• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noah Gervais: In defense of Doom 3

19068467444_c4a602b783_o_d.jpg

Yep still love this game, always did.
That scene was amazing, blew my mind as it was realtime and all. Just the way the bricks fell out of the wall and fire behind it and the silhouette of the monster. Really shows off how amazing Doom 3's lighting was.

lazygecko

His 'tiny audio' is a million times more informative and evocative than the (usually) shitty gameplay videos featured as visual filler.

I really wish he would improve on his editing and audio production though. He seems to do long takes in a single go and often fumbles his words as a result. He needs a compressor/limiter and a noise gate as well to improve the clarity of his speech. All these things go a long way to make the presentation more palatable.

As a video editor there are things this guy does that I'm super picky about

Like he'll show footage of something specific happening, minutes will pass, and then he'll talk about the thing he showed. If you're going to call out a specific thing, save the footage and show it at the same time you're talking about it.

He also needs to learn audio editing. Everybody flubs lines, but you're not supposed to leave the flubs in the finished product :p

It's a good video, otherwise, and he makes some good points about Doom 3 that I appreciate. I did eventually end up having fun with Doom 3 when I played most of it a couple years ago, though admittedly, I played it modded to heck to change how the gameplay worked.

Using Sikkmod, I sort of amped up Doom 3's risk/reward system by increasing the difficulty, cranking both monster and weapon damage up, and giving myself a bit of slow-acting regenerating health. It only regenerated health up to about 40% if I was low, and would take over a minute to do so, making monsters still very threatening in the moment. (It just meant I had a little more of a buffer to work with between battles)

In that setup, Doom 3 was fun. Monsters felt powerful, I felt powerful, and the horror elements still played.

Really though, I know some people will disagree, and I get the faster pacing and brighter colors of the new Doom getting people excited.

But it just doesn't have the oomph Doom 3 had.

Yes it was slower paced, and darker. But it also felt fresh )"(at the time). And it nailed that feeling of being alone during hell on Mars.

The original doom was fun, but it was also haunting and horrifying. The new Doom seems to have none of those qualities.

I remember reading the intro to the original Doom in the Manuel, and the idea was so perfect. Not the most fleshed out. But the way it set up what was about to happen, was great.

This just feels like Serious Sam with Doom skins IMO.

I get what you mean. All the footage we've seen of the new Doom in action is all about the high-octane, over the top action that Brutal Doom popularized. Granted a lot of it is because this is marketing and the marketing folks aren't going to show you anything that isn't fast paced, but when I think of Doom, I think about the monster closets, the enemy idle sounds, and the nerves that always came with what would happen when you pick up that key. I played JR's remix of E1M8 recently, and I haven't felt an adrenaline shot like that from playing a single player shooter in a loooooong time and a lot of that is because even now, over 20 years later, Doom can still make the hair on the back of your neck stick up like whoa.

With regards to D3 I agree with your thought process on the pacing helping provide the atmosphere, and that we just haven't gotten that with the material we've seen. but all we can do now is keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best on that one.

efyu_lemonardo

May I have a cookie?
My single favorite thing from Doom 3, the thing which I'm most annoyed didn't get copied by other games is the detailed use of computer systems in the game. I was SO sure when I first played the game that it was the future of gaming, that it would be like a standard feature from then on out. But no, a decade later and I'm still pressing E to "use" in almost everything.

I'd love for them to include some kind of backend into a new idTech or Unreal engine or something specifically to simulate computer systems.

well said.

Also, shadow volumes still aren't the norm in most games today and instead we have ugly aliased shadow maps :(

My single favorite thing from Doom 3, the thing which I'm most annoyed didn't get copied by other games is the detailed use of computer systems in the game. I was SO sure when I first played the game that it was the future of gaming, that it would be like a standard feature from then on out. But no, a decade later and I'm still pressing E to "use" in almost everything.

I'd love for them to include some kind of backend into a new idTech or Unreal engine or something specifically to simulate computer systems.

alphalabs3_crane2_singleaxis.png

Yup, the interactive computer screens were pretty awesome and a feature that nobody else has really copied since.

Check out the Terminal Doom mod, which showcases how advanced the interactive surfaces in Doom 3 were:

tumblr_mvaaprG7Gc1smreryo2_1280.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxLNIvuHj00

You can play Doom within Doom 3.

dogen

Check out the Terminal Doom mod, which showcases how advanced the interactive surfaces in Doom 3 were:

You can play Doom within Doom 3.

I'm not sure that's actually doing all that much. Just render doom to the screen texture and make sure the controls work right.

I'm not sure that's actually doing all that much. Just render doom to the screen texture and make sure the controls work right.

Yeah that mod is pretty old. But even so, it is still kind of impressive that you could render external programs within ID Tech 4. I'm sure stuff like this could be done in Unreal Engine 4, but it is still a thing that we don't really see get exploited in games. Not so much running games within games, but complex interactive UI's and control features within the game environments. This is something that Alien Isolation could have used.

These types of applications could make for good use in VR.

I really wish he would improve on his editing and audio production though. He seems to do long takes in a single go and often fumbles his words as a result. He needs a compressor/limiter and a noise gate as well to improve the clarity of his speech. All these things go a long way to make the presentation more palatable.

I find his low-fi setup kind of endearing, I like that he doesn't start with some flashy run of the mil after effects 3d title, he just sticks a sheet a paper in front of his old audio setup. I also dig that he doesn't really care to edit out his fumbles either, he just rolls with it, kinda refreshing in this era of perfectionism and quick cuts. Not everyone needs to become a v/a production professional to put your opinions up on youtube.

I find his low-fi setup kind of endearing, I like that he doesn't start with some flashy run of the mil after effects 3d title, he just sticks a sheet a paper in front of his old audio setup. I also dig that he doesn't really care to edit out his fumbles either, he just rolls with it, kinda refreshing in this era of perfectionism and quick cuts. Not everyone needs to become a v/a production professional to put your opinions up on youtube.

Agreed, though I assume for some it's a turn-off, I rather enjoy his style.

I love his videos, really like this type of long-format breakdown and analysis. But I have to agree that his audio balancing needs work, if the sound effects of the game in the background are as loud as the person speaking, then there's a problem.

I agree with this, but I would still like the overall audio quality to be a little bit better. Not that I really blame him. That shit is expensive.

The first playthrough of Doom 3 is freaking incredible. Lots of jumpy scare moments. And the bosses were HG Giger style designs.

The game, unfortunately was a one-and-done affair. The other big problem was that it was a 100% linear game with literally NO side-stuff to do. You went from Point A to Point B and killed everything in between. That's it.

Visually, it was amazing. But it had zero depth.

Justinh

I actually loved Doom 3 at release, when I played the remaster it's flaws were a lot more obvious. Still think it's an under-rated game though.

Man, I loved Doom 3 back in the day. I remember while playing it, a friend of mine used to just sit on my bed and watch. Every now and then he'd scream at something, which would startle me more than the game.

Thanks for the video link. I haven't watched it yet, but added to my Watch Later list so I can watch it on the tv.

The first playthrough of Doom 3 is freaking incredible. Lots of jumpy scare moments. And the bosses were HG Giger style designs.

The game, unfortunately was a one-and-done affair. The other big problem was that it was a 100% linear game with literally NO side-stuff to do. You went from Point A to Point B and killed everything in between. That's it.

Visually, it was amazing. But it had zero depth.

Co-op on Xbox was a wonderful addition that the PC version was sorely lacking. Throwing in an unpredictable element (another human) made that game sing. Not as well as VR makes it sing, but it still sang pretty well.

Looks like the VR mod hasn't seen any movement in a long time, and doesn't work with any of the more modern SDKs. My fingers remain tightly crossed someone else will pick up where they left off though, since it's a GitHub project.

Top Bottom