• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD January 2013 Sales Results [Up7: Wii U 57K (CNET), Vita ~35K, PS3 201K]

creamsugar

u top 20 sw

nsmbu
*su
*sonic
*zombi
cod
batman
mickey
*jd4
ac3
skylanders
nfl13
espn
wipeout
nland
rabbids
avengers
nba
ng3re
sing party
fifa

*: 3rd party LTD > 100k

kswiston

Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

200k < PS3 < 250k and more closer to 200k
100k < Wii < 150k and more closer to 100k
100k < 3DS < 150k and more closer to 150k
50K < DS < 100K and more closer to 50k
PSP ~ 10k

Puts things into perspective when people have been calling the Wii a dead system for at least a year now, yet it is still selling 2x the Wii U.

Decent numbers for the PS3.

DS is finally starting to wind down. Nintendo need to figure out how to sell the 3DS outside of the holiday period. Hopefully Pokemon helps.

kswiston

Wow so Ni No Kuni actually outsold DMC (PS3)? I think it's safe to say that the DMC IP might as well be dead at this point.

Is Ni No Kuni's first month the best first month for a PS3 JRPG this generation outside of the FFXIII games? I suppose Demon's Souls or Dark Souls might have been higher, but I can't think of much else.

Pooya

Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

PSP ~ 10k

PS3+Wii are roughly 300k (360 281k 44%, + 57k WiiU) so are those really really close to 100k/200k or is our other numbers wrong or did microsoft not include Wii U in their share? that 57k could make these work when added to Wii and PS3.

DR2K

Banned
spin?

what was my question and what was your answer?

because im still not seeing a resident evil title released anytime near a DMC title that didnt outsell it.

My original point was that the DMC brand name is weak regardless of quality. What's the purpose in adding extra crtiera?

I said plenty of resident Evil games have sold less than 2 million throughout the years, you claimed it was BS. I showed you various sources showing those numbers.

PS3+Wii are roughly 300k (360 281k 44%, + 57k WiiU) so are those really really close to 100k/200k or is our other numbers wrong or did microsoft not include Wii U in their share? that 57k could make these work when added to Wii and PS3.
I want to follow your post!

Help me understand! Lol

zeopower6

Nice! So Ni no Kuni has essentially already outsold the Japanese release + All in One edition, it seems. :) This only counts for like a week or two of sales for Ni no Kuni too, right?

Hero

Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

PSP ~ 10k

Black and White referring to U breakdown? If so, basic needs to go.

u top 20 sw

nsmbu
*su
*sonic
*zombi
cod
batman
mickey
*jd4
ac3
skylanders
nfl13
espn
wipeout
nland
rabbids
avengers
nba
ng3re
sing party
fifa

*: 3rd party LTD > 100k

So it seems that big third party game that bombed is indeed Skylanders. Not surprising considering it was on Wii and Xbox 360 which are both much cheaper and more likely that a kid interested in it has one of those systems.

Still, not bad for Scribblenauts, Zombi U, Sonic and Just Dance 4.

Is CoD anywhere near the 100k mark?

jvm

Gamasutra.
Well done. ;)

Yes, for those figures. And yes, Microsoft included the Wii U in its figure. :)

Pooya

I want to follow your post!

Help me understand! Lol

lol, ok.

here it goes, from the the data we have, PS3+Wii are 300k, that's assuming MS included Wii U and it's 57k in it's market share when reporting 44%.

cream says PS3 and Wii are above 200k and 100k respectively but closer to those than 250/150. I think it makes sense that MS didn't include Wii U sales in their market share then so they can be like 12x, 22x something.

I want to clear this up, it would be useful in coming months to see whether MS includes Wii U in their reported marketshare or not, that is all.

edit:

Well done. ;)

thanks a lot.

Sandfox

I'm more curious as to how the 3DS sells in the next two months than this one. If it doesn't pick up after that they may need more attractive deals.

lol, ok.

here it goes, from the the data we have, PS3+Wii are 300k, that's assuming MS included Wii U and it's 57k in it's market share when reporting 44%.

cream says PS3 and Wii are above 200k and 100k respectively but closer to those than 250/150. I think it makes sense that MS didn't include Wii U sales in their market share then so they can be like 12x, 22x something.

I want to clear this up, it would be useful in coming months to see whether MS includes Wii U in their reported marketshare or not, that is all.

edit:

thanks a lot.

Thanks! Just wait til we switch gens again this year.

Keep your Rosetta Stone handy

Can we finally stop pretending 3DS is doing good in America now?

This. Nintendo is doing poorly in the US. I imagine that will change for the 3DS this coming summer. They have boatloads of stuff on the way (unless it gets delayed). It will never be the DS as long as these idiots continue to charge 30 dollars for stuff like Brain Age, but it's going to do well. The bad thing is they're underperforming throughout most of Europe as well.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
It's funny that the 3DS number is bad, and then the vita is still there being so astronomically terrible that it's sad to see.

My original point was that the DMC brand name is weak regardless of quality. What's the purpose in adding extra crtiera?

I said plenty of resident Evil games have sold less than 2 million throughout the years, you claimed it was BS. I showed you various sources showing those numbers.

No you are trying to say that DMC as a brand is failing because RE outsells it.

I pointed out this has always been the case. Its not a measure of anything.

DMC4 selling 2.7 million means nothing in this discussion. As the most recent RE release to that time sold 6 million

I suppose Resident Evil is a failing franchise because no entry has beaten SF2 right?

Make whatever moronic dialogue you want about the genre, but don't try and use the sales of a totally different franchise and genre to explain the sales or lack thereof of another.

This DmC defending is reaching inane levels. You people can't just say you like the game and you are sad it sold poorly.

AniHawk

I keep hearing pikmin.
What's pikmin? Are people calling Pokemon pikmin as part of some meme or something?

250px-Pikmin_2_Case.jpg

not sure if you were serious, but it has been nine years since the last pikmin game came out, so i'll give you the benefit of the doubt.

Well done. ;)

Do you have the numbers now too jvm?

In any event, Microsoft could have 43.6% share giving a total consoles of 644.5K.

Leaving 306.5K for the Wii and PS3. Something like 103K, 203K respectively perhaps.

Wii is almost double Wii U. Yikes.

Soriku

there was a movie that came out about five years ago that he's referencing.

yeah well they only have themselves to blame for expensive hardware and expensive software. make the hardware $99, and make the games $30, and it'd find its feet fast.

$99 is too low for HW (maybe $120-150), but $30 for most games and $35 for Square Enix Premium Tax&#8482; games is fine. They shouldn't have increased the price to $40.

Petrae

That 3DS range puts the platform negative YOY despite the extra tracking week. Not a good start to the year, but again: no games means tougher sales. This will, of course, change as we get deeper into 2013... but it doesn't help in the short-term.

So in a rare 5 week rating period, the 3DS did about 25k a week. In a month following a holiday period in which they were down hundreds of thousands of units from the previous year. Not the trajectory you want to be on in year 3.

So it looks like the 3DS sold 4x as much as the Vita. Sony am cry.

Thanks for pulling through creamsugar!

Sony's used to it. Nintendo's crying over those 3DS numbers.

Petrae

Black ~ 83%
White ~ 17%

PSP ~ 10k

Thanks for contributing these ranges and other data. It fills in missing pieces for armchair hardware data analysis. It is very much appreciated.

So, 528k in the first month for DMC4, to 187k for DmC. I know it's the end of the generation and all and people were less hyped for DmC than DMC4, but is that... normal?

Top Bottom