• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NISA's Ys VIII translation seems to be off to a rough start?

StereoVsn

It really seems like certain fans are gunning for this game to fail
Nobody wants this to fail. A lot of people are looking forward to Ys VIII. However with a few latest releases like P5 and latest couple Bamco games folks are concerned and NISA haven't had the best track record.

Hmm I guess.

I think there's a lot of really hostile fans still bitter NISA got this game being extra critical prerelease though. Even before we saw any examples of their translation

Squire

Banned
It really seems like certain fans are gunning for this game to fail

I felt like the vultures were really in flight for Persona, so in a sense I get you.

NISA doesn't have the track record Atlus does though and let's be honest, it's a contentious point that they licensed this at all and, because gamers are typically very bad at letting things go, it probably always be.

The latter is unfortunate from various angles, but there isn't much you can say for the former. Can't be concern trolling when there's legitimately been cause for concern before, you know?

So, I dunno. They better deliver. They got the game, so they better deliver. I think that's a fair expectation.

jengo

2 things I wonder:

1) How does the localization quality of 2 other companies (Atlus & Bandai Namco) influence the possible quality of this game? Has it been proven they use the same pool of freelance staff/outsourced company?

2) Has Falcom's involvement in their localizations been mentioned before? Are they considered hands-off, cooperative, strict, etc?

So, I dunno. They better deliver. They got the game, so they better deliver. I think that's a fair expectation.

I'm of the same mind. Just a little bummed to see so many of the few people that would be interested in/aware of this game so enthusiastically against the relase before it drops.

Hopefully it ends up being a home run for them and the post release word of mouth is good, because the narrative has been against them from the start pre-release.

Because NISA has a track record of sucking?

I'll be buying the game no matter what, but yeah.

I suppose. I'm only familiar with their Ar Tonelico II release. but I'm also familiar with the perfect storm of circumstances that contributed to that

StereoVsn

2 things I wonder:

1) How does the localization quality of 2 other companies (Atlus & Bandai Namco) influence the possible quality of this game? Has it been proven they use the same pool of freelance staff/outsourced company?

2) Has Falcom's involvement in their localizations been mentioned before? Are they considered hands-off, cooperative, strict, etc?

Atlus has in-house team with Atlus USA. Bamco has a very spotty localization record beside Tales. Falcom is totally hands off I believe and won't let anyone in the West touch their games until after Japanese releases, hence the very long localization times usually for stuff like the Trails series. Ys has a lot less lines though.

Because NISA has a track record of sucking?

I'll be buying the game no matter what, but yeah.

Same here. I'll buy it and probably enjoy the game just like Persona 5 despite some awkward localization here and there.

There's at least one difference though between P5 and Ys. P5 is handled by Atlus, and there's pretty much no chance it'd go to anyone else but their in-house guys. If the localization sucks for Ys though, it'd burn my ass knowing that there was at least one company out there that could, and probably would've done much better.

Cqef

I'm of the same mind. Just a little bummed to see so many of the few people that would be interested in/aware of this game so enthusiastically against the relase before it drops.

How, as a fan of the series, can you look forward to NISA messing up just to prove your point (like "haHA toLD yA!!), for a game you've been anticipating for a couple years?

There's no enthusiasm in wanting to prove that NISA will mess up. If anything, fans of the series calling out for NISA actually WANT to be proven wrong.

But how can you expect a job well done from a company with such a shaky track record? Especially when you're coming from XSeed which granted us great stuff for the series in the past.

So no. This is no enthusiasm against NISA releasing the game, just massive disappointment. People calling them out are simply desperate to raise awareness about how shaky they are so they can get their shit together at least once in their business lifetime.

Tohsaka

The PS4 version is currently only $44 on Amazon if anyone hasn't pre-ordered it yet and is planning on getting it on that platform. That's even cheaper than the Prime discount.

StereoVsn

The PS4 version is currently only $44 on Amazon if anyone hasn't pre-ordered it yet and is planning on getting it on that platform. That's even cheaper than the Prime discount.

Despite my misgivings, this is a good price and I can't help but support Falcom. Thank you for the tip.

Bladenic

It keeps dropping in price. Amazon sales need manufacturer permission no? Is it possible the game's pre-orders are that shitty that NISA is like "yes plz drop the price to almost equal to the Vita version so we can sell more!"

I'm not fully caught up on the series so if it launches like this it's an easy choice to put in the 'wait for a sale' list.

OmegaDL50

Disgaea is NIS number one mainline series, and even NISA has localization problems with it.

I am a huge fan of Disgaea, don't need to go very far into my post history to see this based on my posts in the Disgaea 5 PS4 and Switch OTs.

However even I acknowledge that NISA is very inconsistent in their localization work. A lot of problems exist even in Disgaea 5 for example a lot of the generic units lost voice lines from the previous game when set to ENG VA, and even some Evilities (Passive Skills) descriptions are blatantly false or say the exact opposite of what they actually to do, (Axel's Evility for example)

Then there is the issue with Sicily at the base having none of her dialog when you talk to her and it's actually Flonne's text lines instead (Bad enough they actually fixed this in a patch, but in more recent patch reverted this change removing the actual fix.)

These are just some small examples getting to the point that even with NIS's own flagship series, their main localization staff at NISA is inconsistent with even their own IPs, nevermind the handling of someone elses.

So while folks were disappointed with Xseed not working on Ys VIII, at least they were consistent in their work with the Ys localization work.

NISA outbid Xseed on the Ys VIII localization, so I'd hope they would have taken it with a bit more care, If they had problems with even their flagship Disgaea game for some of it's localization, I was somewhat cautious with how they would handle Ys VIII but it seems to be par for the course.

I'll pick up the game in support of Falcom, but the criticism of NISA shouldn't be ignored.

Bladenic

I'm also curious about how NISA is handling consistency. Will they drop any pretext of it and make this their own thing, or will they look at Xseed's previous localizations and keep certain things consistent?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I know this was literally ages ago but:
esty-dee-atelier-meruru-the-apprentice-of-arland-94.1.jpg

What did NISA name her in english again?

I enjoyed Ys Seven so VIII's been on my radar for abit. But with another company at the helm, can I expect the usual complete & total voice actor replacement thing? I know Seven really only had some battle grunts and voice clips but I'm kinda big on VA continuity all the same. A total recasting would be a big old checkmark against the game.

...Are they even dubbing it?

FStubbs

They recently announced upcoming releases of Sakuna: Of Rice and Ruin (2018, doujin developer, Metroidvania with farm-sim component, focuses on Japanese mythology during Sengoku era) and Falcom's own Zwei II ("Summer 2017" (originally 2008/2009 for Windows only), like if Gurumin had a fixed camera, two fighters you can switch on the fly to do physical/magic combos, even sillier humor with lots of detail put in the overall story, etc). Tom @ XSEED mentioned on their forums that most of their big projects wrapped up either last year or earlier this year, so the 2017 slate's much slimmer by comparison because they're getting to work on unannounced titles.

I hope the Trails of Blue/Zero games ...

FStubbs

I enjoyed Ys Seven so VIII's been on my radar for abit. But with another company at the helm, can I expect the usual complete & total voice actor replacement thing? I know Seven really only had some battle grunts and voice clips but I'm kinda big on VA continuity all the same. A total recasting would be a big old checkmark against the game.

Esty Dee. I forgot what her original name was too. Too bad, she's <3.

Tohsaka

They changed her name to "Esty Dee" when her name was Esty Erhard in the Japanese version, and yeah Ys 8 will be dual audio. That's one plus over NISA getting the license since it would surely be dub only if XSEED released it.

AniHawk

It keeps dropping in price. Amazon sales need manufacturer permission no? Is it possible the game's pre-orders are that shitty that NISA is like "yes plz drop the price to almost equal to the Vita version so we can sell more!"

if that was the case it would be that price everywhere.

i think amazon's robots are trying to match what's going on at walmart.com. other games are cheaper there and it seems that amazon is the same price for at least a couple of them.

that's bad, but fortunately, it's just YS, you don't play the game for it's lore or story or anything, as long as you understand where you need to go and what your skill/equipment are doing, that's fine by me!

Really glad that NISA didn't snatched the Trails of/ KISEKI games instead

Theswweet

that's bad, but fortunately, it's just YS, you don't play the game for it's lore or story or anything, as long as you understand where you need to go and what your skill/equipment are doing, that's fine by me!

Maybe previous Ys games didn't have a huge story, but Ys VIII is definitely VERY story heavy... it was surprising when I played it, really.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member

Maybe previous Ys games didn't have a huge story, but Ys VIII is definitely VERY story heavy... it was surprising when I played it, really.

So I've heard as well. In any case I'd still advocate to never downplay issues. The final vote is your wallet but it never hurts speaking up about stuff. Things do change when voices are load enough at times as we've already seen.

Given the nature of the mistakes, it seems likely that translators were given a script without actually being able to tell where said text was being applied to the game,
FYI: this is literally how nearly all console game localisation works. The first translation and editing pass is done without access to the game (usually on a spreadsheet), and then sent off to the developer. It's only when they get the game back that the localisation team gets to know what broke and what's in the wrong place. Add in the time pressures on everyone involved in getting an E3 demo ready, and frankly localisation errors in early demos should be the expectation.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
I'm also curious about how NISA is handling consistency. Will they drop any pretext of it and make this their own thing, or will they look at Xseed's previous localizations and keep certain things consistent?

They said on the steam they were going to try to maintain consistency. So we'll see I guess.

Negator

I wanted to bump this just in case nobody knew, but during the Anime Expo panel demo for Ys 8, they stated that they are aware of the strange localization choices and they will be fixing it for the final release.

Durante

FYI: this is literally how nearly all console game localisation works. The first translation and editing pass is done without access to the game (usually on a spreadsheet), and then sent off to the developer. It's only when they get the game back that the localisation team gets to know what broke and what's in the wrong place. Add in the time pressures on everyone involved in getting an E3 demo ready, and frankly localisation errors in early demos should be the expectation.
And I still have no idea why it works that way.
It shouldn't be a problem at all to give the localization company the tools to integrate and immediately test their own script changes.

It's easy.

Top Bottom