• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD/Circana US March 2023: PS5 #1 (now ahead of PS4 when aligned), RE4#1, MLB#3 and TLOU #5

demigod

If only their problems were limited to PR haha

If they want to stay in this business they need to clean house completely. Xbox needs people in leadership positions who understand gaming and have a passion for it. The current group are not cutting it. Xbox is a lame brand now and any prestige it had is long gone. They'll will never reach the highs of the 360 days again. That ship has sailed.

Honestly, if Nutella is dead set on Xbox being a service-based brand they might as well pack it up. People aren't biting.
Stop right there broski. We can’t have someone more competent coming in.

demigod

Where is that ps5 slim

Hip Hop Reaction GIF
If they can drop it to $299 this year it would kill the competition. Digital of course.

feynoob

Gold Member
And how much does console sales account for?
Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Lets no full stoner here.
Console sales matter because you get more money, if you have more user base.

Only reason you think that is because MS is trillion dollar company. Sorry to break it to you, but they themselves need a reason to keep Xbox.

If it performs badly, they might shutdown the division and go game pass service.

bxrz

I have no idea. You said their business model is Game Pass and you are wrong.

course diss GIF
If you have no idea, then why did you even quote me?
It's literally their most important vehicle to drive their sub service. Without it, they would not have the same type of sub model, they would just be third party with an EA/Ubisoft style service.

Far cry from the "Netflix of gaming," then.
If that were true, then why are the majority of Gamepass subscribers on PC and not on the console? You are factually wrong.

Ice Hockey GIF by NHL

Lets no full stoner here.
Console sales matter because you get more money, if you have more user base.

Only reason you think that is because MS is trillion dollar company. Sorry to break it to you, but they themselves need a reason to keep Xbox.

If it performs badly, they might shutdown the division and go game pass service.
They already go Gamepass service. Everything they do revolves around Gamepass, not console sales.

Last edited:
It's literally their most important vehicle to drive their sub service. Without it, they would not have the same type of sub model, they would just be third party with an EA/Ubisoft style service.

Far cry from the "Netflix of gaming," then.

That's what they should do: stop selling consoles and "sell" GamePass to Sony and Nintendo...

Instead they will pivot again and say that PC is the main driver of GamePass... :D

Mung

If MS doesn't care about making their console actually sell then why should customers care about their console?

And sub sales are driven by hardware ownership. The silence from MS on recent gamepass numbers says a lot. 'Blue sky' wishful thinking won't make their model succeed and suddenly get 100 million subs from a bunch of platforms.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I already posted the link before. Go back a few pages. Confirmed by an employee of Microsoft
They did not confirm a thing, just more ambiguous PR speak. Just like they said "Japan is their fastest growing market" for them. A market they ship less than a handful of consoles in now, but hey you sell 36 consoles that week 15 prior, you doubled growth, eh? (facetious but the point)

"Main driver" is more of that spin. Show us the numbers, because they do not add up knowing what GP was at on consoles before even launching a PC version and the last total numbers we have combined with both. Console is by far the most sub numbers.

I think your hypothesis is driving your analysis on this.

Even if more than 1/2 of 15% comes from PC, that does not mean console or sales in general became a step child. That other 85% still dwarfs the 15%.
Exactly.

Spend more time in math class instead of spin class, kids. There is a reasons they have been fire sale with the S. Hopes to drive more of that digital sub, and the box isn't as in demand as they anticipated it would be.

Last edited:

gimmmick

It was never a competition.

You can't sell a lot of consoles after a bad period.

Xbox needs this Gen to sort Xbox one issues.

Their estimated lifetime would be around 80m-90m.
While PS is Targeting 130+m.

80 - 90 million xsx/s ? Lol

70 million st best

bxrz

They did not confirm a thing, just more ambiguous PR speak. Just like they said "Japan is their fastest growing market" for them. A market they ship less than a handful of consoles in now, but hey you sell 36 consoles that week 15 prior, you doubled growth, eh? (facetious but the point)

"Main driver" is more of that spin. Show us the numbers, because they do not add up knowing what GP was at on consoles before even launching a PC version and the last total numbers we have combined with both. Console is by far the most sub numbers.

Exactly.

Go do math instead of spin, kids.
So your accusing this employee of Microsoft of lying on their professional Linkedin account? 😂

hepfom

Sony isn't going to lower the price to 299 this year. When they start running out of people to buy 500 dollar PS5 Bluray Editions they'll just start manufacturing digital editions at a higher ratio until they run out of those buyers.

Woopah

Dude, it's a simple process.

Xbox one, with small studios, bad rep, low content sold 51+m life time sale.

Xbox this Gen has 23 studios, and will properly own Activision/blizzard. Has gamepass. Plus MS full backing in term of spending.

It's not a wishful thinking. Do all these mean nothing? Do you really think it will be another Xbox one?
Right now MS is struggling to match the sales of Xbox One, they would need to make serious improvements fast to get anywhere even near 70 million
HIFI Rush?
Its a budget title that is a new IP on one platform and on Gamepass. No one should be expecting it to chart in March.

Ah, ok.

I’m just intrigued to see if it will beat PS2.

I think a significant price drop would get them there, but Nintendo being Nintendo, that’s unlikely.
At this point 140 million is highly likely, but hitting PS2 numbers will be challenging unless Nintendo finally does a price cut.

demigod

Nobody wants to be on the losing team I guess. Better be a fake PC / Nintendo fan than take the L.

Don't worry, you will still see those people defending the Xbox every chance they get doing their pr work.
True story, i am a fake PS fan. Gawd it sucks to be on the winning team.

feynoob

Gold Member
It's on the PC as well, on Steam.

Stray charted for Sony, even when it launched on PS+ day to date.

It's almost like marketing can be important and one should not cut that budget.
It's not marketing.
Xbox userbase are small compared to PS. Any sale on PS will overshadow any sale on Xbox.

If Xbox game hits above any PS game, than that game would have seriously sold a massive amount of copies in term of user base to console ratio.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It's not marketing.
Xbox userbase are small compared to PS. Any sale on PS will overshadow any sale on Xbox.

If Xbox game hits above any PS game, than that game would have seriously sold a massive amount of copies in term of user base to console ratio.
While true (for the console), shadow dropping a title such as that, is where they go to die. It's also on the largest platform userbase, the PC/Steam.

You have to market to the mainstream who do not live on the internet enthusiast boards watching these showcases who those that do watch, think a "shadow drop" is an epic win. When it's not.

The brand isn't strong enough globally like Apple or PS can get away with if they attempted it. But they no longer do, and realize concise and timed marketing is what drives volume in return.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
  • PS5 continues to slay.
  • TLOU P1 is selling bonkers -- outseling games like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok in 2023. What a masterstroke by Sony.
  • Third-party software sales (Hogwart's Legacy and Resident Evil 4 Remake) proves how crucial PlayStation is to the gaming market.
  • PS5 casually setting a new March record with no big exclusive titles that month. Wow!
I cannot imagine the destruction that PlayStation will bring when they have a big showcase next month (?!), show Spider-Man 2, announce games like Ghost of Tsushima 2, and kickstart marketing for TLOU Online.

That momentum will easily carry them for the rest of this generation -- which, as it seems like, Sony has already won.

It's not marketing.

Well there's the gamepass effect which does affect sales a bit. How much though we don't really know but the numbers can give us an idea.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Well there's the gamepass effect which does affect sales a bit. How much though we don't really know but the numbers can give us an idea.
UK splits have been giving us an idea for quite some time. The consoles are supposedly neck and neck compared to every other market, but the software splits are massively skewed in one direction. Which are now being reflected in the US as well with the quote saying the splits are now back to the PS2/OG Xbox era.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
While gamepass is an issue, it's the same situation with 3rd party games that aren't on game pass.

2x userbase, plus people who have both console and prefer buying their games on PS.

The situation will get bad if Xbox doesn't gain more user base. I could see more 3rd party AAA games going timed exclusive on PS because of this.

While gamepass is an issue, it's the same situation with 3rd party games that aren't on game pass.

2x userbase, plus people who have both console and prefer buying their games on PS.

The situation will get bad if Xbox doesn't gain more user base. I could see more 3rd party AAA games going timed exclusive on PS because of this.

I wouldn't blame Sony for that to be fair.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
  • PS5 continues to slay.
  • TLOU P1 is selling bonkers -- outseling games like Elden Ring and God of War Ragnarok in 2023. What a masterstroke by Sony.
  • Third-party software sales (Hogwart's Legacy and Resident Evil 4 Remake) proves how crucial PlayStation is to the gaming market.
  • PS5 casually setting a new March record with no big exclusive titles that month. Wow!
I cannot imagine the destruction that PlayStation will bring when they have a big showcase next month (?!), show Spider-Man 2, announce games like Ghost of Tsushima 2, and kickstart marketing for TLOU Online.

That momentum will easily carry them for the rest of this generation -- which, as it seems like, Sony has already won.
And then if Wolverine looks to be a banger the following year, with Logan coming back for Deadpool sequel... the train isn't stopping. And that isn't even counting all the other games from their top 1P studios that aren't even announced yet.

I can't wait to see what GoT2 will look like on PS5 only.

When you have a service conditioning you to wait... people will wait. You see that repeated here, and we are enthusiasts.

Last edited:

NickFire

If it is the same situation it may have the same causation. I would think an ice cream shop would be busier next to a regular chain restaurant than next to a buffet, if you get where I am going.

Crazy that even after Microsoft buying Bethesda and AB (not yet, announced over a year ago, but its pretty much done deal), PS5 continues to break records. Like how da fuck. People really don't care about Microsoft buying these studios... why tho, there's a ton of other games to play, ALSO THERE'S PC to fill the gap lol. Maybe is that.

Jimbo is one of the reason Playstation is so popular in europe. And some fanboys hate him :messenger_beaming:

jim-lyan.gif

Topher

Gold Member
So your accusing this employee of Microsoft of lying on their professional Linkedin account? 😂

Their own PR flip flops to the masses. Their very CEO.

I won't bow down to the "appeal to authority" fallacy. These companies obfuscate all the damned time.

That employee completely changed the wording of his profile. The 15 million number is talking about the coverage of the advertising campaign, not the number of actual PC subscribers:

"Partnered with creative directors at Bethesda & Xbox Game Studios to pilot new growth ideas, making it easier to introduce Xbox Game Pass to an audience of PC players where they already were - a campaign reach of over 15m impressions."

"A marketing impression is defined as the number of opportunities people have to view your campaign. "

Previously the profile said:

"Partnered with creative directors at Bethesda & Xbox Game Studios to pilot new growth ideas, making it easier for over 15M PC players to enjoy Xbox Game Pass"

Last edited:

demigod

Crazy that even after Microsoft buying Bethesda and AB (not yet, announced over a year ago, but its pretty much done deal), PS5 continues to break records. Like how da fuck. People really don't care about Microsoft buying these studios... why tho, there's a ton of other games to play, ALSO THERE'S PC to fill the gap lol. Maybe is that.

Jimbo is one of the reason Playstation is so popular in europe. And some fanboys hate him :messenger_beaming:

jim-lyan.gif
Bryank is on suicide watch

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That employee completely changed the wording of his profile. The 15 million number is talking about the coverage of the advertising campaign, not the number of actual PC subscribers:

"Partnered with creative directors at Bethesda & Xbox Game Studios to pilot new growth ideas, making it easier to introduce Xbox Game Pass to an audience of PC players where they already were - a campaign reach of over 15m impressions."

"A marketing impression is defined as the number of opportunities people have to view your campaign. "

"Partnered with creative directors at Bethesda & Xbox Game Studios to pilot new growth ideas, making it easier for over 15M PC players to enjoy Xbox Game Pass"
If You Say So Shrug GIF

NickFire

[/URL]

I almost can't believe someone was arguing that 15 million ad views proved the horrible news for Xbox was somehow a positive.

Almost being the key word.

And truthfully, I lied when I said can't believe.

Top Bottom