• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Not enough pot for Canada

cryptoadam

Banned
Canada Is Already Experiencing Cannabis Shortages

Canadians loved their legal weed so much that many stores ran out of stock of the first day of legalized cannabis and no one is sure when the shortages will end.

Across the country, smokers of all pedigrees (including one brilliant dude named Tim) either logged onto a website or waited for hours outside a store to get their hands on some legal weed. We all knew the demand was going to be great and anticipating this many stores, both of the online and brick and mortar variety, stocked up on everything from bongs to pre-rolled doinks.

The provincial belle of the legalization ball, Newfoundland and Labrador, had several stores that had to stop sales because they ran out of product. One store owner, who the gods must be laughing at, said out of all goddamn times they somehow ran out of weed at 4:20.

It’s not something he’s very happy about.

"I'm a little shocked that I sold out so fast, and also very upset that I don't have product for everybody,” Thomas Clarke, who runs THC Distribution in Portugal Cove-St Philip’s, told the CBC. “I'm letting down a lot of people here and I was assured that if I paid for the cannabis I would receive it."

Clarke told CBC he didn’t get the full supply he ordered from his producer, so he was starting out with low stock. This isn’t a unique problem, other stores have similarly sold out across the province and the country.

In Quebec, customers waited for hours in lines to get into the store but many were sent home without being served; even if they did get in, they found a limited supply. One disappointed customer told the Montreal Gazette, “for me, the score is: black market, 1; government, zero.” Moving west to Saskatchewan—where no stores opened in their major cities—some stores simply didn’t open on October 17 because they just couldn’t get enough supply on time. Turning our eyes north to the Northwest Territories, the only store selling weed in Yellowknife ran out of supply before the end of Wednesday.

Perhaps the biggest snafus occurred on the incredibly busy online stores, which were the primary options for the majority of consumers in the country—especially those in Ontario, Nunavut, and BC. Customers of the online stores were hit with glitches, sold out products, and at times, the websites failed.

In Ontario, the online store offerings slowly got smaller and smaller as more products sold out—within hours only one product grown by the country’s largest producer was available. In British Columbia, the weed province, within minutes of opening their online stores sold out of the cheapest bud it was offering, and by the morning most of its product was gone. The website in Nunavut crashed several times throughout the day and by the time it was up and running for most customers, its stock was sold out.

One company in Winnipeg sold out completely online in the early morning, selling $50,000 worth of product by the time they were done. The province of Alberta sold out of cannabis oil. Only limited products were available in some Nova Scotia stores. The examples go on and on.

And meanwhile in Quebec

The SQDC releases sales numbers from first day of cannabis legalization

According to figures compiled by the province’s government-run cannabis stores, more than 42,000 orders for cannabis were processed on Wednesday alone.

Those numbers consist of more than 12,500 in-store transactions and 30,000 online purchases.

In the statement issued on Thursday, the store noted that the customer’s desire exceeded the store’s expectations but promised they’re ready for more sales. They also claimed that due to the demand, they’ve been experiencing a lack of inventory.

We sold 210 tonnes of it, and it still wasn't enough.

The thirst is real up here.

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Not surprising. I figured there will be a big turn out early on, some by people happy that they can finally get the stuff legally, and newcomers trying it out for the first time. I'm curious where it'll level out at once the novelty wears off. I know people who aren't big drinkers, but will likely go with marijuana instead. I'm also curious when we'll see an uptick in hemp production. That stuff is amazing. Use it for paper, plastics, cloth fiber, all while using a limited amount of space and replanting every year.

Papa

Banned
I was recently in Toronto and Vancouver and the smell of pot (+ all the homeless people) on every street corner really ruined what were otherwise beautiful cities. I’m in favor of decriminalizing and regulating pot but surely that can just be for home use. Why does it need to be smoked in public?

cryptoadam

Banned
Not surprising. I figured there will be a big turn out early on, some by people happy that they can finally get the stuff legally, and newcomers trying it out for the first time. I'm curious where it'll level out at once the novelty wears off. I know people who aren't big drinkers, but will likely go with marijuana instead. I'm also curious when we'll see an uptick in hemp production. That stuff is amazing. Use it for paper, plastics, cloth fiber, all while using a limited amount of space and replanting every year.

Its more an underestimation of demand and not being prepared. In Montreal there were only 3 stores! Of course the first day there will be a lot of people going, like opening night at the Avengers. But still 3 stores was not enough to meet demand. And by day 2 they are already running out of supply.

I was planning to go after a week or 2 to avoid any line ups, but I might revise my timeline. I think until there are more stores opened and the online stores are more stocked its going to be like trying to buy a Nintendo Wii/Classic LOL.

GoldenEye98

posts news as their odd job
I was recently in Toronto and Vancouver and the smell of pot (+ all the homeless people) on every street corner really ruined what were otherwise beautiful cities. I’m in favor of decriminalizing and regulating pot but surely that can just be for home use. Why does it need to be smoked in public?

Pretty sure it is the case that it has to be smoked at home or a designated area with most of the Provinces regulations...

cryptoadam

Banned
Pretty sure it is the case that it has to be smoked at home or a designated area with most of the Provinces regulations...

Yes. And many cities/burroughs are banning it from being smoked in public. Smoking is banned in most places so its going to be the same with weed.

The only real difference now is that you can't get arrested for having less than 30G on you, and you can buy it a licensed store.

Joe T.

Not sure about other provinces, but it can be smoked almost anywhere cigarettes can be smoked in Quebec, including Montreal.

badblue

I’m in favor of decriminalizing and regulating pot but surely that can just be for home use. Why does it need to be smoked in public?

Because there are a lot of people that would like to consume weed in their homes but are not allowed as they are in Condo's or Apartments that have banned smoking. Where are they supposed to go other then into a public area where smoking is allowed?

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Not sure about other provinces, but it can be smoked almost anywhere cigarettes can be smoked in Quebec, including Montreal.

actually I heard 5 burroughs have banned it.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-boroughs-prohibit-pot-smoking-in-public-spaces-1.4120372

As a result, St. Laurent will be banning pot smoking in all public spaces.

St. Leonard, Montreal North, Riviere-des-Prairies, and Pointe-aux-Trembles will do the same. Pierrefonds, by comparison, will ban pot smoking in parks.

All four boroughs are run by the opposition at City Hall. They say they’re doing it because Projet Montreal hasn’t announced what rules will be enforced when it comes to legal weed.

“We need to react in a way that we take care of the people we serve,” said Jim Beis, Mayor of Pierrefonds.

The City of Montreal says its listened to public health officials, and has no plans to ban pot smoking in public.

The four boroughs join the city of Hampstead, Quebec City, and others that have banned the use of pot in public spaces – however, some public health authorities warn against such restrictions, saying that would just encourage people to smoke pot indoors and spread secondhand smoke.

But Montreal’s mayor is still waiting to see what the CAQ government has to say before announcing its pot plan,

Its legal to buy it and carry it, but the smoking part of it is still up in the air in a lot of places. And landlords will have the discretion to ban it from their buildings/houses etc...

I actually think in a way legalization will make it harder now. Before everyone just turned a blind eye and if you were caught the cops would usually just ask you to put it out etc... Now I can see it being enforced more since its legal to own.

Dr.Guru of Peru

played the long game
The smell of pot is pretty disgusting, but it’s nowhere near as ubiquitous as you claim.

Papa

Banned
Because there are a lot of people that would like to consume weed in their homes but are not allowed as they are in Condo's or Apartments that have banned smoking. Where are they supposed to go other then into a public area where smoking is allowed?

That is an incredibly weak argument. Smoking weed is a privilege, not a right. They can go and smoke it somewhere that doesn’t intrude on my personal space, like one of the many private weed-related businesses that are opening up.

Joe T.

https://montreal.ctvnews.ca/montreal-boroughs-prohibit-pot-smoking-in-public-spaces-1.4120372

Its legal to buy it and carry it, but the smoking part of it is still up in the air in a lot of places. And landlords will have the discretion to ban it from their buildings/houses etc...

I actually think in a way legalization will make it harder now. Before everyone just turned a blind eye and if you were caught the cops would usually just ask you to put it out etc... Now I can see it being enforced more since its legal to own.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised by some of those. I spent most of my life in Saint-Leonard and I can definitely see the older generation there wanting to avoid it in public. They're a generally more conservative bunch.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
is it illegal to buy this shit online from the states?

Are you asking if you are already in a legal state? Not sure, probably not due to the federal thing and having to cross state lines.

Plus, if you live in a legal state here, it is much cheaper than the pricing they are putting out there.

cryptoadam

Banned
Well legal pot will need to step up their game. Sorry but not waiting in a line for 5 hours and then paying 200-280$(CAD) for an ounce of bud.

I just called some guy last night, came to my house, dropped it off, was gone in 5 minutes and paid sub 200. Until prices and convenience can match/beat that I am probably sticking to the black market.

Kagey K

Banned
Well legal pot will need to step up their game. Sorry but not waiting in a line for 5 hours and then paying 200-280$(CAD) for an ounce of bud.

I just called some guy last night, came to my house, dropped it off, was gone in 5 minutes and paid sub 200. Until prices and convenience can match/beat that I am probably sticking to the black market.
Man I wish I could still be that gutsy. The new rules and punishments for “knowingly buying” grey market stuff are just too steep for me.

I miss my MoM already, but I don’t have the money or time for what I could get by buying from my buddy now.

JimiNutz

Banned
Are they making edible products or drinks like they do in the US? I can't stand smoking the stuff (or smoking anything for that matter) but I do enjoy me some edibles!

YIKES

Dude, weed lmao!

The smell of pot can be overpowering and nauseating, Fritillaria Imperialis spread this same odor to repel gophers and moles as it's even more intolerable to their sense of smell, lots of garden centers sell these for that reason. But personally it makes me sick.

Nymphae

Banned
This is all well and good, but I am actually fairly stunned that the rule is going to be to allow smoking pot anywhere cigarettes can be smoked.

Nymphae

Banned
Why would it be different?

Are you kidding? Second hand pot smoke can get people high. There's already been videos of people hitting bongs at bus stations, where there could be kids nearby. They don't allow alcohol to be drank this way publicly, and it can't even affect people near you.

Nymphae

Banned
I just think it's crazy that we've went from completely illegal to yeah go ahead and smoke it anywhere in public. I'm out getting groceries, and I can smell a huge wave of strong pot as I just got into my car. I don't understand how I became the guy asking people to think of the children here lol.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
Have y'all seen the lineups too? My friend waited 45 minutes outside before going in an almost empty store to get his hands on 3.5g of (really good quality from what i've heard) pot
https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1351862408281680&id=1329072827227305
video is the openiong of the store. couldn't find another link than that sorry , also keep in mind this is not NYC

My friends waited 2 hours, got to the front of the line and then the shop closed. Waited the first day from 7-9 PM and didn't even get in. And they told me there was still a huge line behind them. So glad I didn't go with them that day LOL.

Nymphae

Banned
My friends waited 2 hours, got to the front of the line and then the shop closed. Waited the first day from 7-9 PM and didn't even get in. And they told me there was still a huge line behind them. So glad I didn't go with them that day LOL.

I have no idea why everyone wanted to be in on the first day. Keep getting it where you've been getting it until the government stores can meet demand, which is going to take a while. And even then, if the government isn't beating my current guy's price, I'm still just going to buy it illegally.

Last edited:

cryptoadam

Banned
I have no idea why everyone wanted to be in on the first day. Keep getting it where you've been getting it until the government stores can meet demand, which is going to take a while. And even then, if the government isn't beating my current guy's price, I'm still just going to buy it illegally.

People just wanted to be part of history. A decade ago I would of done the same, acted like I am all cool etc... Now I am like nope no way I am waiting in line for hours to get something I don't have to wait in line for. Its like seeing a movie on opening day.

And for now I am staying black market. I checked the prices online and noped out right away. 151.00 CAD for 15 G of Grail, when I can get it for 180 an OZ and have it delivered to me. No chance I am paying more and leaving my house, and there is no way I am waiting in a line either. I will check out the stores once things die down but right now they are no competition for the black market.

Nymphae

Banned
And for now I am staying black market. I checked the prices online and noped out right away. 151.00 CAD for 15 G of Grail, when I can get it for 180 an OZ and have it delivered to me. No chance I am paying more and leaving my house, and there is no way I am waiting in a line either. I will check out the stores once things die down but right now they are no competition for the black market.

Yeah their prices are not great, and you can't even see the product on the website. Cheap shipping though, 5 bucks I believe. But I'm happy with my current online retailer, 180 for an oz of good stuff delivered to my door is acceptable to me.

Joe T.

Are they making edible products or drinks like they do in the US? I can't stand smoking the stuff (or smoking anything for that matter) but I do enjoy me some edibles!

Another year's wait for edibles, unfortunately.

I just think it's crazy that we've went from completely illegal to yeah go ahead and smoke it anywhere in public. I'm out getting groceries, and I can smell a huge wave of strong pot as I just got into my car. I don't understand how I became the guy asking people to think of the children here lol.

Well, this probably varies from region to region, but there was no shortage of public consumption before it was legalized in Montreal. Lots of anecdotes about people politely being asked by cops to be a little more discreet rather than charging them. I've seen plenty of it myself where dealers weren't at all worried about doing business in plain view of cops, so the transition wasn't exactly going from one extreme to the other.

quickwhips

Are you kidding? Second hand pot smoke can get people high. There's already been videos of people hitting bongs at bus stations, where there could be kids nearby. They don't allow alcohol to be drank this way publicly, and it can't even affect people near you.
I never thought it was a big deal outside thanks for the insight.

After living in Canada for 33 years of my life and being a regular pot smoker, I leave and they legalize it lol

The thirst for pot is real everywhere.

Canada is what America wishes it could be.

