• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for March 2015 [Up1: Nintendo numbers, PS4 placing]

RexNovis

Banned
It's Battlefield, it was always going to beat it out. It's just awesome Bloodborne was stronger than Dark Souls 2.

EA did the right thing delaying it till March though. That game would've gotten destroyed by Call of Duty if it released as scheduled.

Bloodborne was really close.

BF H did > 1 million, biggest sku was XB1 with >430k. PS4 BF >400k. BB did 390k. Considering how big the BF IP is, BB was surprisingly close.

Well as you all can see by my new tag (-_-) I clearly thought Hardline was gonna underperform. The figures online and personal circumstantial evidence really had me going. The game just seemed dreadfully underwhelming to me in every sense of the word. I just didn't realize how much weight the battlefield brand carried. Figured consumers would slough it off. Like I said I guess I'm more out of touch with the western market than I thought.

Type 0 should had been a Vita games in the end.
it was clear that ps4 is the best selling console the real question is by how much

Square Enix couldn't even dream of shipping 1 million Type-0 Vita copies.

Type-O HD may not have been a smash hit, but it did better than any Vita game could.

DryvBy

Well as you all can see by my new tag (-_-) I clearly thought Hardline was gonna underperform. The figures online and personal circumstantial evidence really had me going. The game just seemed dreadfully underwhelming to me in every sense of the word. I just didn't realize how much weight the battlefield brand carried. Figured consumers would slough it off. Like I said I guess I'm more out of touch with the western market than I thought.

lol just saw that. Congrats!

RexNovis

Banned
lol just saw that. Congrats!

I'm not sure congratulations is the correct word here.

I'm annoyed with the BF:H figures too. I know game mods is foreign to a lot of people so they probably don't see how BF:H is a mod. And not even a really well-done mod. It still feels like it's in beta or something to me.

What's sad is I own a copy of BF:H on PS4 but that's because it was a gift. I've invested maybe 6 hours total into it. I've been a fan of the series since it was a PC-exclusive title. Even thought BF4 was broken beyond belief at launch, it's a solid multiplayer shooter these days. I can load that up any day of the week and have fun. BF:H is one of those games I don't even check my stats on. I think I'm a 0.40 k/d because Hotwire is the easiest way to grind cash and get an MVP award. Such a mess of a game.

As a Bad Company fan I feel much the same way about Hardline which is why it's killing me that I've been branded with this poor excuse for a game as a tag. What a shitty shitty day.

To be fair to you, it DID do badly by Battlefield standards.

Comparison for Square Enix Remasters

X|X-2 HD = 208k (PS3)
KH 1.5 HD = >270k (PS3)
KH 2.5 HD = >=275k (PS3)
Type-0 HD = >200K (PS4/XBO)

Honestly Type-0 HD isn't so bad for a PSP remaster selling for $60. It sold as good as FF X|X-2 HD on PS3, and that was a much more popular FF that launched at $40 compared to $60 for Type-0 HD.

RexNovis

Banned

Did it really? I thought it performed comparably to BF4. Honestly I was expecting like ~650k so it tore my predictions to shreds either way. I wouldn't really classify over 1 million in sales as underperforming.

I thought Malaysian Laksa has a darker color to the soup like this one:
29dFaqs.jpg

The one I linked earlier was Singaporean Laksa, which I've always recognized as having a much lighter (more milky/creamy) color to the soup.

The darker color one is asam laksa. The one you originally linked is curry laksa. Both are delicious.

Ombala

Nice too see BB up there I expect it too drop alot too next month tho.
And the U.S really love their games with guns it seems.

Dark_castle

Happy for Bloodborne's sales, as well as Mario Party 10. Enjoyed it despite the mediocre reviews.

Wasn't very surprised with Type-0 HD barely making the chart though. $60 is just overpriced for a remastered PSP title with only graphical improvement and minor game balance changes, and before people bringing Episode Duscae up, I just don't believe a demo is that much of a big deal. People who wants to try it out could find codes on Ebay instead for much lesser than $60.

Well as you all can see by my new tag (-_-) I clearly thought Hardline was gonna underperform.

Never underestimate the power of shootbang™ for a mainstream series.

Now seeing how well Hardline sold for a spinoff, Battlefront should do gangbusters even if it's only current-gen.

Donos

Hardline is rather a big Expansion than a true mainline entry. If this was BF5, i would agree with you. But lot of BF fans like me are into BF for conquest large with tanks, jets, helis, AA and etc.

Comes down to cost at the end of the day, if they start to see the numbers not make sense then they we will see them starting to drop Xbox, I can't see it anytime soon But who knows.

Japanese Xbox support this generation is poor. If you look at how many Japanese games that are skipping Xbox One, I think it's clear they learned their lesson from last generation. What SE does with FFXV and KHIII depends on how well or badly FFXV sells on Xbox One I guess. I'm expecting the split to be the same as Type 0, if not worse because I theorise many people will wait until FFXV launches to buy a PS4, especially if a bundle is involved.

KZObsessed

Wow. Bloodborne exceeded my expectations.

DS2 : <350k 25 days
BB : <390k 12 days

Thats pretty astonishing. Outselling the predecessor despite it being on multi platforms, having twice the tracking period and having a considerably larger install base.

Wow that's even better than I thought. There has to be more PS4 exclusives from FROM Software now, it's worked out too well for all parties. Sony would be crazy not to secure more.

Bloodborne did very well, I underestimated Battlefield, and Mario Party did much better than I was expecting. Nice to see Toad and Kirby continuing to sell, too.

The amount of interest in the Mario Party Amiibo bundle only further confirms to me that there is legitimate interest in the figures that Nintendo isn't taking proper advantage of. Get a full-on Amiibo game out for the holidays, Nintendo.

EGM1966

Is the gap tracking to be smaller between PS4 and XB1 by October 2016 or larger or roughly the same? Curious to see if there's enough trends visible already to get a view on whether XB1 will be further behind - gap wise - or closer to PS4 heading into October and Halo launch?

SPAW

Comparison for Square Enix Remasters

Honestly Type-0 HD isn't so bad for a PSP remaster selling for $60. It sold as good as FF X|X-2 HD on PS3, and that was a much more popular FF that launched at $40 compared to $60 for Type-0 HD.

Interesting data, and lets hope SE have learned that not even a FFXV-demo can sell a remaster for 60 $.

Game Guru

Bloodborne did very well, I underestimated Battlefield, and Mario Party did much better than I was expecting. Nice to see Toad and Kirby continuing to sell, too.

The amount of interest in the Mario Party Amiibo bundle only further confirms to me that there is legitimate interest in the figures that Nintendo isn't taking proper advantage of. Get a full-on Amiibo game out for the holidays, Nintendo.

You do realize that Skylanders and Disney Infinity really only exist to sell figures. Meanwhile, Amiibo seems to be selling fine on its own without a game like that.

Is the gap tracking to be smaller between PS4 and XB1 by October 2016 or larger or roughly the same? Curious to see if there's enough trends visible already to get a view on whether XB1 will be further behind - gap wise - or closer to PS4 heading into October and Halo launch?

Bigger I think it was 1 million before hols down to 500k now up to 700k with 6 months before October, ps4 has a steady stream of games plus batman and metal gear marketing/bundles versus not much, maybe madden marketing? Unless Microsoft has some surprises and more "promotions".

Perhaps you are blissfully ignorant of Bloodborne actually selling less than each of the next gen BF:H SKUs.

BF:H XB1 > BF:H PS4 > Bloodborne

Murrica!

Kinda sapped the joy out of the Bloodborne figures for me.
Why though? BF is fun and FPS are still a big part of U.S favorite past-time. Still have other popular genres like open world lego with Minecraft, GTA, PC scene with LoL, etc...Souls games is basically popularizing a new genre which other studios will likely emulate and it seems to be growing in popularity. all is well.

Rurunaki

Aside feom The Witcher 3 releasing next month, what are we looking forward to for the month of May? Seems like a slow month to me.

Aside feom The Witcher 3 releasing next month, what are we looking forward to for the month of May? Seems like a slow month to me.
Speaking of Witcher 3, do you guys think it has a shoot at matching BB sales?

Personally speaking, I can see it doing more than 500k in its debut month on the high end, and <400k on the low end.

allan-bh

Yeh, but did the previous part do any well?

What is the LTD for W2 on Xbox 360, and what was its debut month?

I don't think debut was very good. It's 6th place and 1st sold less than 235k.

The Witcher is more strong on PC but I'm feeling a good amount of hype for consoles versions of The Witcher III.

Amir0x

Banned
Tearaway is at 75k now.... that doesn't include digital sales, right?

At least some people got to play that amazing game *tears*

You do realize that Skylanders and Disney Infinity really only exist to sell figures. Meanwhile, Amiibo seems to be selling fine on its own without a game like that.

They're selling fine, but they're selling mainly to a base of hardcore collectors by this point. Getting the figures established with a range of minor features in different games is probably a good move, but I think a title built from the ground up with Amiibo in mind coupled with a decent supply of the figures has a much better chance of getting some mainstream attention, even if it can't compete with Skylanders.

A title with decent Amiibo features has finally hit the market, complete with an Amiibo bundle, and it's performed very well. I feel like it'd be a good idea to capitalise on that, is all.

Do we have any updated LTD figures on Amiibo?

Perhaps you are blissfully ignorant of Bloodborne actually selling less than each of the next gen BF:H SKUs.

BF:H XB1 > BF:H PS4 > Bloodborne

Murrica!

Kinda sapped the joy out of the Bloodborne figures for me.
You do understand that some might have bought both? And of course fps from hugely popular franchise sells more than "niche" RPG.

Ridley327

One can hope that the people who were interested in the game and didn't buy it will be there for the PS4 version later this summer. Media Molecule appears to have put a ton of work into it, and the hot streak the PS4 has been on should be conducive to a much better lifespan for the title. I hope so, since Tearaway is by far the best thing Media Molecule has done, and I really hope that they do more with 3D gameplay in the future.

Alrus

One can hope that the people who were interested in the game and didn't buy it will be there for the PS4 version later this summer. Media Molecule appears to have put a ton of work into it, and the hot streak the PS4 has been on should be conducive to a much better lifespan for the title. I hope so, since Tearaway is by far the best thing Media Molecule has done, and I really hope that they do more with 3D gameplay in the future.

Maybe Sony will actually bother advertising it this time too.

ascii42

What were FFX/X-2 Vita's first month sales? I'm pretty sure they were more than Type-0 XB1 sales.

Yeah, considering it sold 14k in the first month, that's pretty good legs. There have been pretty good sales on it, too, so I'm hopeful it sold a lot digitally.

Top Bottom