• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

So I just deleted a bunch of cuboid rooms from my base and it seems that if you don't delete the windows first they will get deleted when you delete the room but you don't get the resources back for them. Woops!

Oh and thanks for the run down on your naming scheme eyeball. Bit more exciting than simply a number hehe. Not quite sure what to do, I guess just keep going with it. Maybe I could give planets a number like I do now but keep it's original name as well? You can still see the original name greyed out in the text input section of the rename screen but as soon as you start writing something it disappears. Bit more difficult and time consuming but I think that could work. I'll just need to write it down first.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Perfect home off the lake and finally found an ideal freighter:
Silly question, but how do you guys connect the floors from the inside? I haven't built a second floor yet, but among my current structures I don't see "stairs" only a ladder lol.

somme

They clearly have. I'm not entirely certain why you think they haven't. If there's a good planet then it ALWAYS has an element to make it 'harder' and I find that annoying. It's not that I don't like the struggle, it's that the struggle should have rewards, and in a game based around travelling the universe it's obvious the reward should be a paradise planet.

I shouldn't be deliberately looking for a cold/toxic/poisonous/radioactive planet JUST because it means that planet is less likely to have aggressive sentinels, and I shouldn't be avoiding beautiful planets because I know I'm not going to be able to stroll around and enjoy what the algorithm has birthed for me.

I was enjoying Survival mode a lot but now I'm loading up Normal mode because I want to enjoy a nice planet occasionally. To me that shows it's unbalanced.

I've barely come across any frenzied Sentinels recently and have been on some deliciously lush planets so I think you've probably been really unlucky.

c0Zm1c

Silly question, but how do you guys connect the floors from the inside? I haven't built a second floor yet, but among my current structures I don't see "stairs" only a ladder lol.

It's only possible with a ladder as far as I can see (currently), unless you leave a hole in the floor to jetpack through haha.

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's only possible with a ladder as far as I can see (currently), unless you leave a hole in the floor to jetpack through haha.

I can't seem to place a ladder anywhere but the circle rooms. It won't let me place them in the larger cuboid rooms I've made.

I bit the bullet and went for the cash crop. My Mordite farm is now 62 plants deep, and I'd put in more but my base has some weird issue where the ground clips through the floor and prevents building in random spots. I can harvest enough Mordite to produce roughly 39 lubricant every 6 minutes, and I have a trade terminal in my farm room, so I'm turning out around 15 million credits every hour. I've upgraded my freighter once and I'm sitting on $40 million at the moment, so I'll probably start jumping systems towards the center here again before too long. I'm ready to move my base to a new planet but I don't want to lose the materials I've invested in it already, which is kind of an annoying catch-22. Next time I build a big warehouse for farming, I'm putting it on struts with access from the second floor so I don't have to deal with this stupid ground clipping nonsense.

Do you guys still bother to rename systems and planets, and if so how do you choose a name for your systems and planets?

Nah, named one system and then found out the teleporter only shows the original name so way too much work figuring out what the system is actually called.

Once they fix that I'll start naming new systems again.

---

How do you guys find rigogen exactly? I've been searching underwater on several planets but can't find it.

Does it appear in a local scan? Wiki says it isn't identified on planet scans

Really curtailing my base building right now

Best guess is its only Oceans not any body of water. Only 1 planet I've found so far had oceans and I can't remember where it was. Journey log doesn't help much

Oppo

rigogen is a pain in the ass

need oceanic planets with high flora and it does not show on scan

looks like it has glowing balls hanging off it

Danlord

There's a dune buggy coming?

Yeah, someone data-mined the PC files and found models related to a Hybrid ATV vehicle, with the descriptions and even resource requirements for it. An image with ATV rotating but no actual 3D model of it yet and it appears it will have boosters, jetpacks and a gun.

Exciting times!

Also, I'll spoiler incase anyone doesn't want to know about something else found in the files

.............................References to another race, referred to as the Diplomats..........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

belvedere

Junior Butler
It's a pleasant 22 C here at Hamster Maze Hawaii.

Cq9g48K.jpg

I bit the bullet and went for the cash crop. My Mordite farm is now 62 plants deep, and I'd put in more but my base has some weird issue where the ground clips through the floor and prevents building in random spots. I can harvest enough Mordite to produce roughly 39 lubricant every 6 minutes, and I have a trade terminal in my farm room, so I'm turning out around 15 million credits every hour. I've upgraded my freighter once and I'm sitting on $40 million at the moment, so I'll probably start jumping systems towards the center here again before too long.

15m credits/hour?? That's insane. Surely this is an oversight by Hello, I don't think any other money scheme comes close to that.

So... What could we make of the fact that they're hiring a writer?
Are we going to see a more fleshed out, rpg like story with unique characters?

The description made it sound like they'd be working on both narrative stuff and whatever text in the game needs written, like quests or NPC interactions. But it's a decent bet that they have some new narrative content coming, whether that's a new narrative arc, new alien races, maybe a faction war, etc.

Tigress

As long as they stay over there we'll be fine. haha

Yeah one of the benefits of the update is that now we have a thread talking about NMS that is people talking about playing it (and constructive criticism on what needs to be improved from people who want to play it and not just want vengeance or even just wanted the game to fail).

Mindlog

I bit the bullet and went for the cash crop. My Mordite farm is now 62 plants deep
PC? Is that basically just a warehouse with trays?

I massively scaled back my farming plans. I'm keeping 16 mordite, 10 glass plants, and 2 of everything else except the old 'precious items' or whatever. Those are at 1 each. My current base is at 100%+ complexity. I can't even deconstruct a hall and rebuild it as a glass hallway~
Base from above and behind.
Last quick peak in hydroponics.

I've been debating starting a new base completely dedicated to hydroponics with no decorations then I found the number of credits it would take to get a max freighter.

1.1 billion.

Doesn't sound like something I want to do even with lubricant manufacturing. Will probably just get my credits back up to the level they were before this first update and wait to see what the next one brings. I've had a lot of fun.

New Experimental branch changes today on PC:
Fixed the bug that would make the player character small

Fixed the instantaneous death loop that could occur in survival mode if you saved with 1 health and no hazard protection. You will still be on the verge of death when you load in, but it won't happen instantaneously.

Fix for steam controller not being able to warp

Fixed some rare crashes

Removed up, down, left, right as quick menu navigation keys to allow left handed players to move while using the quick menu.

Page Up and Page down can now be used to navigate up and down in the quick menu.

Removed duplicated planets from discoveries menu

Space battles will now vary in size more and players should see bigger battles

Fixed an issue with redeeming promo ships in survival, which would result in the ship being spawned above the ground.

Fix for missing ruins underwater which could cause missions to point to nothing.

Unicorn

Started a survival playthrough today and landed on another planet just now. I had to watch my meters more, but wasn't that drastically different. Honestly felt more annoying than challenging. I'll wait until there's more use of elements and crafting tech before trying again.

15m credits/hour?? That's insane. Surely this is an oversight by Hello, I don't think any other money scheme comes close to that.

Yeah I imagine they'll nerf the sell price of Lubricant pretty hard, or they'll increase the ingredient requirement with additional rare ingredients to compensate.

For those wondering about the well-being of Sean Murray, he seems to be doing fine, hanging out with Jeff Minter.

CzRYsELXgAEjALz.jpg:large

Interesting they're having a "launch party". Lends a little bit of credence to my theory that all the stuff we got in the FU was meant to be there when the game launched.

Hmm, that is interesting. But it's probably less a lowkey admission that Sony/money forced them to release early than it is that they finally have something they feel good about celebrating. Because to be fair, if Foundation was truly what they meant to launch, it should at least have the multiplayer ghosts in it. Glad to see they can take a breather though.

Great to see them out celebrating after all the drama. They've earnt it after what they've accomplished with the foundation update. Hopefully with their recruitment drive the next major update doesn't take as long. I feel they need to capitalize on the positive reception of the recent updates and strike while the iron is hot. Another major update in the early new year followed by a detailed plan for the future of the game would certainly boost numbers even further and would go a long way in restoring people's faith in them.

I'm probably being overly optimistic there as content takes time to create and test and being a small team it would take even longer. I'm just really happy to be playing the game again on a daily basis. I'm probably being selfish but I don't want to get bored and move on again. I'd much rather have steady content updates to keep me here permanently. I cannot wait to see what they do next.

Tigress

So if you go to your home planet from another system is the game good about not randomly forgetting the system you last came from? Or has anyone had it glitch and forget (I'm a tad paranoid about that).

OuterLimits

I've barely come across any frenzied Sentinels recently and have been on some deliciously lush planets so I think you've probably been really unlucky.

I have landed on about six or seven "pleasant" planets and they all had aggressive sentinels. It seems every planet has to have an obstacle in Survival mode. Since paradise planets don't impact your hazard protection, the only other option is aggressive sentinels. Perhaps nice planets exist without them, but unfortunately I haven't found one yet.

I wish there was a way to cloak yourself from the sentinels. Or a way to do something on the planet to make the sentinels disappear for a time or become less aggressive.

On the pleasant planets I have visited in Survival, I can barely take a few steps before some sentinel is rushing up to me. They are easy to dispatch once you upgrade the multi tool but it gets annoying.

I get somewhat bored playing Normal again though after playing Survival. Plutonium(and everything else) is much more common on Normal, and buildings are much more prevalent.

E92 M3

This update is such a massive improvement. Quick question: how do I summon freighter near planet? It keeps showing as red.

And where do I get Voltoic Cell from?

putermcgee

On PS4, I have this weird bug going on with my inventory, and I'm worried that my game/save is borked now. While transferring stuff between ship and freighter, something happened where my jetpack (top left corner of my inventory, never able to move or delete) got moved to my ship's inventory.

Why is my jetpack in the ship?!
nTEOKFS.png

I don't know how it happened, since the transfer there only affects the ship and freighter, and I didn't even notice right away. As I was going back to my ship, I couldn't fly around, and the game said the jetpack was depleted. I figured it was a glitch because I was on the freighter and maybe it's still buggy. Once I realized what had happened, I took the opportunity to build a new jetpack next to the jetpack modifiers.

But now when I try to transfer items from my safes at my base, whatever item is in the top left corner of my exosuit inventory gets moved to my ship. If I try to transfer the same item from the safe again, nothing happens. If I try to transfer a different item, it says "no free slots in ship inventory"... but my ship's inventory isn't affected when transferring to and from a safe? What the hell is happening to my game!

Shaneus

Has anyone seen a bug with the Korvax and needing to build a beacon? They said I needed to build one, but I did and it still won't let me pass. It's for the glass task.

Also, I noticed I could build them for "free", not needing any components. But could then delete them and get their parts, copper wire and something else. Weird.

Mindlog

Has anyone seen a bug with the Korvax and needing to build a beacon? They said I needed to build one, but I did and it still won't let me pass. It's for the glass task.

Also, I noticed I could build them for "free", not needing any components. But could then delete them and get their parts, copper wire and something else. Weird.
I've noticed then when building items you don't actually need the components as long as you have the materials for those components.

Also I ran into the same bug. Turns out you have to build the beacon within your base building zone. I just put it on top of my main tower. You can see it in the pic above.

Just played for about an hour with the new 1.13 update and nothing immediately stood out as being new or different. I did however have my first crash of the game in months...

Just played for about an hour with the new 1.13 update and nothing immediately stood out as being new or different. I did however have my first crash of the game in months...

I think it's just bug fixes according to the Experimental branch notes, except for this "feature": Space battles will now vary in size more and players should see bigger battles

Shaneus

I've noticed then when building items you don't actually need the components as long as you have the materials for those components.

Also I ran into the same bug. Turns out you have to build the beacon within your base building zone. I just put it on top of my main tower. You can see it in the pic above.
Oh, that's interesting on both points. So I don't have to build carite sheets to build something that requires them. Nice!

putermcgee

On PS4, I have this weird bug going on with my inventory, and I'm worried that my game/save is borked now. While transferring stuff between ship and freighter, something happened where my jetpack (top left corner of my inventory, never able to move or delete) got moved to my ship's inventory!
I closed the game and loaded up again to find the problem fixed. I no longer had a jetpack in my ship inventory, and items pulls out of safes with no problem. Plus, I got to move my jetpack next to the modifiers, so hopefully I can get a little more boost out of them!

This was before the patch, so that's not what fixed it.

Unicorn

The brake drifting is when using boost and applying brake, you still accelerate and turn or bank. Dunno if whoever was asking ever figured it out, but I finally tried some space combat last night and that's when I noticed it. May only work in combat?
They still have yet to add a reasonable way to backtrack.

Galactic map is such a trainwreck.

The brake drifting is when using boost and applying brake, you still accelerate and turn or bank. Dunno if whoever was asking ever figured it out, but I finally tried some space combat last night and that's when I noticed it. May only work in combat?

Yeah I was the one asking. Hitting the "brake" aka reverse thrusters only reduces velocity, and velocity has always determined the maximum turn rate of the ship. I haven't seen anything that is different to pre-Foundation, but tbh I never tried slamming on reverse while boosting in the past so maybe they did change that.

What I was expecting (and asking them for) was a lateral slide with only a small reduction in velocity, like the back kicking out of a rear-wheel drive car.

I rarely use boost in battles anyway because it's just so awkward doing that while trying to turn and fire at the same time. Trying to do a new maneuver by also pressing reverse is too much. Thrusters and thruster boost really should be both on R2.

Here's a question; if I claim a new base, does EVERYTHING in my old base get broken down into components accessible at the terminal, or is it just some stuff? Like it took a lot of resources to build all those hydroponic stations and mordite plants, or the galactic trade terminal. Do I need to break all that stuff down manually before I move bases?

Here's a question; if I claim a new base, does EVERYTHING in my old base get broken down into components accessible at the terminal, or is it just some stuff? Like it took a lot of resources to build all those hydroponic stations and mordite plants, or the galactic trade terminal. Do I need to break all that stuff down manually before I move bases?

You only get 50% of the materials back on base components when transferring bases. I'm not sure about plants. Personally I think it discourages people from moving, but I guess that's what the freighter is for.

Top Bottom