• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's 76th Annual General Meeting of Shareholders | June 29, 10 a.m. JST

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
I still don't see the point in a 100% shared library. The console would just end up selling poorly and they'll switch to a full-on hybrid with the next generation. Either share most games with some exclusives so that all of the hardware has appeal, or just make a hybrid.

Because it would easily fix the software drought problem, and that would fix most of the other issues.

I don't get how you instantly jump from "shared library" to "console selling poorly." That is a massive leap in logic.

Kouriozan

The bit about them planning to release 5 smart phone games up until March is interesting.

https://twitter.com/Cheesemeister3k/status/747973265071583232

Barely any info on any of them yet, even with E3 just passing but suddenly there's going to be a sort of flood of them from now to March?

The NX was also absent from E3, with a planned March release...

This sounds very related to me.
I have no doubt the smartphone games will be playable on NX (or NX is based on android /s)

I still don't see the point in a 100% shared library. The console would just end up selling poorly and they'll switch to a full-on hybrid with the next generation. Either share most games with some exclusives so that all of the hardware has appeal, or just make a hybrid.
As long as people are invested in Nintendo's ecosystem, what does it matter which device they prefer? If someone only plays Nintendo games on the go, if someone prefers to play on a big screen TV, or if someone prefers a little bit of both, buy-once-play-anywhere services everyone. Nintendo only has to develop one library of software, and none of their customers are shortchanged. There are other ways to make owning multiple devices appealing, like picking up on one device where you left off on another.

I don't know about 100% shared, but exclusives for the sake of compelling people to buy another device isn't necessarily the way to go either.

Eradicate

This photo! So good
D2ggv5L.jpg

dd9RfY9.png

Mind if I steal the DK section? It's rather adorable

Have at it! I just trimmed it up is all! Nice avatar!

I think the funniest part of that is the response to "You need women on in leadership positions" is, "Well, we got Reggie in America."

I'm fairly certain that room-wide/TV screen augmented reality attachment is the gimmick. It makes sense for Nintendo, and it would probably be pretty cool.

Not sure how it would affect local multiplayer, though.

LOL!!! Yeah, that was a funny comment about Reggie! I never knew that about him/her!

Also, as far as AR, I think it would be awesome! One old WSJ article mentioned the possibility of a "mobile unit" along with the console and had no idea if it'd be sold with the console or not. It's already been discussed, but I still can't help but think they may have a "dummy tablet" (sturdy, small, limited touch screen functions) that acts like a VMU 2.0 but can do AR-related things, as well as additional cool things if you aim it's camera(s) at the TV screen. It'd be neat to play a Mario game and you use AR to move pieces around so that now Mario can make the jump, for instance!

It'd also be an enhancement to the experience of playing but not take away from them using a more standard controller. Heck, maybe put a camera into the top of the controller (facing away from the player), and then you could possibly do really neat things on screen with another set of cameras/IR around with a dummy tablet.

デザイン(レイアウト、図、グラフ、色など:

悪い - Waluigi spin-off confirmed.

Haha, awesome! Waluigi could be a system seller! Waluigi's Elegant Mansion and you go around just messing up parties and tearing things up. Let him have his own game!

Has anyone compiled the entire Q&A? I know the official transcript will be available in a few days but do we have the tweeted versions?

From what I've seen of the Q&A they do seem to be a bit more focused when it comes to NX, what with production beginning soon and some of their other responses being less vague than in the past. It really seems like Nintendo is waiting out Sony until a time when Sony won't be able to add whatever new idea/concept/hook the NX has to the Neo. The fact that Nintendo is aware and worried about that suggests that it's something that would be fairly easy to implement in a few months, which goes with their philosophy of "lateral thinking with withered technology."

I still think it's going to be heavily based on cameras and image/IR sensors, and it might include head or eye tracking, that TV based hologram patent feature (3D TV without glasses), and certainly some AR features. Hopefully though they have a much tighter focus than just "cameras" like I've been spouting. There needs to be a clear benefit, a clear distinction, and a clear application of the new concept. Otherwise it'll wind up closer to Wii U territory than Wii territory.

Hilarion

I still think it's going to be heavily based on cameras and image/IR sensors, and it might include head or eye tracking, that TV based hologram patent feature (3D TV without glasses), and certainly some AR features. Hopefully though they have a much tighter focus than just "cameras" like I've been spouting. There needs to be a clear benefit, a clear distinction, and a clear application of the new concept. Otherwise it'll wind up closer to Wii U territory than Wii territory.

If you're somehow right that they're planning on doing holograms (and boy is that a crazy thing to even think about), they need to get EA on the horn right now and set up a Star Wars holochess game.

LsyBD9j.jpg

If you're somehow right that they're planning on doing holograms (and boy is that a crazy thing to even think about), they need to get EA on the horn right now and set up a Star Wars holochess game.

LsyBD9j.jpg

It's not that type of holograms that I (or some other people talking about holograms) mean. It's more "simulated holograms" which is similar to 3D TVs-

ZHMXypA.png

The patent talks about having a standard 3D effect on any TV which appears like holograms sticking out of the TV when you move your head, but in addition to that the software can track your head, such that moving your head tells the image on the screen to show a different angle, as if you're looking through a window. Just a note, the glasses in that image are explicitly referred to as only for tracking purposes, so that the camera on the TV can track your head movements. This can also be done without those glasses (or headband or whatever else they mention in the patent).

Far below Yoshi's Island, and it felt another mistep in the serie: Safe and easy. The Yarn gimmick was already done by themselves before. So even talking about quality, Yoshi's Island remains a cult classic and an amazing platformer. Yoshi's Wooly World will remain a cute and funny platformer that was good as opposed to the others in the serie. As for calling Nintendo Land fantastic, this is a line I wouldn't cross. Come on, it was funny but that's mainly something people would play because of droughts. Let's not pretend people were excited for this at E3.

Again, you said that QUALITY had gone down. Imagine someone who buys a Wii U and hasn't played the previous game in those series. Is this person getting installments of lower quality? Overwhelmingly, the answer is "no." You may be tired of them, but that is clouding your judgement of their quality.

Same for Nintendo Land. What does it matter to the person playing the game whether people were excited for it in June 2012 or not? I've played the game with a lot of different people, and I've also played it many, many times with my wife, and it's been a huge success every time. It's more fun playing Nintendo Land than Mario Kart or Smash Bros. with people who are playing the Wii U for the first time or are not as big of a gamer as us. I beat everybody at Mario Kart because I've played it extensively before booting it up with friends and before that I played Mario Kart 7 for over 100 hours. But everyone, no matter their skill level or familiarity with the system or the game, has a chance at beating you in Nintendo Land. There hasn't been a better party game than that on any system in a long-ass time.

It's not that type of holograms that I (or some other people talking about holograms) mean. It's more "simulated holograms" which is similar to 3D TVs-

ZHMXypA.png

The patent talks about having a standard 3D effect on any TV which appears like holograms sticking out of the TV when you move your head, but in addition to that the software can track your head, such that moving your head tells the image on the screen to show a different angle, as if you're looking through a window. Just a note, the glasses in that image are explicitly referred to as only for tracking purposes, so that the camera on the TV can track your head movements. This can also be done without those glasses (or headband or whatever else they mention in the patent).

I have no idea why this idea's become popular again among a select few here: There is no way this is happening. It isn't even that interesting of an application; plus it's not like you can move much (or would want to) when sitting down.

I have no idea why this idea's become popular again among a select few here: There is no way this is happening. It isn't even that interesting of an application; plus it's not like you can move much (or would want to) when sitting down.

It's one of the many applications of head/face tracking software paired with a camera, which seems to be an area Nintendo's been focusing a lot of their R&D lately.

It's one of the many applications of head/face tracking software paired with a camera, which seems to be an area Nintendo's been focusing a lot of their R&D lately.

Is it? Was it in one of their reports I missed, or are you going off of its use in recent systems like the New 3DS and GamePad?

I very much doubt a camera gimmick is where Nintendo's going with the NX; that's essentially just a Kinect with faster response times. Plus the changing-perspective idea is the antithesis of their "play together" mentality when it comes to consoles.

Mega

Banned

Just take real world examples.

The Sega Game Gear would have had an abysmal library if it didn't share architecture and games with the Master System.

Wii U itself would have had an incredibly robust selection of games without any droughts if it had a combined library with the 3DS.

HeySeuss

Nintendo wouldn't release the pulse adapter they were working on for the Wii because it was only like 90% reliable as a controller input. Do people really think they'll push out a half-assed hologram or 3D application for television sets? C'mon people use your critical thinking skills.

bachikarn

Just take real world examples.

The Sega Game Gear would have had an abysmal library if it didn't share architecture and games with the Master System.

Wii U itself would have had an incredibly robust selection of games without any droughts if it had a combined library with the 3DS.

But if they are a 100% shared library, what is the selling point of the console? Playing portable games on your TV?

I think the argument is that most consumers would most likely just get the portable NX and ignore the console. Now, there would definitely be people who get the console or both, but would it be more than the current Wii U user base?

Honestly to me, a 100% shared library is almost equivalent to them dropping out of the console space. It's not like the portable would be a graphical beast, so the console would have to be gimped. A lot of people like to bring an iPhone/iPad comparison but this situation would be more like iPhone/iMac but the iMac could only run iPhone apps. Who would that really appeal to?

But if they are a 100% shared library, what is the selling point of the console? Playing portable games on your TV?
Playing Nintendo games on your TV.

Console games could be scaled down; wouldn't necessarily just be handheld games scaled up. Honestly, part of the reason the Wii U failed to take off is because it has very similar games with very similar gameplay to what's on the 3DS. If you want a 2D Mario game, there's one on the 3DS. 3D-ish Mario? On the 3DS. Donkey Kong? 3DS. Mario Kart? 3DS. Smash? 3DS. Unless you really want to be in front of your TV, Nintendo fans could be sated pretty well with just a 3DS. Instead of managing two completely different ecosystems each with their own versions of very similar games, they can just have one library.

If you're portable-only, you get the games you want. If you're console-only, you get the games you want. If you're a fan of both, you get the games you want. Who loses? Heck, it's better for Nintendo since it streamlines their development and marketing efforts, and it's conceivable that we'll even get more games out of the deal. If Nintendo only makes one 2D Mario game instead of two, that frees up some resources to make a completely different game instead.

Richie

I think the argument is that most consumers would most likely just get the portable NX and ignore the console. Now, there would definitely be people who get the console or both, but would it be more than the current Wii U user base?

Honestly to me, a 100% shared library is almost equivalent to them dropping out of the console space. It's not like the portable would be a graphical beast, so the console would have to be gimped. A lot of people like to bring an iPhone/iPad comparison but this situation would be more like iPhone/iMac but the iMac could only run iPhone apps. Who would that really appeal to?

I don't know man. Your argument needs the assumption that, were there a portable PS4/XB1 with the exact same library as its console counterpart, the CoD/FIFA/Madden/GTA crowd would suddenly decide to opt out of their big HD screen in favor of a small portable where those games won't shine as bright. That handheld gaming is somehow inherently more desirable than console gaming. Costs less to jump in? Sure, but people will happily play extra for more power (the entire premise behind Scorpio and Neo) and the benefits of it can't be overlooked.

FStubbs

LsyBD9j.jpg

EA. Putting a game on Nintendo hardware. Rotfl. They'd build out an add-on for Sony/MS first.

The point is simple: Nintendo can't support two platforms. In one way or another, their home console business will still struggle. Instead, the point of 100% shared library is to put your eggs in a safe, in which each form factor is a key. They can't bet on home console because they're not doing well and they can't bet on handhelds because it might get burned. If you share most games with some exclusives, you create competition between the two platforms. The point is to let people chose based on the form factor they want.

I don't think they will have a 100% shared library. I expect it to be similar to an iOS/android market where the handheld and console have a similar architecture and OS to allow for cross development. However, not all titles would be cross platform. I don't think we're going to be playing Zelda BotW on a portable but there are many franchises/games where the ability to easily develop for multiple different hardware forms could be beneficial. Titles such as Mario Maker/2D Mario, Mario Kart, Super Smash Bros., Splatoon, etc. could benefit from just having one cross platform release. It would also be a big help to many Japanese 3rd parties if they could develop for the next portable and be able to easily upscale it to a console version.

I could see it more like an 80% shared library with some exclusives on both.

They can't bet on home console because they're not doing well and they can't bet on handhelds because it might get burned.

Yep, a lot of people forget that the dedicated handheld market is shrinking...rapidly. We sent from a generation that had over 230 million in sales (154.02m for DS, 82m for PSP) to one that only has 75 Million or so (60m for 3DS, 13m for Vita), which is even less than the Gameboy Advance generation.

And even that MASSVIE drop in sales isn't fully reflective of the modern mobile market given that smartphones have only become far more prevalent in the years since. In reality, the handheld market is in a far worse shape than the home console market; Nintendo's just fortunate they've had it mostly all to themselves all these years, but they can't depend on it forever

Ogodei

It wouldn't be 100% shared, it'd be like 80-90%, but most games would be built to handheld spec in mind and then either have unlockable assets on the console version, or extra levels or something. Nintendo's problem is going to be getting people to buy the console. Keeping the multiplayer options limited on the handheld (including in online multi) would be one way to do it.

Nintendo's problem is going to be getting people to buy the console. Keeping the multiplayer options limited on the handheld (including in online multi) would be one way to do it.
Crippling one device in the hopes of selling another will turn a lot of people off entirely. Nintendo should make the handheld the best they can for whatever price tag they're aiming for, and they should do the same for the console. Sell people on the idea of playing Nintendo games however they want, not on "well, if you want to play with your friends, you have to buy this instead".

bachikarn

The console would presumably be much more powerful; thus the games could be scaled up look significantly better on the TV.

I don't think it is as easy as you think. You can up res it or have better textures, but power is used in more ways than just visuals. The physics engine in BotW for example might not be possible on 3DS. So console games would start to get constrained by the portable's power. A significant gulf in power will mean there is not a 100% shared library unless Nintendo wants to put in extra work to create portable specific versions, which I think defeats the point.

I don't know man. Your argument needs the assumption that, were there a portable PS4/XB1 with the exact same library as its console counterpart, the CoD/FIFA/Madden/GTA crowd would suddenly decide to opt out of their big HD screen in favor of a small portable where those games won't shine as bright. That handheld gaming is somehow inherently more desirable than console gaming. Costs less to jump in? Sure, but people will happily play extra for more power (the entire premise behind Scorpio and Neo) and the benefits of it can't be overlooked.

I think the market Nintendo generally targets will prefer handheld versions. Regardless, my point is more that there will not be a significant amount of people who double dip unless the console and handheld have exclusive features or games.

I don't think it is as easy as you think. You can up res it or have better textures, but power is used in more ways than just visuals. The physics engine in BotW for example might not be possible on 3DS. So console games would start to get constrained by the portable's power. A significant gulf in power will mean there is not a 100% shared library unless Nintendo wants to put in extra work to create portable specific versions, which I think defeats the point.

But we're not talking about the 3DS; we're talking about a new generation of systems potentially designed with cross-compatibility in mind that would presumably have similar architecture. It's nothing radically new, given PC games work on gigantic scale of different platforms at varying qualities. Hell, even Nintendo's dabbled with the concept before, most recently with Hyrule Warriors 3DS.

Anyways, to clarify, even though in the portion you quoted mentioned a 100% shared library, I actually think exclusives are possible, but that it makes sense for most games to be cross compatible, if such a situation is in the cards

G.ZZZ

Luckily, the Wii U processor and the PS4 and XBone CPU are extremely bad by today's standards. An ARM A72 at 1 W consumption is about in the same ballpark of the PS4, a bit below the XBone CPU.
The problem is the GPU. But the GPU assets are easily scalable, as you said.

Hermii

Imo it makes sense that it will be very very easy to port software from portable to home console and 100% or close of portable software will be playable on both, but it makes sense if the home console has exclusives because its more powerful.

For indies it will obviously make most sense to target both, but it would be unreasonable to demand that they have to get the next assassins creed for instance to run on a portable. That would guarantee no AAA multiplatform third party support.

Hilarion

Well, the answer is, if they're one library, would Nintendo really give a shit as to whether you're playing Mario Kart 9 on the NX Handheld or the NX Console? Outside of the one-time-only hardware purchase, you'd be buying the same software for the same price. If they're going this direction, why would it matter to them if you're playing Mario Kart 9 on the Handheld or the Console?

Part of the reason of doing it that way would be to have the two systems be a built-in insurance policy for each other. Console crashes? Well, the same asset works on the Handheld system. Handheld system is struggling? The Console is there for it.

If this is the direction they're going, I highly doubt they'd be expecting many people to have both systems. The thing is, it wouldn't matter because people would be buying the same software whichever system they have.

Eliseo

Well, the answer is, if they're one library, would Nintendo really give a shit as to whether you're playing Mario Kart 9 on the NX Handheld or the NX Console? Outside of the one-time-only hardware purchase, you'd be buying the same software for the same price. If they're going this direction, why would it matter to them if you're playing Mario Kart 9 on the Handheld or the Console?

Part of the reason of doing it that way would be to have the two systems be a built-in insurance policy for each other. Console crashes? Well, the same asset works on the Handheld system. Handheld system is struggling? The Console is there for it.

If this is the direction they're going, I highly doubt they'd be expecting many people to have both systems. The thing is, it wouldn't matter because people would be buying the same software whichever system they have.

Exactly, Nintendo wants you to buy one of their hardware and all of their software. So if NX console sells 10m and NX portable 50-60m units, I think they would not care if the console sold less.

Sorcerer

I'm assuming retailers would love this shared library idea. Would free up a ton of space for them and they wouldn't suffer any loss of sales at the same time. Customers would think they are getting a better value if the software works with 2 devices even if it is simply optional.

Hermii

Exactly, Nintendo wants you to buy one of their hardware and all of their software. So if NX console sells 10m and NX portable 50-60m units, I think they would not care if the console sold less.

Nintendo obviously does what they want first party, but demanding all third parties to target the portable as a lowest common denominator would guarantee very little third party support outside of indies.

I think there will be some home console exclusives but no portable exclusives.

I'm hearing this hybrid stuff right now, and I think it would be cool if the game cartridge could be played on both the next Nintendo handheld and console.

jwhit28

I'm hearing this hybrid stuff right now, and I think it would be cool if the game cartridge could be played on both the next Nintendo handheld and console.

I would think that would be the whole purpose. Right now Nintendo has to do double the work to bring similar experiences to both platforms. 3D Land/3D World, Smash Bros, Mariokart, Mario Sports, Paper Mario, and a lot of other Nintendo games feel very similar between their console and portable versions. This could help 3rd parties too. Look at what SE has to do with DQXI, making a unique 3DS and PS4 version. Monster Hunter would benefit as well and it's a much cleaner solution than what they slapped together for MH3U.

The publishers are going to have to start dealing with "families" of hardware instead of specific pieces anyway when Microsoft and Sony break out the new consoles. Hopefully NX portable is close enough to just be another tier to deal with instead of something requiring a near complete overhaul of games to get them running on the hardware.

hongcha

65 Million or so (60m for 3DS, 4m for Vita),

4m for Vita? Where did you get that? It has sold over 13m worldwide, over 5mil in Japan alone. 60m is the worldwide number for 3DS (well, 58.85mil as of March 31, according to Nintendo), so you should use the worldwide sales for Vita.

Not

Banned
I love that awesome first question about no female board members and their pitiful dodge with "hey we have female employees!" Miyamoto: "Yeah! Some of our best employees are female!"

The earth is shaking beneath Nintendo's feet here and they have no idea what to do

Miyamoto said:
We're worried about imitators if we release info too early.

I can't believe this is their actual explanation

They're going to get imitators if and only if their platform is a success. It's not like Sony and Microsoft went "oh noes!" and fast-tracked a touch screen tablet controller the second Reggie said "Wii U" in 2012.

4m for Vita? Where did you get that? It has sold over 13m worldwide, over 5mil in Japan alone. 60m is the worldwide number for 3DS (well, 58.85mil as of March 31, according to Nintendo), so you should use the worldwide sales for Vita.

I was using the Worldwide figure for Vita, though Wikipedia cited 4 million as the most current (guess it too, like the Vita, has been negelcted). Thanks for the updated figure; even though it barely moves the needle in terms of handheld marketshare and the exact same point remains

They're going to get imitators if and only if their platform is a success. It's not like Sony and Microsoft went "oh noes!" and fast-tracked a touch screen tablet controller the second Reggie said "Wii U" in 2012.

Remember Smartglass? Also, Sixaxis was a fast-tracked response to the Wii Remote, which of course was then followed by Move and Kinect. Before that, the DualShock was a response to the N64's controller and rumblepack.

MK_768

I was using the Worldwide figure for Vita, though Wikipedia cited 4 million as the most current. Thanks for the updated figure; even still that barely moves the needle and the exact same point remains

Remember Smartglass? Also, Sixaxis was a fast-tracked response to the Wii Remote, which of course was then followed by Move and Kinect. Before that, the DualShock was a response to the N64's controller and rumblepack.

Obviously not. lol

Not

Banned

I remember it. Using a third party device (especially like, an actual iPad) hardly counts as hardware theft.

The examples you gave solidify my point. Those innovations from Nintendo were good ideas that were only copied after it was clear they were.

Cuburt

I can't believe this is their actual explanation

That's pretty much exactly what they did, and Nintendo ended up giving them a year to figure something out.

NIntendo revealed that the Wii U is in E3 2011 so Sony and Microsoft had a whole year to cobble together competing ideas that would at the very least take the wind out of Nintendo's sales.

Sony doubled down on positioning the floundering Vita to be a companion remote play device to have an alternative to Wii U's off-TV play which is also a fully functioning portable and not just a controller.

Microsoft hyped up Smart Glass being another display/touch controller like Nintendo but on devices they already have.

I don't buy that the secrecy is to protect their gimmick.

If it's an idea that's ingrained in the console's DNA, to the point that games have been developed to take full advantage of it, then competitors aren't going to be able to showcase similar titles at the drop of a hat.

If, on the other hand, it's a concept that can be copied easily, then it will be in a short space of time anyway.

Top Bottom