• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

You can only hire scientists in Korvax systems. I had to warp around 10 times before i could find one, seems like Vy'keen rule the part of the galaxy where i settled.

I don't think that's true...there was a Korvax scientist in the Gek system and after I started building my base he left. I just warped into a Korvax system (worth noting the name of the faction area that's below the system name in the star map...that will let you know it's a different race) and there's a Gek builder here for hire, along with some Korvax people.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Photo mode
Music off

Everyone should at least try that once in a while
LIGHTS, ACTION!
g9H2b07.png

Buddha
XMkAXaH.png

HUNGRY MOUNTAIN
BA4PLGe.png

THREE WISE MEN
Dl88LDg.png

Interesting, so after I "hired" (in a game with so many recharge meters, it's strange that these people don't require salaries for their work) the Korvax scientist I went back to my base, and I now see that I can teleport to the stations in both systems. I had no idea you could use this as a fast travel system. How many systems will it remember?

There's one bug with that though, the teleporter doesn't show the names you give to systems, only the original proc gen names, so it's a bit confusing.

Tankshell

Probably a silly question, but the patch notes mention a Photo mode in the PS4 section, but not in the PC section? What does the photo mode actually do in the PS4 version?

somme

Anyone know of you can build landing pads to attract NPC traders?

How about a store eye droid? Marketplace access at your base?

Anyway to keep from having to run to the station to sell goods?

You build landing pads by following the base-building quest line. With the Gek I believe. I'm not sure what you mean by "store-eye droid" but yes you can eventually build a marketplace at your base.

It's pretty cool really. If you choose a good home planet and build up a good base there you never have to leave. I don't know why you'd want to do that but it's cool you can have it as an option.

KaidoRacer7

I think I'm screwed... Started the Voltaic Cell quest, got the blueprint and made one. My Gek engineer doesn't accept it (the option stay grayed)

I think I'm screwed... Started the Voltaic Cell quest, got the blueprint and made one. My Gek engineer doesn't accept it (the option stay grayed)

Do you have it in your suit inventory?

Probably a silly question, but the patch notes mention a Photo mode in the PS4 section, but not in the PC section? What does the photo mode actually do in the PS4 version?

It removes all HUD elements. You need to activate it in the options menu, you can't do it on the fly.

SomTervo

Graphical and stylistic improvements are great.

Streamlining is great.

Survival seems very good but likely to get super stale, super fast.

Not that into base-building, but might try it when I get near the center on my Normal save.

The Freighter stuff looks amazing, especially that the Freighter encounters are better, e.g. you get invited on board if you help them fend off pirate attacks. So cool. That's a massive step.

I still won't be really excited until there are faction v faction battles/attunement, though.

I think I've completely fucked myself over by salvaging a ship for an extra slot without having the resources to build a warp drive

Does anyone know the easiest way to find copper after the update? Are asteroids still a good bet?

This sucks I wish I never did it :(

SomTervo

I really want desolate starsystems. No aliens or sentinals, just flora and fauna. The sense of really being alone still isn't in the game.

Check out moons whenever you find them. Moons are v likely to be totally desolate. It's really cool. Often there's just some grim-looking flora around. No animals, no (or super rare) sentinels, no (or super rare) sentient aliens.

Check out moons whenever you find them. Moons are v likely to be totally desolate. It's really cool. Often there's just some grim-looking flora around. No animals, no (or super rare) sentinels, no (or super rare) sentient aliens.

Strangely enough the system I'm in has fairly bland planets but lush moons. Must be opposite day.

McBradders

NeoGAF: my new HOME
Started a fresh save and enjoyed what few changes affected that part of the game. Things definitely look better... really hope they fix the awkward FOV in the future, it makes interior noodling rather cumbersome. Regardless, I've booted it up twice to waste a few minutes and ended up staying hours... they're definitely onto something good here.

Going to have to go back and restart again as I keep missing picking up an Atlas Pass on the first planet. I'm a right wally, me.

Future patches are only going to make this all the better. What a belter!

It's silly but I love how on dead planets there's no music playing

I'm long past that due to how long I've played the game.

Now NMS is my non-stop recommended-spotify-playlist music visualizer and me boosting along dubstep etc. over canyons or blasting pirates away.

But actually I'm not sure if I like that change. Wouldn't fitting music actually enhance that situation more so than on any other planet type?

Seiniyta

Small patch incoming
Hey Everyone,

First of all thanks so much to everyone who’s spent time playing the game and letting us know about any issues you’ve experienced.

We have a small patch coming soon which will include fixes to some of the issues we’ve seen reported. This won’t fix everything, so if you continue to experience issues after downloading this update, please do continue to report issues to our dedicated bug form[hellogames.zendesk.com].

Without further ado, here are the fixes/changes:

- Following reports of some people experiencing issues with the game while unsupported mods are installed, we’ve added mod detection which will show a warning screen on loading when mods are detected. A click or button press will dismiss this screen.

- Allowed remapping of the build menu and quick menu commands to support Azerty keyboards.

- Fixed an issue which, in some rare cases, prevented NPCs from giving you mission critical dialogue.

- Fixed a bug which could cause core items to be transferred from exosuit inventory to starship inventory. Note: this is a preventative fix and won’t fix the issue for those who have already experienced this bug. We have a cure for those who have experienced on the way, it’ll be released in our next patch.

- Following player feedback, we have clarified messaging when being given tech that you already know.

- Fixed a number of rare crashes (if you continue to experience crashes, please send a crash report and include your crash dumps).

- Fix for monitor detection on PCs with 3rd party remote desktop or screen sharing applications.

- Running the game via the .exe file should no longer give Steam Init errors.

We’ll be putting the patch out on the experimental branch now. When we’re comfortable that these fixes are stable on Experimental we will push the update to the live game.

Thanks!
Hohbes

http://steamcommunity.com/app/275850/discussions/0/154642447914068500/

I've spent the last couple of days searching for a good planet to start my base and finally settled for an extreme cold planet. It's a beautiful place, with large deposits of precious metals and very long and deep canyons. Really like the feel of it.
A small tour:

https://youtu.be/6_BLahJiSFk

This almost makes me want to boot up my copy again...almost.

Too bad everything suddenly became the red-headed stepchild once FF XV came out.

Effect

Haven't tried it yet but does the game control better with a controller compared to keyboard and mouse? Especially with flying either on planet or in space?

When I'm on the ground keyboard and mouse is just fine. Went I get into the air things just become frustrating. I guess I could plug in a controller and swap between them. Though I'd rather just use one control method. Is a controller better in general or better to use a combination?

How do you play the PC version?

Unicorn

Haven't tried it yet but does the game control better with a controller compared to keyboard and mouse? Especially with flying either on planet or in space?

When I'm on the ground keyboard and mouse is just fine. Went I get into the air things just become frustrating. I guess I could plug in a controller and swap between them. Though I'd rather just use one control method. Is a controller better in general or better to use a combination?

I use an xbone controller. Game was designed with a controller in mind.

I use a wired DS4 and it's fine, i haven't felt the need to use the KB/M apart from when i'm naming stuff. I had the DS4 connected when i launched the game and picked it up to try it and didn't bother using anything else.

c0Zm1c

I think flying the ship is better with a controller. For on foot, it depends on your preference. I haven't spent a lot of time 'playing' the PC version (most of my time has been spent tweaking settings trying to get it to run well - I mostly play on PS4) but I got into the habit of just using the keyboard and mouse for flying the ship because that's my preference and I didn't like swapping every time I got in or out of the ship.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
It's silly but I love how on dead planets there's no music playing

Try playing in photo mode with the music turned off. It takes a while to get used to manually checking in to see how your health is doing but you soon get used to it. The music is great but there's so much background atmospheric music or sound effects that gets buried by it.

Just give it a spin to see what you think.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...mans-sky-steam-page-did-not-mislead-consumers

The Advertising Standards Authority has ruled No Man's Sky's controversial Steam page did not mislead consumers.

