• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

North Korea's Kim Jong-un crosses into South Korea (UPDATE: Korean War Declared Over; joint statement)

TrainedRage

Banned
Last edited:
I'm happy that Moon is taking care of this. Guy has a good head on his shoulders. It's pretty obvious that Kim is getting his reserves strangled and needs to come out of this looking like the good guy.

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
HUGE NEWS.

We're on the verge of a news event that will be just as monumental (if not more so) than the Berlin Wall coming down.

TrainedRage

Banned
I appreciate this TrainedRage. This news deserves to be talked about.

Absolutely monumental!
I agree. Im so glad my grandfather is alive to see this (potentially). I honestly hope N Korea joins the rest of the world, or at least takes steps in that direction.

xandaca

While appreciating that a North Korean leader setting foot in the South is certainly nothing to be sniffed at, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves in proclaiming it the start of a new era. The talks have to be successful first, and then both sides have to stick to the terms of whatever is agreed, which is certainly no guarantee from the North. Even if talks go extremely well, as in well beyond all plausible expectations, I still don't expect to see reunification for a long time. For a start, the culture and economies of the two countries is quite different (obviously) so trying to crunch them together over a short period of time would be folly. Most likely, if there are agreements that are stuck to, it will be a series of baby steps to bring the two closer together over the long term before raising the possibility of full unification. That's my hot take, anyhow.

Last edited:

TrainedRage

Banned
While appreciating that a North Korean leader setting foot in the South is certainly nothing to be sniffed at, let's not get too far ahead of ourselves in proclaiming it the start of a new era. The talks have to be successful first, and then both sides have to stick to the terms of whatever is agreed, which is certainly no guarantee from the North. Even if talks go extremely well, as in well beyond all plausible expectations, I still don't expect to see reunification for a long time. For a start, the culture and economies of the two countries is quite different (obviously) so trying to crunch them together over a short period of time would be folly. Most likely, if there are agreements that are stuck to, it will be a series of baby steps to bring the two closer together over the long term before raising the possibility of full unification. That's my hot take, anyhow.

Its a good take. Your right about the forced reunification. I'm sure many people will still hold VERY strong feelings. However this is very positive news, and I hope for all of us that this isn't just a fluke or power play. Your right though, keep expectations low but hope for the best.

He played hardball with them and most anti Trumpers were saying we would go to war with North Korea.

The exact opposite happened.

He had a twitter beef and then nothing. Literally nothing.

It was more "Stop sending stupid ass tweets, you're not helping".

Two separate events do not have to correlate because they are about the same subject.

Hardball isn't "We have nukes too and we are ready to use them!". That's a stupid person's idea of hardball.

Dontero

Banned
You say that, but Iran deal scrapping will throw that out the window.

Again, what the hell did Trump do?

He scared Kim ?

Joking aside i think simply that what Trump says publicly and privately to people are different things. When he talks public he talks in themes which is why he repeats so much (and it is actually speech method). If you repeat often then it is easier to know what you were talking about in speeches which was one of the reasons why you could always tell what Trump main campaign stances were while you couldn't say the same for Clinton despite her being supposedly more articulate.

Meanwhile we have ample proof of Trump actually not stuttering like mad i mean just listen to his "locker room" tape:

So my personal take on this is that he actually can talk with people and seems to be like reasonable guy who can sell shit to people as salesmen (worked in sales for a long time). Politician could be fucking amazing talking to public but at the same time could be shit talking in private trying to make deals happen because those two things are entirely separate things.

Obviously for tango you need two people so i am guessing that Trump felt that it was right time to play stupid oax and put your foot down to force talks and play nice then trying to be good guy which is also one of oldest selling techniques which is also something i see when he talks about mexico.

If you have ever worked in sales you can see a lot of Trump shtick comes directly from that.

Last edited:

Two separate events do not have to correlate because they are about the same subject.

Hardball isn't "We have nukes too and we are ready to use them!". That's a stupid person's idea of hardball.
Ok... my bad.... Obama made it happen.

I’m not going to respond again to you as it is obvious you just want to start name calling .

Dontero

Banned
I could see Trump making a deal with head of N.Korea and propose them to live in US with some decent money in return for losing rights to govern N.Korea and make Korea whole with S.Koreo gov as leads. If not US then some other nation like Russia or something.

JDB

Banned
Ok... my bad.... Obama made it happen.

I’m not going to respond again to you as it is obvious you just want to start name calling .
Or... you know, neither?
Things happen in the world without or in spite of the US's involvement. Obama's peace prize was dumb (people on the left often agree with that!), but acting like Trump did much here beyond rambling on Twitter comparing dick nuke sizes is silly.

Airola

You know, all Trump's presidency is is literally just drinking too much Coke and watching television and writing on Twitter. He literally does nothing else so he couldn't have had any influence on this whatsoever.
Do I have to put a sarcasm tag here?

TheMikado

Banned
This is not good...
It seems NKorea according to Chinese and SK negotiators plans to leverage “ending” the war and its nuke program for economic “sweeteners”...

Basically NK wants money in exchange for just acting like a normal state. This will only lead to a stronger Asian peninsula in both economies and military. Based on China’s meetings with NK I think this is actual a long term power play which the west and the US itself is going to end up funding its own demise to its competitors.

Typhares

Korea leaders release joint statement declaring the war is over

This is not good...
It seems NKorea according to Chinese and SK negotiators plans to leverage “ending” the war and its nuke program for economic “sweeteners”...

Basically NK wants money in exchange for just acting like a normal state. This will only lead to a stronger Asian peninsula in both economies and military. Based on China’s meetings with NK I think this is actual a long term power play which the west and the US itself is going to end up funding its own demise to its competitors.

That's some pessimistic stuff there. Seeing the end of nuclear threat and suffering of north korean people as 'not good'.
Maybe Asia will come out stronger because of this but so what? I would think it would take a long time and it will cost them at first but I don't think it will necessarily cost the west in the long run.

Last edited:

TheMikado

Banned
Korea leaders release joint statement declaring the war is over

That's some pessimistic stuff there. Seeing the end of nuclear threat and suffering of north korean people as 'not good'.
Maybe Asia will come out stronger because of this but so what? I would think it would take a long time and it will cost them at first but I don't think it will necessarily cost the west in the long run.

Because it was already foretold.

https://www-m.cnn.com/2018/03/27/as...uld-make-secret-trip-to-china-intl/index.html

“China has repeatedly emphasized that it supports a denuclearized Korean Peninsula, and has suggested a freeze-for-freeze solution to the current crisis, whereby the US and South Korea suspend joint military drills in return for North Korea suspending weapons testing.
"China would like to be seen as the ultimate peacemaker in the region," said Adam Cathcart, an expert on Sino-Korean relations at the University of Leeds. "The Chinese would like a win."
Zhao said Beijing is far more willing than the US to tolerate a nuclear North Korea, at least in the short term.
"China has long accepted the status quo," he said. "It is prepared to deal with the nuclear reality and work on incremental progress towards disarming North Korea."
Multiple analysts said the US may find itself outflanked if North Korea proposed a Chinese-backed freeze-for-freeze, or similar first step towards denuclearization.
"The US has rather got itself into a bind with its impossible demand for the total elimination of North Korea's nuclear weapons," Hoare said.”

This literally is exactly what happened. NK and China now hold all the cards. SK having closer ties to both NK and China was never the goal. I look forward to seeing where this takes us internationally but it certainly looks like the world is gearing up for something big.

Or... you know, neither?
Things happen in the world without or in spite of the US's involvement. Obama's peace prize was dumb (people on the left often agree with that!), but acting like Trump did much here beyond rambling on Twitter comparing dick nuke sizes is silly.
Well I guess that just shows how fucking pathetic our past presidents were as according to you Trump can do next to nothing and still get more done then they did.

Unfortunately for you most people will think he had a major hand in this.....sorry ... I guess.

Airola

c8NwsDV.jpg

People will ignore things like this, but I bet if this whole thing falls down in a way or another and starts a new war or something like that, people will be looking for comments like this to prove how Trump was part of the catastrophe.

Didn’t they credit Trump tho. I doubt his twitter account was the reason.

I do wish he’d stop the dumb tweets

SatansReverence

Hipster Princess

c8NwsDV.jpg

People will ignore things like this, but I bet if this whole thing falls down in a way or another and starts a new war or something like that, people will be looking for comments like this to prove how Trump was part of the catastrophe.

Now what S StrikeNinja24 ?

What mental gymnastics are you going to use to explain this away?

so you're telling me that all we had to do for the last 50 years was simply apply a bit of pressure around NK and we could have achieved peace? why didn't obama think of that

Remember when people thought Obama was actually a good president? And NOT an identity politics race baiting economy destroying shit head that also made our healthcare EVEN WORSE?!

I do

TheMikado

Banned
so you're telling me that all we had to do for the last 50 years was simply apply a bit of pressure around NK and we could have achieved peace? why didn't obama think of that

Remember when people thought Obama was actually a good president? And NOT an identity politics race baiting economy destroying shit head that also made our healthcare EVEN WORSE?!

I do
Why didn’t Bushes or Clinton or Reagan think of it?

More importantly, I’m a thread about NK SK someone manages to blame Obama for race baiting. Get out of true thread if you’ve got nothing on topic to contribute.

Last edited:

Airola

Now, I could be just a naive person but watching Kim and Moon crossing borders is quite a thing to watch.

The moment (at around 1:16) when they are about to continue walking but Kim asks Moon to take a step back to his country too and Moon being willing to do so is quite a sight to behold. In that video it looks like that came by surprise to Moon and they hadn't planned to do that beforehands (or he just forgot to do so) and even the people around seem to be happily surprised by it.

I might be played like a fiddle here but that moment is one of the most beautiful political moments I have ever seen in my life.

Moon did all of the leg work, if anything for a peace prize it'll be Kim and Moon Joint. Threatening nukes doesn't get you peace prizes. Toughening sanctions is good diplomacy even though there's collateral damage to the health of the NK population. China and the US did well there.

Airola

Trump in an 1999 interview suggested the politicians have always known what they should do.
"Every politician knows it and nobody wants to talk about it."

More importantly, I’m a thread about NK SK someone manages to blame Obama for race baiting. Get out of true thread if you’ve got nothing on topic to contribute.

Yeah, that was definitely out of line, I agree.

Kadayi

Banned

I think the differential is unlike the above, Trump is an unknown. Whereas the NK leadership has always engaged in sabre rattling, Trump is the first one to ever really rattle back and leave NK guessing as to where they stand. So what are their options? Continue to talk big and look like a paper tiger to their populace (because actual nuclear war isn't remotely an option) or come to the negotiation table?

Also amused at the people who think NK coming to the table is a bad thing because stability in the region might mean economic gains for Asia...wtf kind of thinking is that? Let's not have world peace...it might make China stronger economically......

JDB

Banned
Well I guess that just shows how fucking pathetic our past presidents were as according to you Trump can do next to nothing and still get more done then they did.

Unfortunately for you most people will think he had a major hand in this.....sorry ... I guess.
What are you even on about?

TTOOLL

It's fun to see people trying to deny the US (Trump) influence in all of this.

This is a great moment for the world, let's just celebrate it and stop being petty.

Azzurri

It's fun to see people trying to deny the US (Trump) influence in all of this.

This is a great moment for the world, let's just celebrate it and stop being petty.

Yea, pretty much this. Obviously it wasn't all Trump and other factors were involved, but he had a pretty big hand in it I believe. I mean you fight crazy with crazy, right :D

To deny that Trump had a positive contribution when you are being told he did is pathetic. Also spinning this to be a negative towards Obama.

It doesn’t change anything when it comes to the criticism of Trump. But denial is silly politics.

Top Bottom