• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Carolina no longer classified as a democracy, ranks alongside Iran and Cuba.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Breads

Banned
Good to see their voter suppression bullshit being called out. Every time we bring it up the koolaide drunk idiot Trump supporters brush it off as a meme.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Does the GOP in North Carolina not look at the themselves in the mirror and think "skeeter, are we the bad guys?"

It's like they're taking every step they can to fuck over the Democrats and fuck over social issues.

In their minds, they are at war. Their job is not to represent the people of North Carolina, it is to stop the Democrats from doing what Democrats want to do. They're not the bad guys, they're the last line of defense against the forces of darkness.

We need to stop pussying around this and accept that we are equally at war with them as they perceive us to be.

The time for olive branches and compromise is long over.

DeviantBoi

I don't see people getting jailed for this, so everything the Republicans did must be legal.

And they'll keep doing it cause it works. They stole an election.

But the Democrats are busy retweeting... so it'll be alright.

Ac30

I don't see people getting jailed for this, so everything the Republicans did must be legal.

And they'll keep doing it cause it works. They stole an election.

But the Democrats are busy retweeting... so it'll be alright.

Some shitbird made a video on voter ID laws in which they asked white liberals why voter suppression was a thing and then went to...

Harlem

And asked if there was a problem with them getting IDs, results: LOL LIEBRALS ARE SO SALTY LOOK THE BLACKS ALL HAVE IDS

Yeah no shit Sherlock

How about you go to WI/MI/NC, oh wait

Of course the right swallows that bullshit whole

Speaking of legal, which justice thought that weakening the voting rights act was a good idea again?

TBH at this point we should really consider having two Americas now. Maybe we really should liberate the Confederacy, and let the GOP have and run the red states as their own country.

I don't know if you're actually serious or not, but I hate this every time I see this brought up. I can't afford to move out of Texas right now. Having a government of only GOP states with no hope of it ever swinging left is terrifying. I depend on the blue states to give me some sort of hope for this country, even if my state refuses to not be red.

AYF 001

Yep.

The US is fundamentally incompatible with itself now.

Why are a minority of people allowed to govern such different people? What do radical Christian terrorists/white supremacists have in common with a person that believe in democracy that is free from religion, a person that believes in equality across gender, sexuality, and ethnicity?

TBH at this point we should really consider having two Americas now. Maybe we really should liberate the Confederacy, and let the GOP have and run the red states as their own country.
But it isn't simply RvB states. It's urban vs rural. Look at all the people who showed the county by county election maps and said that the EC was needed to prevent those small, high population density centers from controlling policy, simply because of the difference in land mass. Don't you think it's convenient that their "traditionalist" constitutional interpretations say only white landowning males should vote? That all those "city-slcker urban hipster liberals" suddenly would be disenfranchised because they rent an apartment would mean even more exclusion in their favor.

Besides, if the two areas did become separate nations, what do you think the military-worshipping right wingers who see "the white man's place as conquerors" would think about the moment such a division came into effect?

prag16

Banned
There was this comment posted on Metafilter that I thought was pretty insightful regarding the whole thing:

So the REPUBLICANS are the only ones casting things as a "good vs. evil" situation?

328.gif

Whoever wrote that has clearly never been to gaf. Or the internet. Or any coastal U.S. city. I'm trying to figure out how he's not doing basically the same "I'm right and your side is evil" schtick that he accuses the Republicans of doing. What it amounts to is a sign of how completely polarized we are. And it's not exactly new.

Member how downright evil and diabolical Bush, McCain, and Romney apparently were? I member.

ldK5CNm.png

tuxfool

Banned
So the REPUBLICANS are the only ones casting things as a "good vs. evil" situation?

328.gif

Whoever wrote that has clearly never been to gaf. Or the internet. Or any coastal U.S. city. I'm trying to figure out how he's not doing basically the same "I'm right and your side is evil" schtick that he accuses the Republicans of doing. What it amounts to is a sign of how completely polarized we are. And it's not exactly new.

Member how downright evil and diabolical Bush, McCain, and Romney apparently were? I member.

ldK5CNm.png

In the real world there is nuance and there are degrees of evil. Republicans are constantly showing that they can always do worse. There are also accusations that are completely removed from any reality, it isn't a matter of opinion, republicans are the party of scumbags, for the part (which is consistently getting larger).

Ac30

In the real world there is nuance and there are degrees of evil. Republicans are constantly showing that they can always do worse. There are also accusations that are completely removed from any reality, it isn't a matter of opinion, republicans are the party of scumbags, for the part (which is consistently getting larger).

The problem is that they think we're the scumbags. I mean yeah they're demonstrably worse on every front but post fact future and all that. Basically the Republicans win until Texas turns blue alongside Georgia and Arizona, and then maaayyyyybe the dems get the presidency back.

tuxfool

Banned
The problem is that they think we're the scumbags. I mean yeah they're demonstrably worse on every front but post fact future and all that. Basically the Republicans win until Texas turns blue alongside Georgia and Arizona, and then maaayyyyybe the dems get the presidency back.

Oh sure. They're willing to do anything (seemingly more and more evil things) to prevent the other side from winning, something we don't generally see democrats doing, they have their limits.

We need to stop pussying around this and accept that we are equally at war with them as they perceive us to be.

The time for olive branches and compromise is long over.

It was over long ago, really, but Democrats either didn't realize it or hoped it was a phase or something. Even if they finally realize this now (and who knows if they actually will), it's too late. Unless there's a massive movement, like instantly, that eschews to the left, the GOP is just going to rewrite the rules to where they can't lose, and if they do lose somehow, they're just going to rewrite the law to neuter the opposition until they get back in power like we're seeing in NC.

So about that Supreme Court... What can they do?

A lawsuit of some kind will have to be filed, I guess, claiming what the NC GOP is doing is unconstitutional in some way. It'll get knocked down in NC courts, so then it'd eventually go to the Supreme Court. But with Trump getting a free appointment, the SC now has a conservative/GOP lean. It's not guaranteed that it would mean the Court would rule in favor of the GOP, though, even in that case, but the lean is still there.

Ac30

They don't care about this.

Yet when something about 'identity politics' and other easily fought over topics comes up, they will be on it like shit on a shovel.

errr, I'm pretty sure most of those aren't republicans. Even Alucard voted hillary lmao. He was a berner

I get your point, though. Diablos is sorely missed in every Trump thread

prag16

Banned
Both sides do it but only one is committed to eroding the foundations of democracy. So are both of them equally evil? I'd say no.
Plenty of democrats have used and do use Alinsky tactics to destroy political opponents. So I don't quite buy this "there are certain lines democrats are too wholesome, good, and just to cross" narrative. This is masked at times by the media being more willing to do one side's dirty work than the other. Look at John Edwards as just one example. The mainstream media all but tried to bury that, and it took the National goddamm Enquirer to expose that whole deal.

Then things like Slick Willie getting off virtually scot free after numerous transgressions, while someone like Tom Delay has his career destroyed for something that iirc was later thrown out.

And if you say one side is trying to erode our democracy, the counter from the other side would be that the other side is trying to erode our republic (and in many ways they wouldn't exactly be wrong).

prag16

Banned
People would probably take you more seriously without stuff like this.
I've always thought it was an amusing nickname independent of any politics. More amusing than Drumpf to be sure. Be as dismissive of my views as you like. Doesn't make either of our views any more or less valid.

Valhelm

contribute something
Does the GOP in North Carolina not look at the themselves in the mirror and think "skeeter, are we the bad guys?"

It's like they're taking every step they can to fuck over the Democrats and fuck over social issues.

They see the Democrats as the bad guys. To conservative ideologues, the Democrats' wanton desire to destroy the family, tear down America's Christian character, and impose brand-new cosmopolitan values upon everybody needs to be beaten back with whatever means necessary. They think they're the underdogs in a global culture war and history will absolve them.

This is why Republicans, pretty invariably, fight dirtier than Democrats.

Not fake news, just an editorial based on a really shitty research study.

Fake news as a term has lost any and all relevance. It's been so perfectly co-oped, it's almost incredible.

But having said that, definitely was an overall misleading piece it seems like that. But hell, it was so believable based on what the NC GOP has done there recently it was easy not to question.

Fake news as a term has lost any and all relevance. It's been so perfectly co-oped, it's almost incredible.

But having said that, definitely was an overall misleading piece it seems like that. But hell, it was so believable based on what the NC GOP has done there recently it was easy not to question.

So calling out fake news can be considered fake news as well

What the fuck is happening

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Fake or not, it should be noted that the state congress tried their best to ram through legislation to limit the governor's power since Cooper won, and the gerrymandering has be noted several times here.
The GOP here relies on institutional racism and fear to stay in power. You ask the average white person here and what the problem is with this country and he'll chime in n his tax dollars going to government handouts and nobody wants to work for anything. You stupid hillbilly, brown people on government assistance have no political or economic power and didn;t move your job to Mexico or Sri Lanka or wherever, thats rich white people. You can whine and cry about illegal immigrants "takin' jerbs" all you want but why give a pass to white businesses that exploit them for cheap labor? Its really irritating to see so many people be easily tricked and they just don't want to know the truth

In their minds, they are at war. Their job is not to represent the people of North Carolina, it is to stop the Democrats from doing what Democrats want to do. They're not the bad guys, they're the last line of defense against the forces of darkness.

Right. They are basically religious extremist zealots along the lines of the Taliban in the way they think.

So calling out fake news can be considered fake news as well

What the fuck is happening

Fake news has pretty much become something and anything that is against you that you don't like. It's been co-oped at record speed by the right-wing media, and the left-leaning media and even individuals have slipped right into perfectly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom