• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina: (D)Cooper claims victory but (R)Gov. McCrory says election isn't over

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tripon

RALEIGH, N.C. - North Carolina voters have given Republicans a ringing endorsement, with one lone exception: Gov. Pat McCrory, who couldn't shake criticism of the state law limiting protections for gay people.

McCrory remained locked in a race with Democrat Roy Cooper that remained too close to call early Wednesday, hours after Republican Donald Trump and U.S. Sen. Richard Burr emerged as victors for the GOP.

With more than 4.6 million votes cast, only a few thousand separated the two rivals with Cooper holding a narrow lead that will be subject to a recount because it is so close.

"The process is continuing in North Carolina," McCrory told his supporters early Wednesday morning. "The election is not over."

McCrory held a lead for much of Tuesday night, but shortly before midnight about 90,000 votes from Durham County were reported that turned the advantage to Cooper. Those votes will be intensely scrutinized over the next several weeks to determine if they all should count. Under state law, counties will complete a canvass of all their votes Nov. 18.

http://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/mccrory-cooper-fight-for-governors-seat/465225402

Google has the race shaped up thus far:

rMyquE3.png

McCrory will ask for a recount no matter what the results of the absentee and provisional ballots are. Guess this is more of an update than a final results thread.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
What is up with this 50/50 bullshit? The fuck is this? Seriously? Everything seems to be 50/50 neck and neck all over the fucking place, how's that even possible?

samn

What is up with this 50/50 bullshit? The fuck is this? Seriously? Everything seems to be 50/50 neck and neck all over the fucking place, how's that even possible?

https://www.quora.com/Why-have-recent-US-presidential-elections-been-so-close

It is Median Voter Theorem perfected via modern polling and communications.

The Median Voter Theorem essentially says that in a voting system the winning choice will be the one supported by the median voter, i.e., the one in the middle of the spectrum.

So three factors come into play:

1) Campaigns, with modern polling, focus groups, etc., can get a good sense of the positions favored by the median voter.

2) The campaign can mold the candidate's image and positions to match what the polls determine the median voter wants to hear,

3) Through modern communication techniques the campaign can get their message out to the median voter.

Especially #1 and #3 are far more effective today than they were previously.

If both sides of a campaign do this then they converge close to a 50/50 split. To see why, imagine Candidate A was polling 60% and Candidate B 40%. Candidate B would quickly adjust his positions to move closer to the median voter, to close the gap.

Xe4

Banned
It's pretty insane half the (voter) population of NC supported him after the HB1 bullshit. The fuckery of this election goes well beyond Clinton shenanigans. Democrats across the board didn't give a fuck, and it's so disheartening.

Hope the shitfuck looses the recount.

Close to 49% of NC* does. How, I don't know.

*Voters

I know there were some really damaging voter id laws although I had thought they had been overturned but there might also be large voter apathy so the actual pool of voters may not in fact be a good reflection of the state.

It's pretty insane half the (voter) population of NC supported him after the HB1 bullshit. The fuckery of this election goes well beyond Clinton shenanigans. Democrats across the board didn't give a fuck, and it's so disheartening.

Hope the shitfuck looses the recount.

Unfortunately, the Presidential race determines Dem turnout at all levels, even local elections. It's the basic reason Democrats do so terribly during midterms, because there is no president to vote for so they just don't care.

I'm still baffled it was even close. Is toeing the party line and being a proud bigot more important than the well-being of your state?
(OF COURSE)

Matty77

Not surprised, sadly enough it's always something infuriating if North Carolina is in the header.

On one hand it is close, and in just about any other circumstances I would not even bat an eye, but after the amount of times they have tried to legalize voter supression including the courts throwing them out and saying they were explicitly racist I expect less of a straight recount and more of an attempt to invalidate votes with typical NC republican fuckery.

Linkura

Not a fair comparison, <5k out of nearly 6 million is a lot closer than 1k out of 750k

No. It was a 743 vote difference, exactly, according to Google/AP, out of 738k votes cast.

In NC, there were 4.65 million votes including 3rd party according to the image in the OP, not 6 million, with at 4772 vote difference.

The proportional difference is almost identical.

You could argue that perhaps she shouldn't have conceded, but it is absolutely a fair comparison.

jfkgoblue

No. It was a 743 vote difference, exactly, according to Google/AP, out of 738k votes cast.

In NC, there were 4.65 million votes including 3rd party according to the image in the OP, not 6 million, with at 4772 vote difference.

The proportional difference is almost identical.

You could argue that perhaps she shouldn't have conceded, but it is absolutely a fair comparison.
Yeah I see that I misread votes cast. It's a fair comparison, but I still don't fault him for asking for a recount.

phanphare

Banned
get fucked mccrory

get fucking fucked

man, I hope cooper's victory holds. that was like the single good thing to happen this election cycle. and weed in other states.

JoeBoy101

Incidentally, this little article showed up on wral down here:

60K provisional ballots unlikely to change election outcomes

WRAL said:
Raleigh, N.C. &#8212; Elections officials across North Carolina will spend the weekend researching about 60,000 provisional ballots, which must be sorted out by elections staff and then accepted or rejected by county boards of elections by next Friday. But election experts say they're unlikely to change many races.

Wake County has the most provisional ballots, by far, with 6,798. Mecklenburg County has 3,640, while Cumberland County has 2,739. Every county has at least a couple dozen.

Wake broke heavy for Roy, so I don't see Patty picking up the votes anywhere else. Again, I have to applaud Berger. He pushed all thus bullshit in the state for the past 4 yours and made McCrory the lightning rod. The man must have pictures of Pat with goats.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom