• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North American Nintendo Switch Lineup

HardRojo

Why are people bringing up the PS4 launch? That console launched more than three years ago, not in the middle of a gen.

All the more reason to have more third party games readily available I'd say, which is baffling. The PS4 launch was brought up because apparently it "lacked" games, which in fact it did not, there were at least 4 interesting games for mass appeal in that launch, unlike the Switch which, honestly, only has Zelda at launch as a big contender. I'd count Bomberman but it being $60 (not confirmed I think) isn't a good sign.

Why are people bringing up the PS4 launch? That console launched more than three years ago, not in the middle of a gen.

Well, besides the # of games available at launch, the PS4 launched at the same price the Switch is launching at, 3.5 years later.

EDIT - actually, I'm wrong. PS4 launched for $399.

Still, those games!

RoKKeR

I honestly cannot believe that Mario Kart isn't coming until 2 months after launch.

I got a pre order in yesterday and I want to keep it but man, just so barren.

Abysmal lineup, maybe one of the worst launch lineups I've seen in my time. If I were getting one at launch it'd be only Zelda until Holiday season? Nah, I can just wait till Black Friday for a deal or bundle with Mario. CEMU for Zelda and I'm not even missing out on anything.

With how barren the 3DS and Wii U lineups have been the past two years there really is no excuse for this mess. I don't get what Nintendo's dev teams have been doing.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Like what? Ryse? Knack? Yearly sports games?

People were memeing PS4 HAS NO GAMES for months. Saying they had good launch games is revisionist bullshit.
Look, it's not amazing, but there are some genuinely good games that launched on PS4. Yes, some were ports of old games, but there was at least a lot of them. Here are some good games.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Killzone Shadow Fall (I maintain that this is excellent)
Need for Speed Rivals
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Trine 2: Complete Story
Warframe

Yeah, certainly not amazing, but a really good Assassin's Creed? BF4? A great NFS game? Resogun?! Those are solid titles.

It's a mediocre launch but the only shining star for Switch is Zelda. That's a heck of a launch title and probably better than any of those PS4 titles but...the rest is pretty awful.

El Topo

You get me wrong, I'm saying that context matters. Just pointing at the PS4 launch and going "See? That one did not launch with anything great" is pointless. Totally different context.

HardRojo

A Wario Ware game would've been so amazing to have at launch, I wish they had worked on that instead of that weird title called 1, 2, Switch.

GamerJM

Banned
Speaking of bad PlayStation launches, what about the PS3 one? It only had Resistance which was supposedly disappointing, and then multiplats that were better on 360. And the thing was SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. Worse than Switch IMO

Ironballs

Not bad. Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon within the 1st few months. Miles ahead of 3DS which only had Nintendogs, Street fighter 4, and Pilotwings Resort for the first 5 months. Should be an interesting E3.

totowhoa

Banned
This is incredibly unfortunate.

If I wasn't a massive Splatoon fan, I'd get Zelda on Wii U and just wait to get a Switch in the fall when there's a better deal.

I guess they're lucky that this Zelda looks amazing and very few people own a Wii U. But woof... if lapsed Nintendo fans do show up and get a Switch for it, I wouldn't be surprised if we start seeing a lot of used Switches out there mid-to-late this year.

Zesh

Another thing, what is with all of these ridiculously high priced games that should be $20 digital titles?

Super Bomberman R is $60
Minecraft is $60
1, 2, Switch is $50
Ultra Street Fighter 2 is $40
Puyo Puyo Tetris is $40

These prices are absurd. Has Nintendo lost their minds? They're sending this thing out to die.

You can't be serious, right? Almost every launch since the Wii has not even had a killer app. Yeah this isn't great but it has Zelda and that's far more than any launch has had in a very long time.

PS4 had jack shit to buy with launch. Resogun was basically the best game on it for months. Xbox One had Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. Hardly anything to get excited about.

Yes but they're launching in a world where the PS4 exists with lots of game choices. When the PS4 launched we were starving to get off of last gen which went on way too long. They do have a great release game but it's also available on the WiiU.

Speaking of bad PlayStation launches, what about the PS3 one? It only had Resistance which was supposedly disappointing, and then multiplats that were better on 360. And the thing was SIX HUNDRED DOLLARS. Worse than Switch IMO

True. I think the lesson is never buy a console at launch.

Look, it's not amazing, but there are some genuinely good games that launched on PS4. Yes, some were ports of old games, but there was at least a lot of them. Here are some good games.

Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag
Battlefield 4
Flower
Injustice: Gods Among Us - Ultimate Edition
Killzone Shadow Fall (I maintain that this is excellent)
Need for Speed Rivals
Resogun
Sound Shapes
Trine 2: Complete Story
Warframe

Yeah, certainly not amazing, but a really good Assassin's Creed? BF4? A great NFS game? Resogun?! Those are solid titles.

It's a mediocre launch but the only shining star for Switch is Zelda. That's a heck of a launch title and probably better than any of those PS4 titles but...the rest is pretty awful.

Warframe is my favorite game right now. That was a launch title? Damn now that is a great launch lineup.

These prices are absurd. Has Nintendo lost their minds? They're sending this thing out to die.

shhh, watch my hand and clear your mind of all distractions and focus on the joy you now feel

*snap*

schaft0620

Bringing up the PS4's launch lineup doesn't make the Switch launch not shit. The thing is a glorified Zelda box for it's first two months and then a re-release of Mario Kart comes out.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
You get me wrong, I'm saying that context matters. Just pointing at the PS4 launch and going "See? That one did not launch with anything great" is pointless. Totally different context.
Which context?

I feel Nintendo is dropping the ball here by launching before they have more games ready. That's all I'm saying. It would be completely different if they waited until Mario Kart 8 and ARMS were ready, for instance. Not game changers, but those are very solid releases that would mean at least a handful of excellent launch titles.

Someone suggested that the PS4 lineup was just as bad or worse. I'm saying that it wasn't. That's all.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
If Nintendo fanboys are trying to defend the launch line up by comparing it to the PS4 launch line up then you know it's very bad indeed.

What the fuck have Nintendo been doing all this time?

opricnik

Banned
Not bad. Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon within the 1st few months. Miles ahead of 3DS which only had Nintendogs, Street fighter 4, and Pilotwings Resort for the first 5 months. Should be an interesting E3.
Didnt it also had brand new 2 resident evil game for it one at launch one at few months later?

The amount of mental gymnastics going on in here to discredit the PS4 launch line up to try and justify Nintendo's piss poor showing. Why is the comparison being made in the first place? Sony hadn't spent the last couple of years publishing minimal amounts of software on their previous flagship console. Using this as some kind of 'gotcha' doesn't make the Switch line up any less acceptable, and when Switch doesn't sell anywhere near what the PS4 does, the comparisons are going to look even more ridiculous.

This looks far better than the Wii U first year. Zelda BOTW, Splatoon 2, Arms, Mario, and Xenoblade 2 already make it much better in comparison.

I'm also expecting some smaller titles will still be announced for the second half of the year at e3.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if Xenoblade 2 and Mario slipped to 2018. Regardless, they're going to face a really uphill battle with the game and accessory prices and lack of must-have exclusive titles for months.

Edit: 3DS had such a horrible launch period that they had to massively drop it in price and offer the ambassador program. With the shortage of 3DS systems and Wii U not selling, they're going to really struggle for a while if they don't have a strong launch.

Besides Mario, literally nothing that excites me from Nintendo on that list. 2018, with the price drop and release of other titles will be my time get it. Can't trust third party for support

I have a switch and Zelda pre-ordered, but this might be the first Nintendo console I don't get at launch... Ever.

I mean, remember that horrible Wii-U launch?

Assassin’s Creed III
Batman: Arkham City Armored Edition
Ben 10: Omniverse
Call of Duty: Black Ops II
Darksiders II
Disney Epic Mickey 2: The Power of Two
FIFA Soccer 13
Sports Connection
Family Party 30
Funky Barn
Game Party Champions
Just Dance 4
Mass Effect 3: Special Edition
New Super Mario Bros. U
Nintendo Land
Rabbids Land
Skylanders Giants
Sonic and All-Stars Racing Transformed
Tank! Tank! Tank!
Tekken Tag Tournament 2: Wii U Edition
Transformers Prime
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 2013
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper
ZombiU

Well, it's better than the Switch window...

trixx

Bringing up the PS4's launch lineup doesn't make the Switch launch not shit. The thing is a glorified Zelda box for it's first two months and then a re-release of Mario Kart comes out.

:lol people actually defending the launch. If you have wii u theres no reason to get switch. Hopefully they have a shit load of virtual console games ready for launch.

PLEASE help me understand something. You have virtual console games from numerous platforms and can use for an advantage. Why not use that as an initiative to get people on board. Launch the console with some free virtual console games. At the very least there is SOME incentive to buying at launch.

Come on this is simple

Parapraxis

It's funny because diehard Wii-U fans would never stop comparing the current Wii-U offerings to the launch PS4/XB1 offerings...

I've enjoyed my WiiU and 1/2 dozen games I have for it that I actually found worth getting, but my PS4 still gets way more game-time and I have about 4x the games for it lol.

It's a Neo-Geo comp. Too bad, I was hoping it would have some of the other stuff available on PS4. Nothing against Neo-Geo of course, just that I probably have most of those games in other compilations or VC. Hopefully it's got some cool new features!

