• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korean leader Kim Jong-un proposes summit with South Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

bengraven

Are you referring to this?

z8Kd0v6.jpg

Edit Oh SHIT the photoshops :lol http://retrohelix.com/2014/08/kim-jong-un-extremely-amused-at-lubricant-probably-thinks-its-cheese/

Nobody put a KRAFT logo on that Kraft-blue barrel?

Shaaaaame.

This is an interesting positive step from the NK leadership. It might be indicative of a small shift in policy from Pyongyang's leadership, or this might just be smoke blowing and they just want to have an excuse to bang a drum about how the South doesn't really want to solve anything when the talks collapse.

I do hope it's the former. Just getting the two sides talking to each other again is a really important step for the region's security. It's bad for both sides as it stands.

M3d10n

Isn't North Korea's conditions for reunification basically having the South abandon capitalism, recognize the Supreme Leader authority and surrender to North rule?

jstripes

Banned
We've heard this before.

It'll go something like "We will happily embrace our South Korean brothers in union if they give into each and every one of our demands."

Then they'll go back home and say "Hey, we made an offer and you guys didn't like it."

We've heard this before.

It'll go something like "We will happily embrace our South Korean brothers in union if they give into each and every one of our demands."

Then they'll go back home and say "Hey, we made an offer and you guys didn't like it."

Just like our brand new era of bipartisan cooperation in Congress thats due to dawn upon the country.

terrisus

He said if Pyongyang's conditions were met, he would even be prepared to hold a summit meeting with South Korean President Park Geun-hye.

"Depending on the mood and circumstances, there is no reason not to hold a high-level summit," he said.

Seems legit.

More talks planned in October were dropped after North Korea accused the South of not doing enough to stop activists sending anti-Northern leaflets across the border on balloons.

Nena's got this!

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
I think North Korean leaders are very afraid of anything that would threaten the regime (so much they would kill/purge entire families so as not to be overthrown) so I wouldn't count on it. Everything they do (maintaining a constant state of fear, censoring information, etc.), they seem to do in order to stay in power.

I would suggest giving them a bunch of money and amnesty in a far away country in exchange to surrender North Korea. Seems worth it for me.

Minus_Me

By all accounts, the court economy is struggling to produce enough hard foreign currency to continue the elaborate exchange of gifts for loyalty started by Kim Jong il. Recently gifts have been replaced with verbal confirmation of gratitude and clearly Un and his cadre don't feel as secure in their power. This is evidenced by the purge of his uncle who at one time garnered more power then Room 39 ( Basis of Court Economy).

In my useless and easily misled opinion, Un is trying to finally sign a peace treaty ending the Korean War and thus implementing Chinese style economic reforms to bolster his prestige. Hardliners may be trying to prevent this.

Again, this is out of my ass.

I would suggest giving them a bunch of money and amnesty in a far away country in exchange to surrender North Korea. Seems worth it for me.

But would China accept?

By all accounts, the court economy is struggling to produce enough hard foreign currency to continue the elaborate exchange of gifts for loyalty started by Kim Jong il. Recently gifts have been replaced with verbal confirmation of gratitude and clearly Un and his cadre don't feel as secure in their power. This is evidenced by the purge of his uncle who at one time garnered more power then Room 39 ( Basis of Court Economy).

In my useless and easily misled opinion, Un is trying to finally sign a peace treaty ending the Korean War and thus implementing Chinese style economic reforms to bolster his prestige. Hardliners may be trying to prevent this.

Again, this is out of my ass.

Isn't his first name Jong-un instead of Un? I think the last name is Kim.

Isn't the UN about to vote on whether North Korea should face a criminal court for crimes against humanity? Wonder if this has something to do with it.

slit

But would China accept?

Isn't his first name Jong-un instead of Un? I think the last name is Kim.

Well if he wanted to leave there isn't much China could do, but it's kind of silly premise. Un is not going to give up power just like that anyway.

Also, 2nd question. His name is Kim Jong-un.

Kinyou

I heard in the news that North Korea's 3 years of mourning for Kim jong Il are over. This should mean that Un can now introduce some new policies. Wonder if anything will come of this.

As much as North Korea is fucked up, I really don't want things to just end in war. It would be nice if a peaceful outcome could just be the way things went eventually I think.

Realistically, could that happen? Would you want it to? I just feel like an all out conflict with NK would not end well. Even if they couldn't hurt the US too bad, they could seriously hurt South Korea, and even Japan for that matter. I really wouldn't want that. Even all the people in North Korea, brainwashed or not, they are just living by what they've believed in all their lives. I would prefer it if someday a door could be opened where maybe they'd allow outside help so people wouldn't starve in their country, and they could live how they want.

Clearly there's injustice that happens there that people would want the leaders of NK to answer for, and maybe in time that could happen, but war is not always the answer and solution.

Szu

How is he still alive? I saw him got blown up in a helicopter while listening to a great acoustic cover of a Kate Perry song.

Supreme leader is truly immortal.

He's like Kim Jong-Undead.

terrisus

Yes its exactly like that, because we know very well what the leader of mexico is doing to its people

yo why dont you calm your jets

My point is that saying "CountryX should take over CountryY" isn't some sort of simple catch-all solution as you seem to be using it as.

GaimeGuy

Volunteer Deputy Campaign Director, Obama for America '16
South Korea el presidente needs to walk into the room and go "Listen, Un, noone gives a shit about your barren wasteland of a country, so stop spending all your money on a 20 year out of date military and feed your damn people."

You get him telt, southern jefe!
The threat of Seoul being wiped out in minutes and the prospect of guerrilla warfare with the largest-in-manpower military in the world (and, more recently, the nuclear deterrent) is exactly why other countries don't/won't touch nk. They are leveraging MAD for a position of strength

The threat of Seoul being wiped out in minutes and the prospect of guerrilla warfare with the largest-in-manpower military in the world (and, more recently, the nuclear deterrent) is exactly why other countries don't/won't touch nk. They are leveraging MAD for a position of strength

Also, you may risk going against China as well, even though I'm not sure they would intervene should war break out again in Korea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom