• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for January 2014 [Up3: PS4/XB1 #1/#2 best selling; Poke/SM3DW/ALBW]

quest

Not Banned from OT
I wonder what will happen if things continue like this for the XBone and Microsoft does sell it off/spin it off to another company. Would third parties follow the brand? Could a company without as deep pockets as Microsoft actually fix it without operating in the red for years on end?

It won't be spun off be no point still be feeding it cash to get off life support. No one will buy it as a whole because it is a shrinking market with no huge margins on hardware for a samsung. It will be sold off in peices with MS keeping some of the valuable patents(like kinect patents) and fire sale on the rest.

As long as they could get the price down, the third party games will help.

Appealing exclusive content + features alongside good third party support at a good price is a good combo.

Yeah the price is killing them. If they bring it down to parity with the PS4 the difference in visuals will matter but not enough to keep them out of a profitable console.

while true, i think the big difference between the two was supply. i forgot the ps3 was incredibly supply-restrained until january. the xbox one was kinda everywhere throughout a lot of december. it took the ps3 longer to hit 2.1m
I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I remember by early December I was tripping over stacks of them at my local BestBuy.

I also remember one of the Sony execs challenging anyone who could find one with a $1200 dollar bounty and the thread for it was instantly filled with pictures of stacks people were finding at their local retailer.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
That's a possibility, but not one I ascribe to as yet, because it begs the question: where has the market gone?

And I don't believe mobile/tablets as yet, serves as a sufficient substitute for a home console device. It may in the future, but I don't think it does yet.
Right, I think when we look at what's still performing in the market we see:

1.) AAAA megablockbusters are doing better than ever, and people wolf them down on an annual basis and buy a ton of DLC and microtransactions for them to boot.

2.) Small indie games are on a strong upward trend, especially on PC.

3.) f2p games are very strong both on PC and mobile.

4.) Digital game downloads are healthy, be they paid iOS apps, Steam games, or major XBLA titles. The smaller titles on these systems don't always do so hot (there's a sea of failed XBLA games and iOS paid titles), but there are still a lot of strong points to look at.

However, much of what made up the console and handheld market (retail games of a more modest scale) have had their market evaporate, and the casual market has left both handhelds and home consoles in favor of mobile or select f2p/browser experiences.

Outside of the PS4/XB1 there isn't a great place to play category #1, and until there is, they still have a market. Looking like the crappier, more expensive system to play them on however is not conducive to good sales.

AniHawk

I could be wrong but I'm pretty sure that wasn't the case. I remember by early December I was tripping over stacks of them at my local BestBuy.

I also remember one of the Sony execs challenging anyone who could find one with a $1200 dollar bounty and the thread for it was instantly filled with pictures of stacks people were finding at their local retailer.

i remember we didn't really have ps3s in stock until right around christmas. and then we got a huge supply of them (like 20 consoles) right after.

considering the drop, and knowing how the fanbase for these consoles were trained on the ps3 and 360, it wouldn't surprise me if you were seeing incredibly frontloaded sales.

there could also be an aspect of the limited supply of all other launches bleeding demand past the holidays. I definitely think this was the case for the PS3 which is the system you singled out for the comparison

N.Domixis

Banned
well I am ready to eat my crow I predicted same ratio from December but with smaller number. Since in both case ps4 was supply constraint and xb1 all over.

This can't be good for MS. The console was design first and foremost for US. how can they survive? hell, sony at least has a little hope in japan.

This is an unbelievable change of events

nah, the 360 was an anomaly, everything is just returning to the days of playstation domination.

AniHawk

It has been a while so I could be remembering early January instead. I'm sure someone else can shed some light on it.

all i really remember is having the first post-launch shipment in forever, and then we got a stack of ps3s to the ceiling and we were all wondering when, if ever, we would sell all of them.

Thanks, Aquamarine!
honestly? steam. and sorta pc in general. microsoft was right to make the xbox one a sort of digital platform, but they also wanted a retail box with retail games and fucked up the execution in an amazing way.
Hmm, distinct possibility. Especially for those after a really good mix of indie/AAA and what remains of mid-tier. I wonder if NPD will include Steam machines at some point.
only january, nov and dec were leagues ahead for the one, ps3 cratered to not quite wii u levels but the worst for its time by june.
For reference:
UxelKzr.jpg

It will be a long while before the PS3 and 360 manage to cross streams with the PS4 and XB1 I imagine.

Wii will probably cross with XB1 in March though by my guess.

McHuj

I think these results show pretty clearly that their is only one desirable console at the moment in the market, PS4. The remaining consoles are either undesirable (WiiU) or over priced (X1, X360, PS3).

It's obvious the $499 price is killer for MS on the X1. But who in their right mind would pay $200-$250 for a 360 or PS3 at this point? Both should be sub $150 and bargain bin.

On the PS4, I think Sony allocated many more units to NA for holiday, but started to move more units to Europe for January as well as stock piling some for Japan. If they make 1M a month (I know Pachter claimed 1.4, but that was a theory not a fact), I think a reasonable estimate would be ~300k to NA, ~500k to rest of world, ~200k stock piled for Japan launch. It would not surprise me if Sony was over 5M sell through (they were projecting publicly end of March).

Lace

So PS4 sold 130k more than XB1 in Jan. Not insignificant, but not really screaming XB1 doooooomed.

I think the issue is it's 130k in the one market Xbox had a stranglehold on. Worldwide it's only going to be much larger which is why there is concern.

BPoole

I sure hope things don't continue to look this grim in the coming months. I'm glad the PS4 is doing well but god damn Nintendo and MS, get your shit together or we are going to have another gen 6 on our hands

So... YoY drops from the numbers we have, correct me if wrong.

360 seems to be -82%?
PS3 -70%

3DS - Down, no idea of %
WiiU - Down, no idea of %

Even going 5 weeks to 4, this is fucking terrible.

On top of that one new console doing 143k and the other < 286k?

Just one big clusterfuck, all of it.

Currently that isn't true.

One has outsold PS3 significantly to date. But with this very precipitous drop who knows how long that will last. I honestly didn't expect it to start performing worse on a monthly unit basis until around May or June. This low this quick is almost as shocking as WiiU's first Jan cratering.

edit: Damn it.

I saw the post before the edit and now I look schizophrenic.

Honestly believe alot of why the system did so well in December was people buying gifts and unable to get PS4s so they just decided to get a X1 instead. Alot of people don't like seeing their loved ones disappointed/angry(spoiled), so they got the next best thing. I think the gap will widen as PS4 stock becomes available at retail. Stock finally came in for more than a day at Amazon http://amzn.com/B00BGA9WK2

Tobor

I sure hope things don't continue to look this grim in the coming months. I'm glad the PS4 is doing well but god damn Nintendo and MS, get your shit together or we are going to have another gen 6 on our hands

This is the best case scenario. We should be so lucky.

quest

Not Banned from OT
So PS4 sold 130k more than XB1 in Jan. Not insignificant, but not really screaming XB1 doooooomed.

It is the low number the Xbone sold that is the issue. If it was 630k vs 500k there would be no doom talk. But 130k with fully stuffed retail chain is a disaster. Might was well get the pole vaulter GIF out because it will go sub 100k soon as next month.

Remember when everyone (hell even me) thought it was Microsofts gen to dominate?
They really shit the bed. It was more MS blowing it than anything Sony did. All Microsoft had to do was release a console as powerful as PS4, without Kinect, $399, and none of the DRM drama and they would have won this gen. This epic blunder should be discussed in business classes down the line, it's that bad.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
So the Wii U basically did the same as last year's January (considering that was a 5 week month and this Jan was a 4 week month)... Not sure what to think except that it's just continuing to be terrible... Aqua, any idea what the Dreamcast was selling at on the same time (Jan)?

Also, any 3DS numbers? Vita/Wii might be interesting though I guess.

jay

That's 49k more WiiUs out there in just one month's time. If it can maintain this pace for 55 more years, it will have sold a respectable 32 million in the US alone.

If you guys are freaking out right now about game console numbers - wait till you see how freaked out Apple and Samsung are regarding the future growth of smartphones and peoples' willingness to replace them in developed markets over the next 60 months.

By some accounts we are very close to sustained secular decline for the rate of growth in smartphone sales in the United States.

This is because of the rise of "Bring your own Device" plans that unpair your service from your smart phone. When people have to pay hundreds of dollars for marginal upgrades to their phone, they think twice especially if they can just pocket the difference of that monthly fee.

If there isn't a killer app developed for next-gen smartphones that motivates people to get excited about upgrading their phones at full prices then the growth prospects of that industry aren't too hot either beyond natural replacement rates. That might in turn have some positive effect on new consoles, but consoles are also looking for a hit game and nothing on the horizon seems to have that promise for now.

Anyways, the overall decline of video game sales has a silver lining. The industry can shrink and focus again on good design rather than modeling serial numbers and dog teeth to please a tiny audience of users.

I am ridiculously excited about indie developers and believe they will push new types of game play. I also believe if consoles are going to match last gen's userbase, it is going to be because of something amazing an indie or small studio produces. I see less probability in the "AAA" stuff driving demand going forward because those experiences aren't novel anymore.

What's more exciting: if these behemoth "AAA" studios slim down and a bunch just die out, we could experience another golden age of gaming where we get late 80s through mid 90s level awesomeness with teams of 5-30 people coming together to make well-designed games targeting a variety of users and needs. You will be able to play those games anywhere... on the iPad or your phone or maybe even on your new smart watch... with a variety of different input methods (from pedometer to camera to touch to traditional controls) and features...

Oh, and before someone mentions it... obligatory "These results came right after Pachter said 'This generation will be the biggest yet!'"

B.O.O.M

Holy fk at these sales.....no wonder MS wrote that essay with so much gibberish and Ninty have a ND

I was joking about vita being 10k but now that won't be much of a surprise at all it seems lol SCEA not giving a fuck doesn't help either

All things considered PS4 did amazing!

According to Aqua and Creamsugar posts:

360<48K
50K<Ps3<55K
AniHawk put 60K for PS3 in his guess, iirc. So 50k<PS3<60k.

Everything excluding PS3+PS4 is less than 330K, but more than 320K. Take 141K for XB1 and 49K for Wii U and you have 130-140K for everything else i.e. 3DS, 360, PSV, PSP, NDS Wii.

Top Bottom