• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo's New 3DS Ad Campaign - "I Am Not A Gamer"

cakefoo

To those suggesting Nintendo meant "I am just a gamer..."

I don't think that's what Nintendo meant. I'm pretty sure they were trying to say that you lose yourself inside the game world and become that character. You're not playing a game- you're collecting coins.

It would be akin to an ad for Contra and some guy playing it through saying "I'm not a gamer, I'm a commando!". Or imagine they did the same thing in a simulation type game, let's say Gran Turismo for sake of argument. "I'm not a gamer, I'm a professional driver".
And when you look at it like that, it becomes clear that people are merely upset because they can't relate to a non-hardcore female gamer.

Caramello

Wow at the overreaction in the OP (Not the OP himself obviously).

It's quite clear what they were going for, and many in this thread have already hit the nail on the head.

I liked the it.

Not outrage, but the ad itself is really terrible. NoA seems to think putting random celebrity X in + having them play a game is somehow appealing... it's really not. I fail to see how this is supposed to entice girls who don't already have the 3DS.

If anything, their approach to these ads comes off as obnoxious.

I agree here. NoA just doesn't get it. They seem like a lot of people that just don't even play games, unlike the Japanese side of Nintendo which is run by Iwata; a former developer himself.

Maximus.

wrongnumber.jpg

Hahaha yes! But on topic, it is a good ad campaign...

They should just leave out the "I am not"

keep the "I am this" or "I become this"

ad instantly becomes 1000% better and can't be offensive in any way

SmokyDave

I'm glad most of GAF saw sense. Read the OP and thought I was going to see some ugly comments.

I have more videogames than friends by a fucking mile. I have literally thousands of games. There's no way I could have formed thousands of meaningful friendships in just 32 years. That poster is daft.

As for this campaign, we know they aren't gamers. They'd have bought a Vita if they were ;)

Top Bottom