Its decision means screenshots, videos and text currently on the No Man's Sky Steam store page may remain. While the ASA's investigation looked at Steam specifically, its ruling applies to the PlayStation Store, too.

The ASA had received 23 complaints about No Man's Sky's Steam store page, with most accusing the assets of painting a misleading picture of Hello Games' space title.

Complaints centred around screenshots and videos that depicted advanced animal behaviour, large-scale combat and ship-flying behaviour believed not to have ended up in the launch version of the game.

Complainants also said screenshots misrepresented the graphical quality of the game, and insisted a reference to a lack of loading screens and factions that contest territory was misleading.

The ASA contacted both Valve and Hello Games as part of its investigation, but because Valve doesn't handle the individual store pages for games sold on its platform, the buck passed to Hello Games. And based on emails sent to Eurogamer this month, it's clear the Guildford developer put a lot of effort into defending itself. It provided footage of the game and detailed responses to each allegation, stressing at every turn it did not mislead consumers.

The ASA's ruling is based upon Hello Games' assertion that No Man's Sky is a procedurally generated game, and so the player experience varies from playthrough to playthrough.

I'd say that the latest update erases almost all of those complaints entirely.

Effect

I use an xbone controller. Game was designed with a controller in mind.

I use a wired DS4 and it's fine, i haven't felt the need to use the KB/M apart from when i'm naming stuff. I had the DS4 connected when i launched the game and picked it up to try it and didn't bother using anything else.

I think flying the ship is better with a controller. For on foot, it depends on your preference. I haven't spent a lot of time 'playing' the PC version (most of my time has been spent tweaking settings trying to get it to run well - I mostly play on PS4) but I got into the habit of just using the keyboard and mouse for flying the ship because that's my preference and I didn't like swapping every time I got in or out of the ship.

Thanks. I'm going to give the controller a try tonight. I have a Xbox 360 controller so I'll plug that up and see how it feels.

somme

And I am seriously impressed by the new lighting and land formations. I've never seen a planet this RED before. At points, you couldn't see anything outside of slightly darker/lighter red outlines in the distance. So cool.

Whoa, in over 200 hours of play I've never seen a planet like that. This new patch has been great. :D

belvedere

Junior Butler
For shits I decided to try and play NMS via remote play at work and was blown away at how playable it was over WAN.

I do believe I have a lunch date with base building tomorrow, fellas.

But really they do need to overhaul the cave/underground generation at some point. First of all, make it so all caves aren't always lit up, and have some sort of craft-able light source. (I'm not sure if there are dark caves but I can only recall photos of lit caves) Make them go wayyy deeper, with maybe even some kind of "core". More valuable stuff could be found down there, different creatures would be found down there, and yeah. #icyflamez2016

I'm sure the controller helps vs mouse+keyboard for space flight, but it never feels great. Part of this on the PS4 may be the horrid FOV that makes me feel boxed in (Sean, my kingdom for a FOV slider!), but I just don't think they've nailed the feel of the flight model yet.

One thing I suggested to Hello is to move the thruster boost from the Circle button to R2 trigger, and engage it when a user presses down fully. That way you have a single UI for thrust, leaving a finger free to worry about weapons and steering. I also think a more readable radar screen would help, and/or a rear-view display. Dogfights don't feel very visceral, it's always wide turns and then playing chicken with each other. They should go back and look at X-Wing and Wing Commander and study those mechanics.

But really they do need to overhaul the cave/underground generation at some point. First of all, make it so all caves aren't always lit up, and have some sort of craft-able light source. (I'm not sure if there are dark caves but I can only recall photos of lit caves) Make them go wayyy deeper, with maybe even some kind of "core". More valuable stuff could be found down there, different creatures would be found down there, and yeah. #icyflamez2016

What, the flashlight/torch isn't good enough for you? :) Actually I'd like night time to be dark as well, instead of the nebula color always bleeding through the sky. I want certain planets to be so dark that I have to walk around with a flashlight to find my way and risk being pounced by unseen predators. And I just want to be able to look up at a star-filled sky on a peaceful planet, and have that night last for hours or days.

somme

Actually I'd like night time to be dark as well, instead of the nebula color always bleeding through the sky. I want certain planets to be so dark that I have to walk around with a flashlight to find my way and risk being pounced by unseen predators. And I just want to be able to look up at a star-filled sky on a peaceful planet, and have that night last for hours or days.

I've been on a couple of black-night sky planets. Only a few in hundreds and hundreds of worlds though.

There should be more. Didn't Sean want more but the art director disagreed?

What, the flashlight/torch isn't good enough for you? :) Actually I'd like night time to be dark as well, instead of the nebula color always bleeding through the sky. I want certain planets to be so dark that I have to walk around with a flashlight to find my way and risk being pounced by unseen predators. And I just want to be able to look up at a star-filled sky on a peaceful planet, and have that night last for hours or days.

I wasn't sure if there was already a light item. Didn't they say something about how they were planning on improving the cloud generation when the game came out? I recall that being stated alongside the comment about how AA was coming. I hope they keep improving the visuals in various ways as they continue to update.

Shaneus

For shits I decided to try and play NMS via remote play at work and was blown away at how playable it was over WAN.

I do believe I have a lunch date with base building tomorrow, fellas.
Oh holy shit, that's a great idea. It's only Windows 10 though, yeah?

I've been on a couple of black-night sky planets. Only a few in hundreds and hundreds of worlds though.

There should be more. Didn't Sean want more but the art director disagreed?

You're lucky! I've been to maybe 100 planets at this point and never seen anything close to a black sky. At the most, a dimly-colored sky with a few stars shining through. I want to look up and just be overwhelmed with stars.

But yeah, Grant disagreed. He's also the one that argued with Sean over putting the planets closer together. As much as I respect his art direction on NMS – because it's truly beautiful – he's also convinced Sean of choices I'm not fond of.

WeTeHa

Already posted in the foundation thread, but here goes nothing

So... I have kind of a strange bug... I used to be able to build very tiny pillars in the infrastructure section, that were just as high as the other walls and so on. But when I just tried to continue building my base I couldn't build those tiny pillars any more.

Anybody know what's going on and how I can fix it? I need the pillars :/

Pictures:
Also, how do I submit bug reports? :(

Inviusx

They have gone overboard with the "Generous" fauna setting. I'm on a planet now where some parts have 20+ creatures on screen at once and the game is running at about 10FPS. This is on PS4.

TyrantII

You build landing pads by following the base-building quest line. With the Gek I believe. I'm not sure what you mean by "store-eye droid" but yes you can eventually build a marketplace at your base.

It's pretty cool really. If you choose a good home planet and build up a good base there you never have to leave. I don't know why you'd want to do that but it's cool you can have it as an option.

Very cool, I was worried I'd have to run back and forth from the station to sell good (lotsa loading). Store Droid = the floating eyeball bot that buys/sells good if you find a random one placed on a world, or find a spaceport and find one near the seats.

somme

Very cool, I was worried I'd have to run back and forth from the station to sell good (lotsa loading). Store Droid = the floating eyeball bot that buys/sells good if you find a random one placed on a world, or find a spaceport and find one near the seats.

Ah I see. Well you can build those but they don't let you buy/sell. You can leave them on planets along with messages for others to find. Though I imagine we may be waiting many months or years until someone comes across another players.

The marketplace you buy for your base goes in the wall.

Damn you, game! I've had a strict policy of not killing non-aggressive wildlife I've held on to the whole way, so of course a weirdo element only drops for corpses comes along. I ran into herds of stuff, eyes closed, flailing around with my boltcaster firing. It has enough homing and ricochet I figured it'd do the work while I pretended it wasn't happening. Poor little floating rhinos. Sorry guys. It was for science!

Also, rigogen is the devil. I have stocks of all the other new elements just from all the places I've landed trying to find rigogen.

Man the hunt for rare materials to get the upgrades i want is harsh. i think i've found everything EXCEPT the material i want.

Heck i've even found rigogen

Top Bottom