• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nomura confirms Kingdom Hearts 3's tutorial world and more! (Dengeki Interview)

DFRCgvCVoAI5vJr.jpg

Nomura did an Interview with Dengeki discussing Kingdom Hearts 3. Credit to Zephyr and KHInsider: https://www.khinsider.com/news/Deng...mura-on-KINGDOM-HEARTS-3-and-Union-Cross-9827

-Recently, a variety of information has been revealed from the latest footage. Many fans were surprised from the announcement of the release window ”2018".

Nomura: I had no choice but to be cautious for the announcement of the release date. Therefore, it is just the year but the release window is fixed and we're working towards that. I wanted you to have a peace of mind with that announcement.

–To suit their appearance according to the world, Sora and the gang have changed into toys.

Nomura: The design progress it took to make that appearance was long. I've tried to make it look like a figurine and I've explored various ways of stylizing the graphics into a 3-dimensional bit image.

–In the battle scene, Sora, Donald, Goofy, and in addition to Woody and Buzz made it a five-team party?

Nomura: In the footage, there are five people fighting at the same time. Depending on the world, it'd be possible to fight with up to 4 or more people with guest characters. Teaming up with others is also possible and please wait for the next report regarding the party system.

–With Sora being toy sized and battling outside the house, the world felt large.

Nomura: With that size, it's not possible for them to go anywhere far (laughs). The main area in the Toy Story world is the toy shop. The footage showed a toy shop called ”Galaxy Toys" which is such a large area.

–There are situations where Sora fights inside a robot.

Nomura: The idea of controlling a robot has been around during early development. There are different types of robots you can board and each of their fighting styles are different. There is another gimmick on another floor.

–In Olympus, there is an impressive battle between Rock Titan, and there seems to be more variety of elements in each world.

Nomura: We were pretty conscious about it while making it. Even in KH0.2 Birth by Sleep -A Fragmentary Passage-, I believe the maps have expanded platforming-wise and there is a need for exploration. KINGDOM HEARTS III has fewer Disney worlds than KINGDOM HEARTS II but the quality of each world is greater than in previous works.

–In KINGDOM HEARTS II, after visiting each world once, there was a scenario incentive to revisit them but what about KINGDOM HEARTS III?

Nomura: I personally liked having to revisit the worlds twice but KINGDOM HEARTS III has a different flow.

Weapon transformation and form will depend on the Keyblade

–Keyblade transformation is one of the main features in KINGDOM HEARTS III, and in this video, we see the transformation of the drill and hammer.

Nomura: The Keyblade can transform into various shapes. In any case, the drill is very lovely (laughs).

–Can the drill and hammer only be used in the Toy Story world?

Nomura: It's not restricted to the world but its ability is from the Keyblade obtained in the Toy Story world. Essentially, every Keyblade is capable of transforming and the Toy Story Keyblade transforms into the drill and hammer. And in KINGDOM HEARTS III, the Keyblade and Form are systematically attached together.

–What does that mean?

Nomura: In KINGDOM HEARTS II, you could decide which form to switch into during battle but this time, forms activate when you transform your Keyblade.

–Are there forms as many as the number of Keyblades?

Nomura: Actually no. Each Keyblade has an attributed type such as attack or defense and those are the forms that exists for each type. You switch into the form while transforming the Keyblade.

By the way, the series' iconic Keyblade Kingdom Key changes Sora into Second Form (Tentative Name) w/ KH2 color scheme but this form is exclusive to Kingdom Key. The Keyblade doesn't transform but your tactics change. Some forms are specific to certain Keyblades.

–Fighting with the Keyblade transformations, it seems pretty fun.

Nomura: Regarding battle actions, everything is pretty elaborate. Like I mentioned earlier, the transformations are unique to each Keyblade. When using the Olympus Keyblade, it transforms into a shield.

Also, in the recent footage, arrows and a bazooka were used alongside each other. Once you acquire the Keyblade, you can immediately start using the abilities seen in the footage.

–In the battle scene in the Toy Story world, Sora seems to be in a new form?

Nomura: Even in the Toy Story world where their appearance reflects the world, so does the form. In the footage, when you use the drill and hammer, the form also changes.

–From the previous E3 footage, there's a cutscene in Twilight Town. It seems to be an important world again.

Nomura: Twilight Town is a place where you'll have gameplay tutorials and it'll be one of the earlier stages.

–In the recent E3 footage, there was some interesting dialogue about Roxas and I'm concerned about the development of KINGDOM HEARTS III.

Nomura: Because there are too many characters that are appearing, the storyline has become complicated. There are quite a number of main characters that have appeared in the series, and every character will appear in some form.

Each of them have their own problems. How are we resolving them and how it affects the final phase...

–Will KINGDOM HEARTS III be able to solve all the mysteries concerning certain characters?

Nomura: The final chapter of the Dark Seeker Saga will form their conclusions.

–In the recent footage and the previous E3 footage, what is the meaning behind the quote?

Nomura: ”Don't assume your dreams are just fantasy. If you can imagine a world, believe in it...and dive in." was it? It means: ”jumping into an imaginative world without dreaming of it being fantasy." That is a catchphrase for the promotional trailers. It doesn't necessarily have a deep hidden meaning involved with the storyline. Since the recent footage began with Sora's dive scene, I tried to convey such a message.

Grylvak

I'm down for Twilight Town but Olympus would have been a great way to throw you into the games story. Would have been a great transition from 0.2 to 3.

So Prediction Time:

At the end of 0.2 Sora shows up to Yen Sid's place and prepares for the big adventure to start in KH3. Goofy and Donald ask where he's been and Sora replies "Secret!" I can only assume he's referring to whatever he was doing during the tutorial section in Twilight Town.

It also makes sense since Yen Sid's tower is only a short magic train ride from Twilight Town.

Ydelnae

Bummer. I was pretty looking forward to the idea of the game throwing you into the Hercules MoM exam and things escalating from the get go. I'm not particulary a fan of Twilight Town, I didn't even want it back in KH3, and now it's the opener.

DKHF

Nah, it feel like there is missing step between 3D ending and 0.2 ending. I guess they will explain it in the twilight town

So Prediction Time:

At the end of 0.2 Sora shows up to Yen Sid's place and prepares for the big adventure to start in KH3. Goofy and Donald ask where he's been and Sora replies "Secret!" I can only assume he's referring to whatever he was doing during the tutorial section in Twilight Town.

It also makes sense since Yen Sid's tower is only a short magic train ride from Twilight Town.

Ah I can see that being the case. That or KH13's given a dodgey translation but probably not.

Berordn

So Prediction Time:

Sora was in Traverse Town to thank all the Dream Eaters, which he did after the credits in DDD.

Chances are the gateway that Sora opens in 2.9 doesn't lead him straight to Olympus, but rather Twilight Town.

TheMink

Hopefully the tutorial is short this time.

I used to think the tutorial for KHII was egregiously long and it most assuredly is if you watch every cutscene, but I realized speed runners can beat the entirety of KHIIs tutorial in under 15 min.

My point being, if you wanted to jam through Roxas section in a half hour that is completely doable.

Sounds fine with me. Have Sora wondering around Twilight Town in the opening, getting the basics down and possibly visiting Hayner, Pence and Olette.

Then seeing Yensid, teaming up with Donald/Goofy and heading straight to Olympus.

Posted my half-assed interpretation of some of answers via google translate.

• You can't go everywhere outside Andy's Neighborhood in the Toy Story world. The main focus is the Galaxy Toy Store.
  • While there are less Disney Worlds in KH3 than KH2 there is a bigger focus on large open areas. We've seen a taste of it 0.2.
  • As it's the end of the Xehanort Saga everything will be wrapped up. It's a daunting task with some many characters this time.
  • The words presented before the previous two trailers are for promotional videos. They don't mean anything in the game.

Here it is in Japanese for those who could potentially translate: http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/562/1562448/

LycanXIII

Probably a retelling of him going from Twilight Town to the Mysterious Tower, before being sent to Olympus for people that skipped 0.2

Twilight Town to me sounds like Kairi might be the tutorial character since she supposedly would have some dealings with Yen Sid. It wouldn't make any sense to have Sora end up there after the 0.2 ending.

DKHF

KHInsider's translation (which I trust more since KH13 had a bad translation of Nomura's June concert interview that seemed like it came from Google translate compared to KHInsider's) makes it seem Twilight Town is not THE tutorial world.

So I still expect you will get your first tutorials (at least as Sora) at Olympus.

KHInsider's translation (which I trust more since KH13 had a bad translation of Nomura's June concert interview that seemed like it came from Google translate compared to KHInsider's) makes it seem Twilight Town is not THE tutorial world.

So I still expect you will get your first tutorials (at least as Sora) at Olympus.

You may be right. These translations at least seem more consistent. That and I've been following KHI for a long time.

This is weird, Sora was already wearing his new clothes in the footage showing Twilight Town.

I guess we may visit non-Disney worlds more than once.

DKHF

This is weird, Sora was already wearing his new clothes in the footage showing Twilight Town.
Since he says it's "a" place where you'll have tutorials maybe it's the second world after Olympus, and you get tutorials for a few abilities you haven't gotten/used yet, there. Maybe for traditional summons and other stuff.

Piers

It doesn’t necessarily have a deep hidden meaning involved with the storyline. Since the recent footage began with Sora’s dive scene, I tried to convey such a message.
Following from the revelation "I used belts and zippers because I like belts and zippers."

Following from the revelation "I used belts and zippers because I like belts and zippers."

Don't know if you saw this gem from an interview this weekend on the very subject. Imma post it anyway because it doesn't fail to make me laugh. Designing things out of spite is hilarious.

DFHoWAWU0AAfD5j.jpg:large

aadiboy

The fact he keeps reiterating that there are fewer worlds in KH3 makes me worried that there will only be like 7 Disney worlds. Even if they are huge, I'd still want a large variety of worlds.

DKHF

Interesting to learn that the Kingdom Key doesn't transform. I hadn't considered what it would transform into but was thinking all keyblades would transform.
The fact he keeps reiterating that there are fewer worlds in KH3 makes me worried that there will only be like 7 Disney worlds. Even if they are huge, I'd still want a large variety of worlds.
I think we have 4-5 more left to be revealed. I saw some people (including KH YouTubers) expecting at least 10 Disney worlds though so they could definitely be disappointed.

Interesting to learn that the Kingdom Key doesn't transform. I hadn't considered what it would transform into but was thinking all keyblades would transform.

I think we have 4-5 more left to be revealed. I saw some people (including KH YouTubers) expecting at least 10 Disney worlds though so they could definitely be disappointed.

Yeah my bet is 7 Disney Worlds. I don't see it matching even KH1's 9 worlds. So long as they are as expansive as Olympus then I'll be satisfied.

The tutorial world is definitely going to be
Castle Oblivion and you wake Ventus up

Doubt it. They'd need
Aqua to have any hope of finding the Chamber of Waking and the game is supposed to start with Riku/Mickey searching for her. That and she's the only one who knows where Ven is.
I feel like they'll save that for midway through the game. I want to see it so I wouldn't complain tho.

DKHF

Yeah my bet is 7 Disney Worlds. I don't see it matching even KH1's 9 worlds. So long as they are as expansive as Olympus then I'll be satisfied.
I think it will be on par with KH1 but it's hard to say. 3 Disney worlds left to reveal between now and release seems low to me but with how dense each world is going to be 7 wouldn't surprise me and is a realistic expectation.

I think it will be on par with KH1 but it's hard to say. 3 Disney worlds left to reveal between now and release seems low to me but with how dense each world is going to be 7 wouldn't surprise me and is a realistic expectation.

They also have to properly show us Tangled and Big Hero 6.

Supast4r

Bummer. I was pretty looking forward to the idea of the game throwing you into the Hercules MoM exam and things escalating from the get go. I'm not particulary a fan of Twilight Town, I didn't even want it back in KH3, and now it's the opener.
100 percent the game starts you off playing as Kairi training with Lea.

The Lamp

Bizarre. So there are attack forms and defense forms, but will the keyblades still be objectively better than each other in power? Why would I want to use the Toy Story keyblade if it's weaker than the later blades? Is my incentive supposed to be just the form despite it being weaker in strength or magic? Or could the "attack form" seen by the Toy Story keyblade be accessible in later keys? Are there ultimate defense and attack key blades in the end game? So many questions about that now. Interesting, nonetheless.

Interesting that he words the current story as complicated. At least he isn't oblivious to it

I feel like a lot of the convolution is stuff he was pressured into by the company. I don't think he always intended to make games for several platforms that all needed their own stories and gameplay systems yet were somehow connected. I mean, the company itself approved of bullshit names like "KH II.8," they're in on the madness too.

Tsunamo

Bizarre. So there are attack forms and defense forms, but will the keyblades still be objectively better than each other in power? Why would I want to use the Toy Story keyblade if it's weaker than the later blades? Is my incentive supposed to be just the form despite it being weaker in strength or magic? Or could the "attack form" seen by the Toy Story keyblade be accessible in later keys? Are there ultimate defense and attack key blades in the end game? So many questions about that now. Interesting, nonetheless.

It'll be interesting to see how they approach it. There's always been stat increases making most of the other ones mostly redundant, but with how focus they have on gameplay this time around and changing it up it makes you wonder if they wont changeup the stats but instead just the playstyle this time around.

raven777

I have been thinking about this ever since the concept of keyblade transformations/forms were tied to the keyblade itself. They could either do:
a)not have any strength attributed to the keyblade itself but have Sora's level determine the strength (and making something like hammer attacks stronger than normal keyblade attacks in each blows)
b) have some sort of keyblade growth system where you can level up keyblade to make it stronger.

Would be shame to have same keyblade stats system as KH1/2 and making earlier keyblades less viable.

well keyblade stats in KH2 kinda became useless as you mainly used a keyblade for it's ability and not it's stats so it may not be that big of a deal

still hopefully they did do some thing smart with this, either balance out all keyblade stats as so they are all some what even, or have a system where keyblades level up like Re:Coded

Top Bottom