• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA releasing Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of Dana in English (PS4/Vita/Steam) in 2017

Does anyone know how long this game is supposed to be? I felt Celceta overstayed its welcome, and I'm getting similar impressions coming from this.
Longer game, but more varied (especially when you play Dana's sections) and you can skip story scenes by pressing Start. Some more stuff's been imported from recent Trails games (fishing and cooking this time), but crafting's been simplified from Celceta (and is still optional), jumping's back, and the challenge level's increased.

I would take everything Nightwolve says with a massive grain of salt.

http://www.ysutopia.net/

This is someone who feels like they deserve respect in the industry for their translation work on a single game (a rather small one at that), which was then bought/used by a localization company, which should be the highest amount of respect when it comes to fan translations. Instead I see someone who feels like they are gods gift and should be praised from the rooftops, when all they continue to do is plunge further and further down the rabbit hole and become even more of a laughing stock with their vitriol. I can't imagine feeling that much hatred towards someone that it consumes my life and makes it all I am known for.

bomblord1

Banned
Great, the borderline insane harasser is here. Of course he would vomit his junk here.

Dude, don't even remotely try to normalize anything this guy writes.

Still 2017. Hopefully PC information is communicated prior to release.

Thanks I seen what I assume is a placeholder date on gamestop.com (12/26/2017) and was hoping I didn't actually have to wait that long. Regarding PC are we thinking it could end up releasing at the same time?

Nyoro SF

Thanks I seen what I assume is a placeholder date on gamestop.com (12/26/2017) and was hoping I didn't actually have to wait that long. Regarding PC are thinking it could end up releasing at the same time?

I think it has become more common industry knowledge that releasing the same day and date for all platforms is very important, so I believe they're going to be aiming for that.

I know Gamestop and Amazon and other retailers use placeholder dates, so I never trust them and just wait for the official word.

Fancolors

Longer game, but more varied (especially when you play Dana's sections) and you can skip story scenes by pressing Start. Some more stuff's been imported from recent Trails games (fishing and cooking this time), but crafting's been simplified from Celceta (and is still optional), jumping's back, and the challenge level's increased.

Okay, I'm getting this once it hits Steam.

I still prefer the older Ys formula, but this has caught my attention. Does anyone know how long this game is supposed to be? I felt Celceta overstayed its welcome, and I'm getting similar impressions coming from this

And oh boy, the rambling above reminds me of the Zero translation drama. That wasn't very fun.

Most impressions I've seen for the game make it out to be 35-40ish hours minimum. Which would mean it eclipses Celceta in length, also text, because there is a lot of it.

Okay, I'm getting this once it hits Steam.
Jumping's not as much a focus as in Oath/Origin, but apparently it makes a big different for boss fights, dungeons, and some exploration. You'll also have traversal accessories like in Seven and Celceta, and also way less capacity for healing items and less ways to procure them.

NightWolve

Neo Member
(Hits mute button)

If you're not in it to get these games translated with the best quality possible, then we would rather you just went away.

That's my first suggestion, there's a perfectly good mute/ignore feature if your tolerance for anti-XSEED critics is low, and I'll always be one... I thought I was pretty restrained in that post, didn't use any profanity, which is very difficult for me to avoid when speaking of Tom, Jeff and XSEED, etc. as you might well understand.

Secondly, it's already been decided, that ship has sailed, hasn't it ? NIS America won the licensing away for Ys 8. I dunno what the quality will be, and XSEED didn't deserve a monopoly relationship perpetually, but like I said, it's not very relevant to me given the particular circumstances. I'll be able to buy and play it in good conscience, and not have to read anything from Tom as well as be reminded about my situation with his "company." It's a very small form of justice in my case having been exploited/cheated/abused by this company on the fan translation projects that preceded them...

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Jumping's not as much a focus as in Oath/Origin, but apparently it makes a big different for boss fights, dungeons, and some exploration. You'll also have traversal accessories like in Seven and Celceta, and also way less capacity for healing items and less ways to procure them.

I hope the changes work in the game's favor. I've bought all the Ys releases from Seven onwards on day one, and this game may be the last time I do that unless it wins me over again. Seven and Memories of Celceta were fun, but at level that I can easily wait for a while and get after a price drop or on sale.

It's kind of crazy that I'd almost go as far as saying I'm more interested in Trails than Ys now, but I can't really say if that's the case or not since I haven't played Cold Steel and I don't have terribly high expectations for it.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Hopefully a release date, not sure what else they could announce since we already got the dual audio and PC port announcements.

We don't have any sort of release window, do we? They may do the same thing Aksys is doing with Tokyo Xanadu and release the Vita version first. Might release it in the summer and then the PS4/PC version in the fall.

Reasonably fair to do it that way since the Vita players will miss out on a decent chunk of content, and they might catch some double dippers that way.

Thoraxes

Hopefully a release date, not sure what else they could announce since we already got the dual audio and PC port announcements.

Could just be dub actor announcements too. In fact, I think it's more likely to be that than a release date unless they're ahead of schedule.

Edit: Oh, or probably an English build demo. My brain can't read words correctly right now.

Anime Expo begins July 1st.

Psxphile

Could just be dub actor announcements too. In fact, I think it's more likely to be that than a release date unless they're ahead of schedule.

Anime Expo begins July 1st.

Oops. Yeah, I misread that. Guess they'll be teasing something about what they have planned for the Expo.
EDIT: fixed!

EDIT: just realized I haven't placed the game on preorder yet. Is NISA's online shop the only place to get the Limited Edition? Was hoping Best Buy would have it so I could save a few bucks.

Psxphile

https://twitter.com/NISAmerica/status/866703061900591104

Professional cosplayers, huh...

EDIT: oh, this too

18620225_749899218504051_5338623410746157737_n.jpg

Join the NIS America Twitch gamers for an exclusive preview of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA! We'll be discussing the history of the Ys franchise, the growth of the series as a whole, as well as show everyone exclusive gameplay as we dive into the game for the first time in North America!

Join us and be dazzled by what action RPGs are all about! You won't want to miss this! Bring in all your questions and enjoy a full-hour of Ys goodness with the Prinnies of NIS America! :D
Neat.

Yeah like most of their LEs it's a NISA store exclusive
Of course. Guess I'll just grab the standard edition. Limited comes with some nice stuff but I can't justify paying almost double for it.

Yeah my post looks kinda silly given the edit. The cosplayer stuff is who cares but I'll definitely tune into the stream

Of course. Guess I'll just grab the standard edition. Limited comes with some nice stuff but I can't justify paying almost double for it.

I feel you. I was kinda hesitant without prime discount but the package looks really good compared to others and if there's one game series I'll go all out on my wallet to support, it's Ys.

Join the NIS America Twitch gamers for an exclusive preview of Ys VIII: Lacrimosa of DANA! We'll be discussing the history of the Ys franchise, the growth of the series as a whole, as well as show everyone exclusive gameplay as we dive into the game for the first time in North America!

yeaaaaaaa. I know that they got the licence for this game, but this just seems their outright riding off the success of XSEED with that statement. That's probably just my perspective when i read it.

Asides that point, I'm looking forward to the stream and the game regardless.

So just how many editions of this game are there?

decided not to get the intial one that was unvailed on Nisas site but saw some other big box edtion that might suit ?

AniHawk

So just how many editions of this game are there?

decided not to get the intial one that was unvailed on Nisas site but saw some other big box edtion that might suit ?

what?

there's the ps4 version that comes with the soundtrack and book. there's the vita version that comes with a physical vita game in 2017. there's then the limited edition that comes with all the books and more music and other extra stuff.

Shizuka

what?

there's the ps4 version that comes with the soundtrack and book. there's the vita version that comes with a physical vita game in 2017. there's then the limited edition that comes with all the books and more music and other extra stuff.

Is that new? That's the first I'm reading about that.

Top Bottom