• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT| Hello Worlds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AngryMoth

I think I need to alter my play style to improve my enjoyment of the game, cos I'm getting really frustrated with my small inventory size. I've been trying to keep one stack of each element I find in case I need to craft something but I think I'd be better off selling everything except plutonium and a bit of zinc and just going out to find the stuff I need when I want to craft something

@everyone

Thanks guys, but I'm talking more like
the upgrades you do to your suit
, there's nothing similar for the multi-tool? Just buying new ones?

I found an NPC that stole my tool but then he gave it back to me all pimped out with extra slots.

I think I got lucky since that was the 2nd planet I went to.

Something like this.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
First impressions are that it's a pretty ugly game on the PS4 so far... my starting planet has a bad color scheme.. but not really just that.. but just poor textures and shit just not fitting together. Still, I'm having fun... but yeah not what I first wanted out of it.. but then again I let that hype die a long time ago.

Still.. glad to finally play it.

kevin1025

Banned
For those that are a little deeper in:

Does the black hole put you fairly close to the center, or is it just a shorter way there?

I just got a cool ass multi-tool, I hit my first Atlas location, and things are finally starting to progress at a fairly nice clip about 10 hours in!

Plus I saw an insane space battle that escalated to the point I was way too much in the middle, with more and more warping in to fight, and had to punch out of there.

Do animals just stand around? They all have the same attack I assume?

Anyone find worlds with elaborate mazelike tunnels? Underwater caves? Caves in general? High mountains? Thick forests?

Here's that thing I talked about:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xxIK-k5U_s

Anyone else seen something like this?

I got inside.

But I did something really stupid.

Video to follow.

I got inside the giant pillar.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ehgB9XH0lnM

I hit the beacon and it zoomed out, you can see the outline of similar structures when that happens, they look like ruins to me but I'm guessing in reality it's just spitting out strange terrain.

Anyway, I'm stuck inside the giant pillar now.

Time to call it a night. I'll dig in properly when I can get a full run at it.

I'm both shocked at how blatant the UI was lifted from Destiny, and frustrated/amused at how poor it is as being easily readable. Like a student copied a master and got the form but not the grace or purpose down. Key information is buried rather than accessible.

At any rate, my younger daughter got her ship into space. And then we spent 20 minutes together trying to figure out what to do. We need to craft a hyperdrive, but then we couldn't find any tool tips or menu to tell us how. We were being told there was in incoming transmission, but nothing told us how to access it. Icons out in space seemed to tell us to go to them, but at max speed it would take 20 minutes. We can't jump to other planets because no hyperdrive.

We studied the controls in the help menu, tried every button, and sifted through the myriad menus for a while and then gave up and powered off. We're not even sure when the game last saved.

My overwhelming impression of the game is one of frustration, right now. It's a deeply unpleasant UI and both my kids and I found it needlessly confusing and unhelpful.

At any rate, I played for a bit myself. I angered a sentinel by shooting a small rock for iron, and then discovered how awful the aiming mechanics are when I had to defend myself. Good lord.

Right now I don't want to spend any more time with it. My younger daughter ended her play session confused and frustrated at not knowing what to do once in her ship. We're both pretty bummed after our first play session.

I can see myself coaching her through if she wants to keep playing, and not playing it much myself, for a while. If anything turns me off from a game like lightning, it's bad UI.

Off topic,but If u want a fun game to play with your kids, you simply must play overcooked.

pots555

How long do you guys stay on a planet? I'm on my second one and I have been discovering stuff for the last 3 hours and their is still a lot to find.

mokeyjoe

Unlocked at midnight and played two hours straight.

Just fantastic. I don't think I've played another game quite like it.

One thing - how did anyone ever think this was 60fps? I'm absolutely not an fps snob, I'm fine with 30, especially in a slow paced game like this, but come on people :p

Clockwork5

Anyone find worlds with elaborate mazelike tunnels? Underwater caves? Caves in general? High mountains? Thick forests?
Yes I have found all of those except for underwater caves, since you don't last very long underwater until you start upgrading.

Animals all have movement animations and most will run away from you, though some will run at you.

kevin1025

Banned

I've come across two planets with underwater outposts (I'm guessing when it randomized it ended up underwater... or, fiction-wise, they flooded!), and there's been a couple of caves where you have to go through an underwater section to continue through them.

