• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD August 2012 Sales Results [Up3: Sleeping Dogs]

Galang

Banned
Wow I guess Kindgom Hearts didn't do as well as I thought. It's quite sad how long they've milked the different spin-offs even if two of them were good. DDD and Re:Coded are the only KH games I don't own.
Part of the reason I bought a 3DS was for DDD, but I'm unfortunately fatigued with the series at this point. Still will get DDD down the line, but they really should focus on putting out the third installment... waiting for Versus to be finished is too late.

RagnarokX

It's aimed squarely at children. As it should be. Are you saying 7+ year olds aren't children?

Wow at the Nintendo PR. Didn't mention XL/3DS sales. Must not be good.

It's aimed at everyone... everyone includes children. Nintendo doesn't focus on a single demographic. Statistically speaking, according to the ESA, the average age of gamers is 30+ and 68% of gamers are over 18. Nintendo has been working on increasing the numbers for female and elderly gamers, but that's just to add to their inclusive market.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Thank God for Japan from Nintendo's perspective. Yikes.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Thank God for Japan from Nintendo's perspective. Yikes.

Out of curiosity, what's the next NSMB 2 sized 3DS release for the West?

Edit:

By sized, I mean the presumed potential of the sequel to NSMB as opposed to the literal sales of NSMB 2.

Duxxy3

How is that compared to the DS revisions though? Comparing XL to OG 3DS is just comparing bad sales to bad sales.

Just going by first revisions"

"Speaking of portables, June 11 just happened to be the launch date for the DS Lite, the sleek new edition of Nintendo's increasingly popular handheld. According to NPD, 600,000 DSs were sold during the 19 days after the Lite went on sale--a 426 percent increase for the platform over 2005. The DS Lite launch also helped lead to a 264 percent rise in DS software sales, which in turn boosted overall June portable software sales to $135.5 million."

Rlan

To compare (Worldwide) XBLA statistics:

xblanewaug2012.png

xblaregaug2012.png

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/1771...tion_may_be_losing_its_steam.php#.UEk8lI3iZx0

Even if Minecraft was only 40% Americans, it'd probably be number 1, or at least top 3.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Wow I guess Kindgom Hearts didn't do as well as I thought. It's quite sad how long they've milked the different spin-offs even if two of them were good. DDD and Re:Coded are the only KH games I don't own.
Part of the reason I bought a 3DS was for DDD, but I'm unfortunately fatigued with the series at this point. Still will get DDD down the line, but they really should focus on putting out the third installment... waiting for Versus to be finished is too late.

Don't skip DDD--it's fantastic.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.

I can't even think of one right now. Maybe Animal Crossing in Q1 2013? The 3DS holiday list doesn't look like anything special.

Kunan

Iwata stated Nintendo would report the first month DD sales for NSMB 2 right? Or is that only for Japan?

Drago

Maybe it's already been asked...

Does NSMB2's number include digital sales? Not that I think it would change much

Anita Frazier said that XL sales were 44% of the monthly 3DS sales for August.

3DS @ ~178K (36% increase over July) * 0.44 = ~78K
Thanks. Skim read and missed.
Where's Petrea?!

I wanna know Wii/PS3 split

What have been the splits the last few months?

EDIT: had a look at June and July - around 2:1 PS3:Wii. So I'd guess that the 210 goes aboue 140K PS3, 70K Wii.
keep in mind that just one week of the XL is counted in this report.
Is the XL expected to create a sustained increase in 3DS sales, rather than just a bump?

Also are there major releases for next month?

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.

Ehhhh..... Probably Animal Crossing (Q2 2013). Brian Training 2 is this Christmas, but I doubt it will come anywhere close to what the first one did.

The story has been offensively bad since the title sequence for Kingdom Hearts II finished and we took up control of Roxas.

Ew. No.

Ew. No.

Sora helps Lara Croft find her place in the world. You know you want it! Of course, I'm just in it for the Mini Ninjas world

Also, KH3D feels especially lazy/terrible with the reused character models and such. Why is flashback Sora older then present time Sora? Ehh maybe it will all make sense by the end

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Can we all finally agree that iOS has taken a sizable chunk out of the portable handheld market?

hamchan

I find it interesting that the CoD bubble hasn't burst, just that maybe MW3 sales aren't great because of how bad it is, and CoD buyers would rather get the entry before it which is a much better game. That plus Black Ops 2 hype is driving sales too. This years CoD will still be huge.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I find it interesting that the CoD bubble hasn't burst, just that maybe MW3 sales aren't great because of how bad it is, and CoD buyers would rather get the entry before it which is a much better game. That plus Black Ops 2 hype is driving sales too. This years CoD will still be huge.

Well, the absolute hugest games are still doing fine.

I mean Diablo 3 sold 10 million copies, Mass Effect 3 did quite well, and Minecraft is doing fantastic. Madden is reporting an increase year over year so far as well.

It's everything else.

Extremely bad 3DS sales.

Don't really know what Japanese companies are going to do platform wise in the future with Japan seeming to reject consoles and the 3DS not really doing much of anything in America and Europe.

SykoTech

What's truly mind-boggling is that Square didn't put out a single KH games on consoles period. Even if KHIII isn't ready, they could have had something to tide fans over. A PS3/360 HD Collection, a spin-off starring Mickey, a fighting game by ArcWorks....SOMETHING.

Instead the PS3, 360, and even the Wii are left without a single KH game at all. Smooth.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Extremely bad 3DS sales.

Don't really know what Japanese companies are going to do platform wise in the future with Japan seeming to reject consoles and the 3DS not really doing much of anything in America and Europe.

I imagine most of them with make 3DS and/or mobile/social games targeted at the local market outside the few with brands so large they can still do well on Western consoles (a la Resident Evil).

The main hope is that the former still gets localized.

jvm

Gamasutra.
No. NPD, Media Create, Famitsu, and whatever the Euro tracker is don't track digital sales as of yet.
The NSBM2 figure came from a Nintendo PR. Surely *they* know how many units were sold across retail and digital.

That said, their PR sounds like they're only counting retail figures reported by NPD (and probably confirmed by Nintendo's own tracking).

Duffyside

Banned
Hah, didn't someone bet in pre-Darksiders II topic that it wouldn't make the top 10? I need to keep better track of this stuff.

Good job, Vigil and THQ. Awesome game, despite the bugs.

Yoshiya

Kingdom Hearts will never reach its past glory with the convoluted cannon it has going right now. The story in 3D is offensively bad and gives me no hope or excitement for the potential KH3
This prompted me to go and read a KH3D synopsis. I wish I hadn't. Nothing will ever recapture the joy of the original, will it? :/

What's truly mind-boggling is that Square didn't put out a single KH games on consoles period. Even if KHIII isn't ready, they could have had something to tide fans over. A PS3/360 HD Collection, a spin-off starring Mickey, a fighting game by ArcWorks....SOMETHING.

Instead the PS3, 360, and even the Wii are left without a single KH game at all. Smooth.

I think its pretty well known that square enix is a bunch of fuck ups

Top Bottom