• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky |OT2| Maths Effect

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
The scanner is hit or miss on plutonium. Usually will show big crystals. Zinc has become much less an issue now since you get it from destroyed sentinels. On Survival mode, finding a multitool with the plasma grenade should be a top priority. Blasting your own caves to recharge hazard protection makes the game much easier.(as does defeating the flying eye sentinels.)

This game really had the potential for an amazing story but dropped the ball. Which is a shame because the story bits found at Abandoned buildings, Monoliths, and the Atlas path are actually pretty interesting. It makes it frustrating that the foundation of a good story is there but never expanded upon.

It's getting there. I consider this game to be good, and even if we don't get story related content in the near future, if they add one or two more large updates like Foundation and Pathfinder, I'd have no problem calling it 'great'.

Used-ID

Finally completely scanned 10 planets.

Now to work on getting a fighter and a better ship.

About the only thing I don't like is how long it takes to get money, but I get how gaining money too quickly could ruin the game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
You can't scan for Heridium in the traditional way. You can build a signal booster and search for 'resources' but that's not guaranteed to find just Heredium or the closest source.

Just walk about 2 or 3 minutes away from your ship and then, keeping your ship icon at the very edge of the upper indicator, begin a slow circular sweep of the area, taking in the peaks to maximise your view. You'll find one, and pock up Plutonium along the way. Just don't be in a rush, take your time and make sure you don't DIE!

Here's what it looks like: http://i.amz.mshcdn.com/UE4LVcd-8Jj...ds/card/image/170656/No_Mans_Sky_Heridium.jpg

I took your advice, and despite having to look a bit further, I finally found a Heridium deposit. Then of course went on to find two more in the space of an hour. Classic Survival!

Anyway, it's all good because during that trek I came across two drop pods (suit slot upgrades) and an outpost with not one, but two shelters! So now when friends come to visit my radioactive rock, this is where we'll party...lol.

Must say, it feels pretty cool to slowly trudge your way across a barren hellscape, before finally spotting something in the distance, zooming in, and realising it's a fully equipped outpost. Plus when you don't have enough hazard protection to run all the way around, but you have enough life support for some careful jetpack feathering and drop into the clearing unscathed, you feel like a total boss :D

Now I just need to finish gathering Plutonium and get back to the ship and I'll continue scouting the planet.
Thanks again Gribble and all for the tips. Really appreciate it. It's encouraging to see the community is active.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I took your advice, and despite having to look a bit further, I finally found a Heridium deposit. Then of course went on to find two more in the space of an hour. Classic Survival!

Anyway, it's all good because during that trek I came across two drop pods (suit slot upgrades) and an outpost with not one, but two shelters! So now when friends come to visit my radioactive rock, this is where we'll party...lol.

Must say, it feels pretty cool to slowly trudge your way across a barren hellscape, before finally spotting something in the distance, zooming in, and realising it's a fully equipped outpost. Plus when you don't have enough hazard protection to run all the way around, but you have enough life support for some careful jetpack feathering and drop into the clearing unscathed, you feel like a total boss :D

Now I just need to finish gathering Plutonium and get back to the ship and I'll continue scouting the planet.
Thanks again Gribble and all for the tips. Really appreciate it. It's encouraging to see the community is active.

You might enjoy the reddit community if you're not already on there. It's no where near the mess it used to be: https://www.reddit.com/r/NoMansSkyTheGame/new/

Oh, and I found my 2nd Portal since the updates yesterday!

33501696024_0dd2187409_b.jpg

OuterLimits

Finally completely scanned 10 planets.

Now to work on getting a fighter and a better ship.

About the only thing I don't like is how long it takes to get money, but I get how gaining money too quickly could ruin the game.

I'm in the process of trying to complete 10 planets(done seven so far) in permadeath mode since its needed to get the theta drive from Polo. I have gotten all other blueprints he offers as rewards.

I'm struggling to find theta upgrades period since the recent update. Only blueprint I have is the jetpack one because of Polo. Space stations keep offering the sigma and tau ones. Operation centers and crashed ship sites are giving me low level ones I already have.

I'm getting by with using a sigma/ tau combination on planets but it drains the resources much faster.

Came close to biting the dust last night. For some reason the jetpack doesn't recharge when you are flying your ship. Soon after landing I jumped off a mountain and realised my jetpack was still empty. It killed my shield and one health bar. Two predators were apparently thrilled to see some moron falling down a mountain and attacked. I managed to kill them but was hit twice and survived with only two health left. Second time I have been reduced to two health bars by predators. Although the first time I wrote about a few days back was definitely my fault. Thanks to jetpacks not recharging while you fly for some reason, I almost saw my 70 hour journey to the center come to an end.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm in the process of trying to complete 10 planets(done seven so far) in permadeath mode since its needed to get the theta drive from Polo. I have gotten all other blueprints he offers as rewards.

I'm struggling to find theta upgrades period since the recent update. Only blueprint I have is the jetpack one because of Polo. Space stations keep offering the sigma and tau ones. Operation centers and crashed ship sites are giving me low level ones I already have.

I'm getting by with using a sigma/ tau combination on planets but it drains the resources much faster.

Came close to biting the dust last night. For some reason the jetpack doesn't recharge when you are flying your ship. Soon after landing I jumped off a mountain and realised my jetpack was still empty. It killed my shield and one health bar. Two predators were apparently thrilled to see some moron falling down a mountain and attacked. I managed to kill them but was hit twice and survived with only two health left. Second time I have been reduced to two health bars by predators. Although the first time I wrote about a few days back was definitely my fault. Thanks to jetpacks not recharging while you fly for some reason, I almost saw my 70 hour journey to the center come to an end.

You need to be the top rank with each species to get Theta. You can easily raise the levels by offering things like Vy'Keen Daggers, Corvex Cubes and Gek Charms. Pay close attention to the things you get from green boxes.

edit: Why doesn't it bump this thread to the main page when people post? No wonder it's not very active.

Shaneus

You need to be the top rank with each species to get Theta. You can easily raise the levels by offering things like Vy'Keen Daggers, Corvex Cubes and Gek Charms. Pay close attention to the things you get from green boxes.

edit: Why doesn't it bump this thread to the main page when people post? No wonder it's not very active.
It's a "Community" thread now :/

OuterLimits

Ah. Good to know. I'm actually at the second highest rank with each species right now so it shouldn't be much longer, especially the Gek which is less than 10 points away.

I imagine the theta ones will be super pricey though, so I need to be saving up the nanites.

The phase beam on the ship seems to deplete super fast now. Although they did reduce space battle damage in the recent update for survivor mode. Just the sigma/tau upgrades for the beam/shields make pirate battles easy. Even taking on one pirate ship early game with no upgrades is not that difficult now if you have a bit of iron to recharge shield. Before, you pretty much had to escaoe to a planet or space station.

Used-ID

I'm guessing it's not that hard to find another person's base?

I've been fearing that coming across someone else would be a matter of blind luck...

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
I'm guessing it's not that hard to find another person's base?

I've been fearing that coming across someone else would be a matter of blind luck...

You have to make the effort. It took me quite some time to find the Galactic Hub. Here's the link. You put the numbers (minus the first 4) from the Signal Booster into this and it shows you which direction and how many warps:

https://pahefu.github.io/pilgrimstarpath/

NotSelf

Oh I thought that was your base GribbleGrunger that's cool I haven't found any bases myself I only found some planets discovered by only one player and that was last year. I have yet to see any other discoveries made by other players.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Oh I thought that was your base GribbleGrunger that's cool I haven't found any bases myself I only found some planets discovered by only one player and that was last year. I have yet to see any other discoveries made by other players.

Get yourself to the HUB then! Check to see how far you are away using the app I posted a link to above. I'm currently looking for 'Lennon', the capital of the HUB. When you start reading messages other people have left, visiting other peoples bases, and finding clues on where to find the best stuff, you soon realise how involved this game can be.

OuterLimits

Anyone here walked an entire planet yet? I have done a moon but not a planet. Game kept bugging out on me after I walked for awhile. It essentially kept preventing me from walking forwards anymore and kept flipping me around. I had to walk backwards until I found a save point. Once I reloaded the game I could move forward again.(for awhile)

This was before the updates though. Now that you can build your own save beacons, it should be less problematic when it happens.

Once I'm fully equipped with theta upgrades and a stronger multi tool, perhaps I will attempt it on a bigger planet on permadeath mode. Would be fun to do it on a really hostile planet with tons of predators.

My base looks boring compared to many I have seen. Although I haven't spent much time on it, as my focus is getting closer to the center. Still 160,000 away though(started 178,000). Hopefully have the theta drive soon to speed things up.

Anyone get glitches when trying to find species on planets? I swear sometimes my game claims they're more species than are really there. Sometimes I have three boxes or so at the bottom that never get filled. Usually cave dwellers are the bottom of the list on dry planets. Yet, on some, I still have a couple "undiscovered species" beneath them. Usually those would be water creatures so perhaps the game is bugging out on me. This has happened on several dry planets. It's making it more difficult to get 10 planets completed in my permadeath game.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member

Nail-biting stuff. Will remember that foible with the jetpack!

Gribble, you may be pleased to know that your guide has helped me get to a space station and my first beacon. I took my time like you said, and amassed 1mil units from trades and discoveries. That includes the bonus from scanning every creature on the first planet! My last scan was a hostile crab ;)

Fortunately my second planet doesn't have a hazardous environment, but the Sentinels are permanently pissed apparently, so will have to take care. I did want some advice, though. Found this at the outpost where I got the FTL blueprint:

I imagine it's not a good idea to blow my entire savings on this one gun (I do have a slightly better ship, but nothing to write home about), and I need to buy that one thing for the FTL...but I'm worried I'll get picked off by pirates and lose all that hard-earned cash.

Is there anything I should definitely wait and save for, or would this actually be a sound investment?

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Nail-biting stuff. Will remember that foible with the jetpack!

Gribble, you may be pleased to know that your guide has helped me get to a space station and my first beacon. I took my time like you said, and amassed 1mil units from trades and discoveries. That includes the bonus from scanning every creature on the first planet! My last scan was a hostile crab ;)

Fortunately my second planet doesn't have a hazardous environment, but the Sentinels are permanently pissed apparently, so will have to take care. I did want some advice, though. Found this at the outpost where I got the FTL blueprint:

I imagine it's not a good idea to blow my entire savings on this one gun (I do have a slightly better ship, but nothing to write home about), and I need to buy that one thing for the FTL...but I'm worried I'll get picked off by pirates and lose all that hard-earned cash.

Is there anything I should definitely wait and save for, or would this actually be a sound investment?

It depends on how much you've upgraded your suit slots, which I would advise you continue to do as often as possible BUT also take opportunities like this to better other equipment. I'd take it if I were playing just because it's within your price range and it's quite rare to find guns like that. Most of the time they're well out of your 'early' price range or not good enough to bother. I'm assuming you're also collecting plenty of nanites to buy upgrades for your gun? If not then there's very little point in having more slots.

By the way, are you aware of the melee/jetpack trick? If not then run > melee followed immediately by jetpack will get you moving much faster on planets. It takes some practice but it's worth the effort.

As far as pirates are concerned, just play it really safe. And don't stray from the planet hopping advise or waiting for the scan and then dipping back into the atmosphere to give you as long as the game will allow to travel further.

Bonus pic ... because I like pics:

33674132614_7a71f76e18_b.jpg

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Okay sounds good. I might just splash out and try a little Sentinel hunting to celebrate. Thanks!

Foolishly, I spent all my Nanites on suit upgrade blueprints. But I'll concentrate on the gun from now on.

If you die in survival, you lose your current inventory and money, but keep your equipment and upgrades, right?

Edit:
Oh, and do keep the bonus pics coming as long as you have stock. They look great, and make a nice signature of sorts :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Okay sounds good. I might just splash out and try a little Sentinel hunting to celebrate. Thanks!

Foolishly, I spent all my Nanites on suit upgrade blueprints. But I'll concentrate on the gun from now on.

If you die in survival, you lose your current inventory and money, but keep your equipment and upgrades, right?

Edit:
Oh, and do keep the bonus pics coming as long as you have stock. They look great, and make a nice signature of sorts :)

There's nothing wrong or foolish about that. As long as you're aware of that part of the game and don't neglect it, everything is fine. You'd be surprised how many people just don't collect nanites and then come on Riddit to complain they can't find better suit upgrades. On that subject, I'm assuming you're also giving things like Vy'Keen daggers, Gek Charms and Corvex Cubes to the relevant species to up your standing? Better standing gives you better upgrades. You'll need to talk to them more than once to do this. The first time is never to do with raising your standing.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Gah. That gun was replaced by a much crappier one when I logged back in. Have been searching other outposts for something similar but no luck so far. Looks like I'm back to Scrooging and upgrading my suit when I can for the time being.

There's nothing wrong or foolish about that. As long as you're aware of that part of the game and don't neglect it, everything is fine. You'd be surprised how many people just don't collect nanites and then come on Riddit to complain they can't find better suit upgrades. On that subject, I'm assuming you're also giving things like Vy'Keen daggers, Gek Charms and Corvex Cubes to the relevant species to up your standing? Better standing gives you better upgrades. You'll need to talk to them more than once to do this. The first time is never to do with raising your standing.

I've only met Corvax so far and have been giving them cubes and the like. Also got a stack of Gek Charms ready, but didn't know Vy'Keen Daggers were a standing item, so will save those from now on. Cheers!

Minamu

GribbleGrunger: Have you posted any longer personal thoughts on the game? You post so many pictures, so I'm curious as to your opinion on everything NMS :)

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
GribbleGrunger: Have you posted any longer personal thoughts on the game? You post so many pictures, so I'm curious as to your opinion on everything NMS :)

I can't see the point to be honest. You know full well it would just lead to arguments and I think my long term support for the game says more than any words I could throw together. Suffice to say, I was happy with it at launch and I'm even happier with it now after the two updates. I just wish Hello Games would fully embrace the 'less is more' philosophy and realise that having a random pattern of distribution across the 'whole' planet creates the illusion of repetition, even if on the face of it, each location looks slightly different.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Gah. That gun was replaced by a much crappier one when I logged back in. Have been searching other outposts for something similar but no luck so far. Looks like I'm back to Scrooging and upgrading my suit when I can for the time being.

I've only met Corvax so far and have been giving them cubes and the like. Also got a stack of Gek Charms ready, but didn't know Vy'Keen Daggers were a standing item, so will save those from now on. Cheers!

I think it's Grah-Grah that gives you the most for Vy'Keen standing. Each race has at least one thing that raises you three point. It's Gek-nip with the Gek (BUT DON'T USE OR SELL THAT). There's your best long term money earner when you finally set up a farm. If you ever find a solar system selling Gek-Nip then buy what they have, save and then reload. Buy as much of it as you can. I'm currently making 24m an hour between my Nip-Nip farm on my base and freighter. I found a +99.7% on Nip-Nip and I'm hanging around for a while.

34166875682_41edda7276_b.jpg

Minamu

I can't see the point to be honest. You know full well it would just lead to arguments and I think my long term support for the game says more than any words I could throw together. Suffice to say, I was happy with it at launch and I'm even happier with it now after the two updates. I just wish Hello Games would fully embrace the 'less is more' philosophy and realise that having a random pattern of distribution across the 'whole' planet creates the illusion of repetition, even if on the face of it, each location looks slightly different.
You have a point there. I hope you didn't take offense by my asking, I'm just curious. I have the platinum so I'm a fan as well, though I try to remain objective. I fully agree with you on the less is more principle, it's almost funny how the illusion of repetition is so impactful here. The randonness just becomes noise somehow.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
You have a point there. I hope you didn't take offense by my asking, I'm just curious. I have the platinum so I'm a fan as well, though I try to remain objective. I fully agree with you on the less is more principle, it's almost funny how the illusion of repetition is so impactful here. The randonness just becomes noise somehow.

No, of course not.

Yes, if anything needs to change in NMS it's the distribution of assets and topography. Give me flat plains for miles and THEN a mountain range. Give me some planets with only ONE ocean. Give me lots of caves with NO decorations.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
I think it's Grah-Grah that gives you the most for Vy'Keen standing. Each race has at least one thing that raises you three point. It's Gek-nip with the Gek (BUT DON'T USE OR SELL THAT). There's your best long term money earner when you finally set up a farm. If you ever find a solar system selling Gek-Nip then buy what they have, save and then reload. Buy as much of it as you can. I'm currently making 24m an hour between my Nip-Nip farm on my base and freighter. I found a +99.7% on Nip-Nip and I'm hanging around for a while.

Holy moly o_o
You seem pretty settled down! Which mode are you playing on?
I'm determined to get to the centre with my Survival run, but thinking of starting an Exploration save for more chillaxing, finding a nice planet and setting up shop.
Really interested to try out all the base building and such, but afraid it'll eat away at precious resources in Survival, where there are other things to consider...like surviving.

Also, should I be selling the stuff I get from killing crabs and Sentinels? Feels like they're just taking up space, so unless I find a blueprint that needs them soon I may just flog 'em.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Holy moly o_o
You seem pretty settled down! Which mode are you playing on?
I'm determined to get to the centre with my Survival run, but thinking of starting an Exploration save for more chillaxing, finding a nice planet and setting up shop.
Really interested to try out all the base building and such, but afraid it'll eat away at precious resources in Survival, where there are other things to consider...like surviving.

Also, should I be selling the stuff I get from killing crabs and Sentinels? Feels like they're just taking up space, so unless I find a blueprint that needs them soon I may just flog 'em.

I'm currently playing Normal because I'm into photo mode but I'll be returning to Permadeath and Survival when the next update hits which should be soon (hopefully).

There's a two quests that requires you to get both Pugneum (sentinels) and Mordite (creatures) but it's so easy to get those that carry any is pointless. Delete or sell them. Once you've done that two quests then there's no need for them whatsoever, unless a 'need' is patched in at a later date, but like I said, they're easy to get.

From my latest stream:

34574062862_d4501e7649_o.png

34696226046_2d97c78eb4_o.png

34574064482_e0b6d75990_o.png

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
Awesome. Thanks so much as always, Grib.
Your pics are great. Wouldn't mind tuning into your stream sometime. Do you have a link/schedule?

Unicorn

Good to know.

What's your setup if you don't mind me asking?
Intel i5 750 @ 2.67ghz
GTX 960 4gb
8gb RAM
Win7 64

Have consistent 60, and especially super stable 60 inside a space station, just panning my camera left or right has juddering screen tearing that makes no sense.

Intel i5 750 @ 2.67ghz
GTX 960 4gb
8gb RAM
Win7 64

Have consistent 60, and especially super stable 60 inside a space station, just panning my camera left or right has juddering screen tearing that makes no sense.

Thanks, was curious. I was wondering if we happened to have the same GPU or something since others are saying they don't have the problem. Turns out, our rigs couldn't be more different.

Ryzen 1700X @ 4.0GHz
RX480 8GB
32GB RAM
Win10 64

Unicorn

Thanks, was curious. I was wondering if we happened to have the same GPU or something since others are saying they don't have the problem. Turns out, our rigs couldn't be more different.

Ryzen 1700X @ 4.0GHz
RX480 8GB
32GB RAM
Win10 64

Yeah, my CPU is my current bottleneck. Next time I upgrade I'm just going for a new mobo and CPU. the i5 could very well be the culprit since this is cpu-heavy game, but my fps being high has me scratching my head about the vsync issues.

Gribble, not that your pictures aren't great, but we do have a photo thread that would probably be better for most of this sharing. A few pictures now and then are fine, but the OT is more focused on discussion than images.

Top Bottom