• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Norcal Regionals 2015 - Fighting Game Tournament - April 3rd - 5th

Aruarian Reflection

Chauffeur de la gdlk
Is their a Gaf thread for beginners on how to maybe one day enter a competitive fighting tournament ?

Anybody can enter a fighting game tournament, since almost all of them are open registration. Being good enough to make it out of pools is another story. If you're new, I would encourage checking out any nearby weekly sessions or local tournaments. You can poke around the regional forums at Shoryuken to learn about your local scene

Renekton

Not sure. Kazunoko has made Daigo look free the last 2 times they faced, but Daigo had a streak of beating Kazunoko before those matches. Daigo is also really strong in ft3s.

Everytime people state that Daigo sucks at short sets they need to keep in mind that he's only been underwhelming in 2/3s. At Capcom Asia Finals and Topanga League Daigo went 16-2 vs the very best players in 3/5.
He has a very odd kryptonite though... basic-style Ryu users. Dat low-forward 2f.

PIE Sci streaming now.

Talking about what Happened to Kaz.

Do you guys think he would have beat Daigo if they had run into each other? No wrong patch Bullshit.

Daigo looked like this old self today man. I don't anyone in that tournament can beat daigo today. He was at the top of his game. Old man daigo was not present today. Yung Daigo mode was activated.

OceanBlue

Does anyone know if Fuudo has a good track record against Evil Ryu Daigo? I don't remember seeing them meet in tournament recently to be honest.

pixelish

http://capcomprotour.com/premier-to...zdaigo-umehara-qualifies-for-capcom-cup-2015/

NorCal Regionals 2015 was stacked with many of the world’s top players that weren’t at this weekend’s other Capcom Pro Tour Premier Tournament, Hypespotting 4. Even some technical issue shenanigans couldn’t dampen the hype. Other surprises included Marq Teddy’s Guy eliminating RZR|Fuudo and fantastic Abel play from 801Strider, who put EG|Momochi into the Losers Bracket and got very close to eliminating Bonchan in a very hard fought match. Also very surprising was EG|Momochi’s uncharacteristically early elimination by AVM|Gamerbee, finishing in 9th Place.

this is what capcom have to say about the incident.

DigiMish

Least hypest grand finals in a long while. Gamerbee just didn't know what to do. Some of the people here would have did more damage to Daigo than he did. He needs to go back to the drawing board for that matchup.

Against Kazunoko, Gamerbee always seems to do very well against him. Even when he lost (after sending him to losers) in SXSW, he makes it really close. I notice that, unlike other players. Gamerbee pre-emptively stuff Kazunokos divekick and jump-ins with neutral jumps, and it prevents any divekick pressure. Gamerbee has a habit of blowing himself up though by pressing buttons, but I think he has a very good neutral game (when your name is not Daigo...).

Does anyone know if Fuudo has a good track record against Evil Ryu Daigo? I don't remember seeing them meet in tournament recently to be honest.

Daigo lost to Fuudo at FR, but before that Daigo was winning everything against Fuudo for like 3 straight years. He had that matchup figured out as Ryu.

I think the only player that could have stopped Daigo was Momochi. He was the only one to beat him in a ft3 at Topanga League after all.

edit: Nevermind. I think Infiltration would have beaten Daigo with Decapre.

OceanBlue

Against Kazunoko, Gamerbee always seems to do very well against him. Even when he lost (after sending him to losers) in SXSW, he makes it really close. I notice that, unlike other players. Gamerbee pre-emptively stuff Kazunokos with neutral jumps, and it prevents any divekick pressure. Gamerbee has a habit of blowing himself up though by pressing buttons, but I think he has a very good neutral game (when your name is not Daigo...).

Other players try to get the advantage on Kazunoko with neutral jumps too and Kazunoko takes advantage of that a lot by divekicking when they land or using it to get a st.MP or cr.MK in. That's why I thought it was really cool that Gamerbee did neutral jump DP to close out a round.

jett

D-Member
Watched an awful quality video of the top 8 on youtube.

Nice to see Diego Umejuarez winning something. He was really on fire last night, total destruction.

pixelish

bahahahahaa
CB4Vf9-UMAANpOC.jpg

hitsugi

Least hypest grand finals in a long while. Gamerbee just didn't know what to do. Some of the people here would have did more damage to Daigo than he did. He needs to go back to the drawing board for that matchup.

This has happened before. Daigo ran a train on Gamerbee the first time they ran into each other as E.Ryu vs Adon.. the next time, Gamerbee took it pretty convincingly. This time? History repeats.

zlatko

Banned
I didn't get to see the end due to having to go to bed. I probably missed all of the hype matches.

I still think that little "oopsy" is a giant one, and I feel most of the SF4 tournament was tarnished thanks to it. We got some great matches out of it, and as a stream monster that's all I can really ask for.

I'd be pissed if I was Kazunoko though lol.

hitsugi

I didn't get to see the end due to having to go to bed. I probably missed all of the hype matches.

I still think that little "oopsy" is a giant one, and I feel most of the SF4 tournament was tarnished thanks to it. We got some great matches out of it, and as a stream monster that's all I can really ask for.

I'd be pissed if I was Kazunoko though lol.

Yeah he got fucked over with that. The only match that played out differently. Then again, everything would have changed if that match stayed.

zlatko

Banned
That soul snatch. Smug looked like he wanted to quit SF after that match.

Time to ask Justin W. to play him as Adon since J Wong has a solid Adon to hopefully learn that match up. Adon being able to blow up focus attacks so easily cuts off a good chunk of what Dudley needs to get in against a lot of characters in footsies.

mbpm1

Time to ask Justin W. to play him as Adon since J Wong has a solid Adon to hopefully learn that match up. Adon being able to blow up focus attacks so easily cuts off a good chunk of what Dudley needs to get in against a lot of characters in footsies.

Gamerbee played Elena against him, not Adon.

Smug actually doesn't seem to have problems with Adon right now.

mbpm1

Oh snap. I didn't know that.

I would've thought that'd be a 5-5. Dang.

Elena has 3f cr. short that reaches like 2 squares in training room and is impossible to whiff punish and lead to big damage and knockdown as well as high/low game on wakeup which leads to big damage and knockdown.

Dudley has no answers to lows, relies on whiff punishing, and has not great defense on wkaeup.

That's basically all she wrote.

Elena has 3f cr. short that reaches like 2 squares in training room and is impossible to whiff punish and lead to big damage and knockdown as well as high/low game on wakeup which leads to big damage and knockdown.

Dudley has no answers to lows, relies on whiff punishing, and has not great defense on wkaeup.

That's basically all she wrote.

shhhhhhhhhhhh

elena is a bad char stop it slime

One last observation about all the redo's. Every loser adapted and made things closer than compared to the 1st set

Justin vs Gamerbee
1st game: Justin took it quite easily
2nd game: Gamerbee had Justin on the ropes, taking the 1st game and the 1st round of the 2nd game. Justin held on to take it but it was extremely close.

Daigo vs 801 Strider
1st game: Daigo took it rather convincingly
2nd game: Deja vu, Strider got off to a really good start and had Daigo at match point. But Daigo turned SSJ God just in time and was unbeatable the rest of the tournament.

Kazunoko vs Knuckledu
1st game: Very close and infact when to a 4th game after the 3rd ended in a draw. Kaz won that last game rather easily though.
2nd game: Knuckledu adapts and leaves Kazunoko clueless as to what to do. Leaving Kazunoko the only winner of the previous sets to lose the runback

Poongko vs Smug
1st game Duff City, nuff said
2nd game: Seth has more life now so Smug needed to do more damage to kill him. And well uh, man Kazunoko got fucking robbed did he not?

Again I wasn't happy with them forcing everybody to replay the matches. It was unfortunate that they had the wrong version, but the guys who won already worked their ass off to earn that victory. I don't think that should be taken back.

Top Bottom