• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Now that Sony seems to be interested in PC gaming, what if Xbox gets Steam or Epic clients?

SGRU

WARNING: this thread is not intended to start a console war, so please stay away if you can't stick to the topic, thank you!

Given that Xbox Series S/X are pretty much PCs, with the same hardware and software architecture and taking in mind it has enough power for sandboxing a W10 installation, is it too crazy (technologically wise) to think in Steam and EGS clients for it? Just imagine the posibilites... It would probably be a license nightmare I guess, but one can dream.

What do you think? Would it work? Could Sony block its own games somehow?

EA has it's own little EA access thing on the Xbone so I don't see it being completely out of the question, though, I wonder how keen either Sony or MSFT are to having competing stores on their platforms as it'd cut into their bottom-line. It'd be nice though and extremely consumer focused as competition would drive prices down in theory.

Last edited:

Skifi28

I can't think of a reason why Microsoft would want to give a share of the profits to other companies. What could they possibly stand to gain? They already don't make money from hardware, if they don't make from software too just drop making consoles. 90% of games from those clients are already multiplatform and available on xbox.

This idea has been discussed many times before on this forum, since the Xbox One was released using x86 architecture.

Yeah, it's not gonna happen.

Holammer

It could be an exit strategy if they want to give up the console market.
Fuck it, it's a small form factor PC now, I guess...

SGRU

Not this shit again.

Not going to happen and if you're so interested in games that are on Steam and Epic what's stopping you from building or buying a PC?

I couldn't think of anything worse than having a low end PC gaming experience on a console.

Series X is like ten times more powerful than my PC.

S0ULZB0URNE

WARNING: this thread is not intended to start a console war, so please stay away if you can't stick to the topic, thank you!

Given that Xbox Series S/X are pretty much PCs, with the same hardware and software architecture and taking in mind it has enough power for sandboxing a W10 installation, is it too crazy (technologically wise) to think in Steam and EGS clients for it? Just imagine the posibilites... It would probably be a license nightmare I guess, but one can dream.

What do you think? Would it work? Could Sony block its own games somehow?
It starts a console war rhetoric by the title.
Sony is releasing some last gen games to PC nothing more.

GHG

Series X is like ten times more powerful than my PC.

So... Get a better PC.

How do you think the Series X will run games designed for the windows environment and associated drivers? Not too well is the answer.

To deal with other bullshit objections that tend to come up in threads on this topic up front:
  • But I don't want to sit in front of a PC in my spare time, I work on a computer - congratulations, it's 2021, the same HDMI cable that you use to connect you console to your TV can be used to connect your PC to your TV. Steam link also exists.
  • But I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse on my sofa - and how exactly do you think you would navigate the windows desktop required to run steam on your Xbox?
Stop wondering about something that is never going to happen, wouldn't work in reality and just purchase the solution.

Last edited:
Is it technically possible? Yes.
Is it ever going to happen in any official capacity? No.

Also...an FYI...people got both Steam and PC games running on PS4 using Linux. It's totally doable on both platforms, but neither is going to embrace it. If you want to play PC games buy a PC.

driqe

They want that milk money from older games that won't hurt the current console.
Bookmarked.
Meme Reaction GIF by Silicon Valley

Beelzebubs

I know Sony has stock in Epic but I do also see them being able to have a good relationship with Valve due to the upcoming PSVR2. I think Half Life: Alyx will defo be ported to PS5 along with other Valve VR titles.

Why would Microsoft allow a separate storefront on Xbox consoles where they a) don't get a cut, b) have no control over the content?

Sure, they could work out some crazy agreement with Valve where they'd get some money and sway over what's on there, but why would they even bother at that point? The resulting store wouldn't do anything that the regular Xbox store doesn't already do.

Last edited:

SGRU

That’s what I’m say. I just smells fanboyism and ignorance.

The same can be said about you: your posts screams fanboyism. Regarding smells, you have a strong Doritos smell.

Don't bother replying, you are now in my ignore list. Have a nice day.

SGRU

To the people that replied politely:

Technically, Series X is powerful enough for running most if not all the games available on PC with good levels of detail and resolution. Even Linux, which doesn't have native support for Direct-X can. The thread is more about licensing issues and if Sony would be able to force those platforms to avoid its own games being available on Xbox.

Just an idea and a big "what if".

Would I like? Of course I would. Why? Think of the myriad of games that would be available, including some Sony exclusives.

Iced Arcade

Why would either company want another company to come in with a store front and collect the money?

Regardless to what you read in gaf sale threads, these companies make nothing and eventually maybe a few dollars off consoles sold. Their whole business is to offer hardware and charge a percentage to developers/publishers in exchange.

MonarchJT

Banned
On the contrary, I think that as soon as gets the chance Ms will try to buy big shares of Steam or buy it entirely

Last edited:

Shmunter

Assuming PS5 or XsX get jail broken, steam on Linux would now provide a high end experience. Assuming full hardware is accessible.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
If this means I could some classic Total War games (Med 2, Empire etc) then yeah. Go for it.

Dream-Knife

Banned
So... Get a better PC.

How do you think the Series X will run games designed for the windows environment and associated drivers? Not too well is the answer.

To deal with other bullshit objections that tend to come up in threads on this topic up front:
  • But I don't want to sit in front of a PC in my spare time, I work on a computer - congratulations, it's 2021, the same HDMI cable that you use to connect you console to your TV can be used to connect your PC to your TV. Steam link also exists.
  • But I don't want to use a keyboard and mouse on my sofa - and how exactly do you think you would navigate the windows desktop required to run steam on your Xbox?
Stop wondering about something that is never going to happen, wouldn't work in reality and just purchase the solution.
Let me add to the second point:
If you always have Steam open you can have your controller act as a mouse and Steam has a virtual keyboard just like console. You can also use whatever controller you want: Switch Pro, Xbox one/Series, PS4, PS5, etc.

To the people that replied politely:

Technically, Series X is powerful enough for running most if not all the games available on PC with good levels of detail and resolution. Even Linux, which doesn't have native support for Direct-X can. The thread is more about licensing issues and if Sony would be able to force those platforms to avoid its own games being available on Xbox.

Just an idea and a big "what if".

Would I like? Of course I would. Why? Think of the myriad of games that would be available, including some Sony exclusives.
The fact that you think this is about "Power", is exactly what I say you have no idea what you are talking about.

It is not possible to run Steam or Epic on Xbox because they are direct competitors. Because they are all dependent on the 30% software cut.

Xbox customers, for the last few years, had somehow being brainwashed into believing that "If it runs on Windows then Microsoft owns it anyway! So they make money from Steam sales right?" A completely wrong look of how PC gaming works that I no longer care to correct. And here we are with ANOTHER thread where an Xbox gamer thinking that they can have Epic and Steam run on an Xbox like they aren't stepping on each other's toes.

30% or 20%, whatever the ratio you pick, is what the Clinent is using to make money. That money is NOT on the table if run through an Xbox and as such there is no reason to play along. Epic and Valve might and do sell their 1st party games on consoles, but that is because 1st party games can stay profitable WITH 30% taken away by the platform holder. You can run Fortnite or Team Fortress 2 on Xbox, that is fine; but you can't run the entire Steam or Epic client with their third party games on Xbox. That was literally the entire point of the Epic VS Steam lawsuits.

Derktron

Banned
The same can be said about you: your posts screams fanboyism. Regarding smells, you have a strong Doritos smell.

Don't bother replying, you are now in my ignore list. Have a nice day.
You think I give a fuck about that, how can I be a fanboy, and to who? Stupid pathetic useless fool. I can do the same and wow I'm so scared of you putting me in a list. That means there's one less moron to deal with.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Honestly so confusing why stuff like this gets proposed... Gamepass will never be on another console... Steam will never be on any console.. either will EGS.

Like WTF? lol

WARNING: this thread is not intended to start a console war...

heh, yeah, and Gavrilo Princip didn't intend to kick off the 'Great 20th Century All Night Murder Dance Party!!?!', but you know, things happen.

back on topic, i'd give this a try, more games = good.

oh, and ALL HAIL GAME PASS (remember thou art mortal!).

Fbh

Don't see how it would make sense.

MS gets a 30% cut of every digital game, DLC and microtransaction sold on Xbox. They probably make way more money from that than actual hardware sales.
Why would they bring in a digital competitor to their closed Xbox ecosystem?

johntown

Banned
I could only see this for games that have native controller support and all of those games are already on Xbox. The only games that really aren't are either older or only support kb/mouse so there is really no point in trying to add support.

sainraja

There are so many factors that would need to be addressed in order for any of the parties involved to make doing so worthwhile.

To run PC games, you don't need a Steam or EPIC's client, those are just platforms set up on the PC so people can easily buy their games and keep their library together (yes, I know that if you buy games from said client, you are tied to it - but the games don't need the client, the client is needed to basically confirm ownership.) Some of the games on those store fronts are also available on both the Xbox and PlayStation stores. You are asking for a little redundancy and access to other games that may not be available due to being for PC. This is where it is going to be even more tricky because you can't just take a game designed with PC controls in mind and automatically have it work on Xbox/PlayStation.

I am sure it can happen (getting access to games designed to run on PC to work on consoles) but you'd be sacrificing convenience for a lot of hassle if the mentioned parties didn't work on making it happen on their own, which will not happen.

Last edited:
Top Bottom