• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NT Analogue announces Super NT

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date

JP

M Minister of the Dog
It may be possible, the FPGA would certainly be capable of that but you have to remember that whenever you switch the FPGA on then a large part of that chip is being used just for that on it's own. Kevtris has said that he has space left over to add new features at some point but it's not known exactly what he means by that or also how it would take to implement what's already on the SD2SNES.

Many of the cores that were released on the Mini Nt had been in the works for years before they were released on that and he may well have moved onto another project with Analogue before that. I suppose it is possible that he could work with the people on the SD2SNES to bring those features across but as they make money from the cartridge it probably wouldn't really make sense for them to do that.

I'd image that the FPGA would be more than capable of supporting the extra chips but it just seems that things are stacked against it happening because of everything else. I obviously can't say that it's impossible but it does some unlikely.

Yeah, don't get me wrong, I'm sure I'll add all the all the MSU1 modded games to the cartridge as soon as I get it because I do find them really interesting but I also sort of miss the original music in them. I'm not sure if it's possible but it would be nice if it was possible to be able to play both versions of a game and use the same save on both of them because you could then just choose whichever version suits your mood at the time.

EDIT:
I should add that kevtris has said that he's hoping to get the next firmware update out this week with quite a few game fixes. No idea if the jailbreak update will releasee the same day like it did last time.

Last edited:

dolabla

dolabla dolabla
I keep switching between different settings and I just can't decide which I prefer.

1080p is definitely a lot sharper than 720p for me even though I'm using a 4k so 3x720p is a better fit once I've messed around with overscan on my TV. 1080p sounds the same as it is for you with it either being too much or too little to work perfectly. These are the tribulations of using something that duplicates a 20 year old technology on something that it was never really designed to work on.

Have you tried scanlines at 1080p? They don't look as good as they do at 720p but as long as you're using integer scaling on the vertical axis then that gets rid of the main issues. kevtris pretty much said that he was going to back and redo the scanlines from scratch so hopefully there will be an improvement for everybody who uses them then.

I'm on Discord with kevtris and it sounds like we should be expecting an update this week sometime as it should be with the beta testers at the moment so as long as it's working OK it shouldn't be too far off. It does sound like the new scanline implementation won't be in this update as he seems to have been concentrating on relatively small bugs that games like Marvellous, Batman Returns, Chrono Trigger, etc were having. I think the priority is to get rid of any bugs first that could stop people playing particular games rather than rework something that isn't exactly essential even though I really like scanlines.

Hopefully most of the bugs will be gone this time although I'm sure some will pop up from time to time, once were past this then he'll move onto adding new features and enhancements to it.

I keep hovering over the buy button for a SD2SNES cart..because I clearly haven't already spent enough on the Super Nt already with the console, the controllers and the games that I've been spending money on recently. They seem quiet a bit ore complicated than the alternative firmware for the Super NT though so I'm not quite sure yet if I'm going to get one.

Yeah, I did try scanlines at 1080p. The best looking way I've seen so far @ 1080p was 1462 x 1200. But the height of 1200 just cuts off too much of the screen.

That's awesome we're getting a new update. Has he mentioned anything about adding new feature in this update? Or is just mainly bug fixes? One of the games you listed (Batman Returns) I just ordered two days ago is coming too, ha. Hopefully whatever bug there is is fixed.

Lol, you aren't kidding about spending money. The SD2SNES is expensive :p

Heck, just this week I've bought a total of 7 games, haha. I'm going broke, but it's worth it. :D. I just ordered my first repro cart today from Retro Circuits. I ordered Clock Tower. I never even heard of it until a few weeks ago, but it looks right up my alley being a survival horror type game. Sucks it never released outside of Japan.

And just a heads up, if you do plan to order repros one day, I talked to Retro Circuits a few weeks ago to see if their carts use the correct voltage (5v) so it won't fry Super NTs and official SNES'. They confirmed to me that all their carts use 100% 5v parts with the exception of a few Genesis games that use 3.3v roms but they said those games signals are properly up and down translated so no worries there either. Kevtris also confirmed somebody's SNES cart over on AtariAge from Retro Circuits looks to indeed be all 5v parts so that's definitely some reassurance.

Last edited:

dolabla

My haul for the week:

Mortal Kombat 1, Mortal Kombat 2, Mortal Kombat 3, F-Zero, Pilotwings, Batman Returns, Goof Troop, Clock Tower (repro).

Nothing real expensive (except for Clock Tower imo, but that's because it's a repro), but it does add up. It really sucks having to re-buy some of these games that you used to own :mad:

I'm also looking at getting Secret of Evermore and Illusion of Gaia this weekend. Never played them before, but I've been reading good things about them. I really need to pick up The Adventures of Batman & Robin too, but it's pretty expensive. I'll probably hold off on that for the time being.

Last edited:
Since getting the Super NT in March, I picked up Legend of Zelda (A Link to the Past), Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The Secret of Mana, Pilotwings, HAL Hole in One Golf, Pinball Dreams, Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, Super Mario All Stars, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, and F-Zero. So, yeah, I've gone a little crazy with this thing! :)

dolabla

Since getting the Super NT in March, I picked up Legend of Zelda (A Link to the Past), Magical Quest Starring Mickey Mouse, The Secret of Mana, Pilotwings, HAL Hole in One Golf, Pinball Dreams, Road Runner's Death Valley Rally, Super Mario All Stars, Super Metroid, Super Castlevania IV, Super Mario World, and F-Zero. So, yeah, I've gone a little crazy with this thing! :)

Lol, nice list! I still gotta pick up some of the ones you listed. It's definitely been fun buying games for it. I got Secret of Evermore over the weekend. Really looking forward to playing it. I lost out on Illusion of Gaia though.

Firmware 4.5 is now it:

v4.5 notes:
- Fixed Rendering Ranger R2 / Targa.
- Fixed Unholy Night crash/graphics issue.
- Fixed an issue with Marvelous: Another Treasure Island works now without graphic glitches.
- Fixed an issue with Chrono Trigger crashing on entering save menu.
- Fixed Flashback’s audio buzz when entering inventory.
- Fixed Arabian Nights audio feedback issue.
- Fixed Tiny Toons Buster Busts Loose audio crash
- Fixed Batman Returns audio crash
- Fixed the RGB value -1 fix again to remove vertical zebra stripes.
- Changed wording of the checkbox in the cheat codes. It now says “enable checked codes” to reduce confusion.
- Changed “tools” menu to “cheat codes”.
- Added a “disable hotkeys” feature under hot keys. This lets you disable all hotkeys and controller auto polling until power is cycled.
- Fixed “menu bounce” setting so it shows up again.
- Added debugger under “hardware” menu (probably not the most useful for most people but I use it a lot so someone developing a game might find it useful).

V2Tommy

My haul for the week:

I'm also looking at getting Secret of Evermore

I hope you like mazes! I just recently replayed it on my Super Nt, all the way through, and holy hell is it ever difficult to find your way around. Between the level design and difficulty of the last boss, I've changed my mind about the game entirely, having loved it all this time and owned since launch. Sold my cartridge last week, too!

dolabla

I hope you like mazes! I just recently replayed it on my Super Nt, all the way through, and holy hell is it ever difficult to find your way around. Between the level design and difficulty of the last boss, I've changed my mind about the game entirely, having loved it all this time and owned since launch. Sold my cartridge last week, too!

Haha, I watched some gameplay of it. It looks right up my alley, but you'll just never know until you actually play it. I'm ready for the challenge :). I can't wait to dive into it.

V2Tommy

Haha, I watched some gameplay of it. It looks right up my alley, but you'll just never know until you actually play it. I'm ready for the challenge :). I can't wait to dive into it.

...and the music is phenomenal, so there's that. I just played Mana before Evermore, and the upgrade in audio is staggering.

JP

The Jailbreak Firmware v6.6 has just gone live now.

It includes all the improvements from the Official Firmware v4.5 that was released earlier today (See above for details) as well as some real surprises with Star Ocean finally working and CopySNES being added, means that you can dump your own cartridges as well as backing up your game saves for safe keeping. So happy with those.
GitHub said:
  • All official v4.5 fixes plus:
  • Added CopySNES. Lets you dump carts/save RAM to the SD card. Files are placed into /COPYSNES/. The directory is created if it does not exist. See the text file for full instructions.
  • Star Ocean 96mbit works now.
  • Changed menu operation so that if you enter the settings menu in the file browser, it can be exited back to the file browser by hitting select (or backing all the way out using the back button).
  • Changed file browser operation so that if you attempt to back out of it, you get warned that the running game will be ended and you cannot save any more.
  • In JB mode, tools menu appears on the main menu which has CopySNES and cheat codes.
  • Cheat codes is moved into the file browser settings menu.
MD5: 7ec0520ecafbceb16388e13a431b188a

Super NT Jailbreak v6.6 - GitHub
CopySNES.Instructions.txt - GitHub

There are only a couple of tiny bugs with games remaining that kevtris knows about which he knew how to fix before this was released but it was held back for further testing as every time you fix one thing, other things fall apart. Bug fixing is almost over and we should start to see more new features appearing with the next firmware update. :)

dolabla

Wow! That was one of the features I did want to see was dumping my own carts as backup on an SD card. That is awesome. I wonder if this will only be present in the jailbreak? Or can it legally be put in an official update?

And welp, I'm officially very weak :D. I planned to stop buying games for the time being, but I caved again last night and got The Adventures of Batman & Robin unlike I said was. The bidding price was just too sweet and especially for it being in very good condition. I got it for just under $70. I'm pretty dang stoked about that considering this was one of the games I really, really, wanted and it usually runs for $80+ in very good condition.

Now I really do have to stop, haha.

Last edited:

StuOhQ

Neo Member
I'd really like to get one of these, but for now I'll just stick to my SNES with HD Retrovision component cables. The price point is attractive for this, though. Right in line with the AVS by RetroUSB.

JP

A couple of updates for people still wanting to buy these and for people awaiting their DAC for analogue output.

Analogue said:
Super Nt Restocks and Nt mini Availability

Analogue Support
Today at 14:24

Super Nt (black only) in stock and shipping now, limited quantities
There are a limited amount of Black Super Nt's in stock- shipping now. Once these are gone, it will be a few months before any additional Super Nt's are back in stock and shipping again.

We're producing more Super Nt's now
We didn't anticipate how incredible the response to Super Nt would be and we're currently sold out of all other variants (Classic, SF, and transparent). Once we saw the response, we began producing more units. We've been doing our best to keep up with demand. This production will be ready to ship this summer sometime. For the time being, black Super Nt units are in stock and shipping now- please note they are available in limited quantities.

We will open pre-orders when we have a more accurate ship date
We understand that people are frustrated about not being able to immediately get the Super Nt variant they'd like, and for that we apologize. We will open pre-orders for this next production run once we have a more accurate ship date. Pre-orders will become available sometime in May.

Nt mini is currently unavailable
Nt mini is an incredibly difficult and time consuming product to manufacture. We're currently focused on Super Nt and we don't have the manpower to produce another run at this time. Nt mini unfortunately requires a borderline unreasonable amount of oversight from our best people. We appreciate your understanding and please know we're bummed we can't make it available at this time, too.

JP

Yeah, it's good that they've finally confirmed that there will be moreIt seems they weren't expecting to produce another run of them so it's worth making sure you get one when these pre-order as it's possible that there won't be any more after that run.

I'm sure somebody will post in here when there's news though. I suppose if anybody wants to take as many precautions as possible then it may be worth setting up email notifications for this thread so at lest you'll be notified straight away. I mean, you will get an email every time something new is posted here but I'd probably put up with a few emails to increase my chance of getting one if I really wanted another one.

J JP

Thanks for the suggestion, I enabled email notifications and subscribed to Analogue's newsletter, just in case.

Fingers crossed!

How's everyone enjoying their Super NT's? Still playing games on them regularly?

JP

I absolutely love it.

It's clearly not a cheap machine but for me it has been worth every penny I spent on it and at some point I'll likely end up getting a Super Game Boy 2 for the system. They work well already but people have been asking for some specific Super Game Boy options to be added because it's understandably treated as a simple SNES signal at the moment. To something like 7x integer scaling could work really well with a SGB but at the moment the options are exactly the same as they for any SNES game so it only goes up ti 5x.

dolabla

J JP

Thanks for the suggestion, I enabled email notifications and subscribed to Analogue's newsletter, just in case.

Fingers crossed!

How's everyone enjoying their Super NT's? Still playing games on them regularly?

Oh man, you just don't know! :cool:

It has been amazing. I literally play mine almost every night. I'm not even joking around when I say this, but I have completely lost interest in new games because of this thing. Between collecting games for it and just the complete fun I've gotten out of it, it has been well worth the money I've spent. I had to slow down a little bit on buying the games, but I'll be back up and running later :).

My Clock Tower repro cart just shipped out today. I'm ready to play that. Link to the Past has seen the most play time from me so far (I'm near the ending). I'm going to try and beat Goof Troop tonight.

JP

Let us know what the Clock Tower cart is like, which colour did you go for? I tend to like the boring grey carts although they do a lovelly white Final Fantasy collection.

I keep looking at their overclocked StarFox Legacy cart and Secret of Mana 1 & 2.

dolabla

Will do. If I can get a good pic (my camera is trash), I'll take a pic of the pcb.

I went with the regular gray color. It was the only color they had listed for this game. I think you can contact them and request a different shell color, but I was just ready to order, lol. And plus, I think I would like the gray for this title anyways. I do like those translucent colors they have.

That Star Fox legacy cart sounds really cool.

I think the next cart I will get from them later on will be one of the Satellaview BS games. Maybe BS Mario with the translucent green shell or Zelda Ancient Stone Tablets.

Last edited:

JP

Wow, just been reading that SUPER-FX games are now running successfully on the SD2SNES. Not perfectly yet but the guy doing it only started it last month and I thought it would be absolutely months before it would be running like it is. Only nine games use the chip but there are some pretty important games there with Star Fox, Star Fox 2 and Yoshi's Island all working and with talk of being able to overclock the Star Fox games also being possible.

People can't believe that its actually happened let alone happened so quickly but people are actually testing this stuff as we speak. It's the work of one person, RedGuy and he's hosting it on his RedGuyyyy GitHub profile right now. I don't actually have a SD2SNES yet so I'm really not the person to give advice on this stuff.

dolabla dolabla Are you actually testing these games before you order them? I've been able to test a translate version of Secret of Mana 2 on the Nt and although I've not played enough of it to know whether it is better than the first game as people suggest, just a couple of hours of the game has pretty much sold me the repro.

Last edited:

dolabla

That will be cool for people who have the SD2SNES. I know reading around, I have seen a lot of people wanting it.

A lot of these games I've played before, but the ones I haven't (Secret of Evermore, Goof Troop, etc), I don't try them out before I buy them. I usually just go to YouTube and watch some gameplay vids to see if it looks like something I'd like. So far so good.

I'm definitely going to have to get Secret of Mana and Mana 2. Me and the guy I bought Secret of Evermore from on eBay got talking through message and he said if I liked Secret of Evermore (which so far I do) to definitely get Mana 2.

Last edited:

JP

I like Secret of Evermore, I think some of the disappointment for people comes from expecting/wanting it to be related to the other "Seiken Densetsu" games when it's something quite different to those games. Also, for me it's just not as polished as the Seiken Densetsu games and there are parts of it where it can get frustrating and leave you wondering why they've done something in certain way.

I think as long as you're going into it having an understanding of that and being wiling to be patient with it, there are good things about it too. Hey, you get a dog, that's always a bonus.

Maybe when I get the Secret of Mana games I'll see how much a custom build with Evermore on it too would be, I played it years ago but don't think I got anywhere near finishing it so it would be nice to have all three on there, even though it's a very different game. I now things start getting expensive there if you start doing custom cartridge builds though. We'll see.

I'll be honest, I do probably have all the S-FX games that I want already but as somebody who hasn't owned any physical games through all of this generation and most of the last generation, I do really love the idea of having all my games there in one place and ready to go. I know it sounds weird wanting to buy games but then to use an SD card but I suppose there's a lot about hobbies that don't really make any sense.

dolabla

Yeah, so far I seem to like it. I've gotten in around couple of hours of playing it so I'm probably not that far yet. I've just kind of been switching around which games I play each day since I bought so many of them :D.

I don't know how much it would be to put all 3 on a cart with Retro Circuits, but when I did talk to them I asked about the request feature they have and asked them how much it would cost to put the remake of the original Zelda (BS Zelda Maps 1 & 2) that released on the Satellaview on a cart. She said she was the tech person, but she thought it would be around $35.

I definitely see the convenience of it all with everything on an SD2SNES or SD card. It just makes everything way more simpler. You don't have switch out carts, etc.

For me personally, I have always and will always be physical first. I'm not a fan of today's digital age. There's just something about having a physical game with their art works and you actually own it. Especially for these old consoles, I like seeing these carts sticking out the top of the console on new hardware like the Super NT and realizing I'm really playing these 20+ year old cartridges that are sitting inside the Super NT in beautiful 1080p.

I also like the whole nostalgia of switching in and out of these carts on the Super NT. It's just like it used to be :). The one thing I don't miss is having blow carts out to get them to work. The Super NT fires them right on up.

I did have a little scare when first got it where I hadn't inserted my Japanese Yoshi's Island all the way in the cart slot (I didn't realize it). The right side was sticking up. It worked and then I got to a certain level and the game crashed and then I realized what I had done. I went and pressed the right side down, turned on the Super NT and it would not work anymore. Then my other games would not work. I was thinking oh god I've done messed something up. After trying to boot these games up a few times, it finally started working again........ except my Yoshi's Island cart. I tried and tried so I figured at this point I had fried the game somehow. Then I decided to clean it and try it. After that............ it booted right on up!

I have no idea what happened of why all my games stopped working because of that crash, then started working again and Yoshi's Island had to take a cleaning for it to work. But I have not had a game not boot up on the first try since.

My Clock Tower cart is coming in today. It better boot up on first try since I said that :D

Last edited:

caffeware

Banned
Someone with a sd2snes or similar can you check if this rom works in the super nt?

It's a super nintendo game I'm making:

//

Would appreciate some feedback if it does work.

Last edited:

JP

These aren't the best games in the world but playing them with the MSU1 patched John Williams soundtrack does make a hell of a difference.

C caffeware
On a Revision H (the latest version) SD2SNES with the latest firmware (v0.1.7e) and on a Super Nt with the latest official or jailbreak firmware, it seemed to work fine for me. It also worked on the Super Nt running jailbreak firmware without the SD2DNES.

It looked pretty interesting to be honest, although it was only a few minutes that I spent with it.

JP

C caffeware
I don't know if it will be any use at all as it's not official hardware but I'll try it again on the Super Nt but I'll set it up as a PAL system, just to see what happens.

ilfait

These aren't the best games in the world but playing them with the MSU1 patched John Williams soundtrack does make a hell of a difference.

C caffeware
On a Revision H (the latest version) SD2SNES with the latest firmware (v0.1.7e) and on a Super Nt with the latest official or jailbreak firmware, it seemed to work fine for me. It also worked on the Super Nt running jailbreak firmware without the SD2DNES.

It looked pretty interesting to be honest, although it was only a few minutes that I spent with it.

Yeah, it really gives them that 3DO feel that I crave.

Always interesting, but I haven't found an example of an MSU1 patch I've liked.

JP

C caffeware
I am sorry, I completely for got about testing it again, I will have a look later though. I certainly wouldn't describe it as easy, it seemed quite difficult to attack enemies for me.

Mmmm, my SA-1 Chatting Parodius Live, Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 kart from Retro Circuits has turned up. Not cheap but the quality is fantastic.

IMG_0961.jpg

I do love my Parodius games and this version may well be the best, some of the music suits it so well.

I'm now talking to Mark in Retro Circuits about a couple of custom carts.

Last edited:

ilfait

Mmmm, my SA-1 Chatting Parodius Live, Super Mario RPG, Kirby Super Star and Kirby's Dreamland 3 kart from Retro Circuits has turned up. Not cheap but the quality is fantastic.
That's lovely sir. Did you happen to take a photo of the PCB?

JP

ilfait ilfait
For the SA-1 games they use repurposed original Nintendo SA-1 carts/shells and I only have the boring traditional screwdrivers so I'm stuck there. I'd be happy to help if I could but apart from "hitting it with stuff" I'm a bit stuck.

dolabla

Well that's great news for people who were waiting for the other colors.

I've thought about picking up another Super NT for the den. If they have some several months from now I might get one.

I wanted a transparent one, but they have been discontinued. Hence, I got my second choice, the SFC colour. They took payment immediately, and dispatch is expected for September.

Apparently, I was very quick. I've had the store page on my cell phone for months, and when I checked it today I saw the preorder button. The email from analogue letting us know about the preorders didn't arrive until several hours after my previous post.

Right now, I'm on my way to pick up the retro receiver. I'm very excited about the Super NT, September can't come soon enough!

I got mine yesterday, after being hit by customs (84€). The device is beautiful, setting it up has been real easy. I have tried my retro receiver and SF30 pad and they work flawlessly, I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever. I flashed it with the 6.6 jailbreak firmware, and configured it according to this guide:

Even though it's set me back around 350€, all extras considered, I'm really in love with this device.

lukilladog

I´m sure that nintendo studied all the legal courses of action against this lol. Running the software doesn´t seem to be illegal, hardware is different, and the design seems different enough.

Last edited:

dolabla

I got mine yesterday, after being hit by customs (84€). The device is beautiful, setting it up has been real easy. I have tried my retro receiver and SF30 pad and they work flawlessly, I haven't noticed any lag whatsoever. I flashed it with the 6.6 jailbreak firmware, and configured it according to this guide:

Even though it's set me back around 350€, all extras considered, I'm really in love with this device.

Oh, nice to see you finally got one! :)

It is an amazing machine. I read a few weeks ago Kevtris has already started working on Analogue's new project. It's got to be the Genesis/Mega Drive. We might get an announcement sometime this year.

Oh, nice to see you finally got one! :)

It is an amazing machine. I read a few weeks ago Kevtris has already started working on Analogue's new project. It's got to be the Genesis/Mega Drive. We might get an announcement sometime this year.

It is! I've been playing Donkey Kong Country on my Super NT, and it looks gorgeous. I'm a bit saddened by the fact that 4.5 will probably be the last firmware update it gets and we'll miss on MS, GB and other cores; but it is what it is.

I think I will start collecting a few of the special chip games, mostly the ones that don't require a lot of reading and I can get cheap from Japan.

dirthead

Banned
The Super NT is going to age incredibly poorly because the hardware wasn't powerful enough to scale to high resolutions. It should have been able to do at least 4k natively--especially given what they're charging for this. It's not like it's some cheapo device. You might as well just throw together a decent PC at that point and use Higan.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
The Super NT is going to age incredibly poorly because the hardware wasn't powerful enough to scale to high resolutions. It should have been able to do at least 4k natively--especially given what they're charging for this. It's not like it's some cheapo device. You might as well just throw together a decent PC at that point and use Higan.
I don't think so. It looks absolutely gorgeous on a good 4K display. Using an LG C8, the pixels are scaled beautifully with no visible softening. It's an excellent machine.

The fact is, 4K would have been impossible right now due to the requirements of an FPGA chip necessary to reach that. It's simply not reasonable. There's a reason why nobody has yet to release a proper external 4K scaler or line doubler for retro gaming. This isn't just a matter of cost right now.

In a few years, this should be possible but it wasn't possible when the Super Nt was designed. 4K would have been nice but it wouldn't have influenced the experience in a major way unless you're TV is poor with scaling 1080p.

The point is that this is a silent, all-in-one device with a gamepad driven menu. Higan is an amazing emulator but it but it's not a great experience in the living room.

I know you love to shit on developers but I don't think you're giving the engineering efforts of Kevin enough credit here. You can bet your ass he thought about 4K output but discovered that it simply wasn't feasible yet.

Honestly, though, the preferred way to play Super NES is still an original system paired with a PVM.

dirthead

Banned
I don't think so. It looks absolutely gorgeous on a good 4K display. Using an LG C8, the pixels are scaled beautifully with no visible softening. It's an excellent machine.

The fact is, 4K would have been impossible right now due to the requirements of an FPGA chip necessary to reach that. It's simply not reasonable. There's a reason why nobody has yet to release a proper external 4K scaler or line doubler for retro gaming. This isn't just a matter of cost right now.

In a few years, this should be possible but it wasn't possible when the Super Nt was designed. 4K would have been nice but it wouldn't have influenced the experience in a major way unless you're TV is poor with scaling 1080p.

The point is that this is a silent, all-in-one device with a gamepad driven menu. Higan is an amazing emulator but it but it's not a great experience in the living room.

I know you love to shit on developers but I don't think you're giving the engineering efforts of Kevin enough credit here. You can bet your ass he thought about 4K output but discovered that it simply wasn't feasible yet.

Honestly, though, the preferred way to play Super NES is still an original system paired with a PVM.

Don't say I love to shit on developers when you don't know anything about me. Thanks.

Pretty much every display on the market either doesn't scale properly or adds input lag when it does. If the hardware doesn't exist to do the job properly, it wasn't a good time to release the product.

Higan isn't a great experience in the living room? What does that even mean? You can package a PC in any form factor you want and connect it to a TV. It's no different than the Super NT or any video game console. Actually, I take that back. There is a difference. You can't run games at the SNES's native refresh rate without tearing on a Super NT. You can do this with a Freesync capable TV with a Higan setup. A proper setup with Higan is objectively a superior living room experience than the Super NT. You just shit on emulation developers when you falsely suggested otherwise.

Finally, it's 2018. The preferred way of playing any video game is not fumbling around with cartridges and discs like a sap. Retroarch actually supports CRTs. You could connect a PC to a PVM with a CRT Emudriver setup. With runahead, SNES games actually have less input lag than they do on original hardware.

Thanks.

Last edited:

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Don't say I love to shit on developers when you don't know anything about me. Thanks.

Pretty much every display on the market either doesn't scale properly or adds input lag when it does. If the hardware doesn't exist to do the job properly, it wasn't a good time to release the product.

Higan isn't a great experience in the living room? What does that even mean? You can package a PC in any form factor you want and connect it to a TV. It's no different than the Super NT or any video game console. Actually, I take that back. There is a difference. You can't run games at the SNES's native refresh rate without tearing on a Super NT. You can do this with a Freesync capable TV with a Higan setup. A proper setup with Higan is objectively a superior living room experience than the Super NT. You just shit on emulation developers when you falsely suggested otherwise.

Finally, it's 2018. The preferred way of playing any video game is not fumbling around with cartridges and discs like a sap. Retroarch actually supports CRTs. You could connect a PC to a PVM with a CRT Emudriver setup. With runahead, SNES games actually have less input lag than they do on original hardware.

Thanks.
I think it's clear that we value different things and that's fine. I won't convince you otherwise nor will you convince me.

You are objectively wrong about displays that don't scale properly or add lag, however. The C8 adds no additional latency when displaying 1080p and does a tremendous job scaling pixel art to 4K. It's not the only one either. Which displays have you tested to form that opinion? What you're saying is simply false!

Fundamentally, we're just going to have to disagree with on the second points. I do prefer carts and discs with original hardware, you don't. That's fine. Your suggestion is totally valid and works great (though RetroArch on a CRT is a huge pain in the ass, I've found, but hey). On that note, I would like to find a way to convert an HDMI 480p signal to 240p analog output. Haven't found a good way to do this on the cheap.

I don't mean to insult you with the first comment, by the way, I apologize. I'm only judging based on your posts which often come off as unfair and overly negative. Maybe that's not your real intention.

Last edited:

dirthead

Banned
I think it's clear that we value different things and that's fine. I won't convince you otherwise nor will you convince me.

You are objectively wrong about displays that don't scale properly or add lag, however. The C8 adds no additional latency when displaying 1080p and does a tremendous job scaling pixel art to 4K. It's not the only one either. Which displays have you tested to form that opinion? What you're saying is simply false!

Fundamentally, we're just going to have to disagree with on the second points. I do prefer carts and discs with original hardware, you don't. That's fine. Your suggestion is totally valid and works great (though RetroArch on a CRT is a huge pain in the ass, I've found, but hey).

I don't mean to insult you with the first comment, by the way, I apologize. I'm only judging based on your posts which often come off as unfair and overly negative. Maybe that's not your real intention.

I'm not arguing that the C8 specifically isn't fine. Just because you can list one display that scales up well doesn't mean that most of them do. A lot of displays are absolutely terrible at rendering non native resolutions.

Last edited:
Top Bottom