• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nosgoth (Square Enix/Psyonix, Legacy of Kain, F2P) Announcement Trailer

Jacob4815

I'd just like to say that the Legacy of Kain series is the one IP that, if it were to come back in a single player action game, I would:

Pre Order
Buy a special edition at increased price
Buy a season pass for
Buy DLC
Buy a guide
Buy a console for it (if it were exclusive to that console)

I wouldn't do the above with any other franchise, and I bet there are lots of other people in my position.

For a real single player sequel I would offer my blood too

Epcott

Ok, probably there will be people interested in this.
and I don't want to piss them off, with my poor interest in the game.
Let me just say that Soul Reaver was one of my favourite games of all time.
A little part of me died watching that trailer.
If I think about the other (PS4?) "normal" game canned...

Yeah, you're not alone. The problem is that the "fans" of the license last had a Nosgoth game in the PS2 generation, nearly 10 years ago! If they're still fans, THAT is the style of game they are accustomed to and are fans of. While new potential fans will be like "What the hell is Nosgoth? Vampire craze is so 2010."

This new game, while taking the mythology, is really nothing like the action/adventure game of old... its more of a PVP arena game from the looks of the trailer.

I sent the trailer to a friend yesterday because she loves LOK and even bought Defiance used 2 years ago. She didn't respond, as if I never sent it in the first place, and I don't blame her, its promoted as a game wrapped in LOK skin urging fans to love it when it only pisses them off.

When I finally asked her what she thought about it, she asked me how I felt about Metroid Prime Hunters. Yikes!

No disrespect to the devs working hard on the title. I just suspect long time fans had other umm... expectations. Who knows, maybe they'll enjoy it.

Monkeythumbz, if you're still reading this is there any chance of seeing this on consoles? I know Sony has said that they're really welcoming of F2P games. While I'm not happy this is the route LoK is taking, I'd still like to try the game out and it would be nice to see it on PS4. It would also get it more exposure.

Ghekkus

so they are watching us are they?

we want to see more of this guy then

ee3de948-731e-49ec-9395-0a18dd4876dd_zps1d289af9.jpg

and Kain obviously (not hunting out all my LOK figures but i have him too)

:D

IMG_1023.jpg

Never bought a Lt. Raziel because I was hoping they would release a boxed version instead of a blister pack :(

awe man! i only had the blister carded Kain, Raziel and Lt Raziel, i could never find the boxed versions! you lucky lucky son of a beech :p

Monkeythumbz

Communications Manager, nDreams
Monkeythumbz, if you're still reading this is there any chance of seeing this on consoles? I know Sony has said that they're really welcoming of F2P games. While I'm not happy this is the route LoK is taking, I'd still like to try the game out and it would be nice to see it on PS4. It would also get it more exposure.
We're currently focusing our development efforts for Nosgoth on Steam for Windows PC. There are no official plans for other platforms at this present time.

Oh yeah this is PC only right? Is there even gonna be controller support?
We won't have controller support implemented in Closed Alpha, but it will follow at a later date, before we hit Open Beta.

Monkeythumbz

Hi everyone, we'll be going live with today's Q&A over on our Twitch.tv channel at slightly revised timings - apologies for the minor delay.

The livestream will now be broadcast at the following times:

Monday 30th September

• PDT: 11am
  • EDT: 2pm
  • BST: 7pm
  • CEST: 8pm

Looking forward to speaking with you all very soon!

man the copypasta made it irritating to view, i get the point its dead sun's mutiplayer everyone does, and everyone who is a fan and viewing that will surely have known, talk about flogging a dead horse! even they will have wanted to do a single player game too, for now SE are guaging interest with this

A lot of the very big issues I have with this announcement have been previously voiced in the thread, but I wanted to bring up another issue that I am hoping you (George/Monkeythumbz) will try to pass on to your bosses and their bosses: for fans like myself, seeing this kind of thing happen doesn't just damage the franchise in my eyes, but also irreparably diminishes my opinion of the entire company as a brand.

I don't know if it's a case of managers and shareholders chasing fads, or crazy executives soliciting for business initiatives from fortune tellers, but I do know Square-Enix is one company among a few that have been making these unpalatable, brand-damaging decisions for years, and seeing that those in charge are still so out of sync with many of their preexisting customers is...well, let's just say my consumer dollars do not and will not go to Square-Enix anymore.

I appreciate your candor, though, and sincerely hope you are being paid very well for this job you've been assigned.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
man the copypasta made it irritating to view, i get the point its dead sun's mutiplayer everyone does, and everyone who is a fan and viewing that will surely have known, talk about flogging a dead horse! even they will have wanted to do a single player game too, for now SE are guaging interest with this

I really don't think most people know that this is the result of a cancelled game. Beyond that, I don't really know that it would help if more people knew. On some level it would be easier to accept that Square just decided to make a F2P multiplayer game than it would be to think Square cancelled the game fans wanted and spun off the toss-in multiplayer mode that nobody would have cared about in the first place, even if the truth ends up being that the single player game had serious problems and the multiplayer mode turned out really good.

Monkeythumbz

A lot of the very big issues I have with this announcement have been previously voiced in the thread, but I wanted to bring up another issue that I am hoping you (George/Monkeythumbz) will try to pass on to your bosses and their bosses: for fans like myself, seeing this kind of thing happen doesn't just damage the franchise in my eyes, but also irreparably diminishes my opinion of the entire company as a brand.

I don't know if it's a case of managers and shareholders chasing fads, or crazy executives soliciting for business initiatives from fortune tellers, but I do know Square-Enix is one company among a few that have been making these unpalatable, brand-damaging decisions for years, and seeing that those in charge are still so out of sync with many of their preexisting customers is...well, let's just say my consumer dollars do not and will not go to Square-Enix anymore.

I appreciate your candor, though, and sincerely hope you are being paid very well for this job you've been assigned.

This is definitely a point of view of which we're aware, for sure. Still, we're of the opinion that Nosgoth is a game that's (a) very fun thus worth playing and supporting, and (b) capable of expanding the audience-base for the LoK IP.

As for my salary, I'll pass that on to my boss!! ;)

Vorundor

Alright George, you got me. Initially I felt very defensive about the IP but I'm a fan, I couldn't help it but now, I want to try this out.

Since it is a PvP game in which you will have SOME story elements explained, is there a possibility (not sure if it was asked before or if its already in the planning) to have set piece battles? Battles where you are randomly tossed into a faction and play out events of lore. Similar to a dungeon setting in an MMO but with two playable sides to it, a "what if" battle where you have the vampires attack a major human stronghold, or vice versa, and you can see what happens if one faction beats the other?

I've already signed up for Beta so I'm looking forward to give this game a whirl.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Watched a bit of the Q&A and paid more attention to the initial trailer. You all look like a bunch of really nice folks but I'm sorry to say I'm still not convinced. Looking at the gameplay trailer more closely, I can't express how much this does not look like a Legacy of Kain game or even Nosgoth. The graphics are fine but look very generic for this series.

While all of us here realize that hard work was put into this, I can't stress enough how disappointed I am. All this time and energy could have been used to resurrect the series with a single player game instead of trying to go the "sell out" route of a PVP MP game. Let's face it - if this is the way companies are going to grab people to become interested in a well loved franchise from the past, we're in trouble. This is not the way to do it.

Anyways, would be nice to hear you're actually working on a single player LoK/Nosgoth game as we speak. That team seems pretty capable of pulling it off. Would be nice to get Amy Hennig back too but I guess she's with Uncharted at this point.

Monkeythumbz

Alright George, you got me. Initially I felt very defensive about the IP but I'm a fan, I couldn't help it but now, I want to try this out.

Since it is a PvP game in which you will have SOME story elements explained, is there a possibility (not sure if it was asked before or if its already in the planning) to have set piece battles? Battles where you are randomly tossed into a faction and play out events of lore. Similar to a dungeon setting in an MMO but with two playable sides to it, a "what if" battle where you have the vampires attack a major human stronghold, or vice versa, and you can see what happens if one faction beats the other?

I've already signed up for Beta so I'm looking forward to give this game a whirl.
That isn't a mode that's currently in the game, but like I said in the vid Nosgoth is a live project so theoretically anything (within the confines of asymmetrical PvP online multiplayer) is possible if it's (a) feasible and (b) popular enough.

Anyways, would be nice to hear you're actually working on a single player LoK/Nosgoth game as we speak. That team seems pretty capable of pulling it off.
We have no single-player LoK games currently in development.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Was afraid of that.

So that means maybe waiting another half a decade if Nosgoth is successful. Just another reason in a long list of reasons why this should have been an SP game.

Jocchan

Ὁ μεμβερος -ου
How unfortunate. Sorry for the bluntness, but I guess that means my wallet is currently going to stay shut.

I'm not going to buy a bicycle and hope this raises enough brand awareness to make someone (eventually) start working on the car I want in the first place.

Ulumsk

I adore the prior LoK games so I might play this just to get a taste of the setting again. Hearing there is no single player game in development is a real shame though, so maybe not.

Top Bottom