• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's E3 2008 Conference, how could it be improved?

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Hey GAF!

I thought quite a bit about this, and I'd like to say how I thought disaster could been averted for Nintendo's E3 2008 Conference, even without any more game announcements. If you guys have your ideas, please post them.

First, there was that video at the very beginning about people smiling. I don't think it's a bad video, and it goes very well with the values they were touting on that era. So I'd take the video, and put it at the very end of the presentation.

Secondly, Cammie. No Cammie. Instead they should have hired a professional presenter, a good actress or actor. They had the money to spare then, it would have been a blip on the radar. They could have comfortably done that.

First game, Wii Music. That happened in 2006. But I don't think Miyamoto should have been in there. Instead just get Bill Trinen and a demonstrator, and make sure to point out this is a game for beginning players, regardless of the age.

After that Shaun White's game. No problem having Shaun White on stage, but after thinking a bit, I don't think he should have been barefoot and playing the game himself. I know that sounds like a good feature to have him just play it, but not IMO. Just get 3 or 4 demonstrators, and have Shaun explain the game, moving from one demonstrator to the next, explaining the different aspects of gameplay.

Originally Iwata came out with his speech close to the beginning, but it would be better here, a little later. For his standard I felt Iwata's tone had been a little condescending. So the speech should be maybe more inclusive, less preachy? I dunno, just slightly different..

After that Reggie, talking about sales. Talking about the DS. This was a little earlier on the real thing.

Then some third party games.

Animal Crossing should be placed here I think, but it needed to be slightly shorter. In the original the details were sparse I thought, and it dragged a little bit.

Then, much like in 06, save Wii Sports for last. And have Miyamoto out, but without those single player sports they did. Something else, I haven't played Wii Sports Resort, but I'm sure there was something more competitive available?

The professional presenter then should come out again to finish, and talk a little bit about Nintendo's values. Not just in terms of smiles, but in terms of the experience, and how they differenciate. What they were trying to do to gaming, as a social tool. Something that couldn't be seen as a waste of time. I thought they missed the mark on that big time out of fear.

Tell me what you think, could anything have saved it? Without changing anything that was actually announced, just the presentation.

Top Bottom