Ah yes, IGN has it listed from Hamster Corporation. I've been keeping an eye on their PS4 releases but find the games are priced too high to be worth it.

I already have every just about every arcade comp. on disc from PS2 onwards.

ngower

Guys, hold on to your pre-orders. No risk waiting until a week or two before launch and seeing what things look like then. We know there's a Fire Emblem Direct coming next week and I imagine there's one general Direct coming out before launch. On top of that there are things that we don't know much about likely to be explained soon (online, sharing, app integration, etc). They revealed a lot and will be tidying up loose ends and then releasing the rest of info, like they always do. No risk waiting and seeing, cancel pre-order two weeks before release and you shouldn't be charged.

kiguel182

AND the annual sports games that people buy in droves

Yup, it had something for everyone with big hitters and small titles too. Sure, it had no Zelda but that is also on the Wii U and not everyone likes Zelda. People comparing the two are delusional honestly.

Plus, PS4 had the promise of more games guaranteed both big ones and small. This party I mean.

rbenchley

Is that the worst launch line up ever? No, seriously ... that's really dismal.

N64's North American launch was worse or at least comparably bad. If I remember correctly, it was just Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings. Not a great lineup, but I'm looking forward to Zelda and Super Bomberman R.

kunonabi

After watching Treehouse Live I could totally see myself buying 1,2 Switch and Snipperclips but that just isn't enough to jump in at launch even with ARMS and Splatoon 2 coming soon after. Waiting for a revision/price drop just seems like the best bet.

Sorry Nintendo apologists, but this is fucking pathetic. I want a Switch - its a fantastic idea and looks really, really cool. But I'll wait until there are actually games I want to play.

I am not really a huge Zelda guy (I'll play it someday, but not spend $350 to do so) and Mario Kart isn't really doing it for me either.

Anyone comparing this to the PS4 launch lineup is delusional. That wasn't great, but at least there was more than one or two interesting games to play at launch.

How do they benefit from launching this in March? Is it just a financial reporting thing? Why not at least wait until April and have both Mario Kart and Zelda?

HardRojo

:lol people actually defending the launch. If you have wii u theres no reason to get switch. Hopefully they have a shit load of virtual console games ready for launch.

PLEASE help me understand something. You have virtual console games from numerous platforms and can use for an advantage. Why not use that as an initiative to get people on board. Launch the console with some free virtual console games. At the very least there is SOME incentive to buying at launch.

Come on this is simple

I was seriously expecting Splatoon, Smash Bros. and Mario Kart to be there at launch, heck even Pokkén as an incentive for people who didn't get a Wii U (basically everyone) so that newcomers could be excited to play them come launch day. Not even that lol, none of those is coming at launch with the Switch, unbelievable. VC titles at launch for special prices would've also helped a lot in softening the blow of the price, accesories, specs and the online fee, but nope, I don't really know what the hell is going on at Nintendo anymore, they're so out of touch.

Spy

I was just going to mention this, the only saving grace could be having a decent virtual console lineup but I have heard nothing.

18-Volt

This is insane. How can you blame 3rd parties? Their goal is to make money and maximize profit. Why would you take the risk of bothering with the Switch before it's proven? What would 3rd parties have to gain? Those resources would probably provide greater return and less risk on any other platform.

It's Nintendo's job to convince people to get on their platform, they haven't done it, and they're not going to.

It really isn't insane and Nintendo don't need to convince anybody. Sony and MS didn't convince anybody and they got the third party support. 3rd parties took risk supporting PS4 early on knowing that PS3 had a rough start and Vita was basically dead on arrival. Nothing is guaranteed. Plus I believe Nintendo are trying their best to convince people to support their system, but they always get rejected.

Nintendo always get rejected because of their image. Third parties see Nintendo as a toymaker instead of a videogame company and Nintendo have been trying to prove otherwise for years, by funding Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, Devil's Turd. But that image is stuck on them and there is no way getting rid of it. If you ask a western third party that why their game is not on Switch, they'd all reply same: "We don't think audience is there". They think Nintendo fans are aged between 6 and 9. They are completely wrong, that audience had migrated to smart devices years ago and Nintendo had been catering to nostalgia crowd since then.

There is only one thing Nintendo can do to have third parties attention: Having Switch sell more than Xbox One and become the number two console in short notice. Is it possible? It certainly is. But they need to dish out serious amount of money for moneyhatted projects, plus they have to put out quality first party software more often.

You just described two online-only games and an online-mostly game, two of which have their primary business model through IAP microtransaction gambling, something that it's not even clear if the Switch supports. Your pitch for these games is that they might sell a million extra copies (that would be about a 1.5% increase in overall sales for GTA5 and a maybe 3-4% increase for Overwatch) for people who want to play them on the go (something that's not technically possible because it doesn't support 4G data, unless by on the go you mean around your house, in which case, like, ...?)

Ok, bad example. But there are lots of others. How about Deus Ex? Or Hitman? Or Witcher 3?

OneUh8

Another thing, what is with all of these ridiculously high priced games that should be $20 digital titles?

Super Bomberman R is $60
Minecraft is $60
1, 2, Switch is $50
Puyo Puyo Tetris is $40

Yeah no way in hell am I paying that much for any of those games. It will be Zelda only for me and then Mario Kart when that comes. Feeling a little down on my pre-order, but I think I will keep it because Zelda does look great.

Super Bomberman R is $60
Minecraft is $60
1, 2, Switch is $50
Puyo Puyo Tetris is $40

GameStop Page said:
Product Details:
A fast paced 1 to 8 player party action game that fully utilizes the new and unique Nintendo Switch!

Pricing not confirmed by Publisher
Bomberman, the iconic party-battle game, is returning as "SUPER BOMBERMAN R" on the Nintendo Switch and will be released alongside the launch of the new system for home and on-the-go fun!

Also, I doubt Minecraft is 60 if it's universally 20 on PS4/Xbox One, 30 on Wii U and 26.95 on PC too, might just be a place holder price.

N64's North American launch was worse or at least comparably bad. If I remember correctly, it was just Super Mario 64 and Pilotwings. Not a great lineup, but I'm looking forward to Zelda and Super Bomberman R.

Huh? If Nintendo just had Super Mario 64 HD Remake as the only Switch launch title it would be much better than it is now. Outside of Zelda (which is a multiplat) there's literally fucking nothing.

That is a surprisingly minimal list to start, but keeping my eye on the system (for Fire Emblem offerings, anything newer from Capcom, Atlus, etc). I never got either Wii or Wii U but have always been into the Nintendo portables.

Very curious to see if there will be Switch versions of AAA third party games announced at E3 this year.

If not, then no one at NCL actually wants third party support.

Nintendo, MAKE ME WANT THIS SYSTEM. Make me consider it over Scorpio or PS4 Pro this year; I'm not made of money, I need to make choices! I'm sorry, but I'll take a console with all third party support over any one, including mighty Nintendo, so decent third party support (or even Gamecube levels) would make me consider spending on Switch over Scorpio/4Pro.

KoopaTheCasual

It really isn't insane and Nintendo don't need to convince anybody. Sony and MS didn't convince anybody and they got the third party support. 3rd parties took risk supporting PS4 early on knowing that PS3 had a rough start and Vita was basically dead on arrival. Nothing is guaranteed. Plus I believe Nintendo are trying their best to convince people to support their system, but they always get rejected.

Nintendo always get rejected because of their image. Third parties see Nintendo as a toymaker instead of a videogame company and Nintendo have been trying to prove otherwise for years, by funding Bayonetta 2, Fatal Frame, Devil's Turd. But that image is stuck on them and there is no way getting rid of it. If you ask a western third party that why their game is not on Switch, they'd all reply same: "We don't think audience is there". They think Nintendo fans are aged between 6 and 9. They are completely wrong, that audience had migrated to smart devices years ago and Nintendo had been catering to nostalgia crowd since then.

There is only one thing Nintendo can do to have third parties attention: Having Switch sell more than Xbox One and become the number two console in short notice. Is it possible? It certainly is. But they need to dish out serious amount of money for moneyhatted projects, plus they have to put out quality first party software more often.

Ok, bad example. But there are lots of others. How about Deus Ex? Or Hitman? Or Witcher 3?
Didn't dev kits go out to third party devs very late/only to a small handful of devs? The reason Sony and Microsoft get such strong 3rd party support is because they literally design their consoles with input from their devs. They bend over backwards to appease the devs for the promise of their support. Nintendo has a looooong history of not giving a damn about 3rd party devs (or actively screwing them over). This has squat to do with devs not liking image. Nintendo never courts devs. Sony and Microsoft do.

And good luck getting Deus Ex, Hitman, and Witcher 3 running on a console running PS3 ports....

Parapraxis

Nah, not really, 3rd parties were super hyped for PS4 and they made up the bulk of PS4's launch line-up. Sony took the right approach with 3rd parties sending Cerny out to actually find out what they wanted and to work together with them. They knew a winner when they saw it. Nintendo doesn't seem to work well with others. I think it's pretty obvious.

re 2nd highlight.... I think you're assessment's are being clouded by something.

Well at least it's a little better than the original planned sizzle real below.

IpDAgCi.gif

Anyhow still preordered one.. I think the system will shine eventually with more games. I'm in.

Top Bottom