Funny enough, the state's that have legalized it are doing a better job of it than what Canada came up with. I live in WA state and you do not need to buy from an overpriced gov't run store. You just buy it from any privately run pot store and they pay taxes back to the gov't. Much better system

They also have edibles, oils, etc... All available compared to just bud at home

I'm far from a heavy smoker now that I have kids but nice to indulge once in a while still

After living in Canada for 33 years of my life and being a regular pot smoker, I leave and they legalize it lol

Funny enough, the state's that have legalized it are doing a better job of it than what Canada came up with. I live in WA state and you do not need to buy from an overpriced gov't run store. You just buy it from any privately run pot store and they pay taxes back to the gov't. Much better system

They also have edibles, oils, etc... All available compared to just bud at home

I'm far from a heavy smoker now that I have kids but nice to indulge once in a while still

So you're misinformed, like most Americans.

There are edibles, oils, etc. as well as private stores to sell them in.

So you're misinformed, like most Americans.

There are edibles, oils, etc. as well as private stores to sell them in.

lol wut. I'm Canadian, not American. I was born and raised in Toronto, I lived there for 30 years. I also lived in Vancouver for 3

Maybe I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct anything I have wrong. I've done a fair amount of reading on it over the past year and have had a lot of conversations with friends and family that still live in Toronto on the subject

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4871178
Privately run Dispensaries, those places that were supposed to only sell to those with medical prescriptions but sold to everyone anyways, are now illegal

https://www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization
"The Ontario Cannabis Store website is the only legal option for purchasing recreational cannabis. It follows strict rules set by the federal government"

Edibles and oils were also not available via the online store at launch, with a vague message about them being available in the future being there instead

Last edited:

BadHand

lol wut. I'm Canadian, not American. I was born and raised in Toronto, I lived there for 30 years. I also lived in Vancouver for 3

Maybe I'm mistaken, please feel free to correct anything I have wrong. I've done a fair amount of reading on it over the past year and have had a lot of conversations with friends and family that still live in Toronto on the subject

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.cbc.ca/amp/1.4871178
Privately run Dispensaries, those places that were supposed to only sell to those with medical prescriptions but sold to everyone anyways, are now illegal

https://www.ontario.ca/page/cannabis-legalization
"The Ontario Cannabis Store website is the only legal option for purchasing recreational cannabis. It follows strict rules set by the federal government"

Edibles and oils were also not available via the online store at launch, with a vague message about them being available in the future being there instead

The BC Cannabis Store sells oils. Also, all those "illegal" dispensaries in Vancouver, some closed while provincial licenses are issued (they already hold municipal licenses). I'm fairly sure that many are still open though.

cryptoadam

Banned
The BC Cannabis Store sells oils. Also, all those "illegal" dispensaries in Vancouver, some closed while provincial licenses are issued (they already hold municipal licenses). I'm fairly sure that many are still open though.
Its different across provinces

In Montreal we have 3 stores for the entire island and no edibles until the government gets its shit together. Prices also fluctuate greatly between each province.

Like most things Canadian the provinces like to have their say. Sounds like in BC things are going a bit smoother but us guys out east are still working out the kinks.

good to hear, it sounds like BC may have done a better job of getting its shit together in time for launch compared to the other provinces

leaving the existing dispensaries in this weird "purgatory" state of illegal but still in business is just bizarre. i can't imagine it's good for their business either

badblue

That is an incredibly weak argument. Smoking weed is a privilege, not a right. They can go and smoke it somewhere that doesn’t intrude on my personal space, like one of the many private weed-related businesses that are opening up.

Here's the funny thing about your personal space, it moves with you. If someone is doing something legal in a public area that you disapprove of, you have the right to move away from it while they enjoy their recently acquired privilege. Someone enjoying cannabis on the side walk simply because they cannot smoke inside their home because the condo or apartment have banned in on their property is perfectly acceptable under the law. Some of these buildings allow the use as long as it is out side. For all I know you may own your own home in a nice neighborhood, if you do, are you going to complain that your neighbors are smoking cannabis in their own yards simply because you don't like it? Your opinion on the matter may have more weight in a communal setting (i.e. Condo, Apartment), but outside of that? Sorry. You can have your opinion, but no one has to care about it.

And not all jurisdictions are allowing private businesses to open if they are going to allow customers to smoke cannabis. Second, If your area is allowing it, the location may no be in an area some people can easily get to, in which case people are still going to smoke in areas where they are legally allowed to

Last edited:

lil puff

It should be banned from public consumption like alcohol, at least in my city. Can't drink in public areas.
Yeah.

Here it is illegal, but just about everyday people are out smoking freely. Usually homeless are smoking. I've seen cops walk past and not blink an eye.

If they legalize it here, I wonder if they enforce it, or would be another one of those 'quality of life' things like where it's ok to urinate in public. I mean you should not be cuffed for it, but at least tell them to put their damn dick back in their pants.

Top Bottom