• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Noriyoshi Ohrai Passed Away (Illustrator for Star Wars, Godzilla, Metal Gear, Koei)

miku

3uTwIxA.jpg

From cgm
Noriyoshi Ohrai known for his work on illistrations for the Japanese re-release of the original Star Wars Trilogy has passed away at the age of 79. He died at Miyazaki Prefecture kunitomi hospital of pneumonia.

Noriyoshi Ohrai left a legacy having worked on art for the Metal Gear series. Recently his work was seen in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots. He also worked on many major creative works in Japan including art for Godzilla along with other gaming brands. He was known to be a private individual with very little information about his personal life made public.

From Hideo Kojima
僕は生頼範義さんのイラストで育った。生頼さんのイラストと挿絵で本を読み、生頼さんのポスターで映画を観た。いつか自分の作品が世に出る事があれば生頼さんにお願いしたい!それが子供の頃の夢だった。生頼さんにはMGSやANUBISのイラストを描いていただきました。ありがとうございました。

From Metal Gear Wiki
Noriyoshi Ohrai (born in 1935 in Hyōgo Prefecture, Japan) is a Japanese illustrator. Ohrai is best known for creating the posters for the original trilogy of Star Wars in Japan. Ohrai has also created artwork for the Metal Gear series, though these pieces had a limited release and are hard to come by. Many of them can be seen in Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots in Act 3 when Old Snake meets Big Mama. Ohrai is a very private individual, with very little information about him published.

From JP Wikipedia
映画
『スター・ウォーズ 帝国の逆襲』(1980年) - 国際版ポスター
『FUTURE WAR 198X年』(1982年) - イメージイラスト
『ミラクルマスター/七つの大冒険』(1982年) - ポスター
ゴジラシリーズ - ポスター
『ゴジラ』(1984年)
『ゴジラvsビオランテ』(1989年)
『ゴジラvsキングギドラ』(1991年)
『ゴジラvsモスラ』(1992年)
『ゴジラvsメカゴジラ』(1993年)
『ゴジラvsスペースゴジラ』(1994年)
『ゴジラvsデストロイア』(1995年)
『ゴジラ×メガギラス G消滅作戦』(2000年)
『ゴジラ FINAL WARS』(2004年)
『日本沈没』(2006年) - ポスター

ゲーム
蒼き狼と白き牝鹿シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『蒼き狼と白き牝鹿・ジンギスカン』(1987年)
『蒼き狼と白き牝鹿・元朝秘史』(1992年)
信長の野望シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『信長の野望・戦国群雄伝』(1988年)
『信長の野望・武将風雲録』(1990年)
『信長の野望・覇王伝』(1992年)
『信長の野望・天翔記』(1994年)
三國志シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『三國志II』(1989年)
『三國志III』(1992年)
『三國志IV』(1994年)
提督の決断シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『提督の決断』(1989年)
『提督の決断II』(1993年)
『提督の決断III』(1996年)
大航海時代シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『大航海時代』(1990年)
『大航海時代II』(1993年)
太閤立志伝シリーズ(コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『太閤立志伝』(1992年)
『太閤立志伝II』(1995年)
『維新の嵐』(1988年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『水滸伝・天命の誓い』(1989年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『ランペルール』(1990年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『ロイヤルブラッド』(1991年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『項劉記』(1993年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『独立戦争 Liberty or Death』(1993年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『源平合戦』(1994年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『プロジェネター』(1994年、コーエー) - パッケージイラスト
『モン★スタートラベラー』(2002年、タイトー) - パッケージイラスト

http://www.sankei.com/west/news/151027/wst1510270075-n1.html
http://www.asahi.com/articles/ASHBW66NPHBWTNAB018.html

EDIT 2: I suck at making thread

EDIT: Mess up the title... can Mod fix it?

Eolz

Damn.
Absolutely loved his work, whether it was for video games (Koei) or movies. Superb work on everything he has worked on. Really recommend his recent compilation artbook btw, way cheaper than what it's worth (look up his name and "Green Universe", name of the book).

A goddamn legend. I own a bunch of his Godzilla posters and one from A New Hope I picked up a few years ago.

Just beautiful pieces.

RIP.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
dude left a legacy of amazing art. I always wondered who did all those cool layered pictures with asymmetrical focal points. Shame I didn't know his name till this thread and it's under the circumstance of his passing no less. rest in peace.

Xun

I'm working on a piece of MGS artwork at the moment which is partially inspired by his work.

What a loss of a great talent.

RIP

This man drew the best Star Wars poster the world has ever seen. And there have been a lot of them.

G30oole.jpg

Used in Japan, Australia, and got an anniversary print in the US. One of my favorite movie posters ever, and I don't even love Star Wars.

DieH@rd

Banned
This man drew the best Star Wars poster the world has ever seen. And there have been a lot of them.

G30oole.jpg

Used in Japan, Australia, and got an anniversary print in the US. One of my favorite movie posters ever, and I don't even love Star Wars.

Yeah, that is amazing.

And let us not forget his Mad Max 2 poster
e772d6996c44932485d01fa6cca16dd0.jpg

Tizoc

RIP. Still laughing at the MGS2 promo art. Fortune's breasts and Snake's eyes look hilarious, for some reason.

Snake looks like a zombie and Fortune's breast look like torpedoes she could fire from her chest :V

G30oole.jpg

Empire strikes back is my fav. of the original trilogy, and this is a fantastic poster.

Chairhome

G30oole.jpg

Starwars.com did a release of a remastered poster of this art and i just missed it, i had been looking for it ever since. I settled for a reprint of the original poster as shown above, still my favorite SW art.

RIP legend

Dremark

Banned
Don't know the guy, but his art is really impressive. It's unfortunate he's no longer around to continue it, but it seems like he lived a long life and left a legacy of high quality of art behind. Rest in peace.

Starwars.com did a release of a remastered poster of this art and i just missed it, i had been looking for it ever since. I settled for a reprint of the original poster as shown above, still my favorite SW art.

RIP legend

The anniversary reprint is beautiful. I have the 40th anniversary remaster, but I don't have it up anymore. Still one of those things in happy to have.

Top Bottom