Smokey

there is no hope for me

edit:

just as i was about to let my life support drain, i see LIGHT JFC

13988011_1804171323149690_6486053669822238975_o.jpg

THANK YOU LORD

Way to freak me out game. Just found that grave that never showed up before in a system I've never been to in the middle of nowhere, far out from all the planets.

Unlocked at midnight and played two hours straight.

Just fantastic. I don't think I've played another game quite like it.

One thing - how did anyone ever think this was 60fps? I'm absolutely not an fps snob, I'm fine with 30, especially in a slow paced game like this, but come on people :p

It really is hilarious. They must have literally never played a 60fps title in their life

halfbeast

Banned

yes, yes, yes, yes and yes!

@everyone

Thanks guys, but I'm talking more like
the upgrades you do to your suit
, there's nothing similar for the multi-tool? Just buying new ones?

extra slots or enhancements? the latter I got from talking to aliens. have a stamina-upgrade on mine.

Yes I have found all of those except for underwater caves, since you don't last very long underwater until you start upgrading.

Animals all have movement animations and most will run away from you, though some will run at you.

Interesting. Thanks.

I really wish this game had super rare things to find that had no relation to the story. Like, finding something so rare and obscure and having a giant mystery behind its origin and use. I was hoping for some easter eggs like that.

I am curious what they will consider post -launch

kobu

As much as I'm loving the game I have to admit that the aiming is terrible. The space combat is nothing but frustration.

mokeyjoe

I think I need to alter my play style to improve my enjoyment of the game, cos I'm getting really frustrated with my small inventory size. I've been trying to keep one stack of each element I find in case I need to craft something but I think I'd be better off selling everything except plutonium and a bit of zinc and just going out to find the stuff I need when I want to craft something

I'm still at the beginning of the game but I'm not having a problem. I only ever mine stuff I need and sell any object I find straight away. Plus I found exosuit upgrades on my second planet in quick succession.

Stick with stuff you need. At least early on.

elohel

This is kind of how I'm feeling too. Don't get me wrong, the game's awesome, but I'm already getting worn out. I want to keep moving to get to the center, but also want to explore the planets I find, but I also feel like there's no point to it because once I've found a few things I've found basically everything. I feel like I'm not making any progress, I'm just going to different star systems and doing the same things.

When I was hitting very clear incremens in the narrative every few warps I was really digging it, but that seems to have just stopped.

One day?

So I've been playing for a few hours. I did what I said I would and started with out the update first. I only played an hour or so on that save. Started over with the patch and I'm loving it. probably 4 hours in and I've only discovered 2 planets in my system. My first planet was full of gold, which is selling very well.

My second planet was a Jungle Moon. Going back for more pictures soon. Neither of these planets have been dangerous, so I want to get on a trying world. All I need is antimatter now.

Overall:

I'm so more than pleased. This is exactly what I was looking for in a game. I'm lucky to not have had a lock up yet. I can see me playing this for a while.

Found out that it's not to bad watching someone else play when you can have in put. Got my niece mining gold for me. All I had to do was name a planet for her :D

valeu

well, i'm slowly figuring things out. i died after the first 20 minutes when i got lost and i didn't understand how the systems worked or how to get back to my ship. then i started figuring out how to recharge things. to accomplish the goals and to scan for things. my first planet had toxic rain, tentacle plant monsters and lots of cool caves. i fixed my ship and am presently chilling on a space base where i got a new onmi tool and better ship. this game is super cool. it reminds me of just the planet exploring part of mass effect but with a ton to do and a million times better

halfbeast

Banned
As much as I'm loving the game I have to admit that the aiming is terrible. The space combat is nothing but frustration.

mine has some kind of auto-aim, it was super easy. I wonder if it's upgrade-related (came with the ship I bought).

Extra slots.

there are pods scattered throughout the planets. they don't have a specific icon (just the normal question mark), you can upgrade your suit there.

1upsuper

My copy arrived about two hours ago and I just left my first planet. Holy shit. Holy shit. I went in almost completely blind. Watched the first trailer, saw some screenshots, and decided to buy it on a whim. After a very rocky start not knowing what to do (and almost immediately spelling my own doom by accidentally summoning some progressively more awful machines including one that looked like an AT-AT. Barely took them out while learning the controls in the process), I ended up getting a foothold and figured out how to slowly progress. It was an awesome experience wandering this giant landscape scraping together some materials to both survive and repair my ship. I was definitely getting some Pikmin vibes for sure. Then, getting into space and seeing objects with ETAs of hours and days gave me goosebumps. This game is nuts. I basically never play open world games (more of an RPG, platformer, SHMUP kinda guy) so how I ended up playing the openest world game is kind of strange, but I think I'm going to have a good time.

there is no hope for me

edit:

just as i was about to let my life support drain, i see LIGHT JFC

THANK YOU LORD

Whats this? You were lost under a cave?

Btw guys, I know u find a periodic table of elements, but can u make stuff with them or what? Do u guys think they will be made into resources for "base building" dlc?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At any rate, my younger daughter got her ship into space. And then we spent 20 minutes together trying to figure out what to do. We need to craft a hyperdrive, but then we couldn't find any tool tips or menu to tell us how. We were being told there was in incoming transmission, but nothing told us how to access it. Icons out in space seemed to tell us to go to them, but at max speed it would take 20 minutes. We can't jump to other planets because no hyperdrive.
From your description sounds like you may have missed pulse jumping, L1+R1?

Wallach

So as it turns out you can get the recipe for suspension fluid. I found a recipe for that and shield plate things on a particularly dangerous incursion

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Damn i've left my starting planet already . hopefully i'll find more on other crash sites or something

Thank for the answer
I can't imagine they're limited to the starting planet, I simply haven't moved on yet, so I can't confirm.

Karak

During the stream I had a 2 hour battle on a single planet that refused to give up almost any resources. I almost died countless times and found a single plutonium crystal to leave with less than 5% of the my health.
Named the planet Boss Battle. Had to. Not sure anything will equal that.

DirtyLarry

Very simple question which will determine if I keep it or trade it in. Is mining as miserable of an experience the entire game as it is the first hour?

Full disclosure, I do not play mining games. Just not my cup of tea. I knew there would be some in the game, and figured I could get past it because of the premise of intergalactic exploration.
As of right now, I am not sure I can get past it.
i am in space, hit up a planet and now a space station, so that aspect is cool, but if I need to constantly me mining on the planets to continue exploring, I think I have to accept the fact that a genre I historically do not play is not going to change just because it is by the guys that made Joe Danger (one of my favorite Arcade titles ever).

Smokey

Whats this? You were lost under a cave?

Btw guys, I know u find a periodic table of elements, but can u make stuff with them or what? Do u guys think they will be made into resources for "base building" dlc?

Yes. It was a hugeeeeeeeeee underground cave. I was about to just let my life protection run out lol

So I've played for a few hours and the game is good, however I can't help but feel I'm working towards nothing?

You build your stuff up and up and find more resources but what are you supposed to be working towards? Right now I'm on the Atlas journey and it just seems that each time I warp to a new system I am focused on getting those warp drives to continue onward. Just seems repetitive.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Giant cave networks, beware. I know there is a huuuge ass creature deep within one on my current planet but am too chickenshit to wander off too deep and get lost. I hear the thing making weird ass sounds from miles away surrounding these caves. It's eerie as hell but amazing lol.

Dear lawd, this game is just too much. I want infinite inventory though lol.

Ourobolus

Banned
So I've played for a few hours and the game is good, however I can't help but feel I'm working towards nothing?

You build your stuff up and up and find more resources but what are you supposed to be working towards? Right now I'm on the Atlas journey and it just seems that each time I warp to a new system I am focused on getting those warp drives to continue onward. Just seems repetitive.
It's definitely a carrot-on-a-stick philosophy. I mean, I'm really enjoying the exploring, but I know I'm pretty much just working my way towards a giant exosuit, and spacecraft that can hold a ton, and then the best upgrades I can find for both of those and the multi tool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So as it turns out you can get the recipe for suspension fluid. I found a recipe for that and shield plate things on a particularly dangerous incursion
No kidding. Nice. What does it cost to craft?

Trying to start to track what elements I'll need to keep in stock as a space pirate.

G-Bus

Banned
From your description sounds like you may have missed pulse jumping, L1+R1?

Did this when I first got into space. Took me 10 minutes to get to the next planet. Finished up there and wanted to check out another. Same thing, 10 minutes away. I was seriously considering giving up on the game because I'm not spending Tha much time flying through space.

Thankfully my buddy pointed out the pulse engine thing.... Yea. .. Felt like an idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom