• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD: Adidas' 'Yeezy' collaboration with Kanye West has not paid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

EloquentM

aka Mannny
yeah. Like unless they stipulated with him that they would only release the shoes in such small quantities, there's no reason that at least the grey boosts weren't more widely available.

It's at the point where I don't really care about Yeezys because I'm not going through the trouble of getting them( well actually that's always been the case since Nike)
He said he wanted them to be easier to get and cheaper. What ant posted is a solution.

They need to return to the sneaker line, not these loafer things. I need a new Yeezy Boost 750 or a similar flagship model. At a lower price.

as much as I love yeezy's shoe designs....the 750s are his worst imo....

with that said, the yeezy 2 black solar red imo is his best design.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
They really going out of their way to get some clicks by mentioning Kanye...his shoes are such a small part of Adidas endeavors and the money they spend on it - why would they expect limited/always sold out Yeezys to compensate for everything else ? 10 Mio they paid him is nothing compared to the +1mil shoes they already sold or to what they are spending on athletes.

Adidas skateboard division doesn't really feel that skateboard focused to me. They have some big names, like Gonz but the shoe styles just look like they're regular Adidas shoes with a skateboarder's name put on it. Nike skateboarding got a lot of criticism for going more mainstream, and leaving skater owned shops behind but it's good for the wider business and the shoes actually seem well received.

Adidas collaborations rarely excite me.

Double post, but that's what I gather as well. I am bit behind the loop on skate sponserships now, but is Dennis Busenitz still on the team?

EDIT: He is.

AJLma

This is a weird article. Yeezys are some of the most in demand shoes on the market right now. Before the Yeezys were sneakerheads mentioning Adidas in the same breath as Jordans? Ultra Boosts are also killing it right now, but most people are priced out.

Any correlation?

This seems like Adidas fault for not capitalizing on what is unquestionably increased market awareness.

Adidas is absolutely killing the sneakerhead hype game right now. I wouldn't say they are tops in things yet - OG Jordan retros still are the top dog, especially the super-limited collaboration stuff - but there's more hype around Adidas in that small sneaker collector niche than ever before.

Thing is, the average sneaker wearer already was into Adidas anyway - so the Yeezy hype missed them. The people out there rocking Stan Smiths, Superstars/Pro Models and Sambas, which are most people, didn't give a shit. What is helping Adidas right now, however, is that their new designers are wayyyy more fashion forward than anyone at Nike right now. Tubulars, ZX Fluxes, and the Pure/Ultra Boosts are getting new people interested in Adidas more than any Yeezy could.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
Only make 50k pairs and wonder why it's not profitable brehs.

So fucking dumb. Adidas doesn't know how to play the shoe game.

Wasn't this the case when Ye was with Nike? The shoes he designed with them got a lot of hype, but Nike limited the sales for those shoes, and eventually both parties moved on. Adidas is going about it the same way it seems like, of course they aren't limiting sales to the same degree Nike did.

Acorn

Nah not that, but everyone is FIENDING after these shoes

at the very least the collaboration has led to adidas having more eyes on them than before, these are on the levels of Jays right now in terms of release hype when they come out
What's jays?

blakep267

What's jays?
Jordans( Michael Jordan's signature basketball sneakers)

Wasn't this the case when Ye was with Nike? The shoes he designed with them got a lot of hype, but Nike limited the sales for those shoes, and eventually both parties moved on. Adidas is going about it the same way it seems like, of course they aren't limiting sales to the same degree Nike did.
I think the difference is that Nike doesn't really need Kanye west and their sales are fine without him. Adidas needs sales so limiting the shoes isn't the best thing since they aren't in the same position as Nike

They need to do more like the zx fluxes for the masses. Apart from superstars, zx flux and stan smith. I hardly see people wear other adidas trainers. Compared to Nike, i see a lot of Hauraches, roches, the different versions of air max.

The only pair of adidas trainers i own are the Zx fluxes. Compared to Nike, I've got 3 pairs of Hauraches, roches, different versions of air max.

Really want yeezy tho. They need to stop limiting them.

Acorn

Jordans( Michael Jordan's signature basketball sneakers)

I think the difference is that Nike doesn't really need Kanye west and their sales are fine without him. Adidas needs sales so limiting the shoes isn't the best thing since they aren't in the same position as Nike
Ah jordans okay. Never heard them called jays before

Mr. X

Ever since Khloe K. tweeted the classic Superstars, they've been selling out and super high in demand in the NY/LI area. Before, they were easy to grab and always in store.

Also, if Adidas could produce those or Yeezy's to meet demand, they would be doing better.

neurosyphilis

Definitely not an STD, as I'm a pure.
No shit when you only make 5 pairs of shoes for thousands of people to try to buy. Make more. Kanye said he doesn't want them to be exclusive or hard to get, but thats bullshit because they're still nearly impossible to get at retail. Then you got the clowns who buy them for $200 and then sell them for $2000.

RibMan

Yep.

Yeah I notice Under Armor has really exploded but I'm curious as to why? Apart from it being just a good product, but that's usually not enough to cause so much growth.

Why have they gotten so big lately?

Stephen Curry, Star Wars, Cam Newton, Andy Murray, Jordan Spieth, Bryce Harper, The Rock, the list goes on. They're taking risks by investing in new markets and new-ish athletes and it's working.

Their logo is still their biggest challenge. Once/if they figure it out, expect their sales to skyrocket.

Bronx-Man

Banned
No shit when you only make 5 pairs of shoes for thousands of people to try to buy. Make more. Kanye said he doesn't want them to be exclusive or hard to get, but thats bullshit because they're still nearly impossible to get at retail. Then you got the clowns who buy them for $200 and then sell them for $2000.

Kanye's said he doesn't have any control on the pricing or production, just the design. We're basically at Adidas' mercy when it comes to that stuff.

TheBowen

Sat alone in a boggy marsh
Literally all they need to do is make more. I would buy a pair of yeezys but they sell out in like 3 minutes and most dont even wear them, just resale them at fucking stupid prices. And most pairs on ebay etc are fake as fuck.

Infinite

Just saw mad kids on campus with them on.

But yeah they should start mass producing them. Right now tour best chances at getting one is on the secondary market for like 1G at best.

RibMan

Take a second and ask yourself why a company that wants to make as much money as possible would limit the production and availability of a non-legacy product that would supposedly net them a whole bunch of money.

Once you realize it makes absolutely no financial sense to limit a product that would supposedly make a whole bunch of money, you should then explore three possibilities:

1) The limitation in production and availability is done because the signature shoe (in this case, Kanye West shoes) belongs to a non-athlete and thus promoting and creating visibility for the shoe is done without the support of major sports leagues with a global reach of millions and billions of viewers, meaning that promoting the shoes is a nightmare that involves further deals with non-athletes, leading to a complicated mess of contracts and meetings with people with next to no idea on how the footwear market works.

2) The limitation in production and availability is done because the majority of the hype for the product is artificial and based on actual internal data from forecasting and demand planning, the signature shoe is only desired in a handful of markets and a small as a pinky demographic that would not -- even with the most creativest of accounting and number fudging-- lead to a noticeable return in the investment.

3) The limitation in production and availability is done because an extensive association between your brand and a high risk self-admitted clinically depressed individual who supports a man who has admitted to drugging women is not a smart idea.

Sometimes you have to take a step back and look at this stuff from a different perspective. Just take a minute or two and think about the following. If you're a really popular music artist and you struggle to sell 1 million copies of your $9.99 product in a market with over 320 million people, what does that tell you about your audience? Will your audience -- the very same one that would know when you're selling shoes -- come out in droves to purchase a $199.99+ product from you that has absolutely nothing to do with music and has no performance and or athletic value?

The truth is that you can't sell something without buyers. Shoes, jackets, videogames, eye lashes, pencils, dog leashes etc. Whatever it may be that you make, if you don't actually have an audience of people who will give you money for your product, then your product will not survive. The question then becomes: how do you make a product (with a small to non-existent audience) survive? It's not terribly complicated. A low volume - high margin strategy will give a low demand product life. If you sell a low amount of your product you still win because the margins are in your favor.

Kanye West is really popular artist, but his popularity does not translate to an ability to sell millions of products in an entirely different industry that will bring in tens and hundreds of millions of dollars. That's the actual reality. Once you can understand and accept this, you can then understand and accept how business is done with a lot of celebrities.

Fjordson

Yeah I notice Under Armor has really exploded but I'm curious as to why? Apart from it being just a good product, but that's usually not enough to cause so much growth.

Why have they gotten so big lately?
Under Armour right now has the current MVP in the NBA, the NFL, the MLB and the NHL. And throw in the #1 ranked golfer in the world as a bonus.

Not the only reason I assume, but kinda interesting how the talent they've signed all seems to be blossoming at the same time.

I would buy these if they were for sale. From my understanding there's some kind of publishers clearing house ARG you need to follow in order to secure a pair.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom