• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for May 2013 [Up2: 360, 3DS Est, Software lowest since May 2000]

AniHawk

what a shitty way to end the generation. nintendo, microsoft, and sony should have had everything ready a year earlier.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Does NPD include digital sales?

Only once a quarter: http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...sales-total-3-5-billion-in-first-quarter.aspx

Game Informer said:
The video game industry tracking organization says that sales on total video game content were the same as the first quarter of a year ago, with digital content sales rising.

In the company's Games Market Dynamics: U.S. report, NPD revealed that a total of $3.5 billion had been spent on game content in the first quarter of this year. This figure consists of $1.37 billion spent on physical retail console and PC games, $559 million on used and rental physical games, and $1.59 billion on digital content (including full games, add-ons and expansion packs, subscriptions, mobile games, and social games).

The total spend of $3.5 billion is actually identical to the same quarter in 2012, although digital sales do make up a bigger piece of the pie this year.

With digital the industry is actually not shrinking.

Kusagari

I'm guessing the only reason Injustice even held the top spot is because it was literally on sale everywhere in May.

Really interested to see if it's above 100k.

AniHawk

Kinda surprised Resident Evil Revelaitons bombed to that degree. I mean, full price was insanity, but still.

Wonder if we'll get a little more WiiU ballpark than >30k. I woulda thought this would be its worst month, but maybe June or July could supply that too.

could be that the wii u and vita have a floor. both will start seeing games hit with more regularity later this year.

evangd007

They also provided that Animal Crossing sold over 200.000 units in that week. (or shipped)

animal_crossing_sales.png

That's more likely to be sold digital and retail. In either scenario, it does not guarantee 200k sales in NPD next month.

prag16

Banned
Lego Batman 2, I wonder if that is Wii U related as the game on other platforms is very old.
Not impossible. People satisfied with LEGO City may have jumped on it.

Though Wii U is pretty far back on the platform order. Does that rank by monthly or LTD sales?

Dipswitch

Hmmmmm, low, low sales figures. Could it be that everyone is tired of spending $300 or close to it, for a console with a hard drive? You know, less than 6 months before the successor consoles come out, 7/8 years after the previous gen started.

I'd ask them to drop the price, but I can't be arsed, since I no longer have any interest in this generation.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Wow, I'm shocked BF3 shot back up into the top 10. Didn't it leave a few months ago? What caused it to shoot back up?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Wow, I'm shocked BF3 shot back up into the top 10. Didn't it leave a few months ago? What caused it to shoot back up?

It's probably selling about the same as it usually does, but the bottom of the bucket is lower now.

That or sales are so low that a software sale caused it to rechart.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
So WiiU was 38k for April, somewhere around 33k-34k here. 30k floor for Wiiu? I mean there is nothing releasing at all right now. Total ghost town. Never seen a new home console have absolutely no affect on the end of generation ambivalence to such an extent.

Pre-orders for PS4 and Xbone are looking strong and will hopefully be what the doctor ordered because these are the fucking dog days and then some.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
The 3DS will clearly do well at this point, once Animal Crossing and Pokemon are out to help it along it'll do even better.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I'm glad RE bombed. Releasing a marginally improved game and charging $50 for it is lunacy.

The $50 in addition to stick acceleration issues/aim issues on ALL the releases certainly didn't help. Did Capcom even bother to patch/re-release the demo to show that hey, we fixed it!?

I know they supposedly fixed the PC version but they still haven't (to my knowledge) fixed any of the console releases.

Well, if anyone with access can answer these questions, I'm sure they will help us:

Wiiu > 2xVita?
2xWiiU < PS3 < 3xWiiU?
WiiU > Wii?
DS > WiiU?

Top Bottom