• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NorCal Regionals 10 | Fighting game tournament | March 24-25

kirblar

I think that the problem is it's in a weird uncomfortable place between UMVC3 and AE2012.

It doesn't quite have the wildness and craziness of something like UMVC3 but it seems to lack the tension of something like AE2012.

It may be a function of the currently low damage but even though the combos are long and somewhat interesting there are so many ultimately inconsequential hits that you have that problem that some combos have in Marvel where you feel like you're waiting for the combo to end.

I'm coming at this from a strictly spectator POV though, so if the players enjoy it as it is, more power to 'em.
In Tekken, one hit into a long combo string can absolutely murder you. The system encourages you to do those long combos, but on the flipside, the scaling punishes you hard for doing them. Reversals in this game also do next to no damage (relative to SF4) and so the game's in this weird place where you want to be doing short, high-damage combos to maximize damage output. Hence- Zangief/Hugo EVERYWHERE. (Or DORIYA DORIYA DORIYA if you have godlike execution)

Shouta

In Tekken, one hit into a long combo string can absolutely murder you. The system encourages you to do those long combos, but on the flipside, the scaling punishes you hard for doing them. Reversals in this game also do next to no damage (relative to SF4) and so the game's in this weird place where you want to be doing short, high-damage combos to maximize damage output. Hence- Zangief/Hugo EVERYWHERE.

Well, a lot of characters have pretty solid damage combos that are easy and pretty much free if you can get the setup. It's just no one used them at NCR tonight, for the most part. I saw Combofiend do a few combo setups with Julia/King which did ok damage but he kinda flailed with him anyway. I think it was Crackfiend that pulled out Kuma to troll someone in the Pools but holy shit, Kuma does so much damage if you land even a jab. f.lp into Kuma's BnB is 383 damage, that's 40% of most character's life. More if I tack on EXs, Supers, or Cross assaults.

Effective use of those combos plus mixing in switches and the like will increase the damage done. Switch cancel combos like you saw tonight actually do less on the whole and waste meter.

Chavelo

Knives vs PR Balrog: Fate of the Dropped Combos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMKHANv1IM

Hopefully NCR starts using this clip for their promos instead of using footage of Daigo getting bodied on a game he didn't really pick up. :D

Also, can we just give a tag to Spooky's account with "GDLK" already? I mean, really. Motherfucker deserves it.

Vice

Though I don't own it, I can see so many fundamental problems with SFxTK that's putting it in the "state" that it's in now in terms of some of the lukewarm reception for spectating.

Too much health/too little damage causing time outs, and lack of immediacy or pressure in matches, which doesn't help considering a lot of players are already carrying over very defensive play from SF. Overall matches and sets take forever and draw out game length significantly. Gem system ruined by shoddy implementation (including DLC gems) with after-the-fact fixes coming to the most interesting part of the game. Gem system further ruined by a gross, unnecessary over complication of choices that is unrefined and has created further selection problems. Combos sit between familiar strings in SF and some crazier stuff in UMvC3, which may be a bit disorienting for some to get used to, or find entertaining. A slight, but not really predominant sense of "use whatever is good right now" mentality with character choices going on right now reminiscent of late MvC3/early UMvC3.

List goes on. The game is, fundamentally, something that isn't spectator friendly. And will continue not to be unless some fundamentals are changed, most of which is unlikely. Yeah the game can evolve and become more interesting, but the chance of picking up new viewers diminishes too as time goes on, gotta strike while the iron is hot. I give it a shot just like every other fighting game I spectate but it almost feels like a chore to watch.

This game has more than enough damage. Two-three day one combos will kill any character. Once people figure out the damaging low hit combos most games will be over within 30-50 seconds.

Knives vs PR Balrog: Fate of the Dropped Combos

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jJMKHANv1IM

Hopefully NCR starts using this clip for their promos instead of using footage of Daigo getting bodied on a game he didn't really pick up. :D

They should show dat Gouken hype next year. That shit was amazing.

But they seem less interested in actual highlights than a desire to show NorCal players either winning or doing dumb stuff ala Lamerboi.

sleepykyo

That's because people were trying to get in on him and weren't trying to outlame him. In any case MvC2 had tons of time outs and that game was hype, so time outs is a minor concern to the fact that if Infiltration's style gets picked up by more people SFxT is finished as a spectator game.

NorCal is one of the most unoriginal, homogenous places as far as character variety goes, I always have a hard time watching TNT when that place is infested by trenchcoats and Strider.
That´s just mean .

kirblar

Interesting twitter talks. Noel (and James Chen) saying Marvel > SfxT, but Justin (and Ricky Ortiz) is really standing up for SFxT.

https://twitter.com/#!/NoelBHungry/status/184138063327412226

https://twitter.com/#!/JWonggg/status/184157831455449088

https://twitter.com/#!/JWonggg/status/184158113308479489
They like the consistency factor. But just because it lets them win more consistently doesn't mean it's the more fun game to play. Poker and M:TG are exciting games precisely because of the variance in them allows an idiot to win occasionally.

Chavelo

speechless.gif

Azure J

They should show dat Gouken hype next year. That shit was amazing.

But they seem less interested in actual highlights than a desire to show NorCal players either winning or doing dumb stuff ala Lamerboi.

I really need to see this Gouken stuff, like now. :lol

Gouken is my favorite non-Makoto character in SF.

Bizazedo

Imo meter should be used more for the team hypers that take away all "red health" of the character being hit. Or at least combo into hyper since even that generates no healable health from those hits.

A lot of players seem to be burning meter on bad combos.

I'm probably wrong.

Either way, I also think it should be 2vs2. 1vs1 so far is zzzzz.

Shouta

Imo meter should be used more for the team hypers that take away all "red health" of the character being hit. Or at least combo into hyper since even that generates no healable health from those hits.

A lot of players seem to be burning meter on bad combos.

I'm probably wrong.

Either way, I also think it should be 2vs2. 1vs1 so far is zzzzz.

Nope, you're not wrong at all. Lots of them were burning meters for switch combos which don't really do very good damage compared to some of the stuff you can do with a single character. At least that's true for the Tekken side. The Street Fighter side needs a little more switching to dish more damage but fewer switches and bigger hits would help a lot more.

easy possible solutions

animations need to stop timers
add 20-30 more real time seconds
more time recovering health
possibly more meter gain for things like alpha counter (so jab pressure isn't so dominant and auto-pilot).

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
To be honest a lot of the online players are better at sf x tekken than the stuff I was seeing for the most part at NCR. A few people are getting the right ideas though, floe for one I can tell the game is clicking for him.

XF3 is a balance flaw, not a design flaw.

Like really. Who cares if (U)MVC3 way less balanced than STXT, it's still fun to play and spectate.
The craziness, randomness, comebacks, fancy combos, innovative set-ups, and even dropped combos in clutch moments make UMVC3 exciting to spectate.

I like STXT and find it fun to play right now, but the lack of character variety and combo variety made NCRT10's STXT tourney boring to watch outside of a few Chris G and Floe matches.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Combofiend for instance never did julia's max damage tag in combo. He just did the one that was easier but it has more hits so it scales really bad

I like STXT and find it fun to play right now, but the lack of character variety and combo variety made NCRT10's STXT tourney boring to watch outside of a few Chris G and Floe matches.

1. WW|Infiltration (Ryu, Rolento)
2. FC|NYChrisG (Xiaoyu, Hwoarang)
3. EG|fLoE (Jin, Rufus)
4. coL.cc|Combofiend (Julia, King)
5. Lamerboi (Guile, Rufus)
5. LPN (Cammy, Rufus | Others)
7. Jimmy Tran (Rolento, Kazuya)
7. ClakeyD (Zangief, Hugo)

9. EG|Ricky Ortiz (Chun-Li, Rufus)
9. ShadyK (Hwoarang, Akuma)
9. 200 Yen (Rufus, Zangief)
9. LU|Alex Valle (Kazuya, Ryu)
13. coL.cc|Filipino Champ (Rolento, Dhalsim)
13. PR Balrog (Kazuya, Ryu)
13. Pop187 (Ryu, Guile)
13. Crackfiend (Rolento, Heihachi | Others)

o_O what to many rufus or ryus? This is about on par with marvel in character variety

kirblar

Like really. Who cares if (U)MVC3 way less balanced than STXT, it's still fun to play and spectate.
The craziness, randomness, comebacks, fancy combos, innovative set-ups, and even dropped combos in clutch moments make UMVC3 exciting to spectate.

I would actually argue UMvC3 is one of the most balanced games ever created. (setting aside Level 3 X-Factor.) The fact that almost every character can just obliterate you somehow is awesome.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
I would actually argue UMvC3 is one of the most balanced games ever created. (setting aside Level 3 X-Factor.) The fact that almost every character can just obliterate you somehow is awesome.

Problem is some of the other characters need xfactor as anchor to be anchor material

Gems make SFxT 10x better. It's just a shame the setup is the way it is.
I 95% agree with you, but there is some really stupid shit. It will be banned in tourney play once gems are allowed anyways so no biggie

sleepykyo

easy possible solutions

possibly more meter gain for things like alpha counter (so jab pressure isn't so dominant and auto-pilot).
No .Then people just alpha counter everything. Plenty of meter if it isn't wasted on 50pt switch cancels.

Yes‚ on the timer freeze for supers and the cross super.

So no Japanese shows up for the first SFxT major and a foreigner still takes it. Well congrats to Infiltration. It looks like the trip over here was worth it for him and Laugh. I thought he and Laugh were apart of Ryan Hart's new team Western Wolves(which is a affiliate of Low Land Lions) but they didn't carry the tag with them.

And I see that the game isn't sounding too popular from the spectator point of view. I don't know how or if they can fix that. I definitely think the game is fun and a lot of people like playing it. This game will bring in 150+ regularly so it's not going to go away, so I hope something can be done to create more excitement for it.

DRE Fei

easy possible solutions

Gems (which aren't being used at these things) make the game so much better. If the selection process wasn't such a pain, they would be using them and things could be very different. Throw on some power gems for that damage or use some meter gems for that alpha counter. I agree that the game needs about 30 extra seconds on the clock though.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Gems (which aren't being used at these things) make the game so much better. If the selection process wasn't such a pain, they would be using them and things could be very different. Throw on some power gems for that damage or use some meter gems for that alpha counter. I agree that the game needs about 30 extra seconds on the clock though.

They should just default every char 3 damage gems. =P

The problem is DLC gems.
I honestly don't think gems will change that much unless the time issue is addressed.

Also when I said more meter gain, i meant a slight meter gain. Not something where you're always rocking 2/3 bars at any point of the fight.

kirblar

The problem is DLC gems.
I honestly don't think gems will change that much unless the time issue is addressed.

Also when I said more meter gain, i meant a slight meter gain. Not something where you're always rocking 2/3 bars at any point of the fight.
It really feels like EX moves cost too much meter right now. :-/

Yeah broski. The fact that almost any character can be feasible in competitive play with the right team synergy is pretty dope.

The fact that certain top tier characters are easier to play than most of the cast and the unfair x-factor lvl3 comebacks (especially those done with characters who require no effort to do it with) is kinda off putting.

They should just default every char 3 damage gems. =P

It would benefit heavy hitting characters more than zoning/pressure characters. Hugo can already do 500 dmg meterless and 700 with meter. Do you really think he needs a boost in dmg considering a good portion of the cast has only 900 health?

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
The problem is DLC gems.

People need to learn to dash cancel specials to charge meter in the times it's safe too as well

Shouta

It really feels like EX moves cost too much meter right now. :-/

Some characters build meter quick though like Law. He builds meter like crazy off his Fury Fist Rush. He literally drowns in it. It makes his damage potential really high too. I can get a 500 damage combo for every 3rd cr.mp or cr.mk I connect with.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Part of me wants SFxTK to succeed simply because it's unpopular with spectators. I don't even care about the game itself.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Screw that I´m running Chun-Li and Cammy . Damage gems are meaningless but the fortitude and defense gems are life savers. Ex donkey kick ? 100 pts off the follow up.

You're a part of the problem, man!!

I've already went over why SFxT is ass in the SFxT thread, but I guess you guys can add that it's horrible to watch people play to the list. Floe had a few worthy moments at NCR, but besides that SFxT was boremania.

DR2K

Banned
SFxTk just needs to be opened up. Full roster, all the quirky costumes/stages/colors, all the gems, months of patches, play testing, and rebalances, etc. . . I think there's something special there, but Capcom is dead set on holding the game hostage for money.

Vice

Frank "Trashman" Reynolds;36366281 said:
I've already went over why SFxT is ass in the SFxT thread, but I guess you guys can add that it's horrible to watch people play to the list. Floe had a few worthy moments at NCR, but besides that SFxT was boremania.

That's because Floe and a couple of other guys are playing the game in a more proper fashion. The game is nearly as fast paced as SSF2T.

Just finished watching SFxT finals at NCR. Man Infiltration just bodied everybody free. Especially Chris "I thought this game was 1v1" G. And lol at Weirdo Neo for taunting the crowd with the Korean flag and doing the Juri belly dance at the end. I didn't even realized he was there.

smurfx

get some go again
wonder why chris g changed his line up when it was working better before. is he letting all the people who hate zoning get to him? if he likes playing that way then fuck anybody that doesn't like it. my player rep got destroyed on xbox live because idiots would leave negative feedback because they hated zoning but that didn't make me change my style.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Marvel's a fun game and it's more entertaining to watch than SFxT by far. But saying that Marvel is a good competitive game ranks right up there with such blatant falsehoods as "the sky is green" and "Rick Santorum would be a good president."

I kinda laugh whenever a big tournament is going on and the commentators mention all the "upsets" that have happened in Marvel. "People are really stepping their games up!" they tend to say. Right. It's totally that, and totally not because Marvel is random enough that, once you get to a certain point, those fools might as well be playing dice.

SFxT has problems for sure and it's definitely not as spectator-friendly as Marvel, but I think the idea that it's not as good of a competitive game as Marvel is kinda funny.

Top Bottom