• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*NO BOOK SPOILERS* Game of Thrones - Season 2 - Sundays on HBO (read rules in OP)

Status
Not open for further replies.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
I feel like this show continues to improve. Really digging it.
The only down side is since the story is stretched out over so many characters that you only really get a solid 10-15 minutes out of every storyline per episode. This show needs to be 2 hours long a week to get full satisfaction. I still love it.

Don't need to spoil it (if that's the character he's talking about). It's Gendry, Robert Baratheon's bastard son. someone else

edit: JoeBoy cleared it up

JoeBoy101

Can someone explain how Renly gathered 100K men? I thought Stannis was considered a truly honorable man so why aren't the lords flocking to him?

As my wife so wonderfully put it, Stannis is the Newt Gingrinch of the Baratheons. Oh, he might be the most capable and the best suited on paper (from a republican standpoint anyways), but the guy has the personality of dry, cold rock and is so clearly in it for his own gain. Renly, for all his faults, is a much more charismatic leader.

And much of the time when it comes to leadership, it comes down to a popularity contest. Stannis just can't win that.

JB1981

Looks like Dany will be able to nurture the dragons in that city. Kind of weird that they were basically dying in the desert and now they're in fucking Shambala

Jrmint

Looks like Dany will be able to nurture the dragons in that city. Kind of weird that they were basically dying in the desert and now they're in fucking Shambala
Yea that city looks pretty crazy. They said it is on the coast, but its the far coast from Westeros right?

Can someone explain how Renly gathered 100K men? I thought Stannis was considered a truly honorable man so why aren't the lords flocking to him?

He agreed to marry Margery Tyrell, which automatically secured the largest family (the Tyrells) in that particular area of Westeros. And the other bannermen in the area quickly followed suit, pledging fealty to him.

Stannis basically lives on a rock island well away from the bannermen that should be his by birth right. And of course, he's a complete hard ass whereas Renly is the opposite

Monroeski

Unconfirmed Member
As my wife so wonderfully put it, Stannis is the Newt Gingrinch of the Baratheons. Oh, he might be the most capable and the best suited on paper (from a republican standpoint anyways), but the guy has the personality of dry, cold rock and is so clearly in it for his own gain. Renly, for all his faults, is a much more charismatic leader.

And much of the time when it comes to leadership, it comes down to a popularity contest. Stannis just can't win that.

Renly also holds Storm's End, which has many more pledged banners than Dragonstone. Point of contention in the book as Stannis always felt that, as the older brother, he should have gotten Storm's End instead of being given the lesser prize.

Just a quick reminder of the spoiler rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
SPOILER RULES:

- ABSOLUTELY NO BOOK SPOILERS. It doesn't matter if they're under spoiler tags, they should not be in this thread. Use the other thread for book-related television discussion. This includes alluding to things, subtle hinting, comparing the books to the show, etc...

- Regular TV thread rules apply:
  • Once something airs in the US on the East Coast, it's fair game. Feel free to discuss anything that has aired without using spoiler tags.
  • Anything that hasn't aired yet should be spoiler tagged including information from HBO previews, loglines, trailers, interviews, and a few other places.
  • Speculation from people that haven't read the books is fine and encouraged.

- For the non-book readers using this thread:
  • If you have any questions about plot points or want clarification on something, feel free to send a PM to any of the helpful volunteers (see below) and ask them.
  • If you're curious about how things unfolded differently the book, please use the other thread.

- For the book readers that want to lurk in this thread:
  • No taunting or teasing:
    e.g. "Oh, just wait until you guys see what happens to him next week!!!"
  • No leading questions:
    e.g. "What do you think will happen to this character by the end of the season?"
  • No comparing the book to the show:
    e.g. "Well, that's different than in the book where they..."
  • Answering questions is fine when the information is readily available from what has aired on the show.
    e.g. Q: "Wait, how is Robb related to Ned?" A: "Robb is Ned's son."

The bottom line is that this thread was created for people that haven't read the books to enjoy and discuss the television show. Keep their interests in mind and let them enjoy the show on their own terms without constantly pestering them. In general, there isn't a good reason for book readers to post in this thread. Thanks for your help.

Volunteers who are familiar with the books and willing to answer your questions (spoilerish and non-spoilerish) via PM:

RPGCrazied

I haven't read the books, and I have no clue what that final scene was about. Why are these like demonic shadow things?

EDIT: Nevermind.

Azrael

After Robert's Rebellion, Robert made Stannis lord of the Targaryen stronghold of Dragonstone and Renly lord of Storm's End, and with it control of the entire Stormlands went to Renly. The Baratheon host for the most part supported Renly, as he was their lord, and because Stannis has no charisma and is poor at politics. Add to that the Tyrell alliance and Renly has effectively the armies of two of the seven kingdoms supporting him. Dragonstone is relatively poor and sparsely populated and cannot support a large army. The Targaryens were only able to conquer Westeros from it because they had dragons.

Stat Flow

He gonna cry in the car
Wow. That episode was fucking crazy. As terrible as Joffrey is...his actor is fucking awesome.

Tyrion continues to by the best character on the show. But man, wtf was with that ending? CRAZY. I am definitely reading the books after this season is over. Can't wait like this.

aFIGurANT

Books? U b trolling man. Although I agree with your sentiment. I think that this show is best back to back to back but that might just be a characteristic of mine with regard to patience and managing expectations.

The dragons and that city plus the war in the north getting gnarly were the best parts of this episode though for sure in terms of payoff. Want to see this clash of kings turn violent.

demolitio

I kept hoping that they'd open the gates and it'd be a few huts and nothing else just for some hilarious irony. I obviously knew it wouldn't be that way but I wanted their huge walls to be guarding nothing...

And does having a shadow/smoke baby hurt less than having a normal baby? Is that the smoke monster from Lost being born? I don't want to see a damn gigantic polar bear coming out next...

This show's nudity cracks me up since I got my parents into this show and now I hear about it every week. The SNL skit was right on the money, lol.

I liked this episode and loved Tyrion and Lancel's scene. Shadow babies! Goddamn, Joff! I'm watching this show with a buddy of mine (he's new to the series) and now he hates him even more. I thought he was going to make the whore
stick that prickly rod in the other whore
or something. Glad he didn't, lol. Though I'm sure the beating hurt as well.

I'm a bit confused, was Joffrey getting off on the whipping stuff or was he just tormenting them for fun?

demolitio

This was one sex scene where I thought it actually made a point and wasn't just there for the hell of it so I liked this one simply to show how sick and evil Joffrey really is. It served a purpose and conveyed that message loud and clear and just made us all hate him that much more.

Tyrion is a genius and a perfect "gray area" character where he can do good and bad things but for his own reasons. He's been the best thing about this season so far because he leaves you saying "HOLY SHIT!" every time he schemes.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
you know what...i liked this show so much i said to myself maybe i wont read the books and let it all be a surprise....but now something just came out of the redhead crotch..and...im just gonna read the books.

I'm really wondering how things will shake out in terms of Joffrey and Tyrion given the latest happenings in this episode---a part of me wants him to top the first time he owned him hardcore back in season 1 but I reckon that's a bridge too far gone now...

Show continues to improve!

Sajjaja

This was one sex scene where I thought it actually made a point and wasn't just there for the hell of it so I liked this one simply to show how sick and evil Joffrey really is. It served a purpose and conveyed that message loud and clear and just made us all hate him that much more.

Tyrion is a genius and a perfect "gray area" character where he can do good and bad things but for his own reasons. He's been the best thing about this season so far because he leaves you saying "HOLY SHIT!" every time he schemes.

But man, you gotta love how Jeoffry booked Tyrion's ploy.

demolitio

But man, you gotta love how Jeoffry booked Tyrion's ploy.

Yea, he definitely messed with that plan just a bit. I refuse to love anything he does though no matter how brilliant they may be. lol

Argh this series is all over the shop...first those zombie guys who live beyond the wall, then dragons...now shadow vag monsters.

Picture it as a sort of STD in their world. It helped me grasp it a little more. People say this is light fantasy which I'd agree with but them saying that made this shadow monster come out of nowhere...lol

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
Picture it as a sort of STD in their world. It helped me grasp it a little more. People say this is light fantasy which I'd agree with but them saying that made this shadow monster come out of nowhere...lol

Why do we have to define it? Are you enjoying the show? That is the only question that matters.

I like how magic widely remains an unknown entity that very few characters have experience with, it adds much more impact when something mystic does happen. When something like that goes on, it punctuates the "holy shit" moment because it isn't something tossed around haphazardly.

Vespene

I just wanna say I really enjoy reading these reactions having already read the books. Also Larry Williams' reviews are amusingly funny when he starts to guess where things go from here.

demolitio

Why do we have to define it? Are you enjoying the show? That is the only question that matters.

Just joking around since some drew the line there. Obviously I enjoy it because I wouldn't be in here if I didn't.

I like how magic widely remains an unknown entity that very few characters have experience with, it adds much more impact when something mystic does happen. When something like that goes on, it punctuates the "holy shit" moment because it isn't something tossed around haphazardly.

Exactly. Most think it's a myth so when it does make a rare appearance in front of others, it's always a surprise. I love to see the reactions of the people who witnessed the magic. "...WTF?"

I'm confused, did Stannis send that dude off with his women so he would kill her?

No, to get her in without anyone knowing. I'm guessing to unleash hell quite literally.

aFIGurANT

For suure man. I'm actually quite sure we will see some stuff in reviews tomorrow that agree as well. This approach is much better than true blood in that less of the deus ex machina stuff is popping out along all seams and it's all really about drama leading up to some action/intrigue along the way. The end was kind of strange to watch but still cool and exciting to see next week. although the castor and whitewalker plotline got wrapped up sp finitely we may be left with nothing more than littlefinger losing a few cm of his pinky digit and that's that for renly's crew...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom