• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosferatu is the next film from Robert Eggers (The Witch)

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.indiewire.com/2016/11/fi...he-witch-robert-eggers-episode-12-1201745594/
Robert Eggers, the writer/director behind the indie horror hit “The Witch,” confirmed with IndieWire that his next film will be the remake of “Nosferatu” for former Warner Bros. President Jeff Robinov’s Studio 8
“[It’s shocking] to me. It feels ugly and blasphemous and egomaniacal and disgusting for a filmmaker in my place to do ‘Nosferatu’ next. I was really planning on waiting a while, but that’s how fate shook out.”
During the podcast, Eggers breaks down how his obsession with history informed the script and look of “The Witch,'”something he says will continue with the vampire remake. The former production designer explained how capturing the look and feel of the past is a product of the emotional, almost memory-like, images that are evoked for him during his deep research he does in writing scripts.

In addition to building “real” 1830s interiors, another key change will his approach to the lead character of the film.

“I can’t also do Max Schreck again either, so that’s fun, so it’s going back to the origins of the folk vampire,” said Eggers, who is also writing the script.

OE7og8Zl.jpg

Ridley327

It's been rumored for a while, but good to see a confirmation. The material is perfect for Eggers, and we've already received one terrific remake already from the same source in the Herzog take.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Good luck but after Werner Herzog's version I don't even see why anyone would bother. Good luck to him though.

Good luck but after Werner Herzog's version I don't even see why anyone would bother. Good luck to him though.

After seeing Eggers' The Witch, I think he's one of the very few directors out there that realistically could make a worthwhile remake of Nosferatu. I love the original from Murnau and Herzog's remake, but I think Eggers definitely has it in him to make a great version too.

It's been rumored for a while, but good to see a confirmation. The material is perfect for Eggers, and we've already received one terrific remake already from the same source in the Herzog take.

Yup. I'm excited to see what Eggars can bring to the table.

After seeing Eggers' The Witch, I think he's one of the very few directors out there that realistically could make a worthwhile remake of Nosferatu. I love the original from Murnau and Herzog's remake, but I think Eggers definitely has it in him to make a great version too.
And a different version. Seems like he's going the same route as The Witch with period piece horror. In the original movie, Orlok is a nightmarish rat-like verminous being that spreads plague and death. I expect it to be grimy and bleak horror

And a different version. Seems like he's going the same route as The Witch with period piece horror. In the original movie, Orlok is a nightmarish rat-like verminous being that spreads plague and death. I except it to be grimy and bleak horror

I'd be surprised if he does away with that element of Count Orlok, as that's an interpretation of vampires that really originates from Nosferatu, but I'm not at all surprised to hear that Eggers will be putting a ton of emphasis on his film being a period piece horror story and that he'll be looking into the folklore of vampires from the 1830s.

And yeah, I'm pretty certain this film is going to be a very bleak film. The ending of Nosferatu isn't a particularly cheery one.

Steamlord

Perfect match. Nosferatu and The Witch are two of my favorite horror movies ever. I have a very good feeling about this. Eggers clearly has a lot of respect for the source material but at the same time I imagine he'll do a good job putting his own spin on it.

dlauv

I didn't like The VVitch, but I could see a Nosferatu remake working if the former's pacing sensibilities are anything to go by.

Kayhan

Considering The Witch is the only good horror movie in forever I will be keeping an eye on this.

Not crazy about a remake though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What I really loved about Herzog's remake is how he read the character as sympathetic and pathetic, desperate for love when his eternal life is kind of a living hell of loneliness. That really gets to the heart of the vampire myth, and Jarmusch explored it in Only Lovers Left Alive too.

The original film is seared into my mind, one of the great silent films.

Saya

Fuck yes! Early 19th-century Eastern-European vampire lore and Egger's eye for visuals... It will look and feel amazing. Cannot wait.

Considering The Witch is the only good horror movie in forever I will be keeping an eye on this.

Not crazy about a remake though.
Two of the best horror films are remakes, aka The Thing and The Fly. Plus after The Witch, I'm confident that at the very least, it'll be one hell of an atmospheric unsettling vampire movie.

Very interested.

I just watched Herzog's Nosferatu. It obviously feels a bit hokey by today's standards, but it remain an absolutely enjoyable film.

I didn't have the chance to see The Witch, I'm not really into horror, but more (potentially good) vampire movies are always great news.

What I really loved about Herzog's remake is how he read the character as sympathetic and pathetic, desperate for love when his eternal life is kind of a living hell of loneliness. That really gets to the heart of the vampire myth, and Jarmusch explored it in Only Lovers Left Alive too.

The original film is seared into my mind, one of the great silent films.
But is that how people of that era actually believe vampires were like? I mean, is that the cinematic/fictional vampire myth or the vampire myths that 1830s villagers would know?

I imagine like The Witch, this is going to be a representation of what the beliefs and folklore was back then. Look at how fucked up the original Grimm tales were, and then remember that this'll be set in the same country and time period of those original stories.

I doubt this is going to be a sympathetic, pathetic, desperate for love creature, and that's really exciting

.JayZii

Banned
But is that how people of that era actually believe vampires were like? I mean, is that the cinematic/fictional vampire myth or the vampire myths that 1830s villagers would know?

I imagine like The Witch, this is going to be a representation of what the beliefs and folklore was back then. Look at how fucked up the original Grimm tales were, and then remember that this'll be set in the same country and time period of those original stories.

I doubt this is going to be a sympathetic, pathetic, desperate for love creature, and that's really exciting
There is some horrifying imagery in the novel Dracula (and Carmilla too) that I can see Eggers translating beautifully. That woman who comes to the castle screaming for her lost child, and her grisly fate. Carmilla crawling under the little girl's bed. Or the the slow burn of the Renfield scenes, for instance.

I like it when vampires have a sexuality to them, but it's cruel, selfish and monstrous, as opposed to yearning misunderstood lovers.

Yeah, from my understanding vampires were just considered evil and something to be terrified of. They were cruel and selfish things only concerned with spreading murder and fear.

I think it was later works like Dracula and such that gave them more of a personality and humanity.

rikichi

So what's the consensus on GAF about The Witch? I myself have not seen it but I'm very much interested in the Nosferatu Remake. Is this good news or whatevs?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So what's the consensus on GAF about The Witch? I myself have not seen it but I'm very much interested in the Nosferatu Remake. Is this good news or whatevs?
The Witch and Babadook are the only two recent horror movies I'm 100% behind and willing to recommend to anyone.

Easily my favorite movie of the year as of now (I have high hopes for Arrival), and one of my favorite horror movies.

My taste in horror movies would put The Exorcist, The Fly, and The Thing in my top ten, to give you an idea of what kind of horror I like.

The Babadook was a letdown. It Follows is much better. And The Wailing puts everything else to shame.
I'm finally getting to The Wailing tonight. Over in the Moves thread, someone described it as starting as I Saw the Devil and ending as Exorcist. I need to check it out now

Monocle

I'm finally getting to The Wailing tonight. Over in the Moves thread, someone described it as starting as I Saw the Devil and ending as Exorcist. I need to check it out now
Yeah, it makes all recent mainstream horror movies, like Ouija: Origins and The Conjuring 2 and Blair Witch, look like cliche-ridden amateur productions. Can't praise it enough.

Eh, he is wasting his talent on a remake. He is better off doing something new.
I imagine it is basically going to be something new. More of an inspiration than a remake since he's going for period-accurate 1800s vampire beliefs and period-piece atmosphere

And I don't think Cronenberg and Carpenter wasted their talent on remakes

i didn't enjoy the witch but i thought the atmosphere in it was well done

im interested in seeing that applied to a nosferatu movie

i think there are a boatload of actors who can make for an interesting lead

rikichi

A modern classic. Read this thread for impressions.

The Witch and Babadook are the only two recent horror movies I'm 100% behind and willing to recommend to anyone.

Easily my favorite movie of the year as of now (I have high hopes for Arrival), and one of my favorite horror movies.

My taste in horror movies would put The Exorcist, The Fly, and The Thing in my top ten, to give you an idea of what kind of horror I like.

Same here. I love all those movies you've mentioned. Gonna have to rent the movie tomorrow then. Thanks for all the responses.

i didn't enjoy the witch but i thought the atmosphere in it was well done

im interested in seeing that applied to a nosferatu movie

i think there are a boatload of actors who can make for an interesting lead
I kind of want him to work with Ralph Ineson again just for that voice

Would Doug Jones make a good Orlok, or would that be a too much of a type-cast choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom