• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No PS4, Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

strata8

I'm actually happy with the current level of graphics. Better IQ/textures is all I need in the next gen, honestly. 1080p/60fps + supersampling, but I know that will never happen :/

NotTarts said:
I'm actually happy with the current level of graphics. Better IQ/textures is all I need in the next gen, honestly. 1080p/60fps + supersampling, but I know that will never happen :/

Why wouldn't it happen? I want new consoles, not only for better graphics, but also getting to play games without it being a pop up mess (cough crysis 2 cough)

That+ 60 fps

yes please. Nothing is impossible

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
NotTarts said:

It's easy to be happy with a current situation when you rule out the alternative as an impossibility...

Medalion said:
It was mostly the price...and then the fact the launch was slim pickins

Since I'm a consumer, I would know!

I ALWAYS buy new consoles at launch. This was the first time I doubted to buy one. Why? Because it had no GAMES! Only interesting one was SFIV and since I didn't like the SFIV on the consoles, I certainly wasn't all too fond in purchasing it for the 3ds. Those that did like SFIV on the other hand, have probably played it to death on the consoles.

And there were no interesting games announced at the time, so we had no idea when the first GOOD games would get released without it being a port (mario for example)

Jezbollah

"Consumers are happy" with current hardware, claims Bethesda's Howard

Translation:

We do not want a PS4 or Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

"We're going balls-deep on making Skyrim look awesome, we dont want to worry about investing the extra sum of money to do that in the next game on new hardware", begs Bethesda's Howard

.la1n

FTH said:
Is this masster race stuff necessary? reminds me of the PS3v360 garbage. My system better than yours nah nah nah nah anaaa

insufferable.

Not entirely sure, I've been a member / lurker of GAF for as long as I can remember and I've never seen seen an official stance on it. As far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) but Master race jokes are acceptable but console wars/fanboyism are not.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Dan27 said:

"Consumers are happy" with current hardware, claims Bethesda's Howard

Translation:

We do not want a PS4 or Xbox 720 before 2014, says Skyrim boss

"We're going balls-deep on making Skyrim look awesome, we dont want to worry about investing the extra sum of money to do that in the next game on new hardware", begs Bethesda's Howard
Lol. The next Bethesda game is definitely a next gen game, the same as Oblivion was.

strata8

Lovely Salsa said:
Why wouldn't it happen? I want new consoles, not only for better graphics, but also getting to play games without it being a pop up mess (cough crysis 2 cough)

That+ 60 fps

yes please. Nothing is impossible
Consumers will keep pushing for more effects and more detailed graphics, regardless of the sacrifices made along the way. It's hard not to imagine that the same thing will happen next generation.

I mean, honestly, there aren't a lot of games this generation that push the 1280x720/no AA/30fps envelope. Development costs are going to keep rising, though, so hopefully we'll reach a point where developers stop focusing on visual effects and asset creation and more on IQ.

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
.la1n said:
Not entirely sure, I've been a member / lurker of GAF for as long as I can remember and I've never seen seen an official stance on it. As far as I can tell (correct me if I'm wrong) but Master race jokes are acceptable but console wars/fanboyism are not.

Because more often than not " pc master race " is nothing but a facetious tongue in cheek joke, whereas """"console wars"""" are fought to the death and are always ugly .

Fjordson

FTH said:
Is this masster race stuff necessary? reminds me of the PS3v360 garbage. My system better than yours nah nah nah nah anaaa

insufferable.
It's a staple on GAF, I'm afraid.

Same goes for the word "glorious" when people talk about their computers and "peasant" when talking about console gamers.

NotTarts said:
Consumers will keep pushing for more effects and more detailed graphics, regardless of the sacrifices made along the way. It's hard not to imagine that the same thing will happen next generation.

I mean, honestly, there aren't a lot of games this generation that push the 1280x720/no AA/30fps envelope. Development costs are going to keep rising, though, so hopefully we'll reach a point where developers stop focusing on visual effects and asset creation and more on IQ.
This is not meant as a Master Race post but this is why, a few years in a gen, PC games end up being so superior. There always comes a point in a gen when PC ridiculously outspecs consoles and the additional power can be used to finally make up for these trade-offs between effects, IQ and performance.

As you said, I have no reason to think next-gen games will all of a sudden be 60 fps 1080P with great AA.

Frankfurt

Banned
DennisK4 said:
True hardcore gamers have long been bored with the sub-HD consoles and long for new tech but the masses are content with Wii graphics.....

Hilarious.

Who are said "true" hardcore gamers, pray tell? People that walk up to a wall in game, take a screencap and post it in forums to discuss it for 10 pages?

1-D_FTW

Wouldn't be surprised. I suppose one of the companies could flinch, but WiiU (unless they use well founded fear to up the specs) is going to burn spectacularly. It'd be silly for either MS/Sony to start the next generation war. WiiU is current gen and has no compelling reasons for Sony/MS customers to abandon them for Nintendo. From a business POV, milk that for every cent.

daviyoung

Banned
Frankfurt said:
Who are said "true" hardcore gamers, pray tell? People that walk up to a wall in game, take a screencap and post it in forums to discuss it for 10 pages?

This is deja vu. How often to you use that argument?

The M.O.B

1-D_FTW said:
Wouldn't be surprised. I suppose one of the companies could flinch, but WiiU (unless they use well founded fear to up the specs) is going to burn spectacularly. It'd be silly for either MS/Sony to start the next generation war. WiiU is current gen and has no compelling reasons for Sony/MS customers to abandon them for Nintendo. From a business POV, milk that for every cent.
Up what specs? Nobody even knows what the specs are yet, and if you do then please post them.

Claiming the WiiU isn't next gen just because of whatever the specs may be is silly.

NotTarts said:

How many PC games are out there that a high end computer can't play in 1080p 60 fps? Is there even one?

StuBurns

Banned
I don't care if enjoying the consoles disqualifies me from being a 'true hardcore gamer', although I disagree it does.

polyh3dron said:
The PC version of Skyrim will run at 1080p/60FPS and great AA with the proper machine WITH NO ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT COSTS

DID I BLOW YOUR MIND
Next gen consoles will not just be current gen graphics at higher settings. The visuals will be much more sophisticated, just like current gen vs. last gen.

FTH said:

insufferable.

He has a good point. Its not like it costs a fortune to make games run in 1080p 60 fps if you have a system for it. Like some people here believe...

Ellis Kim

Banned
I don't want to hear a single peep from either Sony or MS for next gen plans until 2013. Not a one.

Release 2014 or 2015.

Loonz

The M.O.B said:
Up what specs? Nobody even knows what the specs are yet, and if you do then please post them.

Claiming the WiiU isn't next gen just because of whatever the specs may be is silly.

Exactly. As of now nothing about WiiU is set in stone, probably not even the hardware, much less launch price, game lineup, general strategy or services included with the console. And somehow some people here are making ridiculous assumptions (I specially like that "middle generation" one) based on what, rumors?. Lovely.

Please stop making assumptions about WiiU hardware capabilities until we know the final specs for sure. Please stop making assumptions about its launch catalog and price until we have more info or a clearer picture of what Nintendo is trying to do with it.

I've had the PS3 since launch (yeah, I paid 600 € for it, never ever again) and I'm more than ready for new consoles. In fact I've just bought a new PC for Witcher 2. So when the WiiU launches I'll probably (depending on the price) throw the PS3 away with the Wii and get one instead. I respect all of you who are content with the current consoles, but I want to remind you that not every single one of us is in the same situation.

Chromax said:
I'm fine with 2014.
Same. This is great news if it ends up being true. 2014 means a better chance at Maxwell and Samaritan-level graphics. 2013 is too soon. The Wii U probably isn't going to be a much of a threat to PS4 and the next Xbox so I'm praying Sony and MS don't launch in 2013 because of it.
1-D_FTW said:
Said it better than I could. The PS4 especially I don't think will launch in 2013. They're just starting to get profitable with it.

Lovely Salsa said:
Linkage to the test?

My point is with the next gen consoles, MOST of the games should be able to run in 1080p 60 fps
Most current gen games on next gen hardware, sure.
Games taylored for next gen hardware? They'll probably use that increase in power to push other aspects that are more immediately differentiating.

They've never used a generation gap to make 60 fps a standard so I have no reason to believe they would now.

kitch9

Banned
Just got my PC hooked up to my TV in the lounge via Asus's superb Wavi system.

Those who are saying they are happy with current consoles, shouldn't be.

50" 1080p 60FPS is the shizzle....... I've just started my LTTP run of Dead Space and its STUNNING.

RPGamer92

Banned
Do people really want to spend $400+ on next gen systems just for shinier graphics? Have you guys (yes you master race) seen Uncharted 3? Last Guardian? Even last year's Gran Turismo 5? Those all look amazing and show that console gaming can pump out fancy looking graphics. Plus do the hardware companies want to spend God knows what on making these new systems only to have more billion dollar losses during one of the worst recessions ever?

Heavy said:
Same. This is great news if it ends up being true. 2014 means a better chance at Maxwell and Samaritan-level graphics. 2013 is too soon. The Wii U probably isn't going to be a much of a threat to PS4 and the next Xbox so I'm praying Sony and MS don't launch in 2013 because of it.

Said it better than I could. The PS4 especially I don't think will launch in 2013. They're just starting to get profitable with it.

key word there is probably. I love how people write off systems before they're even launched.

few more years, I am fine with that completely. Some games out there are still showing us that there is more which can be done in games to make them look and perform better, basic example is comparing gears 1, 2 and 3 together.

eso76

Loonz said:
If this is true, this means that WiiU will be ¿2 years alone in the market?.

Iwata: "Laughs"?

At this point it's more of a disadvantage imho, it will be treated as current gen (getting current gen games) until next gen launches, then it will look very outdated and will fall out of the third party porting loop. Which might not be a concern for Nintendo and its fans, but somehow i don't think Wiiu appeals to casuals as much as Wii did.

RPGamer92

Banned
eso76 said:
At this point it's more of a disadvantage imho, it will be treated as current gen (getting current gen games) until next gen launches, then it will look very outdated and will fall out of the third party porting loop. Which might not be a concern for Nintendo and its fans, but somehow i don't think Wiiu appeals to casuals as much as Wii did.
If PS4 and 720 don't come out until 2015/2016, then Nintendo might need a new system by then.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
mysteriousmage09 said:
Late 2013. That will be 7 years for the PS3 and 8 years for the 360, as well as a year or so with WiiU riding solo.
This is what I'm thinking too. I probably won't get my hands on a new console until 2014 or so but I have a feeling that late 2013 is going to be when they start to hit.

PSFan said:
Do people really want to spend $400+ on next gen systems just for shinier graphics? Have you guys (yes you master race) seen Uncharted 3? Last Guardian? Even last year's Gran Turismo 5? Those all look amazing and show that console gaming can pump out fancy looking graphics. Plus do the hardware companies want to spend God knows what on making these new systems only to have more billion dollar losses during one of the worst recessions ever?

Fuck im willing to spend 499 for a new gen console.
But only if they can provide 1080p.

Not sure how gt5 is right now but launch performance was really bad what was it 50% tearing or something and drops to 20 fps. Probably fanboy wars exaggerating the facts.

Uncharted 3 have you seen glorious 1080p screen of modded games?
If they can get a 6950 powerlike gpu in next gen consoles and devs can specialize for the it.
Then maybe artist can have more freedom and more power is always better animations in games can go a long way just like physics.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Not sure why people are taking developer opinions as if they are stating fact. I doubt MS or Sony will hush the complaints of other developers for new hardware (and consumers) just because of one or two still comfortable with current systems.

Sydle

I'm fine with this. I have a PS3 for exclusive single-player experiences (e.g., Uncharted, inFamous, Last Guardian) and Xbox 360 for everything else (e.g., Live Arcade, online multi-player, 3rd-party games). 60+ games owned and I still haven't touched Gears of War series, Mass Effect series, Assassin's Creed 2, Tales of Vesperia, Bioshock series, Vanquish, Batman AA, Bayonetta, Red Dead Redemption, GTAIV, etc. Yep, I'm fine with waiting a couple more years.

kitch9 said:
Just got my PC hooked up to my TV in the lounge via Asus's superb Wavi system.

Those who are saying they are happy with current consoles, shouldn't be.

50" 1080p 60FPS is the shizzle....... I've just started my LTTP run of Dead Space and its STUNNING.
Thank you for your all-encompassing input. It must have been hard gazing down upon us from your exalted palace in the skies. You have parted the heavens with your words and have instilled in us true wisdom.

Please, we beg for more of your knowledge.

[Nintex]

EA is already gearing up for next-gen with Moore and all. Criterion working on 'new platforms'. Crytek seems to be working on next-gen stuff as well, Ubisoft boss said he'd like new systems, other devs chipped in and Geoff already taped some bonus rounds on the subject. I'd be surprised if Halo 4 remains an Xbox 360 game. Maybe a cross-platform release like Twilight Princess? In any case 2013 or 2014 is way too late so MS will start the viral late this year or early next year. The upgrade from DX9 to DX11 will be quite something.

LosDaddie

Banned
2013 or 2014 is fine by me. I'm still enjoying this gen very much. Best gen OF ALL TIME! :)

In fact, there could be no more games released until 2013 and I'd still be busy with games already out. Playing through ME2 right now, next up is Mario Galaxy 2, and then RDR. But I do have Gears 3 and Uncharted 3 already paid off.

Fjordson said:
It's a staple on GAF, I'm afraid.

Same goes for the word "glorious" when people talk about their computers and "peasant" when talking about console gamers.

QFT.

[Nintex] said:
EA is already gearing up for next-gen with Moore and all. Criterion working on 'new platforms'. Crytek seems to be working on next-gen stuff as well, Ubisoft boss said he'd like new systems, other devs chipped in and Geoff already taped some bonus rounds on the subject. I'd be surprised if Halo 4 remains an Xbox 360 game. Maybe a cross-platform release like Twilight Princess? In any case 2013 or 2014 is way too late so MS will start the viral late this year or early next year. The upgrade from DX9 to DX11 will be quite something.
Not a chance (bolded part). And as for Crytek and Ubi starting to work on next-gen projects... well those types of games easily take 2-3+ years to create so 2014 sounds about right.

Top Bottom