nursing homes to this very day. I really don't see that same crowd picking up, understanding and enjoying Nintendo Land in the same way.

With that said, you can obviously tell that Nintendo Land is a blast for the regular gamer. You'll get what's going on here. You'll also have plenty of unique and interesting ways to learn about what the Wii U GamePad does. Nintendo Land is without a doubt, the showpiece for the Wii U and GamePad. This is the title that's going to make you a believer in the tech. You'll be itching to take on some of these control ideas in full-fledged games. You may have written off the title based on what you've seen so far, but I strongly suggest you rethink that stance.

For a lot of people:

eatcrow.jpg

I always thought it looked like a great game.

And this proves it!

Oh wait, those are just articles written by a handful of people with numbers attached to them. And they're not even universally positive.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
SteeloDMZ pls

Just stop, man

It's a fuckin' minigame collection. Just be happy it's free.

ibdjSQudf9Lotd.gif

A mini game collection can't be a great product? hahaha.

You are caring way too much about what other person thinks.

And this proves it!

Oh wait, those are just articles written by a handful of people with numbers attached to them. And they're not even universally positive.

What does a game need then to prove that it's not the "trash" others called it? Your approval?

7/10s is about what I expected. The lack of much replay value ("gets boring after a couple hours") was also expected. I'm happy I stuck with the standard edition without this.

Kosma

Banned
Doesn't look good for a launch title.

It's no Wii Sports that's for sure, this won't be bought by the hardcore, won't make soccer moms and elderly folks buy this like they did for Wii Bowling.

mollipen

Yeah, but according to some previews I gather that single-player attractions are pretty lame compared to multi-player ones.

Well, and that's part of what I'm saying—the single-player games should have been pulled out, and more multiplayer games put in. The multiplayer attractions that are included aren't anywhere enough to carry the entire game as a mutliplayer-focused release.

Davey Cakes

I have a hard time thinking badly of a 7/10 score for this. Wii Sports and Resort were games that people thought were shallow and unspectacular in some reviews, and yet they ended up being some of the Wii's best social experiences through the system's lifespan.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I do wonder how much the locked-out Miiverse features will affect the experience. If those provide the equivalent of leaderboards, more social factors in the plaza.

Also, frankly, LOL at Jose Otero saying unlockables are dated and useless.

Anyway, it's about the score spread and the overall reviews I would have expected. No matter how good or bad the package really is, this is not something for the core games industry and people within it. I would agree it's probably pointless for that audience; they're just going to be waiting with baited breath for the most epic games possible and/or the first AAA competitive online multiplayer game.

The constant Wii Sports comparisons are understandable and inevitable, though in a sense, not useful. The unique aspects of the platform seem to be slow burners; the value of which become clearer over time as one integrates it into daily gaming life. It's not really predicated on the shock value of the Wii.

Well, and that's part of what I'm saying—the single-player games should have been pulled out, and more multiplayer games put in. The multiplayer attractions that are included aren't anywhere enough to carry the entire game as a mutliplayer-focused release.

Nothing could have gone over worse than a package game having no single player mode at all.

Take out the singleplayer games and you piss off people that don't always have people around.

You have to cover all bases if you want to get the most out of a product.

I'm not very fond of strictly multiplayer games.

What does a game need then to prove that it's not the "trash" others called it? Your approval?

No, that's an entirely subjective assessment and is different for each person, which is part of why it was so ridiculous for you to proclaim how objectively great the game must be based on a handful of reviews and (presumably) no actual experience with the game yourself.

It's every bit as silly to label the game trash without playing it either, but using a couple of positive reviews as some kind of ironclad proof that the game must be great and that everyone who disagrees is wrong is just some weak ass fanboy shit.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Metacritic:

Wii Sports Resort - 80%

Wii Sports - 76%

Wii Play - 58%

The reviews are much more in line with the sports titles (so far).

Edit:

NintendoLand is at a 76% with seven reviews counted.

He said in the review. Metroid Blast and Balloon Trip made up for the others. If they weren't there, I'm guessing it would have scored lower. It seems like you can easily ignore the bad ones

Cool, those two looked like standouts to me too.

I didn't listen to the review yet(only the Mario one from them) but I know he hates Donkey Kong Crash Course and thought the Yoshi game was clever but not too exciting.

i'd reckon wii sports could be considered a classic, and it's avg review was a 76, bodes well for Nland.

Wii Sports emulated motions/sports everyone from kids to grandparents are familiar with. That's the experience that sold the Wii to millions of people that had no interest in buying anything but Wii Sports. These mini-games won't have nearly the same appeal, nor do I think Nintendo thinks they will.

Please teach me its real meaning. I'm truly interested in what you have to say.

Here's a hint: If you say a game is going to be great, and someone else says it isn't going to be great, and then the review average lands within what is widely considered to be the "Average" score range, you don't serve the other guy crow.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
And reviews are all that matters. If you didn't know that already, then you have no business making any judgements about a videogame yourself!

Smartass, look at the thread title and tell me what it says, ok?

Did you see the little word "Review"? Here, let me make it easier for you:

jVeOoX3qXRhlB.PNG

What do you expect people to talk about in a thread about reviews, pancakes?

For fuck's sake. lol

Kifimbo

Metacritic:

Wii Sports Resort - 80%

Wii Sports - 76%

Wii Play - 58%

NintendoLand is at a 76% with seven reviews counted.

This. I'm not saying NintendoLand will be a gamechanger like Wii Sports, but journalists blaming NintendoLand for not being as great as Wii Sports should remember they were not exactly enthusiastic about Wii Sports back then.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It's kind of not, though. There are twelve attractions, and only half of those are multiplayer-focused. (Outside of the option where you can take a tour of the part, and have mini-challenges in every game.) I kind of wish they'd go all-out in the multiplayer focus, and not had half the game be single-player.

And I kind of wish they'd done the opposite. So maybe a blend of the two is good.

I don't understand the logic of selling it as a full priced game though, it has pack-in written all over it.

MormaPope

Banned
Here's a hint: If you say a game is going to be great, and someone else says it isn't going to be great, and then the review average lands within what is widely considered to be the "Average" score range, you don't serve the other guy crow.

That's what I was getting at before. Having the attitude of "Eat crow motherfuckers!" for 7/10 reviews is hilarious and like I said, delusional.

codhand

Wii Sports emulated motions/sports everyone from kids to grandparents are familiar with. That's the experience that sold the Wii to millions of people that had no interest in buying anything but Wii Sports. These mini-games won't have nearly the same appeal, nor do I think Nintendo thinks they will.

mini-game is not a slur, and it can be applied to wii sports too, i agree though about a tacit understanding of the motions involved in playing wii sports though, and how that made it more accessible, but i was merely talking about how Nland is being received critically.

Juken

About what I expected. Looking forward to some fun multiplayer

Smartass, look at the thread title and tell me what it says, ok?

Did you see the little word "Review"? What do you expect people to talk about in this thread, pancakes?

For fuck's sake. lol

Dunno what is with you and this game, but your bickering with everyone is derailing the thread.

Top Bottom